What is an acceptable LCD response rate for using a 360?

uricmu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My six year old Toshiba rear projection TV finally died, and I was getting a replacement. For a variety of reasons that I don't want to get into here (or start the age old debate), I am going with LCD over Plasma.

Now, the situation is this: I have a relatively limited budget for this (since I am partially migrating to PC gaming and spent major bucks on a rig). I ended up ordering (though I can still cancel) a Toshiba Regza. The picture quality was better than the alternatives at the same price, but the response rate is 8ms (the Sharp had 4ms, and the LG had 2ms but was above my range). The Regza may have a gaming mode, but I'm not sure about that.

Most of what I play on my 360 is Halo and its variants. How much trouble would I have with an 8ms TV?

The reason I'm asking is that the 360 probably doesn't crank out the same FPS that my PC can generate at comparable resolutions. In fact, when I tried Halo on my 4ms monitor at 1080p mode, it felt incredibly slow. How many FPS can one crank out of a 360 anyway?

Advice would be appreciated.

You'll be fine with a Toshiba Regza. The reality is that 8ms response is a manufacturer rated number and is not the reality. 8ms Sony vs 8ms Samsung could be totally different, who knows which one is actually faster.

Yeah, 8ms has been the standard and is fine (if it really is for the most part). My Sony and Samsung are 8ms and are beyond fine. As mentioned that spec if half made up anyway (like contrast ratios). It's even worse now, because they have the supposed refresh rate when "120hz" mode is on on some of these TVs. In reality, those things aren't even connectd. The "120hz" mode just makes up frames to go in between real frames recieved from a connected device, and has nothing to do with response time (I turned it off on my new TV, as it looks hideous).

Game mode shuts off most gimicky image processing, which on some TVs reduces input lag. I can't tell a difference on mine, but leave game mode on because none of the processing it turns off seems to do anything useful anyway. (120hz mode is on of the things it shuts off, but I had that shut off separately anyway, as it's nasty).

I'd shoot for 4ms if I were you OP; TVs from the past year or so all usually have that, so I'm guessing you're looking at an older TV

[quote name='Wolfpup'] It's even worse now, because they have the supposed refresh rate when "120hz" mode is on on some of these TVs.[/QUOTE]

Why is everyone so confused about this? 120hz is not a "mode" you set. You seem to be confusing the processing features that TV manufacturers include on their sets with the refresh rates themselves. Turning off Automotion Plus (Samsung TVs) or whatever it's called on your set does not mean turning off 120hz; I agree the features are shit and give everything an odd look to them, but having a 120hz refresh rate is never a bad thing.

It's very important if you're someone who does a lot of Blu-Ray viewing; look into it.

LCDs don't even HAVE refresh rates. That "120hz" (or 240) is a processing effect. It has NOTHING to do with the screen's response time, it just makes up frames to stick in between real frames it's getting from the source. It's just a horribly mis-named marketing gimmick.

5ms or less. You'll definitely see ghosting with the 8ms. As others have said, if you can get something 4 or less (2.x would be ideal) definitely go for it.

No you won't see ghosting with 8ms. As others have already said, it's basically a make believe spec at this point. Just get a quality, name brand set, nothing off brand and you're set.

[quote name='Wolfpup']LCDs don't even HAVE refresh rates. That "120hz" (or 240) is a processing effect.[/QUOTE]
Sure they do. The processing effect you're referring to is properly called frame interpolation, which requires a 120Hz refresh to pull off its "magic," but is otherwise unrelated.

I don't like frame interpolation either, but 120Hz is good because it removes the need for 3:2 pulldown with film content (meaning judder-free movies).

I also have a Regza and there is no ghosting.

The refresh rate on the panels is actually 8 ms or less.

Toshiba gets the LCD panels from different manufacturers and many of the panels are at a 5 or 6 ms refresh rate.

bread's done
Back