What was the best version of Final Fantasy?

Although I played all the FF Games early on, only the FF2 on the SNES got me-- I think it had a much better story, and much better world development than 3. You go to the Moon for christ's sake.

In the next gen, I liked FF7 because you could make rediculous combos with Materia at the end of the game. my Barret could cast Fire 3 31 times a round.

[quote name='electrictroy']FF10-2 was copying earlier games from the 80's.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it wasn't copying anything? That's such a simplistic idea, it couldn't exactly be original forever at any rate.

I don't know. Don't own a "slim" PS2.

But on the original, you turn on the system without a disc. It goes to the floating blue box screen. Select "system settings" followed by "PS1 Driver Options".

You'll see options to turn on fast-loading & graphics smoothing. Graphics smoothing doesn't work with FF Anthology, but the fast-loading works just fine.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Graphics smoothing doesn't work with FF Anthology, but the fast-loading works just fine.[/QUOTE]

Kind of off-topic but I used the smoothing to play through Xenogears and I thought that it made it look tons better. I didn't realize that that feature doesn't work on all the sprite games.

Ok, after the first post reading, you missed Mystic Quest and Crystal Chronicles, not to mention X-2 and XI which are both FF games, though if you want to exclude multiplayer then just X-2.
So I would say FFVI or III for the SNES. This is prob the 10th poll over time I've responded to about FF. Maybe it should just be stickied somewhere.

OK, um...let's see...favorites:

Final Fantasy Tactics
God, do I love this game. I'm an enormous fan of different jobs and classes, though. This is arguably by favorite Final Fantasy ever.

Final Fantasy VII
I marvel at this game. To this day, I think this is the greatest masterpiece I've ever played. There's just something about it. It had just a plethora of hype, and yet, the game seemed to live up to it. It was constantly entertaining to me. If you got bored, there were dozens upon dozens of side-quests to do. Things never got stale. They always threw unique things in there. Calling the dolpin with that whistle...the huge snake you had to avoid, and having to catch a chocobo....the motorcycle chase...the love-shack hotel segment.

I can't describe how much this game meant to me, in terms of me growing as a gamer. I just fiended on it when it came out. It was the game you had to have. When I played it, I was completely enthralled and go not let go. There's just not enough I can say about this game.

In my opinion, this game was so great simply because things were kept so fresh. I'll give this the nod as my favorite RPG ever.

Final Fantasy 6 (US)
Alright, this game rocked! Very entertaining. Really loved all of the diverse characters you could recruit. Kick. Ass. Game.

Final Fantasy 5 (US)
Basically a fanboy for these job-based games. I absolutely loved how you could use them in an ATB system!

FF1: Haven't really played. Is decent..and respect it for being the mother of this huge series.
FF2: Haven't played.
FF3: Never played.
FF4: Didn't ever really get into it.
FF8: Nah. Didn't like the more serious approach it took over FFVII.
FF9: Was entertaining, but didn't really captivate me as my favorites did.
FF10: Hated it. Seemed watered-down and directed towards a more mainstream audience.
FF10-2: After my pure hatred for FFX, I didn't even bother to play this one. I plan on keeping it that way.

[quote name='red flare graf']
Graphics smoothing doesn't work with FF Anthology, but the fast-loading works just fine.
I used the smoothing to play through Xenogears. I didn't realize that that feature doesn't work on all the sprite games.[/QUOTE]Each game is different. With FF7, you can use graphics smoothing, but the fast loader will make the game crash after about ~1 hour of use. So now I only use fast-loading if a game is slow (like the Super Nintendo ports).
troy

What's the best? I don't really know if I can say since I haven't played all of them. I can say that my favorite (and my favorite videogame of all time) is FF7. That game completely changed how I thought about and played videogames. When it came out I was in 7th grade and I remember going over to my friend's house every night to play it. I still vividly remember the night we finally beat it, and I'm sure that's gonna stick with me for a while.

Before I played FF7, I was never really into RPGS, and playing it opened up a whole new genre to me. After playing it I went on to play FF8, Xenogears, and FFT, and eventually became an RPG addict.

I dont think any game has affected me the way FF7 did (possibly Myth 2: Soulblighter), but I remain hopeful that another game will come along and do so.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']Before I played FF7, I was never really into RPGS, and playing it opened up a whole new genre to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except it was FF8 for me.

BTW, Grand Theft Auto did NOT invent non-linear quests. That style of playing dates back to 1987's Pirates, and possibly earlier. So it's wrong to say FF10-2 copied GTA. FF10-2 was copying earlier games from the 80's.

I'm not saying they copied it or anything, it's just the influence. GTA created a trend of moving some games to the same kind of non-linear pick-a-quest approach and the wander-around pick-a-quest. Ala the newer Jak and Daxter (I think it was 2), etc.

I like the job system quite a bit for some things...FF5 was pretty good. And having only 1-2 jobs available at once is better than FFVI/FFVII's do-everything problems. But I like characters to have more strengths and weaknesses you have to work with, and less make-them-what-you-want. I don't like seeing dumb fighter characters throwing heal and destroy-stuff spells, etc. Some customization is good, but like the above person said except I don't like it...Barrett throwing 31 fire spells in a round is silly. Little Black Mage in FF9 doing it - fine. Big Fighter Guy with machine gun doing it - silly. If it wasn't for that kind of thing, I would like FFVI a lot better.

I'm going to stand up and say FFXI. It is my first experience into the FF world, but I also had a blast playing it.

I just picked up VII, and X, so we'll see how much I like them in comparison.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm going to stand up and say FFXI. It is my first experience into the FF world, but I also had a blast playing it.

I just picked up VII, and X, so we'll see how much I like them in comparison.[/QUOTE]

AAAAhh hahaha! Hahahaha!

Oh my god! OH MY GOD!! XI, the best Final Fantasy!

AHHHAHHAHAHAAHAHAH!! Oh stop! Stop, it hurts! I can't stop laughing! THE BEST... HAHAHAHAHHA!

HAHAH.. hah.. hah.. heh.. oh my god. oh that's too much.. oh man.

*snicker* ffxi the best one.. *giggle*

Ok, ok, ok, ok.... I'm ok.. phew that was a DOOZY..

The only one I've completed so far is X, and I thought it was amazing. Really, really emotional stuff. I'm about 2/3 through FFVII right now, I completed the first disc of FFVIII, played several hours of Tactics and Tactics Advance, and dabbled in all of the others for at least a couple of hours. And just to cover my ass, I played FFXI for about four months. Worst MMO ever.

Anyways, I can't really pick a "best FF evar" since they're all so different... storyline, characters, gameplay (parts of it anyways). FFVII, FFVIII and DEFINITELY X stand out as my favorites.

heh.. heheh.. XI..

.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!

Why is FFXI the worst MMO ever? I played it for a while and it ended up not being my thing, but I wouldn't go that far. I just want to hear the reason behind that.

[quote name='red flare graf']Why is FFXI the worst MMO ever? I played it for a while and it ended up not being my thing, but I wouldn't go that far. I just want to hear the reason behind that.[/QUOTE]

It's sluggish as hell, takes forever between Attack and Pulling The God Damn Weapon Out, harsh death penalties, mobs can attack you from 100 yards away. Hell, even EQ and EQ2 are better than that piece of shit. Every other MMO I've played is at least ten times better than FFXI.

[quote name='redgopher']It's sluggish as hell, takes forever between Attack and Pulling The God Damn Weapon Out, harsh death penalties, mobs can attack you from 100 yards away. Hell, even EQ and EQ2 are better than that piece of shit. Every other MMO I've played is at least ten times better than FFXI.[/QUOTE]

Good for you.

bread's done
Back