What on EARTH is wrong with Gamestop's online store?!?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
I have no HUGE thing against Gamestop, and I trade in stuff their regularly (main thing that ticks me off is how they open "new" games and try to sell them as new)...

...But their website, something is seriously messed up with it's payment system. I doubt I'm the only one that's had problems...

EBgames.com used to work fine. I've NEVER had an issue using my credit card anywhere...but when I tried to place an order a year back, they wouldn't accept my credit card.

Then they do the site upgrade, and you can use store credit online, which is cool. Figured I could order NEW new games that way and avoid the opened games in-store.

Well I placed an order a week ago on Monday. Checked it last Friday because I wondered what my tracking number was, and saw that the order was "Verifying". Huh? I also noticed I'd forgotten to use the "Saver" code, so I wrote and asked that they apply it or cancel the order.

I got a response back about a day latter, that said I was being credited the $2.99. That's good, except the order still showed it, and it still said "Verifying".

Then today I check my email, and it says my credit card company declined the order and I need to contact them, blah blah blah...huh?

Even if I WAS using a credit card, I don't have a problem with it anywhere else-including in-store!

BUT I'M NOT USING A CREDIT CARD! I'm using their own in-store Edge card for the order!!

Even if it did work, it doesn't give you a balance read-out, so it's kind of creepy, because I have no way of knowing (short of going in-store and then adding stuff up) if they even deducted the right amount.

As it turns out, I found the game for basically $5 cheaper thanks to CAG, so I'd rather just cancel it anyway. They say if I don't respond in 48 hours they'll cancel the order, and I'm thinking I just won't respond, as they'll probably screw something else up if I write back to them. Heck, I'm about 80% expecting that their system won't correctly cancel the order either.

Anyone else had issues like this dealing with them? If EB was still around...

Forgot to mention that it's never let me CANCEL an order either...until today when I tried it again. At least it SAYS it did, even though the order still shows up. Geez...

i'm done with GS... no more used craps and i'm not renewing my Edge card. The only time i buy from them will be exclusives, like MGS4 LE.

Their site is screwed up in general. It hardly ever works when I try to search for a game. I actually would prefer the old layout since....you know, the site actually worked.

One thing on the site I don't understand is how it won't show up on my Wii. You would think the largest video game store would want to show up on the webbrowser of the best selling system this generation. But, maybe not.

Gamestop is not run very well. The only reason I think it lasts is that they are the only game in town. But, give it 5-10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if they talk about the great Gamestop collapse in future years. Eventually, someone is going to open another video game store to compete. One that is decently well run (can't do much about the employees, run a huge national chain, and you'll have to deal with some idiots), but just prices in general.

I had a problem recently where the site would put spaces in my credit card number even though there wasn't enough room for spaces. I tried to change my credit card information several times, not including any spaces when I put the numbers in again, but it would always include spaces so they didn't have the last 3 numbers.

Eventually I just gave up and ordered the game somewhere else.

I kept trying to get Disgaea from the site yesterday. It says it's in stock, it shows up in my cart, and then when I hit checkout, it says my quantity (1) is too much. I go back to the website and it and the product page, and it still says it is in stock. The site is wicked flaky.

I ordered Crosswords DS with free two day shipping. It is listed as shipped in my order history.
I am waiting for them to put up a tracking number. Other than waiting for a tracking number; I did not have any problems.

I just sent an email to Gamestop.com. It'll be ingored, but anyway, here's waht I put. I even complained in store once about the web site and they're just acting like it's my credit card. Sure, the same card that's worked EVERYWHERE for YEARS, including in-store at Gamestop, and even for a UK purchase I made years ago:

Last year I tried making a purchase from the Gamestop.com store, and got my credit card declined-a card that works everywhere else just fine (including at retail Gamestop stores). Since Gamestop.com now lets you use store credit online, I tried purchasing a game using it. It sat there for a full week saying "verifying", and then finally yesterday it sent me a message saying my credit card was declined...except I wasn't even USING a credit card this time, but rather store credit.

I've asked around a bit, and have found a number of people having the same sorts of issues with the site. There's definitely something going on, and it definitely does NOT have anything to do with my credit card.

Less importantly, but as long as I'm writing...I appreciate that we can use store credit on Gamestop.com now (if it actually worked), but we need a method to check our balance, and to see how much is left when we buy a game (like what you get in-store).

Also, over the last few years I've often avoided buying games at Gamestop in person because if there's only one copy of a game left (as there usually is), it's usually been opened with the empty case just sitting on the shelf. Some people don't care, but a LOT of us do not want to buy a copy (at least for full price) that's essentially a demo unit. No other stores try to pass off inventory like that as "new", and a LOT of us avoid Gamestop because of that-a large percentage of people who shop at Gamestop I've talked to have the same complaint.

I doubt anyone will actually pay attention to any of this, but there really is something wrong with the online store's order processing system, and 99% of people aren't going to bother writing in to complain, they're just going to order from somewhere else...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Less importantly, but as long as I'm writing...I appreciate that we can use store credit on Gamestop.com now (if it actually worked), but we need a method to check our balance, and to see how much is left when we buy a game (like what you get in-store).[/quote]

Uh, they have a method of checking your store credit balance. It's on the left side menu, right underneath all the platform listings. Maybe you meant something else?

[quote name='Wolfpup'] Also, over the last few years I've often avoided buying games at Gamestop in person because if there's only one copy of a game left (as there usually is), it's usually been opened with the empty case just sitting on the shelf. Some people don't care, but a LOT of us do not want to buy a copy (at least for full price) that's essentially a demo unit. No other stores try to pass off inventory like that as "new", and a LOT of us avoid Gamestop because of that-a large percentage of people who shop at Gamestop I've talked to have the same complaint. [/quote]

Gamestop is not the only one that does this. Gamecrazy does the exact same thing, and I imagine several other Video Game only retail chains do it. It doesn't mean I like it any more, but Gamestop is certainly not alone in that practice.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Then today I check my email, and it says my credit card company declined the order and I need to contact them, blah blah blah...huh?

Even if I WAS using a credit card, I don't have a problem with it anywhere else-including in-store!

BUT I'M NOT USING A CREDIT CARD! I'm using their own in-store Edge card for the order!!

[/QUOTE]

Hi Wolfpup,

Sorry to hear you are having problems placing an order on our site. We are using a template for the payment authorization issue notification and it appears this has not yet been customized for stored value transactions, like Gift Cards and Edge Cards.

If you still want to place your order please send me a private message with your order number and we will investigate and ensure your order is processed as soon as possible.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Retro

[quote name='Ryukahn']Gamestop is not the only one that does this. Gamecrazy does the exact same thing, and I imagine several other Video Game only retail chains do it. It doesn't mean I like it any more, but Gamestop is certainly not alone in that practice.[/QUOTE]

Opened new games? I've only been to one GameCrazy, as there's only one in the area, but all their new games are still sealed. They've got opened used games obviously, but I've never seen an opened "new" game at GameCrazy.

Ive seen plenty of open new games at the gamecrazy's here, and probably even more open new games than gamestop has. All of the open ones I am talking about were behind the counter too on a high display rack, so I see no reason to have them opened at all. This was a few years ago so I don't know if their policy has changed.

Gamestop's site is running REALLY slow for me, I use the site a lot to find inventory at local stores, where I go and buy the merchandise there if I decide I want it. Given the crowded and cramped nature of the store this really helps me and I can go in, get what I want and be out in a few min. But if the site isn't running or its running at a snails pace too slow for me to use it reasonably, it makes it harder for me to shop. Call me spoiled if you wish, but I love the store locater.

[quote name='rainking187']Opened new games? I've only been to one GameCrazy, as there's only one in the area, but all their new games are still sealed. They've got opened used games obviously, but I've never seen an opened "new" game at GameCrazy.[/quote]

Gamecrazy policy is to let anyone try it before you buy it, at least the ones around here, so you can have any new game opened and played. You may not see it in your area because they may be better about shrink wrapping them after they demo them. I think the policy is dumb, but I'm sure there are lots of parents that love it since they can make their kids try it before they pay for it to make sure they will like it.

Is Retroactive really a Gamestop person? If so, that's cool.

I'm glad to see they've got a way to check your Edge card balance now. Hopefully they are or will be getting credit cards and Edge cards working. I may try doing another order soonish and see if it goes through this time...

yeah, so my order isn't showing in the order history. I fear i may get trolled hard. Screw Gamestop, but........a good deals, a good deal.

[quote name='Nekopanchi2012']yeah, so my order isn't showing in the order history. I fear i may get trolled hard. Screw Gamestop, but........a good deals, a good deal.[/QUOTE]

This thread is 4 years old. Why the hell did you post here!?!?!?!?

Wow, so weird, *I* started this :lol: For what it's worth, i've had no problems with Gamestop in recent years. I order, stuff comes.

You're totally right about the online store.
Gamestop's online store has serious issues. I tried to pay for something, but it didn't go through and told me to try again with my credit card. Well, after trying a few times I looked at my credit card balance and Gamestop was charging me a couple thousand dollars

You're totally right about the online store.
Gamestop's online store has serious issues. I tried to pay for something, but it didn't go through and told me to try again with my credit card. Well, after trying a few times I looked at my credit card balance and Gamestop was charging me a couple thousand dollars
This thread is 15 years old and the last post was almost exactly 11 years ago.

bread's done
Back