What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='crunchewy']Ordered a new Kindle Paperwhite. It looks like a pretty sweet e-ink reader indeed. Too bad it won't ship until October 1st. :( Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to getting mine as well. Lit screen will be great for me as I read in dim lighting a lot, same with the whiter background. Always found the Kindles a tad grey for my liking.

1Q84. I read the first 3 chapters. Apparently this is not Murakami's best work but I have never read anything by him so I can't compare.

Gave up on that Poul Anderson book. Started another Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe book.

51yrRYDbbHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Only about 200 pages so I should be done with it in a few days.

Finishing up both Dracula and Midnight's Children. Started China Men by Maxine Hong Kingston.

Last edited by a moderator:
xenocide by orson scott card
metatroplis
both good, xenocide is part of the ender's game series and metatropolis is a series of stories where the authors came together and made up a sci-fi setting then broke back up into individuals and wrote their stories, its neat.
Readn Wool very recently, vey good book. Highly suggest it.

[quote name='eldergamer']Finishing off the Night Angel Trilogy.

5145wdy5hxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

While I enjoyed the Trilogy as a whole, the first book, from a narrative and cohesiveness standpoint (unity, tension, ambiquity and irony), the first book is the better of the three. Towards the end of the second book, it began to drag on and on and did so into the third book. Still, I like Weeks' writing style . I'd like to jump into his Lightbringer series at some point.

Currently reading Pump Six and Other Stories. It's a series of short stories written by Paola Bacigalupi, who won the 2009 Hugo and Nebula for The Windup Girl. For a relatively new author, I really enjoy his writing style. He has a nice way of putting you into a setting without feeling like he needs to explain everything as he goes along.

[quote name='chimpian']xenocide by orson scott card
metatroplis
both good, xenocide is part of the ender's game series and metatropolis is a series of stories where the authors came together and made up a sci-fi setting then broke back up into individuals and wrote their stories, its neat.
Readn Wool very recently, vey good book. Highly suggest it.[/QUOTE]

Metatropolis sounds interesting. I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist.

The last 200 pages of Beyond The Shadows were pretty bad. Way, way too rushed and far too many "amazing" things happening in the background or just hand waved away. And then,
happy ending for everyone. Evil army is defeated by songs, love, and the Dark Hunter (?) Huh? The lord of darkness hates the undead. Okay, sure. Goodnight.

About to start this tonight at work. Then again, after looking at the reviews from Amazon, maybe not.
I didnt like the last Jack McDevitt book either. But I liked his earlier ones just fine.

31PwV0waDBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished up Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. One of the best, if not the best, Postcolonial books I've ever read.

Also Finished up China Men by Maxine Hong Kingston. There is some good, beautiful writing here, but it's quite disjointed with no real direction.

Starting Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison.

Finally finished Food Inc. Had been busy and the book was pretty crappy--just a collection of interviews and essays, so took a while to slog through.

Started:

51CAqjsQOAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished the first two sections of "Wool" and while he'd definitely benefit from an editor it's a decent read. So far I'd definitely recommend it, plus it's only $.99 and you'd be supporting a self-published author.

Last really good fiction I read was "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson. First Stephenson I've read (left the scifi genre for a graduate degree in Postmodern American lit). Now I've got most of his bibliography on my iPad.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Thunderstruck is pretty good. Have you read Devil In The White City? If not definitely check that one out. I liked it a lot.[/QUOTE]

Indeed I have. It was great, I loved it and its why I got this :). Any more recommendations for books like that?

[quote name='kerouac kid']I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey. It is different. I'm starting Herzog tonight.[/QUOTE]

If Fifty Shades tickled your fancy, then check out a much better (literary) S&M book: Pauline Réage's (Anne Desclos) "Story of O." She presents an interesting take on power roles ("topping from the bottom"). Anyway if you can stomach some pretty graphic eroticism its a good read especially if you're familiar with Hegelian dialectic.

Currently reading on Kindle: First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, book 1)- Michael R. Hicks.

On paperback: Acacia: The War With the Mein (book 1): David Anthony Durham.

I just bought the Humble eBook Bundle and read Old Man's War. It was a really good interesting Sci-fi novel, and I got it plus some other books in the bundle for 10 dollars I think it was pretty much worth it on that book alone.

Just finished Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist which means it's now time to move onto This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong. It's the sequel to one of my favorite books so I'm looking forward to it.

Reading this because. I don't know, it was available on the library's new release page. Didn't realize it was a Forgotten Realms book. Haven't read one of those in probably 15 years or so.
It's very simple and straightforward. Easy reading at work.

51q2zoXQ1oL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Finished The Dog Stars and about to start Ashfall.

Btw, have read a few books on my paperwhite now. I've owned the K3, K4 (non touch), and now the paperwhite. Have to say this thing is amazing. The light is impressive and a wonderful addition. It's worth the price tag if you love reading. I was one of those people who thought they really needed physical page turn buttons. The device is very responsive and it's so much better for definitions and notes than using the scroller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went down to Chicago to see Mark Z Danielewski read The 50 Year Sword accompanied by a famous pianist (something O'reily). It was amazing!!!!! Granted i imported and read the book 7 years ago for a good chunk of change; so this "new release" of good wasn't new to me. If the recording of the night ever gets posted I'll share it. He read the entire book, took about an hour.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Oh fuck, did it finally get re-released? I've wanted to read it for years but no way was I dropping a few hundred on what amounted to a novella.[/QUOTE]

Today actually, $14.xx on Amazon. The ebook is really cool though too

Finished up both Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. Absolutely fantastic. Of any American author, I'd say she has the most beautiful style and ability to create brilliant characters.

Moving on to The Assistant by Bernard Malamud and Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee.

Finished Gauntlgrym and on to the second book in the trilogy.

51As%2BAIBVDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Very good so far. Series is getting more interesting again since between book 1 here, and the last trilogy, Salvatore has
killed off most of the major supporting cast. And the story line has jumped around 100 years form the last trilogy so far.

bread's done
Back