What are your next gen plans? (Can delete vote and vote again if your plans change)

PC, WiiU, and Portables for me. I'm in wait-and-see mode for the PS4. I'll probably get one eventually, but that'll depend on price, exclusives, backwards compatibility, used games, and any always-online annoyances.

The Xbox One reveal already put me off enough that I doubt I'll ever get one unless they somehow remove some of the bullshit or have the most amazing library of exclusives since the SNES.

Already got portables. XBone is a definite no due to online requirement and expected library. PS4 is up in the air. As long as they don't include any dealbreakers(online requirement, used game blocks), I'm in. Otherwise, it'll be some combination of PC, sitting out console gaming, and/or the option that dare not speak it's name(after someone cracks it).

Good idea for a poll, dmaul!

I'll be skipping this gen, at least for now. There are plenty of games I have not played this generation that I would love to immerse myself in, once I get the chance. Doesn't it seem like the new consoles are losing their edge when it comes to being about gaming? Improved controller latency on the PS4 is great, but I don't need the ability to watch live tv, talk to friends while playing, or so on and so forth. The options now are great. Also, a good point was raised that for the viewers who like having these options all in one place, they are still missing out on DVR or pausing and fast-forwarding through recorded tv shows.

This generation's heavy focus on social media has me wanting to create a platform myself. I don't like having all these options, I just want great games. Of course these options are going to hike up the costs of the X1 and PS4. Without a doubt both are coming out with slim designs in a matter of years, perhaps teams are already working on such models (both consoles look mammoth). I am disappointed to see video games going in this direction.

Heavily leaning toward PS4 in a couple of years due to Xbox One's Bruce Lee One Inch Punch tier assortment of fail features. The ultra creepy mandatory Kinetic bullshit being the worst of them all. So until Microsoft decides to take their head out of their ass I'm keeping a close eye on Sony for now.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The earlier 360 line-up was quite a bit more experimental, but their library just got more and more bland over time. I have no faith in Microsoft's game development at this point.[/QUOTE]
This pretty much sums up my own feelings about the 360; couldn't have said it better myself.

As soon as Haswell is released, I've got $500 (that I was going to put towards the next Xbox) to buy a new CPU, mobo, and possibly some RAM. For the price, the gtx 700 aren't blowing me away, so I'll hang onto to my 670 FTW til the 800 or maybe even 900 are released. After all the console maker shenanigans of this gen, I don't think I'll give either Sony or Msoft my money until a significant price drop and they evolve into whatever final state of UI/features/firmware permanence.

I voted for three of the choices:

Vote #1 - Focus on backlog.

I have PS2,GameCube,PS3, and the Xbox library to work through (I've only had the 360 for two years so that would take the longest).

Vote #2 - Wii U

I highly doubt PS4 and X1 are going to be $300 but besides the price,I want to get this because the Wii U plays Wii games - a system I never owned. Add that with the Virtual Console and this should keep me busy for years. However, I will still ...

Vote #3 - Wait and see

Anything can happen at E3. Since PS4 and XB1 aren't BC and will probably cost half a grand with a game or two, I'm thinking of waiting for the PS5 and/or Xbox Two (Xbox OneTwo? Xbox One Part Two?) since chances are the library will be big enough to get a game I'm interested in right away at a lower price. On the other hand, there may be Vita or 3Ds news that convinces me to buy one or the other.

[quote name='Cage017']Anything can happen at E3. Since PS4 and XB1 aren't BC and will probably cost half a grand with a game or two, I'm thinking of waiting for the PS5 and/or Xbox Two[/QUOTE] Half a grand for the console AND two gams!?! That console is gonna be way over that without any games. And games are probably gonna cost more. Up to $100. :(

work on my back log of current gen/older games until next gen gets cheaper (console and games/bigger library).  Made the mistake of buying near launch 3DS, foul me once shame on you, foul me twice shame on me, foul me thrice - you must have distraced me with hot chicks.

Will be getting a PS4 (assuming Sony doesn't follow in MS foot steps), 3DS, Vita, and WiiU. I'm waiting on the redesigns of the 3DS and Vita atp, and will be getting a WiiU once "X" is out along with picking up any titles by Platinum Games / Retro Studios.

Waiting to see who has the best DRM stuff. Not looking good for XBOX. If Sony stays away from the restrictions like XBOX I might buy a PS4. If not, it is PC-only for me. Maybe a Wii U.

Honestly I'll stick with PS3 and 360 if the DRM issue is cross-platform. I don't even buy used games, but I do sell games I don't like. I'll pick up the Wii if the price gets low enough and they put out some more decent games. I got the Wii for NSMB and Mario Kart and those ended up being the only games I liked.

If the DRM crap is on PS4 too, I'll definitely stick with current gen stuff as long as possible and see how that plays out, if it eventually gets tweaked or taken away if sales tank etc.

If not, I'd probably end up eventually buying whichever one has the most games I want to play, and just being MUCH more selective about what I buy (and for what price) since my resell options would be much more limited than now.

Pending any E3 revelations about PS4, I'll be 100% getting one.  When will largely depend on price and what games are available.  As it stands, there's still plenty coming to PS3 into next year that will keep me occupied.

After today's news I'm leaning closer to just skipping this console generation. I'll build a gaming PC for BioWare games and maybe down the line pick up a PS4 for the next Final Fantasy. Going to miss Gears of War though... :(

My next console will be a SFF PC which lives under the TV.

I have been a console-focused gamer since the NES days and I tend to purchase them all each gen but since this coming gen looks to just be PCs in the digital distribution DRM sense then why in the hell would I want that on a closed platform like a console when I already have that with Steam on a far superior open platform?

The only true benefit left of owning a console is what consumers can do in regards to physical media so if Microsoft and/or Sony remove that benefit then it just leaves us with inferior closed platforms with the same digital DRM bullshit as PCs only without any of the benefits which PCs offer because they are open.

I can buy a game on Steam and then replace like 3 files and completely negate any DRM or just purchase DRM-free PC games or a bit of both or use virtualization and emulation or whatever. That's the point of openness; it gives consumers options and control whereas the closed systems give the publishers and platform holders options and control.

I'm not anti-DRM and I love Steam but if what's special about consoles is going away then I'd far rather trust Valve with my digital future than Sony and Microsoft as they both just told me that my digital library doesn't matter to them going forward whereas I always know that I can force my old PC purchases to work going forward despite any OS or hardware changes.

Games are now all about DRM so the argument becomes: "Do you want an open system where you can avoid/negate DRM or do you want a closed system where you can't?"

edit: Post Conferences -

The Xbox One is still absolutely out of the question for me. I have zero interest in their exclusives and their anti-consumer policies are still gross.

Sony announcing that online multiplayer would now be locked-away behind the PS+ paywall rubbed me the wrong way but were they to offer me a free way to use my existing PS3 digital library on PS4 via Gaikai then I'd be willing to consider a PS4 given some of the interesting exclusives.

As it stands, Microsoft and Sony have both given my digital libraries (360 and PS3) the middle-finger when it comes to their next-gen consoles and that is a huge mistake in the face of Steam, GOG, PC in-general, Android, and iOS. I play and purchase old games all the time and, while I have no problem with an all-digital future, you simply have to keep my shit working going forward period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really love my 3DS, honestly a couple games a year on the 3DS is all I need so I don't see myself making the leap to next gen for a while and if the DRM stuff continues and I am unable to sell my games on my own then the only console I will be getting is a Wii U.

The backlash against MS might cause some positive changes to the Xbox One's "features" that will cause me to get one near launch.

I'll probably get a PS4 right out the gate barring another 599 US dollars debacle.

Already have a Wii U that gets used infrequently but I have too many VC games to ever get rid of it. I just wish more of the library would hurry up and make the jump, Super Metroid looks amazing in 1080p.

I also already have a 3ds that will be getting replaced by the Animal Crossing XL next week. Great system with tons of gems already. I just wish the VC was more extensive and focused more on games that I can't get on Nintendo's home systems (Gameboy, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket).

The Vita is gaining some steam with me because of PS+ but I'm waiting to see if any amazing bundles show up either around e3 or at Christmas.

I'm still not totally sure yet, I'll definitely keep up PC gaming but in terms of one of the upcoming next gen consoles, I might either stay out of it or maaaaaaybe give the PS4 a try depending on if any of the initial games really start catching my eye. 

Sony just announced support for used games, no restrictions, no online check in. They made my choice for me. Thanks Sony. PS4 for me.

After Sony's press conference tonight I am completely sold.  They made the idea of getting an Xbox One laughable to me.

I've had an Xbox in my house since 2001, been on Xbox Live since 2004, and got a 360 at launch in Nov 2005. Microsoft had a good strategy for the 360. They got it out earlier than Sony or Nintendo and had a lower price point than the PS3.  My friends all have 360s, the small group I continue to play BF3 and a couple other games with right now.

All of that history and now they just take a dump on the consumer with DRM, necessary kinect, and necessary online connection. The always online thing isn't a problem for me but there are plenty of people in rural places without access to good internet speeds.  I fully expect MS to come out and at least take back one of those requirements, at this point to the educated-about-new-consoles consumer it would be suicide not to.

I'm sure they'll get good initial sales with the uninformed moms and dads out there buying consoles, the younger kids that just don't care about this stuff yet and some who still want to buy, but I'm done with the Xbox, at least for now. They've shown me they're brash enough and don't give a crap.  I know the future is in mega hard drives and digital downloads, the problem is that we're just not there yet; we have at least a few more years of physical copies. 

So I'll probably wait it out a little bit with my 360, until my current Live subscription runs out, and eventually pick up a PS4. I've got a pretty good PC setup so I may venture into more games on it.  Sorry for the longish post, just can't believe the differences in these consoles for basic functions.  Here's to hoping the consumer shows MS what is up.

Changed my vote to ps4 and portables. Already preordered the PS4 on Amazon.

360 got the most play by far from me this gen, but with the DRM, Kinect and $500 price tag MS can fuck off. Happy to buy a PS4 day one to vote with my wallet.

I did wait and see. Xbox really looked silly next to PS4 at E3 but I bet Microsoft will either make choices between release and a revised system. I hate to say I feel brand loyal to Xbox but the first xbox turned out great over time and I loved the 360 and hated playing games on my PS3 because of the controller. I'm going to just keep playing current gen games til they stop and just make them for the new gen. It's not like there aren't plenty of games out there in the current gen that will be on the cheap once the new gen games come out.

Sony's conference made me feel better about getting a PS4. Price is perfect.

But I can't get it unless my monthly pay increases by more than 50%. Wii U is cheaper and has my attention with the Wii backlog and Smash Bros. with Mega Man (saw the trailer this morning; blew my mind).  But I'm still going to wait until it's $50 cheaper.

In other words, my votes still stand. Backlog is enormous but their trade in value when finished could help me get a Wii U (more likely) or PS4 - each of which have a library I'm very interested in.

Post E3 Conferences:

PS4: I have it pre-ordered on Amazon. I'm pretty excited about getting it!

Xbox One: No way in hell.

Wii U: I already have one and I like it. I love Nintendo games.

PC: I have a PC that I sometimes play games on. It's not my primary platform by any means, but I will continue to play games on PC.

Portables: I already have a 3DS XL and I do plan on getting a Vita eventually. It may not be for a few years because I don't really game all that much on portables and the Vita is still pretty expensive.

Preordered both yesterday.

I was leaning towards going PS4, but after I saw they won't block 3rd party devs from using DRM I'll have to wait and see for more information to roll out.

I'll likely have both at some point, but will probably only be able to go with one on launch day. Could be which ever one comes out first honestly.

I was leaning towards going PS4, but after I saw they won't block 3rd party devs from using DRM I'll have to wait and see for more information to roll out.
They already clarified that.

Just means that 3rd parties can still do online passes (just like currently) if they want to restrict online MP in used games. Single player games will remain unaffected.

So it's nothing not already happening on PS3/360.

They already clarified that.

Just means that 3rd parties can still do online passes (just like currently) if they want to restrict online MP in used games. Single player games will remain unaffected.

So it's nothing not already happening on PS3/360.
Good to know. Was definitely feeling duped.

I've owned every console since Nintendo... Why stop now...?  Where is the poll for both or all?  Come on now!!!
Each console will have exclusive game titles so you must own them all in order to play them.
I'm only going to purchase exclusive games on the platforms and buy the rest off Steam for this Next-Gen.

I said I would buy a WiiU when Smash Bros. comes out.

I wish Smash Bros. came out tomorrow.

Also, really want X and Wonderful 101

I've owned every console since Nintendo... Why stop now...? Where is the poll for both or all? Come on now!!!
Each console will have exclusive game titles so you must own them all in order to play them.
I'm only going to purchase exclusive games on the platforms and buy the rest off Steam for this Next-Gen.
Unless it changed with the CAG 3.0 update the poll allows you to vote for multiple options, so I didn't put in any combination options.

Have to say as a total 'cheap ass' gamer who almost always buys games second hand and mostly inherits broken consoles from friends and uses the magic of google and youtube to fix them for himself :) , I wasn't planning on getting either xboxone or PS4 until way down the line.

After watching both conferences however,

Microsoft showed me exactly what I expected; graphics wise no huge leap, game play wise all much of a muchness, and the online stuff seems completely unnessecary to me (I understand it doesn't matter to folks who have their xbox online all the time and will use it as their entertainment system but I won't and don't want forced into it).

Also the kinect thing bugs me, I love the idea of the kinect and use my 360 kinect quite a lot as a means of exercise with kinect sports, but that's pretty much it, most of the other kinect games I have or have played have been garbage to laggy and just not good, they brought out some cool hardware and just haven't done anything for it (much like nintendo and the wii hardware I have lying around doing nothing)

so now their forcing a kinect on those who want an xboxone(which is reflected in the price) and have it on all the time, whaaa? if I thought they'd bring out some solid kinect games that actually work accurately, quickly and make it feel like your movements actually count for something, I'd say fair enough, but from what they've done with the 360's kinect why should I think that?

To me they have shown the kinects for skype, voice command and so they can test marketing techniques, I understand if some folks want it for exactly those reasons but I want it for game innovation and their not doing it(I hope that changes at some point).

Sony on the other hand put together a good conference that made me, as a gamer who plays both online and offline (75% offline) feel like they actually care about what gamers want. They showed a lot of games that will be on both consoles, but they did it well, and showed me that some of these games actually have new game play ideas(and not necessarily online multiplayer ideas) and it's not just exactly the same stuff on a new console (although graphics wise still not a lot going on). They brought in some indie guys, they brought up abe's odyssey, none of this online check nonsense and their not going to kill crappy second hand stores off (just yet). They just gave me the impression that the PS4 will be a games console first and other things second, while the impression I got for the xbox was being a full entertainment system which I don't need (I just want to play some fcking games).

So basically I will be having a good look over the footage from the rest of E3 over the weekend, then giving myself a few weeks to forget about it all and then see if Im still excited about the PS4, if I am, then I think I may go so far as to get one at launch (which is something I have never done before). The Sony conference made me excited about gaming for the first time probably since the original Xbox Playstation battle, and I just didn't expect it, so fair play to Sony, I just hope they can follow through with what they showed at the conference and it doesn't all fall flat on its ass, which I still kinda feel is probably more likely. :bouncy: Interesting stuff!

Honestly, seeing Destiny on PS4 has me interested in owning one (even though it's multiplatform). I figure multiplatform games will be pretty identical anyway. I'm on the fence regarding the Wii U leaning towards skipping it unless they make a cheap version sans tablet.

I'll skip the Xbone.

I have changed my vote to PS4 + Wii.

Honestly, seeing Destiny on PS4 has me interested in owning one (even though it's multiplatform). I figure multiplatform games will be pretty identical anyway. I'm on the fence regarding the Wii U leaning towards skipping it unless they make a cheap version sans tablet.

I'll skip the Xbone.

I have changed my vote to PS4 + Wii.
There will be no WiiU without a tablet. That would render certain games unplayable.

If you really just want a price drop though, I'm sure that'll happen down the line.

Someday I'll probably stop getting every console but this isn't going to be the generation that it happens. I'm still not sure when I'll get a Vita though, not much on the system that appeals to me. It's like the system's best games are all smaller versions of the best games on console.

depending on exclusives i MAY consider a ps4 down the road after having seen what sony had to show. would be nice to have a blu-ray player so i can justify some of the cost like that.

my base opinion doesn't really change though. when consoles moved away from Insert Game-Turn On-Play, they lost 99% of their appeal over a pc. hell, even on pc i'll fire up a game that loads quick and i can get into playing right away over some other game that i'd probably enjoy more.

My initial plan was to wait until 2015.  This way I could finally put a dent in my backlog. However, once M$ announced that you have to spend your points within one year after conversion, I decided to grab an X1.  XBL is paid through 2016 and I have a ton of MSP so I didn't feel like wasting hundreds of dollars in unwanted Xbox360 games. 

Sony press conference was impressive so I couldn't help myself and ended up pre-ordering a PS4.  I'll eventually cut down to one console based on what my friends play and what meets my needs. Until then, I'm bidding my time waiting for November to get here.

PS4 and portables for me. I just can't understand how anyone could support Microsoft and the way they want to take the industry. It may end up getting there anyway, but it will be without me at that point.

Honestly? I never thought I'd say this, but the only next-gen console I'm really interested in is the Wii U.

I've been doing progressively less gaming over the past few years, and PS3/360 games have been grabbing my interest less and less. Even big games I looked forward to--like Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, and Resident Evil 6--I bought, played a couple hours of, and never touched again. Both big sequels to stuff I loved (Bioshock Infinite) and cool new IPs (Last of Us), I just have no urge to get them. Everything just feels so goddamn "same" to me.

In the last year, probably 90 percent of my gaming time has been on the 3DS. Maybe it's because I've never had a Wii and therefore have been neglecting a lot of high-profile Nintendo games, but stuff like Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land have drawn me in like nothing can anymore. Maybe I'm becoming the dreaded "Casual gamer", but all I really want to play these days is a new Mario, a new Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, etc. There's just some great fun and simplicity to it.

Unfortunately, right now, the Wii U is priced waaay too high for me when stacked against what released games I'd like to play. Maybe when more games or released or we get some kind of early price drop, I'll bite. But I have super low interest in the PS4, and as it is, none whatsoever in the Xbone.

bread's done
Back