What do you think is the best TV show of all time?

keithp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I was watching TV Land last night and it dawned on me that there have been alot of great shows since the beginning of TV in the 50s. I know it's hard to pick just one, but if you had to then what series do you think should win for the best of all time?

For me I think I might have to give it to the Twilight Zone (original, not the remakes). Man, for a show from 1961 it's pretty mind-blowing in the stories they told. Sure the special effects suck compared to now, but that show had SUCH imagination!

So let's hear yours, any show, any time period, any genre, and why you think it's the best!

Without a doubt - THE WIRE.

The best written, acted and directed show of all time. So incredibly complex and moving. It's the high point of television as a medium.

Honestly, I think Futurama is a serious contender for "best sshow of all time."

Futurama manages to blend likeable characters, good AND smart humor, good story writing, and not be to cram full of stupid pop culture references that have killed most other cartoons in the last 10 years. Only god knows if the show will still keep up with it's consistent quality throughout the episodes (even the "bad" episodes were still very good in comparison) after the show is put back on the air in 2008, or if it will take the dark route of never changing the same formula of each episode like Family Guy.

[quote name='BigHow']Without a doubt - THE WIRE.

[/quote]

Oh shit. I forgot about HBO. Deadwood and Rome are in my top 5 for sure.

Simpsons. While it's reputation takes a hit with every new episode, the early middle seasons were just that good.

Seinfeld for me.

The Simpsons are also up there, I mean seasons 2 - 6 are absolutely amazing.

Weeds is also a very good show - easily the best show on tv right now, but it's too soon to call it "the best show ever made."

In terms of pure consistency throughout the entire run i'd have to second futurama. Simpsons took a dive as did lost.

[quote name='Magehart']In terms of pure consistency throughout the entire run i'd have to second futurama. Simpsons took a dive as did lost.[/QUOTE]Futurama's run isn't over yet, though, so it could go the way of Family Guy.

Buffy.

Runnerups would include Angel, Firefly, Heroes, and Rosewell (with stuff like Lost and Nowhere Man and the X-Files below that, though still excellent).

no contest

wonder2.jpg

I'll go with The Simpsons. Even to this day they still make me laugh. I find that the episodes get better with age and repeated viewings. I remember thinking during season 7 or 8 that it had slipped but now all of those episodes are classics.

Runner-up: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Married with Children. The show got funnier and funnier and the grand final was okay and funny. We also got to see a little bit of Dragnet where we get to see Ed O'neill other acting skills in King Of Comedy Display.

End of disscusion..........Then again South Park never gets old and when it does they bring out something new all the time.

The Simpsons got to boring for me. I mean make them grow up already.

Another show I miss is Chasta MCnasty with Eugeine Golvolda. It had the preimere of Vern the Midget who went on to bigger stardom. That was such a perfect show then they turned it into a Soap opera.

Student Bodies which turned into saved by the bell too fast. This is a contender with the school characters provided. I loved that show when Reboot and Fudge was on for awhile.

Special Unit Two and Secret Agent Man could have been up there if they made it more down to earth.

All in the Family, MASH, and the original Twilight Zone would be my top 3. Hard to pick one as the 'best'.

There have been a lot of really good shows since, but I think the public standards for what should be said / shown on TV have become more restrictive since the 70's. Even HBO might not want to air a modern equivalent to Archie Bunker today. Or, a subtle comedy set in a U.S. military triage in Iraq. Those shows did an amazing job of dealing with serious social issues in the framework of a weekly TV comedy.

And, the writing on the original Twilight Zone still echoes today with some of the most influential sci-fi stories ever.

It hard to judge shows fromt that past against those from the present. I have to go with The Office. Its so comtemporary and funny as HELL!

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']and maybe Sports Night.[/quote]

Aww, thought I was going to be the first to mention it. Wonderful show, and while I'd love to have seen it continue, it finished before Sorkin ran out of ideas for it.

1. Seinfeld
2. Star Trek: The Next Generation
3. The Simpsons
4. I Love Lucy
5. The Adventures of Pete and Pete
6. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
7. The X-Files
8. The Tom Green Show
9. South Park
10. The Dick Van Dyke Show

Battlestar Galactica (new series) for being a science fiction show that (finally) takes the medium seriously.

I'd like to also say The Simpsons, but anything and everything from season 10 (or so) on has utterly ruined it.

picking one is impossible. so some of my top faves.

V The final batttle and V

Naruto ( excluding some fillers)

the degrassi series ( new and old)

rescue me

deadwood

carneival

venture brothers

6 feet under

oz

sopranos

angel

buffy

king of the hill

judging amy

star trek deep space 9

space above and beyond

wings

arrested development

the old kung fu theatre shows

Agreed, one is too constricting.

Cartoon - Futurama
Sitcom - Titus
Drama - Nip/Tuck
Action - Highlander

I'm not counting anime, since i honestly haven't seen much outside of adult swim. The best thing on tv every year is not a show though. It's football.

Runners up - Simpsons, Married With Children, South Park, ER(up to season 9), any $30+ set I get for half price or lower.

Perhaps the most timeless TV show of all time is I Love Lucy. The show will never get old.

I enjoy a lot of the older cartoons as well which used to air on cartoon network. Shows like Jonny Quest and Hong Kong Phooey were great.

Two personal favorites of mine are MacGyver and A-Team (how I wish there was a crossover episode. It could have been amazing).

I am also a semi-huge fan of Star Trek (especially TNG or Voyager)

Get Smart is also a classic. I loved that show when it used to air all the time on Nick at Nite.

I am not quite sure of my favorite though, but perhaps Star Trek: TNG has the edge...

Almost Every episode of every season is awsome. It's shocking how good it is. The only thing the show lacks is humor, but it makes up for it in so many other ways.

bread's done
Back