What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Time to ask for a recommendation.

Looking to pick up some Placebo cds. Just not sure where to start. I always enjoyed their singles but kind of forgot about them when they released their newest album and apparently it wasn't all that good anyway. But now I've gotten hungry for their music again so I ask you fellow CAGs where should I start.[/QUOTE]

You can really only go wrong if you start with their newest CD, Battle for the Sun. It's slight and lacks the emotional depth of their other stuff. Their first album, Placebo, is a fairly generic 90's alt-rock album -- I'd wait on picking that one up, as well. Both have some good tracks but don't serve as good introductions.

I think Sleeping With Ghosts is their best work, followed closely by Black Market Music, Meds, and then Without You I'm Nothing.

You could take a shortcut and just buy Once More With Feeling, their pre-2007 "best of" collection, but you'd definitely be missing out on some great tracks.

If you're a completist be sure to find their Covers album and their live DVD, Soulmates Never Die. Excellent stuff there.

Vinyl pickups:
Yes - self titled
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (white label "branded" promo)
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - self titled (in the wrapper new)
Blood Sweat And Tears - self titled (Quadraphonic LP)
GTR - self titled (pretty rare)
The Guess Who - Greatest Hits

CD pickups:
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy
The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse
2001: A Space Odyssey Soundtrack
Asia - self titled (Audio Fidelity 24k Gold issue)
Vampire Weekend - Contra
Ace Of Base - Everytime It Rains (UK Single Part 1)
Ace Of Base - Everytime It Rains (UK Single Part 2)
Ace Of Base - Life Is A Flower (German Maxi Single)

Arcade Fire - Suburbs
Steve Miller Band - Bingo
Rx Bandits - Mandala
Slightly Stoopid - Slightly Not Stoned Enough To Eat Breakfast Yet
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Broken Bells - Broken Bells
Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms

Street Sweeper Social Club - The Ghetto Blaster EP
glassjaw - Worship and Tribute (I think I first decided to order this ~2003, and never got around to it until now)

Haven't updated this in a while...

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (LP)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Over Avery Island (LP)
Pixies - Doolittle (LP)
The Antlers - Hospice (LP)
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (LP)
The Beatles - Rarities (Original LP)
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (Original 2xLP)
The Beatles - Rock and Roll Music (LP)
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (Original LP)
The Doors - The Doors (Original LP)
Beach House - Teen Dream (2xLP)
Devo - Duty Now For The Future (LP)
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings (LP)
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped (LP)
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (2xLP)
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
The Who - Tommy (Original 2xLP)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory (Original LP)

Last actual compact disk I bought was: Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon

Last itunes purchases were:
The Constellations - Southern Gothic
Broken Bells - Broken Bells
Lil Wayne - The Leak (just got around to buying it)

The Eels- Tomorrow Morning.

I typically do not listen to music for lyrical content but Mark Oliver Everett seems to be speaking directly to me. When you learn the kind of tragedy this guy has endured in his life it sure puts into context all these motherfuckING whiny emo pretty boys who pout and preen for the cameras with their generic angst. I just want to beat them in the head with a fucking mallet. fuck them and their vanilla suburban upbringings and "darkness". Tools.

Incite - Mindpiercing
Angina P - Sensitive Files
13th Monkey - Redefining the Paradigm of Bang
Pneumatic Detach - [vis.cer.a]
Pneumatic Detach - [re.vis.cer.a]
Enfusion - Outermission
Echorausch - Different Waves
Freeze Etch - Vessels
Ahnst Anders - New Ways
This Morn Omina - Momentum of Singular Clarity
Mika Goedrijk - Pellicules
Zeller - Audio Vandalism
HPC - Halfbreed

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Black Sabbath - Volume 4.

Those three, combined with the copy of Paranoid I already had, means I now have all the Black Sabbath that matters. Win.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Those three, combined with the copy of Paranoid I already had, means I now have all the Black Sabbath that matters. Win.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I bought the Ozzy Era Black Sabbath remastered box set like 5 years ago. It was a little pricey, but worth every penny. I would recommend checking out Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage too. Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! can be skipped.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Those three, combined with the copy of Paranoid I already had, means I now have all the Black Sabbath that matters. Win.[/QUOTE]

I would say Heaven and Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanize matter as well. RJD was also great in Sabbath.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I would say Heaven and Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanize matter as well. RJD was also great in Sabbath.[/QUOTE]

I cannot stand Dio, so those will be easily skipped. I may have to check out Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage though.

img_1_pr.jpg

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I cannot stand Dio, so those will be easily skipped. I may have to check out Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage though.[/QUOTE]
Well to each their own and definitely check out Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.

Heaven and Hell is easily my favorite Black Sabbath album followed by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Paranoid. Just saying.

Addicts: Black Meddle, Pt. II by Nachtmystium would be the last cd I purchased. Not as good as Assassins: Black Meddle Pt.1 imo, but still a good follow up.

[quote name='tcrash247']QFT. I bought the Ozzy Era Black Sabbath remastered box set like 5 years ago. It was a little pricey, but worth every penny. I would recommend checking out Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage too. Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! can be skipped.[/QUOTE]

Never Say Die is a really good album. Very mellow with some good guitar playing. I really like it.

I haven't posted here in a long time, but rather than go back and list all of my purchases since my last post, I'll just post today's:

Hot Chip - One Life Stand (200g Collector's Edition)

Inception soundtrack.

My local BB scaled back the CD section by about 25% a couple of weeks ago. Online music is really having a visible effect on the CD market.

JOCO- best.concert.ever-cd/dvd
Metroid Metal- Album of the year edition( first album + EP)
Protomen-actI,act1I, + Makeup and vaniy set presents The Protomen
Of Monteral- False priest red vinyl, Hissing fauna,(cd)Skeletal Lamping(cd) Icons ,abstract thee(cd) came in the mail as part of the deluxe false priest package

[quote name='neocisco']

My local BB scaled back the CD section by about 25% a couple of weeks ago. Online music is really having a visible effect on the CD market.[/QUOTE]

You said it. That and the economy are a double wammy. The local CD seller Cheapo did something I never thought would happen - they are only open till like 8-10 or something. For Years and years, they were open noon to midnight 365 days a year.

As of tomorrow, the next CD I will have bought will be the new interpol CD.

I know it came out in May and it might not be up everyone's alley, but the newest As I Lay Dying CD, "The Powerless Rise" is incredible. If you like them at all, this is easily their best album.

Pop Will Eat Itself-This Is The Day...This Is The Hour...This Is This!
Pop Will Eat Itself-Axe of Men 2010
The Prodigy-The Prodigy Experience

Interpol - Interpol
Hurts - Happiness

[quote name='Wrath99']"I was born in this town, live here my whole life
Probably come to die in this town, live here my whole life
Never anything to do in this town, live here my whole life
Never anything to do in this town, live here my whole life
Probably learn to die in this town, live here my whole life"[/QUOTE]

Set me on FIRE!

Picked up some LPs today.

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (Original Pressing)
The Smiths - Meat is Murder (Original Pressing)
The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (Original Pressing)
Guided By Voices - Under The Bushes, Under The Stars
Guided By Voices - Earthquake Glue
Elvis Perkins in Dearland - Doomsday EP

bread's done
Back