What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

Bought Tokyo Police Club's Elephant Shell last week. It's disappointing when a band's first LP doesn't match up to their debut EP. It's not a bad album, it just doesn't have any stand-outs like "Citizens of Tomorrow" on it.

Opeth... that the heavy metal band with the chick lead singer that sounds like death?

yeasayer - All hours cymbals
fleet foxes - ST

Both very nice and relaxing.

[quote name='refusedchaos']no i havent..any good?[/quote]

yea, check it out. Lots of really cool classic rock influences. You can tell that Akerfeldt is a huge Deep Purple fan.

[quote name='homeland']Opeth... that the heavy metal band with the chick lead singer that sounds like death?[/quote]

That would be Otep. Similar name, very different music.

Woohoo, did you get the double-gatefold vinyl of $$$$y Tardust? If so, where/how much?

I'm thinking about calling a record store nearby to see how much they want for it.

Mindless Self Indulgence - (It's 3am) Issues [EP]
Mindless Self Indulgence - Pay For It [EP]
Mindless Self Indulgence - On It [EP]

[quote name='rabbitt']Woohoo, did you get the double-gatefold vinyl of $$$$y Tardust? If so, where/how much?

I'm thinking about calling a record store nearby to see how much they want for it.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:( Nope. They had one vinyl copy at a store in my state, but I didn't feel like spending more money on gas and music. I'm getting po'.

[quote name='bmachine']Mindless Self Indulgence - (It's 3am) Issues [EP]
Mindless Self Indulgence - Pay For It [EP]
Mindless Self Indulgence - On It [EP][/quote]

I'm sorely tempted to do the international edition/ep set deal they're doing on their MySpace, but I think MSI officially lost me as a die hard fan with what they've done recently.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I'm sorely tempted to do the international edition/ep set deal they're doing on their MySpace, but I think MSI officially lost me as a die hard fan with what they've done recently.[/quote]

I hear you. My obsession doesn't run nearly as deep as it used to.

I'm still of the mind that mediocre/user-friendly MSI is better than anything by Coldplay, so I'll happily continue to give Jimmy my money. Plus, I really dig the remixes (and the bands doing them: Tweaker, Frontline Assembly, Scandy, Wumpscut, etc).

That international edition has a bunch of extra tracks, doesn't it? It's probably a solid deal.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What did you think of it?[/quote]

I've got almost the same answer here: it's decent, but not amazing. They're clearly not the band they used to be but I've kind of made my peace with that. You're clearly a big fan...what did you think of it?

"Just ok" music from Alkaline Trio is better than anything by...who should I pick on now?...I'll stick with Coldplay because I just cannot wrap my brain around the almost unanimous adoration of Viva La Vida. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bmachine']

I've got almost the same answer here: it's decent, but not amazing. They're clearly not the band they used to be but I've kind of made my peace with that. You're clearly a big fan...what did you think of it?
[/quote]
I deprived myself of all the songs that came out before the record itself did, so I could hear them all at once. About 4 seconds into Calling All Skeletons, I said "what the fuck is this?". It's one of those records that sounds better when you are driving, in your car, than it does when you sit down and listen to it. It's got some catchy hooks, but for the most part, a lot of the songs are throw aways. From all their previous records and B-sides, there wasn't a single song that I would hear, and skip over. On this record, there are like 3 or 4. Pretty obvious the production has a lot to do with it, the acoustic versions of 4 of the songs are so much better.

As for what you should buy next, save some money in a jar somewhere for the new The Gaslight Anthem record, The 59 Sound, which comes out on August 12th. Incredible record, and sure to be on pretty much EVERY punk fans Top 10 List. Well, the ones who aren't too "punx", anyways.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I deprived myself of all the songs that came out before the record itself did, so I could hear them all at once. About 4 seconds into Calling All Skeletons, I said "what the fuck is this?". [/quote]

I thought "Calling All Skeletons" was a highlight, actually. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything with a clap-track. ;) I like the CD, I'm just not blown away by it...and I'm used to being blown away by Alkaline Trio.

Did you like Matt's side project, Heavens? I think that CD is pretty exceptional.

The acoustic bonus stuff is really solid...you can DL an acoustic version of "Love Love Kiss Kiss" from Amazon, too. I prefer that version of the song over the one on the disc.

I'm going to see them in NYC this weekend...perhaps hearing some of this stuff live will make it easier for me to appreciate it?

[quote name='bmachine']I thought "Calling All Skeletons" was a highlight, actually. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything with a clap-track. ;) I like the CD, I'm just not blown away by it...and I'm used to being blown away by Alkaline Trio.

Did you like Matt's side project, Heavens? I think that CD is pretty exceptional.

The acoustic bonus stuff is really solid...you can DL an acoustic version of "Love Love Kiss Kiss" from Amazon, too. I prefer that version of the song over the one on the disc.

I'm going to see them in NYC this weekend...perhaps hearing some of this stuff live will make it easier for me to appreciate it?[/quote]Yeah, I played the hell out of Heavens last spring/summer, great stuff, hope he makes more. I like Calling All Skeletons, it was just the initial surprise of the production that startled me. And I dig hand claps too, I just think if you put them in a record, it's got to be either in the middle or the end. You gotta build to the handclaps!

Seems like Matt's vocals have gone through 3 periods:

1. Goddamnit-Maybe I'll Catch Fire
2. From Here To Infirmary - Good Mourning "fucked Up Throat" era (moreso on Good Mourning than Infirmary)
3. Crimson - Agony and Irony Post-Production (moreso on Agony and Irony)

But yeah, like you said, "bad" Alkaline Trio is better than most stuff.

Can anyone here vouch for Tower Records website? It's cheaper for me to get $$$$yTardust from them than to get it locally, but I've never ordered from them before.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Can anyone here vouch for Tower Records website? It's cheaper for me to get $$$$yTardust from them than to get it locally, but I've never ordered from them before.[/quote]

I've ordered from Tower.com a few times before without problems, but that was a while ago. In fact, now that I think about it, those orders were from way back when their B&M stores were still around. I miss the days of lounging at their listening kiosks for hours.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Can anyone here vouch for Tower Records website? It's cheaper for me to get $$$$yTardust from them than to get it locally, but I've never ordered from them before.[/QUOTE]

I've only ordered a few times from the site its been smooth sailing though their shipping prices sucks

[quote name='Liquid 2']Can anyone here vouch for Tower Records website? It's cheaper for me to get $$$$yTardust from them than to get it locally, but I've never ordered from them before.[/quote]
When I say N***y
You say nothing
N***y

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of $$$$yTardust (album)
Lightspeed Champion - Galaxy of the Lost (single)

Both on vinyl.

Good luck with Tower.com.
I've heard nothing but bad things now that the retail stores are gone.

My purchases:

The Smiths - Sign Here
(silver bootleg, complete with nice artwork)
The Smiths - This Charming Man
(maxi-single in digipak, 2nd copy as my other one isn't in a digipak)
The Smiths - Sweet and Tender Hooligan
(maxi single, 2nd copy as the plastic casing is white instead of black like normal)

Yes I bought stuff I already own because the packaging was slightly different.

LCD Soundsystem - s/t
(2 disc version)
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - 1984-1989
(nice comp from first 3 albums)

[quote name='fart_bubble']I've only ordered a few times from the site its been smooth sailing though their shipping prices sucks[/quote]

In addition, it took forever for them to even ship the stuff I ordered...something like 10 days before it even left the distribution center (despite everything being listed as "in stock").

[quote name='bmachine']In addition, it took forever for them to even ship the stuff I ordered...something like 10 days before it even left the distribution center (despite everything being listed as "in stock").[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't have that problem.

Sodom - M16

B00005QJR2_03_LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[quote name='Liquid 2']Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of $$$$yTardust (album)
[/QUOTE]

I went to the record store near me, and it was $18.50, so I'll just order it online. Here's my haul from yesterday:

Boris - Smile
envy - A Dead Sinking Story
Parts & Labor - Escapers Two (51 fucking tracks in less than 30 minutes)
Russian Circles - Station
Explosions In The Sky - Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever (vinyl)
Liars/Gerry Mitchell & Little Sparta - Keep Mother vol. 4 (vinyl, #147/500)

$66

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Whoa, rabbitt, what is that Parts & Labor album?

New stuff? Any good?[/QUOTE]

I checked on what.cd, and they didn't have it listed. You can get it from their website, but I haven't listened to it yet. I'm sure it's cool as hell though.

[quote name='dallow']What's the fascination with short track times?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean in general or as of late?

Personally, I just really like Parts & Labor and wanna get my hands on any of their stuff.

As far as short track times go, I have no clue. Guess it depends on the type of music. Some grindcore bands, for example, rarely play songs more than 90 seconds; Sneaky would be more helpful on this topic, though.

The short track times are interesting because they aren't typical of a band like Parts & Labor. I mentioned it because it's a slight departure from their style, at least in length, which is what got me to buy the cd ultimately.

This is way off topic, well, not really.

What do I need to play modern day vinyl records? Obviously, a player, but where can I buy a new, moderately affordable one? And what about speakers?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']This is way off topic, well, not really.

What do I need to play modern day vinyl records? Obviously, a player, but where can I buy a new, moderately affordable one? And what about speakers?[/QUOTE]

player, amp (if there isn't one built into the player), stereo receiver and then some speakers

Make sure you ask around your family first, there is typically at least one person in anyone's family that has one sitting in their house just taking up space.

If not, as to where to pick one up, pretty much any electronics store should have at least a small section.

[quote name='fart_bubble']If not, as to where to pick one up, pretty much any electronics store should have at least a small section.[/quote]

Craigslist is a great resource, as well.

ALSO: I bought this USB turntable at Hot Topic a couple of years back and it's pretty awesome. Allows me to get some of those "vinyl only" bonus tracks onto my Zune.

[quote name='bmachine']Craigslist is a great resource, as well.[/QUOTE]

yep as its nothing more than essentially hitting a rummage sale. Still don't understand why when people on here ask where to buy a turntable, they always seem to want a new one.

I've noticed a recent trend is local record stores are stocking new turntables again. My ex took our player when we broke up, so I got a surprisingly solid Audio Technica stereo drive for 99 bucks at Waterloo.
If you have any local record stores, I would suggest giving them a call and see what's up.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']As far as short track times go, I have no clue. Guess it depends on the type of music. Some grindcore bands, for example, rarely play songs more than 90 seconds; Sneaky would be more helpful on this topic, though.[/quote]

Speaking of this, I've been blowing through a playlist labeled "PLAY FAST OR DIE", which started at about 2600 songs, lasting only about 30 hours or so.
Full of bands whose entire discography consists of 80 songs in

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I've noticed a recent trend is local record stores are stocking new turntables again. My ex took our player when we broke up, so I got a surprisingly solid Audio Technica stereo drive for 99 bucks at Waterloo.
If you have any local record stores, I would suggest giving them a call and see what's up.[/QUOTE]

Not surprising-- although CD sales continue to drop, vinyl sales were up last year... something like 20-30%, I think.

Last CD I bought was Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple (just a couple weeks ago-- behind on this one).

[quote name='El Gray']Not surprising-- although CD sales continue to drop, vinyl sales were up last year... something like 20-30%, I think.[/QUOTE]

The shitty thing is vinyl is cheaper to produce and the artists make more money off vinyl sales, but now that it's becoming popular again, prices are going up. It's not like anything is going to change, ya know?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']The shitty thing is vinyl is cheaper to produce and the artists make more money off vinyl sales, but now that it's becoming popular again, prices are going up. It's not like anything is going to change, ya know?[/QUOTE]

I've noticed vinyl going up in prices...it sucks. Use to be where on average, you could get a single for $4 which is now starting to hit the $6 range, single single disc EP for $7.99 which is now hitting the $9.99 range and a double disc LP has gotten the worse price increase where your looking at a damn near $5 increase.

Its doesn't make sense IMO

Yet another Borders coupon for 40% off single-disc CDs:

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon40cd0710.asp?cmpid=SA_20080711_REW

There's an online code, too, so those of you with bad B&M selection or no Borders at all can get in on the deal. To sweeten the pot, there's free shipping on orders of $25 or more, or if your total is less than $25 you can do store pickup.

I picked up:

Amerie - Because I Love It
Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker
Apples in Stereo - Her Wallpaper Reverie

bread's done
Back