What was the best version of Final Fantasy?

BLEH.

8 was blasphemy, as well as 10-2.

I am through with Final Fantasy, until they return to the traditional. I'm sick of metrosexuals, who play sports, and listen to rock music, in futuresque worlds.

If they are going to make games like that, at least call them something different.
Look how they ruined Tactics on the GBA,.... what a doop.
Square has so much money, and such a loyal following, that they can make a game about a homosexual peanut butter and jelly sandwich, from 20,000 leagues beneath the sea, who saves Prince Cattle Prod,... with an all reggae/John Denver soundtrack, and slap a $90 price tag on it,... and it'll sell millions.

Fag,.... I mean, fanboys are so sad.

FF2 was the best one, to me.

I think I almost shed a tear when Palom and Porom turned to stone to save everyone.

But FF3 is extremely close behind it.

Seeing the actors turn to stone in FF9 was much more emotional for me. FMV was the BEST in FF9.

I swear, I have never felt so emotional watching game characters.

Vivi's story was so sad, and then empowering. Then, when Alexander defended against Bahamut..... OMFG!!!!

Every movie was a deeply touching event for me.
Better than Aeris's death ten fold.

[quote name='drone8888']BLEH.

8 was blasphemy, as well as 10-2.

I am through with Final Fantasy, until they return to the traditional. I'm sick of metrosexuals, who play sports, and listen to rock music, in futuresque worlds.

If they are going to make games like that, at least call them something different.
Look how they ruined Tactics on the GBA,.... what a doop.
Square has so much money, and such a loyal following, that they can make a game about a homosexual peanut butter and jelly sandwich, from 20,000 leagues beneath the sea, who saves Prince Cattle Prod,... with an all reggae/John Denver soundtrack, and slap a $90 price tag on it,... and it'll sell millions.

Fag,.... I mean, fanboys are so sad.[/QUOTE]

I thought tactics on the advance was actually quite good, but that may be the fact that I turned my lead character into a bad ass talking.

My biggest problem with VII (and on, I suppose) is that if I remember correctly, VII is the first "futuristic" Final Fantasy. They took a game involving strategic fighting with multiple weapons (spears, swords, ninja's throwing things, magic, etc.) and tried to mix it with a world where guns are a reality. That's the problem for me - it lost the "fantasy" part for me because it just didn't work in my mind.

I realize that hoping for the game to be "realistic" with respect to guns when you have people being bombarded by Bahamat calls from the sky is a bit of a double-standard, but having these people in a present/futuristic world was too much of a blurring of the lines for me. It would be like trying to put Frodo and Gandolf and company in today's world to destroy the "One Ring". You'd be like, "Dude, just hop on a plane over to Mordor, then get in a cab and have them drive you up to the foot of the mountain." If you're going to have the mystique of wizards and magic and "calls" you have to have the right setting to go with it, IMO. And if you're going to have guns, one shot needs to kill or severely incapacitate whoever is getting shot. The present or the future is not the right setting for thiis to happen.

Not trying to rant about VII, that's just why I coudn't ever quite get into it.

[quote name='chosen1s']My biggest problem with VII (and on, I suppose) is that if I remember correctly, VII is the first "futuristic" Final Fantasy. They took a game involving strategic fighting with multiple weapons (spears, swords, ninja's throwing things, magic, etc.) and tried to mix it with a world where guns are a reality. That's the problem for me - it lost the "fantasy" part for me because it just didn't work in my mind.

I realize that hoping for the game to be "realistic" with respect to guns when you have people being bombarded by Bahamat calls from the sky is a bit of a double-standard, but having these people in a present/futuristic world was too much of a blurring of the lines for me. It would be like trying to put Frodo and Gandolf and company in today's world to destroy the "One Ring". You'd be like, "Dude, just hop on a plane over to Mordor, then get in a cab and have them drive you up to the foot of the mountain." If you're going to have the mystique of wizards and magic and "calls" you have to have the right setting to go with it, IMO. And if you're going to have guns, one shot needs to kill or severely incapacitate whoever is getting shot. The present or the future is not the right setting for thiis to happen.

Not trying to rant about VII, that's just why I coudn't ever quite get into it.[/QUOTE]

I agree but I didn't mind VII because it was new. It started to grate on me by VIII. I think the reason I liked IX a bit was the fact that it went retro a bit.

VI was best overall.

V, and FF Tactics has the best battle system.

IV comes second to VI, overall.

Oh, and IMO, VIII is easily the worst of the series.

IX is my pick, it has the charm, feel and well-crafted gameplay of the 2d titles with the technology and allure of the 3d. Somehow it remains pretty underrated within the series.

X-2 has the worst story out of the entire series, but pretty good gameplay. I can't stand the dialogue and story though, so I refuse to play it.

Definitely going with 3/6. It wasn't the first that I played (FF1), but I can say that it didn't bore me at any point, even when I was levelling up in the Dino Forest. The game was a great immersive experience, and is the only FF I've actually replayed for things I may have missed or to try the World of Ruin in a different order.

I'm gonna say 8. I'm sure if there weren't so many picky fanboys that didn't judge it simply based on the fact that it didn't feel like the previous games, it would get alot more votes. It was its own game, it's not like there were any sequels in the first place.

EDIT: And you know, now that I think about it, this was the first RPG that I played. I guess that would help sway my opinion.

8 was average. Even reviewers said it. 7-current have no depth in comparison to 2/4 and 3/6. 7 tech demo was neat. But if they wanted to remake 2 or 3 that would be sweet. There are so many things in both games that would make it worth it. And it's 16-bit graphics genius. And I think you're reffering to the first ff when it comes to weak story. 8 was good, but it should not have been a final fantasty it's part of a series dude. Saying it shouldn't have to feel like previous games is not the brightest comment.

I dunno, everyone worships Square like a god, but half of its worshippers barely approve of the Final Fantasy's past 7. I personally trust their judgement, and try not to be too critical. Simply removing the Final Fantasy title from 8 to make it a better game isn't exactly bright either.

[quote name='j.elles']if they wanted to remake 2 or 3 that would be sweet. And it's 16-bit graphics genius. [/QUOTE]Oh I see. You meant 4 and 6. (shrug) It's not my fault you can't use the proper *original release* numbering scheme, as shown in message #1:
1 - original nintendo
2 - original nintendo (not released until 2003 as FF origins)
3 - original nintendo (japan only)

4 - super nintendo (aka 2-u.s.)
5 - super nintendo (released as FF anthology)
6 - super nintendo (aka 3-u.s.)

When Nintendo mis-labeled FF4 = 2, and FF6 = 3, they really screwed up. (Just like when they replaced the red blood with with white sweat in Mortal Kombat... dumb dumb dumb.) There's no reason for us to carry on Nintendo's incorrect numbering.

I still think the first 3 8-bit games sucked. Final Fantasy with almost no story is quite boring.

troy

They keep getting gayer and gayer.

Why not have a $$$$$$ fantasy???

Nothing wrong with gay people,... but I personally don't feel like being confused about characters' genders all the time. Or being made to feel like it's alright to be gay.
This is Square's main goal now, I beleive.
As MTV pushed as hard as it could to bring interracial, casual encounters to the youth,... Square's pushing the most famous game franchise in the world on us, promoting homosexual acceptance.

I cannot stand crusaders.

I personally don't care who does who.
Black, white, yellow, green, or the rainbow coalition. Sausage duels a-plenty! Who cares???
No one.

BUT,... when the point is finally made, the promotion should end. Kids don't care about this kind of stuff,... or at least they didn't. Now, because of the media, in all shapes and forms, sexuality has become normal for them. They are little gangstas, and pimps. They talk about their hot new rap CDs, and then they go out and act like an adult.

Walking around rapping, and being playas. WTF??
When I was 15, just sneaking beer was pujnishable by the belt. Now, 15 year olds are getting pregnant, doing drugs, committing suicide, shooting each other, and experimenting with much, much more than I even knew about at those ages.

Call me sheltered,.... but I came from the ghetto, and even the hardest brothas in town drew a line. Yeah, we listened to NWA, and Cube, then later Snoop and Method. ,, but we knew what was real, and what wasn't.

Pot,... some kids smoked. Beer,... 40s all around. Coke,.... NEVER! Sex,.... the first kid in my grade who got some was 17,.... that was in 11th grade. Gays,..... none that were open, if any.

Not to say that stuff didn't happen,... but I was cool with almost everyone, and word spreads quick in the ghetto. After rap, we had all kinds of incidents... knifings, shootings, murders, overdoses, drunk driving accidents, parental abuse,..etc.

I forsee Final Fantasy turning all little boys into fairies. Here in Japan, the bisexual/gay men are rampant. It's disturbing, like the current lead characters in the series.
All dolled up, and overly queer.
If you've ever seen a Japanese boy with fake eyelashes, batting them at you, you'd know what I mean.

And Musashi fans,... don't even get me started on Scribe Shanky..... uuuuuhhhhh.

I would like to see Square rerelease some of the older titles, keeping the upgrades to graphics, sound, and FMV.
Not like those HORRID FMVs from the Anthology either.

7.1 fully orchestrated surround sound, 1080i/p reworked palette, and high end cinematics added... that's it.
Maybe some side quests, and extra items, and bonuses,... only as rewards for playing all the way through to add depth and extra replayability.

Revived Aeris and General Leo would be nice. A side story for Vincent and Umaro. Just extra stuff that we'd like, BESIDES the game, and not crammed in, with the option to cram it in.

Ahhhh,... it's so late,... and I've gone places I guess I shouldn't have.
:I

[quote name='electrictroy']Oh I see. You meant 4 and 6. (shrug) It's not my fault you can't use the proper *original release* numbering scheme, as shown in message #1:
1 - original nintendo

When Nintendo mis-labeled FF4 = 2, and FF6 = 3, they really screwed up. (Just like when they replaced the red blood with with white sweat in Mortal Kombat... dumb dumb dumb.) There's no reason for us to carry on Nintendo's incorrect numbering.

I still think the first 3 8-bit games sucked. Final Fantasy with almost no story is quite boring.

troy[/QUOTE]

they changed the number because 4 was the second title released in the US and 6 was the third... at the time it made more sense.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']FF2 was the best one, to me.

I think I almost shed a tear when Palom and Porom turned to stone to save everyone.

But FF3 is extremely close behind it.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. Palom and Porom's moment is a great memory and so was Kain betraying you and stole the crystal. I was very surprised and sad at the same time, I was like how could he do that to me, I thought we were friends. Great memories indeed.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']they changed the number because 4 was the second title released in the US and 6 was the third... at the time it made more sense.[/QUOTE]And then they skipped from 3 to 7. So whether they chose (a) 1/4/6 or (b) 1/2/3/7, they are still skipping numbers.

(IMHO it would have made more sense to keep the original numbers and simply say, "We decided not to release 2/3/5 for America." Now because Nintendo mis-labeled the games, many people are thoroughly confused.)

BTW, to the person who complained about Square's gay characters (which there are none): Don't buy the game if it bothers you so much. Vote with your dollars, and Square will stop making gays in their games.

Personally I'd like to see some more lesbians. Perhaps Rikku & Paine could disappear, alone, into a room for a couple hours.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']
troy[/QUOTE]

Did you play it when it first came out, or later? At the time, FF1 was fairly revolutionary. The story was quite good (compared to Dragon Warrior 1 or Ultima 2 for example), and there were lots of innovations in the gameplay. I just played through it again a few years ago, and I still enjoyed it, actually (though nostalgia might have been partially responsible).

[quote name='electrictroy']

Personally I'd like to see some more lesbians. Perhaps Rikku & Paine could disappear, alone, into a room for a couple hours.

troy[/QUOTE]

oh im sure you play enough doa beach volleyball to not be that concerned

VI, probably one of the greatest games ever. Locke himself had more character development, then the whole cast from 7. So yeah 7 was the reason I stopped playing RPGs, and I think I just grew out of the genre.

[quote name='Backlash']Did you play it when it first came out, or later? At the time, FF1 was fairly revolutionary.[/QUOTE] No. At that time, I had already upgraded to a 16-bit computer, and was busy playing simulations like Elite or Red Storm Rising. The idea of playing 8-bit FF1 would not have impressed me.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of RPGs. I just like a good story.

To the guy who asked about me & DOA XXX Volleyball..... sorry, already sold my Xbox. Bored.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Oh I see. You meant 4 and 6. (shrug) It's not my fault you can't use the proper *original release* numbering scheme, as shown in message #1:
1 - original nintendo

troy[/QUOTE]

I was meaning the Jap FF 4 and 5, too.

I could care less what the name of the games are in Japan. When I go and play my version of Final Fantasy, it reads FF2 and FF3, so God damnit, that's what I'm gonna call it.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I was meaning the Jap FF 4 and 5, too.

I could care less what the name of the games are in Japan. When I go and play my version of Final Fantasy, it reads FF2 and FF3, so God damnit, that's what I'm gonna call it.[/QUOTE]

SSSNAP!

Dang man, I haven't played 1-6 yet. I heard FF3 is te best. I played 7-10 and love every min of it. I was hoping a emulator on a psp will come out soon so I can start playing 1-6.

[quote name='postaboy']Dang man, I haven't played 1-6 yet. I heard FF3 is te best. I played 7-10 and love every min of it. I was hoping a emulator on a psp will come out soon so I can start playing 1-6.[/QUOTE]

If you heard FF3 is the best, it was probably US FF3, so actually FF6. Just FYI so you don't import the wrong game or anything :)

[quote name='postaboy']I was hoping a emulator on a psp will come out soon so I can start playing 1-6.[/QUOTE]Or, you could try playing them *legally* on your PS2:
FF Origins (1/2)
FF Chronicles (4 - also Chrono Trigger)

As I posted on amazon.com: "I've noticed a couple people complain about the load times (especially during battles). There's a quick and easy fix for PS2 owners: In the main menu under the PS1 Driver, there's a setup option for "Fast Loading". When you turn that on, the game will load as fast as the original cartridge did. Problem solved."

With fast-loading, you won't experience any slowdown, except when calling summons. It truly amazes me how many people have no clue there's a "fast load" option for PS1 games. It makes these games run much, much faster.

troy

[quote name='postaboy']I was hoping an emulator on a psp will come out soon so I can start playing 1-6.[/QUOTE]Or, you could try playing them *legally* on your PS2:
FF Origins (1/2)

yes it is amazing for us who do not own a ps2 to know about the fast loading.

it was a ps1 port, and as a ps1 game on a ps1 it was shitty.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']yes it is amazing for us who do not own a ps2[/QUOTE]I feel sorry for you. It must suck to still be playing FF anthology on a ps1.

troy

Which is best really depends on what aspect you're cosidering.

Story: FF IV
Graphics: FF X-2
Sound / Score: FF VI
Coolest Summons: FF VIII
Battle System: FF T & FF X

Story: FF6 ----- Graphics: The newest FF that was just Released(FF22?) ----- Sound / Score: FF7 ----- Coolest Summons: FF6 ----- Battle System: FF6 (real-time & balanced between physical & magical attacks) ----- Characters (both best & most): FF6 ----- BadGuy: FF6 (I love his manaical laugh... besides, he actually succeeded - he burned down civilization!)

[quote name='jlarlee']So ther eis no way to play 3? Is it just a bad game or something?[/QUOTE]Well, I'm biased. I think the first 3 on the original 8-bit Nintendo are all bad (not enough story to hold my attention). Still, FF3 is the best of the 8-bit games. It takes the best features of FF1 and FF2, and combines them.

Short Story - You can play FF3 via an illegal download, that was translated from Japanese. The story is rather bland... about as bland as the "Mario beats Bowser" story.

Long Story - FF1 and 2 were upgraded to run on the 16-bit Wonderswan portable, circa 2001. It was easy for Square to write an emulator and run those upgraded games on the PS1 & GBA. (Also, Square lost a lot of money on the Wonderswan games, and they wanted to recover some of it, via targeting PS1's & GBA's ~120 million userbase.)

FF3 was not upgraded, and Square must have thought 8-bits were too primitive for modern audiences. So, it's not available.

troy

6 and 7 were my personal favs.... 10 was like WHOA NICE GRAPHICS...and then it was like wtf....i beat 10 but it like didnt grab me like 6 and 7 did.

Story: VII
Graphics: X-2 (That's a given)
Sound / Score: VII
Coolest Summons: VIII
Battle System: Can't Decide
My Favorite: VIII

[quote name='j.elles']7 was the most commercially succesfull. Play 3/6 on revolution when it comes out. All of squares games from snes days were the best. Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2 and 3. The charecter development in any of the games that have come out afterward has yet to match there earlier works. Of which 3 is the best by majority those who played them. Even in Japan 3 or 6 is voted the best. This vote has been held before and it's usually the same. 7 wins because more people played it buy most if not all people who remember 3 know it's the best. With 2 being dam close.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget SM RPG.. with the faux power rangers.. heh..

i liked FF 3 on the SNES.. but my favorite was FF7.. i loved the entire concept of that game. the one i disliked the most FF8.. i fucking hated squall

As I posted on amazon.com: "I've noticed a couple people complain about the load times (especially during battles). There's a quick and easy fix for PS2 owners: In the main menu under the PS1 Driver, there's a setup option for "Fast Loading". When you turn that on, the game will load as fast as the original cartridge did. Problem solved."

With fast-loading, you won't experience any slowdown, except when calling summons. It truly amazes me how many people have no clue there's a "fast load" option for PS1 games. It makes these games run much, much faster.

Turning on the PS2 fast disc read thingie does help the load times, but they are still painful (same with Chrono Trigger)....they are still no where NEAR a cartridge...and the lag is still very much present in the emulation (esp. Sabin's powers)

My list:
FF6
FF4 (very close, I almost like FF4 better because it doesn't have the everyone can do everything problem like most of the FFs past #5)
Dragon Warrior IV (oops, wrong franchise) :D
FF7
FF9 (none of that everyone can do everything syndrome, back to roots!)
FF10 (great story and some good characters, but LAME difficulty)
FF5
FF1
FF8 (never played more than 10-15 hours of this, ick)

Played only a little of FF2/3.
FF online...err...I mean FFXI not included, it isn't really an RPG in the traditional sense.
Didn't play X-2...didn't like the sound of the GTA-influence (completely independent non linear quests) and the dress-up/Jpop factor

[quote name='GreenMonkey']Didn't play X-2...didn't like the sound of the GTA-influence (completely independent non linear quests) and the dress-up/Jpop factor[/QUOTE]

If you can get past the fact that they're changing clothes, X-2 actually has a very satisfying and well-implemented version of the job system, in my opinion*.

[size=-2]*Your opinion may vary from mine at no additional charge. Also, I'm a big, big fan of the job system, in any incarnation.[/size]

FF10 and FF10-2 are roughly equal:
- FF10 has a better story, but weaker fighting system (fixed jobs).
- FF10-2 has a weak story, but a better fighting system (active-time battles, like FF6/7/8/9, and a FF5-style job system).

FF10 was better for story, but FF10-2 had better gameplay. FF10-2 made random battles fun again! My favorite part is the 100-floor dungeon. A real challenge!

BTW, Grand Theft Auto did NOT invent non-linear quests. That style of playing dates back to 1987's Pirates, and possibly earlier. So it's wrong to say FF10-2 copied GTA. FF10-2 was copying earlier games from the 80's.

troy

bread's done
Back