What was the first game you ever bought ?

Hmmm... first game ever would be the Magnavox Odyssey 100

nw2k0011.jpg

But first one purchased under my direct influence... hm...
a 2600 title for sure, I bought plenty and got my folks and such to get many.... but the one I remember really pushing for was Star Raiders (even though this one came later in the life of the system, I must have gotten other games before this), which I thought would completely open up new vistas of gaming goodness for me.

star_raiders.jpg

cx21.jpg

My first video game was a Pong system that used static plastic graphics of a tennis court, hockey rink or soccer field. Billed as 3 games, but it was the same game with different plastic overlays. This was replaced when we got a TV too big for the overlays with the National Semiconductor Adversarry game system (Pong).

First cart based game was Baseball for the RCA Studio; still have it today; big yellow box.

First game my Mom would play was Pac Man on the 2600, I would come home after a hard day at school and hear pac-man going once I got to the porch... for some reason that would piss me off that she got to stay home all day and play. :) Now at 60 she stays up all night and plays Zumba.

The only one I can really remember buying for myself was Royal Rumble for the SNES. I remember paying my grandma for it on New Years Day around 1994. I was 9 and I remember it was a shitload of money. Maybe 60 bucks. I saved forever.

[quote name='Agent_logan']My first video game was a Pong system that used static plastic graphics of a tennis court, hockey rink or soccer field. Billed as 3 games, but it was the same game with different plastic overlays. This was replaced when we got a TV too big for the overlays with the National Semiconductor Adversarry game system (Pong).[/quote]

How did you put those plastic overlays on a TV?...

First I bought, can't remember. I know it was a PC game, probably a Sierra Adventure game (I used to play so many of those).

But, I'm pretty sure the first game I played was Wolfenstein 3D back when I was about 4 (Great game for a 4-year-old isn't it!).

[quote name='tinman_licks']I can't believe no one has mentioned this already. It was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that was ported to the NES from the awesome arcade game (I don't count Super Mario Bros. or Duck Hunt since those came with the system). Paid $35 bucks for it at KBtoys. It's the first and only game I bought for the system, sadly since I didn't have the money for games growing up. But I'm more than making up for that now, having discovered this site from reading EGM.[/quote]

My first game I got with my own money was TMNT 2: The arcade game. It cost me 50 bucks (birthday money). And I got it from Fedco. It came with a coupon for a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. I thought it was cool to get pizza and not have to read a Book to earn it.

Great game, and I even got my name as the top score in the old SWAT PRO magazine. It was something like 1140.

The first game I ever got was SMB/Duck Hunt when my mom bought me an NES as a birthday gift in the late 80's.

The first game I ever bought with my own money was a loose copy of The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past for SNES for $14.99 back in the late 90's (the price is still the most I've paid for any SNES game). I still have it in my collection. :)

It wasn't my first, but I distinctly remember buying Chopper Command for the 2600 and I also remember buying Super Mario Bros 3 with my christmas money. That was after I lost interest in games for a couple years and I haven't lost that love since SMB3.

Good thread, OP.

My brother had an NES, which later became my NES. He had a few games. The first game I bought: Metroid! I was six. It took me so long to earn that much money! I remember the first system and games I truly purchased for myself (through a job) was my Sega Genesis and its games. I paid $80 for my Genny, when I was 10-12 years old. I bought it at Aldi, if anyone knows what that is! :D

Ghost house for the Sega master system is the first game I saved money for and bought. Unless, you count the double dragon tiger handheld :D .

I remember when I got my Atari 2600 for Christmas, I had to be 5. Then I remember when my best friend got an NES for Christmas and we played Kung Fu for a week straight. Good stuff.

mine was Super Smash Brothers and Super Mario 64 me and my brother worked w/ my dad for weeks and finnally got about $130 and we still have the games today hehe!

We had a ton of games for the Commodore 64, but I don't recall ever buying any on my own. Same for the Atari 2600, except maybe a game or two at a garage sale.

The first game I remember buying with my own money was the Sega Master System II (~$60 in ~1990). I didn't even have enough money left over to buy a game with it, but luckily it came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built into the system.

bread's done
Back