Whats a good RPG for my PSP???

ninjalunchbox79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This is the only system I dont have an RPG for!!! I've heard mixed reviews about every rpg released for this system , I guess thats why I havent purchased one yet. But does anybody have any recomendations??? I'm more of an old-school rpg player , any suggestions will be appreciated , thanxs!!

I think the only good RPGs on the system are Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and Tales of Eternia (which needs to be imported from the UK.) Both are very, very good though.

I dont know I got Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony I personally enjoy it...Its very Diabloesque style but thats just my 2 cents

I have the following:

• Astonishia Story(Absolutely abysmal. Never buy this. Ever.)
Blade Dancer - Lineage of Light(Good, very standard-fare classic-style RPG)
Bounty Hounds(Good, but is a total grindfest)
Generation of Chaos(Great, but has a MASSIVE learning curve)
• Kingdom of Paradise(Good, but hard to follow Shinbu's notes)
• Neopets - The Wand of Wishing(Good, and has a lot of puzzle elements for those who thought UL's dungeon designs were too dull... but you may feel like less of a man for having to ask for something with the title.)
Legend of Heroes - A Tear of Vermillion(Good, but has translation issues)
• Legend of Heroes II - Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch(Good, very narrative-heavy)
• Lord of the Rings Tactics(Average. Has solid design, but lacks definition)
• PoPoLoCrois(Good, has a lot of humor, but is the easiest RPG I've played since Golden Sun)
Phantasy Star 2*(Good, but hard as hell)
Phantasy Star 3*(Mediocre, has no sense of direction - strangely fun though)
Phantasy Star 4*(Great, much more simple to handle for casuals)
Sword of Vermillion*(Average, very confusing for newcomers and very challenging)
Spectral Souls - Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires(Great, but has loading issues)
Tales of Eternia(EXCELLENT, but features nothing Tales of Destiny II didn't)
• Untold Legends - Brotherhood of the Blade(Average. It's solid, but lacks presentation)
• Untold Legends 2 - The Warrior's Code(Good. Has the presentation UL1 lacks, and online play)
• Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth(Great, but very slow-paced and limited by a period system)
Ys - Ark of Napishtim(Great, but has loading issues)

Stay away from Astonishia and you should be fine. My personal favorites are in green.

*Is a part of Sega Genesis Collection

[quote name='TLR']I have the following:

• Astonishia Story(Absolutely abysmal. Never buy this. Ever.)
Blade Dancer - Lineage of Light(Good, very standard-fare classic-style RPG)
Bounty Hounds(Good, but is a total grindfest)
Generation of Chaos(Great, but has a MASSIVE learning curve)
• Kingdom of Paradise(Good, but hard to follow Shinbu's notes)
• Neopets - The Wand of Wishing(Good, and has a lot of puzzle elements for those who thought UL's dungeon designs were too dull... but you may feel like less of a man for having to ask for something with the title.)
Legend of Heroes - A Tear of Vermillion(Good, but has translation issues)
• Legend of Heroes II - Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch(Good, very narrative-heavy)
• Lord of the Rings Tactics(Average. Has solid design, but lacks definition)
• PoPoLoCrois(Good, has a lot of humor, but is the easiest RPG I've played since Golden Sun)
Phantasy Star 2*(Good, but hard as hell)
Phantasy Star 3*(Mediocre, has no sense of direction - strangely fun though)
Phantasy Star 4*(Great, much more simple to handle for casuals)
Sword of Vermillion*(Average, very confusing for newcomers and very challenging)
Spectral Souls - Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires(Great, but has loading issues)
Tales of Eternia(EXCELLENT, but features nothing Tales of Destiny II didn't)
• Untold Legends - Brotherhood of the Blade(Average. It's solid, but lacks presentation)
• Untold Legends 2 - The Warrior's Code(Good. Has the presentation UL1 lacks, and online play)
• Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth(Great, but very slow-paced and limited by a period system)
Ys - Ark of Napishtim(Great, but has loading issues)

Stay away from Astonishia and you should be fine. My personal favorites are in green.

*Is a part of Sega Genesis Collection[/quote]

THANXS TLR!!!!! To tell you the truth I almost bought *astonshia* one day off of a friend for about $10??? Seemed kinda fishy to me so I didnt , thanks for the info . . . . .

"Breath Of Fire 3". I would recommend it, especially if you don't have it on the PS or have never played it.
"Princess Crown" is another I'd recommend.

[quote name='Sarang01']"Breath Of Fire 3". I would recommend it, especially if you don't have it on the PS or have never played it.
"Princess Crown" is another I'd recommend.[/QUOTE]

Yeah what he said. (In addition to the list by TLR.)

[quote name='naes']How's PoPoLoCrois?[/QUOTE]

I liked it. It's not GREAT. I wouldn't buy a system for it, and it's really simple. Kind of reminds me of some 8 or 16-bit RPGs. It's pretty charming and playable, and has some animated cut scenes. It's a nice little game.

Sega Genesis Collection is a steal anyway, so you might as well get that for it's four RPGs.

I HATED Kingdom of Paradise. Have some friends who LOVE Legend of Heroes (and don't normally play RPGs, but were going on about that for a couple of months). I was hoping to find those for $20, but never have :( Waiting for Y's to hit $20 too.

I've picked up the first Untold Legends ($20 Greatest Hit), Neopets ($10 this week with coupon at Gamestop) and will pick up Dungeon Seige for $10 tomorrow, but I haven't played any of them yet but they all look promising.

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']THANXS TLR!!!!! To tell you the truth I almost bought *astonshia* one day off of a friend for about $10??? Seemed kinda fishy to me so I didnt , thanks for the info . . . . .[/QUOTE]

I think it's the one that's $10 new from K-Mart, if there's still copies. The general consensus seemed to be it wasn't even worth that.

After what I've been told about the PSP version of "Popolocrois" and it's editing I'd suggest buying the PS versions instead.
In fact I may just dl them from Sony.

[quote name='pete5883']Details?[/quote]
Apparently, of the compilation; PoPoLoCrois 1 was completely mangled, but it was made up for with a lot of extra content. PPLC2 was left intact.

I can't really say to what extent PPLC1 got mangled since the PSP compilation is the only one available to the American audiences.

[quote name='clockworkvictim']Popolocrois, quirky and fun.... I enjoyed that game. VP was meh for me, but I know I am in the minority on that one.[/QUOTE]

I don't like Valkyrie Profile either. Got further into it than I did on the original, but I still just got bored.

[quote name='TLR']Apparently, of the compilation; PoPoLoCrois 1 was completely mangled, but it was made up for with a lot of extra content. PPLC2 was left intact.

I can't really say to what extent PPLC1 got mangled since the PSP compilation is the only one available to the American audiences.[/QUOTE]

It's not really a compilation, at least in the traditional sense. Apparently it's made up of content from two games, but it's just a single game now.

Without knowing more details, it's impossible for me to say if anything was "mangled" because what's there plays just fine, and I have no idea what was from the original and what was from the sequel.

[quote name='pete5883']Details?[/quote]

Yay for Smiths fans.
If you have a Wii, I can send you Smiths Mii characters.

Sorry to thread hijack.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't like Valkyrie Profile either. Got further into it than I did on the original, but I still just got bored.[/quote]
Same. I'm gonna find a way to get into it sometime... but it just seems repetitive, slow and boring(which is quite odd, given that I could at least stay with Astonishia long enough to finish it).
[quote name='Wolfpup']It's not really a compilation, at least in the traditional sense. Apparently it's made up of content from two games, but it's just a single game now.

Without knowing more details, it's impossible for me to say if anything was "mangled" because what's there plays just fine, and I have no idea what was from the original and what was from the sequel.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm just going off what I was told about how "poor" PoPoLo is supposed to be. What's there does play very fine(currently on book one of the second half), so I'm thinking it's more a case of people overreacting at any possible inferiority it might have compared to the JP counterparts.

[quote name='TLR']Same. I'm gonna find a way to get into it sometime... but it just seems repetitive, slow and boring(which is quite odd, given that I could at least stay with Astonishia long enough to finish it).

Yeah, I'm just going off what I was told about how "poor" PoPoLo is supposed to be. What's there does play very fine(currently on book one of the second half), so I'm thinking it's more a case of people overreacting at any possible inferiority it might have compared to the JP counterparts.[/QUOTE]

Depends. There's been too much censorship(getting the DC version of Skies because of this) and sometimes more things stripped down in content than what I'd prefer. That usually happens more on the Japanese end with us getting the game later.

If you emulate, the SNES RPGs are fantastic. Otherwise, Sega Genesis Collection is your best best for PS2 and 4. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is good and of course there is always the Pseudo RPG, X-Men Legends 2.

bread's done
Back