What game won you over to Xbox?

Archaic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
There was a lot of skepticism towards Xbox initially. Many who had decent PC's saw the system as redundant, especially since GC and PS2 had exclusives (like Mario, Zelda, and --at the time-- Metal Gear and GTA).

About a year ago though, I decided to get one based on Crimson Skies. I loved the PC version, and the Xbox variant looked incredible. After seeing how easy it was to play on LIVE, the Xbox completely won me over. I traded in my cube for it (which I don't regret, as I like neither Metroid Prime nor Zelda: WW) and have loved it ever since.

Were you initially resistant to Xbox, and, if so, what game(s) won you over?

No one gane won me over, it was more the idea of having a new system. But if I had to pick one it would be Halo.

KOTOR was the game that made me need to have an XBox. Halo, Crimson Skies and Ninja Gaiden were the games that made me love it over all other consoles.

I buy all the new systems sooner or later, so there wasn't really any one game on Xbox that earned my sale. Maybe it was the curiousity about how much stronger its newer hardware really was compared to the competition.

Halo convinced me to buy one, just to play with friends. However, nothing has "won me over". If I sit down to play my video games I'm looking at one XBox game that interestes me, 5 or 6 for my PS2, and about 10 for my 'Cube.

Would have been nice if the rumors about Nintendo and MS joining forces for the next generation had turned out to be true. Nintendo could have made the cool games, MS could have handled the online play. Everybody would have won.

I found sports games looked the best on the xbox.
Also I had a gamecube... so it was down to ps2 and xbox. I finally choose xbox because most games I couldn't get on Gamecube where on xbox and ps2.. and they usually where better on xbox.

Also the introduction of the S controller helped alot. I wouldn't have bougth it with that old clunky thing.

Peer pressure. I just couldn't stand listening to all my friends talk about the Xboxes they got over the summer. (I had a GC)

So I just went out and bought it after the first week of school this year, I had to get in on it! (I only lasted a week hearing how great it was, lol) Plus I wanted to get it and Halo to beat before Halo 2 came out.

I play it soooo much more than my GC now, especially on Live.

I got a GC at launch and a PS2 for my birthday, so a couple friends of mine decided to pitch in and get me and X Box for Christmas :D It came with NCAA 2005/Top Spin (neither of which I've played), but I got Halo 2 from another friend. And, since that's the only game I've played for X Box, I'll have to go with Halo 2 :wink:

And I definitely want to check out Ninja Gaiden at some point.

Jet Set Radio Future and the hope of Panzer Dragoon Orta in the future. Halo was a nice signing bonus when I bought the box, though.

Bought it when it was released for the Sega games. Jet Set Radio Future.. nice. And because of Halo.

I waited for the price drop to $200 to get the 'box, then waited for a sale for Halo, which was $35ish.

I paid $300 near launch for PS2, which I also bought to play MGS2, also around $35.

I paid $150 for GC, which included a deal for Mario Sunshine for $25.

I received my original GBA and Advance Wars as gifts.

I paid $140 for my DS, and $25 for Mario 64.

I always try to be the best cheapass I can be while still getting consoles within the first year of their launch. I will fight the urge with the next wave of nextgen consoles. Backward compatability WILL be a factor, as I don't want so many consoles taking up space. That said, I will probably get a "PS3" before I get an "XBOX2", but who knows what the future holds :)

[quote name='TJordan522']Peer pressure. I just couldn't stand listening to all my friends talk about the Xboxes they got over the summer. (I had a GC)

So I just went out and bought it after the first week of school this year, I had to get in on it! (I only lasted a week hearing how great it was, lol)

Plus I wanted to get it to beat Halo before Halo 2 came out, and Xbox has a ton of games that my GC didn't have.

I play it soooo much more than my GC now, especially on Live.[/quote]

[quote name='bfg9k']I always try to be the best cheapass I can be while still getting consoles within the first year of their launch. I will fight the urge with the next wave of nextgen consoles.[/quote]

I keep telling myself that too. I bought a DS at launch for $150, but did manage to get Feel the Magic for $20. However, I rationalized that purchase by saying "OK, it was a giftcard from my birthday, not like it was cash out of my pocket." The PSP, PS3, XB2, and Revolution will all have to wait, though. I hope.

gotta go with Halo. It was the first FPS game I had played that felt like I was in the middle of a war, and not so much "shoot what moves". It also seemed linear in a general sense, but unlinear in most given situations (the epic battle at the end of the second snow level comes to mind)

I started to become particular to XBOX after getting my component cable for it, and most of the games for it had a high res setting.

The two games that got me really hooked was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and House of the Dead 3. I got these two games when I first got my Xbox and played them til completion and I still play HOTD3 with my buddies all the time. I really enjoyed them a lot and recommend them to others.

[quote name='flybrione']The two games that got me really hooked was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and House of the Dead 3. I got these two games when I first got my Xbox and played them til completion and I still play HOTD3 with my buddies all the time. I really enjoyed them a lot and recommend them to others.[/quote]

You know I never see HOTD 3 anywhere even in used shops

Yeah, HALO hooked me. My friend got a box first, and system link was GREAT. So, I bought one after the first price drop.....I had/have a PS2, but I gave that to my brother. Glad I did, the only game I played on it was GTA, and now I can wait for July for GTA:SA since I have enough other games to keep me occupied on my XBOX :)

Also, the HD and the sports games were GREAT. I found with the PS2 I would need 2-3 memory cards for sports games

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='flybrione']The two games that got me really hooked was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and House of the Dead 3. I got these two games when I first got my Xbox and played them til completion and I still play HOTD3 with my buddies all the time. I really enjoyed them a lot and recommend them to others.[/quote]

You know I never see HOTD 3 anywhere even in used shops[/quote]

It is very hard to find. I originally bought mine when I got my Xbox for xmas the year they came out with the Jet Set/Sega GT pack. My girlfriend told me she bought it in November and then I proceded to buy myself games, she could never keep a secret.

I got it new on EBgames for $50 because I was a big fan of the series. I also picked up Buffy($24) and Crazy Taxi 3($30). Then I got Halo($30) a week later. All before I was a member of CAG, if I only new then what I know now. :D

Crimson Skies and LIVE. I got one only after I got cable internet. But, it was the idea of multiplayer Crimson Skies that made me bug my wife for months before she got me a setup for our anniversary.

[quote name='flybrione'][quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='flybrione']The two games that got me really hooked was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and House of the Dead 3. I got these two games when I first got my Xbox and played them til completion and I still play HOTD3 with my buddies all the time. I really enjoyed them a lot and recommend them to others.[/quote]

It is very hard to find. I originally bought mine when I got my Xbox for xmas the year they came out with the Jet Set/Sega GT pack. My girlfriend told me she bought it in November and then I proceded to buy myself games, she could never keep a secret.

I got it new on EBgames for $50 because I was a big fan of the series. I also picked up Buffy($24) and Crazy Taxi 3($30). Then I got Halo($30) a week later. All before I was a member of CAG, if I only new then what I know now. :D[/quote]

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/214864.asp

Panzer Dragoon Orta. I'm a big fan of the series.

At the time I wasn't impressed with Halo, but I did eventually end up getting that too.

[quote name='hutno'][quote name='flybrione'][quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='flybrione']The two games that got me really hooked was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and House of the Dead 3. I got these two games when I first got my Xbox and played them til completion and I still play HOTD3 with my buddies all the time. I really enjoyed them a lot and recommend them to others.[/quote]

I got it new on EBgames for $50 because I was a big fan of the series. I also picked up Buffy($24) and Crazy Taxi 3($30). Then I got Halo($30) a week later. All before I was a member of CAG, if I only new then what I know now. :D[/quote]

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/214864.asp[/quote]

Only $20 Jlarlee I would suggest picking it up great game if you do not have it. SEGA! :D

Ghost Recon was the game that got me doing research, but the ability to make modifications to hard drive capacity, back up my games, and run an operating system is what sold me.

Christmas. A friend of mine bought it for me for Xmas since I already had a PS2 and GC. At the time I didn't really want it, but he kinda said I was getting it anyway. I bought him a PS2 in return and now we both have quite a few games we didn't think we'd initially own before this generation became obsolete.

Although over a year later, I don't think I'd be able to live without Halo/Halo 2 or Rallisport Challenge 2. We all know some form of Halo will probably be a killer app at launch, but I really hope that RSC will be part of the lineup as well.

For me it was a company: Team Ninja. With DOA 3 and X already out, and Ninja Gaiden right around the corner, I simply couldn't resist.

bread's done
Back