What was the first game you ever bought ?

E.T. for the Atari 2600, bought it at a (now extinct) Toy King store for $4.00 out of their "going out business" bargain bin.

Brian P

Pro Wrestling for the NES, plus the NES itself and the SMB/Duck Hunt game that came with it. All my own money when I was like 10 or something.

Radio Shack Pong was the first that my parents got me.

pong04.jpg

I think the first game I bought with my own money was Basketball for the Atari 2600 but I am really not sure.
basketball.png

Now thats sexy...

Either way, I think it was during the big game crash of 1983 because I remember lots of 99 cent Atari 2600 cartridges at that time and being only 7, that would be at my price range.

It was a game from Broderbund for the Atari 800 on cassette tape back in 1981. I can't remember the exact title but I remember it was at the Big Ben's music store on Ventura Blvd. in Encino. Back in those days you had to drive a ways to find the stores that handled computer games.

I can't find a listing through Google but I believe the word 'lunar' was in the title. The game was a variant on the 'Lunar Lander' genre in which you had to land on one of three locations with a stranded astronaut so he could scamper into the ship. The major complication was a big lizardoid monster that would show up. If you landed on the opposite side of the monster from where the astronaut was, he would still try to run to your ship and leap into the monster's mouth en route. The monster had some cute masticating animation that would cause us to feed it repeatedly instead of playing the game correctly. Big novelty value back then.

You didn't have any weapons except for your ship's thruster. If you hovered over the monster close enough it would be killed but this expended fuel, of course. I could probably put together a clone with immensely better presentation in Flash over the course of an afternoon but it wouldn't have the same specialness as it did.

After that I got a few other cassettes and cartridges. Shamus, Star Raiders, Missile Command, Centipede, Galaxian, Miner 2049er, and a few others. Then I fell into the world of piracy and ruined my appreciation of game purchases for years.

I'm not going to count Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt since it came with the NES.
First game I bought was Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? for the NES.

[quote name='TJordan522']Well, I didn't buy it. I got N64 for Christmas with Mario Kart and Goldeneye.[/quote]

Same here. (we're brothers)

I really have no idea what the first game I bought with my own money was though.

First game I remember owning - a birthday present - was Necromancer for the Apple II+. First game I remember spending my own money on was Karateka for Apple II+.

Haha, Necromancer was surprisingly fun. I just played the Atari 800 version a few months ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. :)

The first game I personally had ever purchased was Roller coaster tycoon for the PC, Since my parents bought the Nintendo with mario when I was younger...

Hmm, out of pocket with my own money would have to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2...when I bought my Sega Genesis. Ooh, it was magical.

Final Fantasy 7 for PS1. Up until that point I had never had a source of income so I had to wait for videogames as presents. This was the beggining of the era where all my systems from there on out held massive collections of games, the PS1 managing triple digits.

Little nemo : the dream master for the NES. Its still one of the best games I've ever played

[quote name='zewone']Ice Climbers.

ice_mountain.gif
[/quote]

Same here ;), not counting the bundle game....

Altough, it think the game is pretty decent...I was 5 when I got it and its pretty sorry for a 5 year old :p

SwordQuest Waterworld, Atari 2600, $3 from KBToys. Yeah, WATERworld, the rare one. Don't ask me why KB had it.

Actually, odds are pretty good that it wasn't -the- first game I bought with my own money, but it's gotta be close and certainly worth bragging points.

First game I chose - Parsec for TI-994a. First game with my own hard-earned money -- Contra (I think it was $40).

That I bought was... hmm... i believe wave race 64... but that was bought for me....

either teenage mutant ninja turtles attack of the foot clan for GB (with the system) or mario bros/duck hunt for snes (with system)

[quote name='PaulEMoz']Haha, Necromancer was surprisingly fun. I just played the Atari 800 version a few months ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. :)[/quote]

Bill Williams was a genuine genius. I had the pleasure of working with him, albeit over the phone, at Cinemaware. I've never met another single individual who was so capable in so many aspects of game development. I was shocked to learn tha he died of cystic fibrosis a few years ago.

First game I ever bought with my own money was Hero for Atari 2600. Of course it didn't work and had to return it. It's hard to teach a kid the lesson of patience when he has a new game he wants to play.

I had lots of games purchased for me by my parents for the Atari 2600, but the first game that I bought for myself (with birthday money) was "Steeplechase" for the 2600.

Megaman 2 was the first game I bought, I think it was the 3rd game I ever owned. I don't count SMB/Duck Hunt since it was a pack in, and I almost never played Magic Johnson's Fast Break, which I got from one of my grandmothers for xmas.

sold pecans i picked up when i was 7..bought haunted house and raiders of the lost ark for the 2600!!

[quote name='schultzed']

My own money . . .

I remember buying Atari 2600 Outlaw with tips from my paper route. 1978? Designed by David Crane before he left for Activision.

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/2600/outlaw.png

My god! I'm too old to play video games![/quote]

That's cool . My mom picked out that game for herself , the day we bought our Atari VCS [2600] . I think my dad picked out Street Racer .

Let's see here...
I think it is probably Super Mario Land for the Game Boy.
That was awesome.
Or it might have been Super Mario World for the SNES.
I can't remember :p

I honestly have no idea. My earliest memories of gaming involve Contra on either the NES or SNES. Before that I really have no idea. I know I had an Atari, but can't remember anything about it.

Mine (and my brother's) was Ghosts N Goblins for the NES. I remember thinking the two screenshots we saw were the best graphics ever. This was during that brief time Nintendo replaced Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt with an 'Official Players Guide' that featured 50 or so NES games as a pack-in with the system. We cried over that purchase, as it was physically impossible for an 8-year old and a 6-year old to get past the second level in that game. I doubt I could do any better today.

with my own money - Ms. Pac-man for the Atari 5200 from Service Merchandise back in the early 80s. It was $52.99 and I remember I had to save up an extra week of lawn mowing money because of the tax (my parents weren't too fond of video games and refused to put even a penny towards them even at Christmas and birthdays - now they've created a monster).

bread's done
Back