What changes to CAG would you like to see in 2007?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I disagree with you WSB.

How many newbies have had a deal of the year? Even if they took it to FW or SD, it is pretty obvious a lot of CAGS visit those places and would report any deals they see.

And the point about fearing padded junk posts? Come on, that's all the OTT and Off-Topic forum is about for the most part. If junk posts were a problem the Off-Topic forum would have had to been shut down years ago.[/quote]
*cough*

There should just be a "Three Strikes and You're Out" policy on stupid noob threads. After the first or second thread, they should be well aware of what's acceptable or not. After the third warning would be a temp ban unless permanent ones are in order.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']I think my main change that I'd like to see would be some sort of Save Draft type feature when you are posting. There have been waaay too many times when I've been writing a long post and forget to copy and paste it into Word or something, and I hit the Submit Reply button and lose everything I wrote because CAG logged me out.[/quote]CTRL-A, C before posting anything more than a paragraph long on CAG.

[quote name='guinaevere']CTRL-A, C before posting anything more than a paragraph long on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one that doesn't get auto-logged out on CAG?

I have to sign in once every 6 months, if that.

I am new here but I would like to see the videogame deasl forums broken down by format. If I come here looking for 360 deals it would be nicer not to have to waddle through the ps2 and other formats. The same thing goes with the ovenight price drops. It would be great if you can sort by system!

how about a frame or something on the forum page that shows which mods are online so people can report which threads need to be deleted?

[quote name='Aberforth']how about a frame or something on the forum page that shows which mods are online so people can report which threads need to be deleted?[/QUOTE]

If you look at the bottom of the Main Forums Page you can see which ones of us are on. We're the bold orange ones.

[quote name='shipwreck']If you look at the bottom of the Main Forums Page you can see which ones of us are on.[/quote]Only barely. Cheapy stands out as he's a different color. Y'all are in bold but you get lost owing to the sheer number of orange text names in 8pt font. It would help if the "who's on" list were alphabetical.

[quote name='shipwreck']If you look at the bottom of the Main Forums Page you can see which ones of us are on. We're the bold orange ones.[/quote]

oh thanks, thats good to know, then i retract my prior statement :oops:

[quote name='guinaevere']Only barely. Cheapy stands out as he's a different color. Y'all are in bold but you get lost owing to the sheer number of orange text names. It would help if the "who's on" list were alphabetical.[/QUOTE]

That was a big hit on the server when we used to do that if I remember correctly (as in: server no likey). Maybe we can get the mod names in a different color on the list though. You could always go to the "View CAG Team" at the bottom to see which of us is on as well.

[quote name='Aberforth']how about a frame or something on the forum page that shows which mods are online so people can report which threads need to be deleted?[/QUOTE]
You don't really need that either, just hit the Report Bad Post button
report.gif
next to the post that needs to be deleted.

[quote name='guinaevere']Only barely. Cheapy stands out as he's a different color. Y'all are in bold but you get lost owing to the sheer number of orange text names in 8pt font. It would help if the "who's on" list were alphabetical.[/QUOTE]The list used to be alphabetical, but that feature was turned off to streamline the pull on the server. Perhaps that can change if and when CAG gets additional server power.

[quote name='shipwreck']That was a big hit on the server when we used to do that if I remember correctly (as in: server no likey).[/quote]So that's why it changed.

Maybe we can get the mod names in a different color on the list though.
That would be nice. But... see next quote and reply

You could always go to the "View CAG Team" at the bottom to see which of us is on as well.
I've never used that link, thanks it's very helpful.

It is however very shocking. I knew there were only a few mods here but I never saw the list just as a list like that... that's a small group of friends you gots there, shipwreck.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You don't really need that either, just hit the Report Bad Post button
report.gif
next to the post that needs to be deleted.
[/QUOTE]

Half the mods don't even check that. I know of one mod who admits he just ignores the messages from that.

[quote name='Roufuss']Half the mods don't even check that. I know of one mod who admits he just ignores the messages from that.[/quote]

I still find it amusing that some people are against adding a few more mods.

[quote name='Roufuss']Half the mods don't even check that. I know of one mod who admits he just ignores the messages from that.[/quote]
Must be the new math... 1/10 = 1/2

[quote name='guinaevere']Only barely. Cheapy stands out as he's a different color. Y'all are in bold but you get lost owing to the sheer number of orange text names in 8pt font. It would help if the "who's on" list were alphabetical.[/quote]Changed it to gray.

[quote name='CheapyD']Must be the new math... 1/10 = 1/2[/quote]

I believe that's some fuzzy math there from Roufuss. :lol:;)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I still find it amusing that some people are against adding a few more mods.[/quote]I don't see that it would hurt the site. But it's Cheapy's site. He does as he believes is best.

[quote name='CheapyD']Changed it to gray.[/quote]Beauty! They're uber easy to find now. Sanks a million.

[quote name='guinaevere']I don't see that it would hurt the site. But it's Cheapy's site. He does as he believes is best.

[/quote]

True. But the feedback forum is our chance to offer suggestions and being a regular member is different from being the owner, moderator, technician, artist, or any other contributor directly tied to the site. Maybe a poll should be taken?

It'd be good if we got an A/V Question forum... since there's a shit-ton of people who are wondering which TV they should buy, how stuff should be hooked up, etc. And that way, it's easier for me to tell people that the $50 HT system with DVD player they're considering isn't any good.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'] Maybe a poll should be taken?[/quote]I thought there had been? ::checks::

Nope. Not a poll. Just an opinion thread. My mistake.

[quote name='Chacrana']It'd be good if we got an A/V Question forum... [/quote]Citizen B was talking about sticking an HD tv thread up in the off topic discussions, but your idea sounds more effective. Just one forum added to the Lifestyle Block. An A/V ClubGeek type forum. No idea how much traffic it would generate, but it sounds rational.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2581766&postcount=31[/quote]That's bound to be the case with many forum sites, Guile. Every person is unique and sees fit to handle situations differently.

I'll agree that it can and does make for frustration on the part of the community when seemingly similar instances are treated with unrelated resolution. It begets confusion understandibly. And then you sit there, the caring community member that you are, wondering if you ought report an issue you feel is detrimental to the site as a whole, because you've seen so many similar issues ignored or shrugged off.

It'd be nice if there was a ban announcement (I know this would be hard to do though). Maybe a forum that says, CAG *insert name* banned for *insert infraction*. People often wonder why people were banned and it leads to unnecessary conversation most of the time until a mod comes in and says what happened.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It'd be nice if there was a ban announcement (I know this would be hard to do though). Maybe a forum that says, CAG *insert name* banned for *insert infraction*. People often wonder why people were banned and it leads to unnecessary conversation most of the time until a mod comes in and says what happened.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I really like that idea. Perhaps just a sticky in the Assistance Forum?

I forget who said it, and I know I even railed on the bad post button, but if there is one thing the moderators do great (and their is a core group of them, but I won't name names... people know who I mean), it's that they remove offensive posts almost immediately. I've never had it where I've marked an offensive post using the bad post button and it's never disappeared within an hour.

How about some kind of point system? A great post containning crucial info, great deal or coupon can be worth some sort of point/points. Also, these points then could be traded in for something or whatever. This would encourage people to most more deals and can greatly benefit the community. For example, what slickdeals.net does, but cooler and better. I am actually surprised CAG doesn't do this already...is there a reason why?

I just thought of this...

It would be REALLY handy if the Strikeout
strikeoutbutton.gif
icon were available for Quick Reply and Quick Edit (handy for tradelists). Would it be possible to add it say, next to the Media
media.gif
icon?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It would be REALLY handy if the Strikeout
strikeoutbutton.gif
icon were available for Quick Reply and Quick Edit (handy for tradelists). Would it be possible to add it say, next to the Media
media.gif
icon?

[/quote]It's a VERY simple vB code [ s ] [ / s] . But even so, if in your editing, you click the "Go Advanced" button, the
strikeoutbutton.gif
will show up. Next to the Media
media.gif
icon, no less.

[quote name='guinaevere']It's a VERY simple vB code [ s ] [ / s] . But even so, if in your editing, you click the "Go Advanced" button, the
strikeoutbutton.gif
will show up. Next to the Media
media.gif
icon, no less.[/quote]

Yeah, it's just that it is an extra step to use "Go Advanced" whereas the icons for B, I, U and the others are more readily accesible in Quick Edit. Admittedly, it is a minor thing though.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Am I the only one that doesn't get auto-logged out on CAG?

I have to sign in once every 6 months, if that.[/QUOTE]

I've never been auto-logged out of CAG as far as I can recall. The only times I've had to log back in are times I've logged out manually.

Either use the official threads or don't even bother. Stuff that belongs in the store clearance threads. If it's something that deserves it's own thread, I'm sure you weren't the first to find it.

Now Cochese, you wouldn't be referring to those Target clearance threads which belong in the Target clearance thread, would you? ;)

I agree with you big time. I even took the liberty of PMing a couple mods about half an hour ago to see if those duplicate threads could be dealt with to clear out the clutter on the main board.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It'd be nice if there was a ban announcement (I know this would be hard to do though). Maybe a forum that says, CAG *insert name* banned for *insert infraction*. People often wonder why people were banned and it leads to unnecessary conversation most of the time until a mod comes in and says what happened.[/quote]

Or have a "mod log" like at private torrent sites.

Here's one...

Users new to CAG for less than a month should hit an intercept when they try to create a new thread. It could go something like this:

You're trying to create a new thread...are you a moron, illiterate, or otherwise functionally retarded? Y/N

Are you sure this hasn't already been posted or isn't currently in discussion? Y/N

Did you use the search feature? Y/N

Seriously? Y/N

This button?
dis_hdr_nav_search.gif
Y/N

Did you mean to post this in the [insert name of current subforum]? Y/N

Really, did you read the description? Y/N

Read it again. [insert forum description] Do you still wish to post it here? Y/N

You're absolutely positive? Y/N

If you're wrong everyone's going to make your thread miserable. Continue? Y/N

Last chance, want to back out? Y/N

Ooo, I have another idea to throw out.

Maybe a smiley tag every time somebody writes, "CAGers." Like the whole Shaq-fu/F*** deal. I know some people here freak out when somebody writes CAGers, so it may be good for a laugh if nothing else. Maybe teach some grammar. :)

And while we are at it, this needs addressing. We have a decent (for the most part) discussion in the Vs. forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125498

The n-word should be $$$$$$ not the "Ninja" graphic. Just like the f-word for homosexuals and the g-word for asians. Those show up as $$$$$$ and $$$$ and not some little graphic if you type them. If there is going to be a graphic for the n-word then there should be for other insensitive words as well.

what about changing the custom tag for anyone with exactly one post and one day to "SPAMBOT- REPORT IMMEDIATELY"
It seems like the only people with exactly one post are... spambots

maybe that's not such a great idea, but still...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']And while we are at it, this needs addressing. We have a decent (for the most part) discussion in the Vs. forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125498

The n-word should be $$$$$$ not the "Ninja" graphic. Just like the f-word for homosexuals and the g-word for asians. Those show up as $$$$$$ and $$$$ and not some little graphic if you type them. If there is going to be a graphic for the n-word then there should be for other insensitive words as well.[/quote]
I will support that. (Didn't see that thread until after my post about the CAGers thing. Makes me seem a bit insensitive. I think Guile's suggestion is a little more important. Sorry.)

[quote name='GuyWithGun']I will support that. (Didn't see that thread until after my post about the CAGers thing. Makes me seem a bit insensitive. I think Guile's suggestion is a little more important. Sorry.)[/quote]

I appreciate the support. I hope more join in. I don't know if people will care about this or not, but this topic is the perfect place to bring this up.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I appreciate the support. I hope more join in. I don't know if people will care about this or not, but this topic is the perfect place to bring this up.[/QUOTE]

I 3rd it, like you or someone said in that thread making it $$$$ takes away all its power 'cause no one knows what was typed. I think all forms of it should be censored.

Also how about 2 more mods. Just mainly for batting clean up so to speak.

bread's done
Back