What's everybody's gripe about the PS3?

[quote name='imascrub']what is it that people who dislike the ps3 despise about it?

Is it just futile protestation towards Sony the company itself?
Or do people actually think that the machine itself won't be able to handle the double teaming from the 360 and the Wii?
[/quote]
I think if Sony were not trying to get a leg up in the "next generation of television fidelity" war (calling it High Definition infringes on Toshiba trademark, I guess) by shoving a proprietary format down your throat which is both more expensive and less popular than HD DVD (at least up until PS3's release, if you feel you must argue with popularity of HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray, you can have it your way, yet the more expensive argument still holds) gets in the way of creating a game system that is just that: a fucking game system.

Wii & 360 don't really matter: if Sony were flying solo with the PS3, I still would think that it's not a good idea to hope sell more TVs by selling PlayStations. I also think that buying movies in Sony's proprietary PSP format is a waste as well, so you can definitely be clever and point out my bias. On an internet forum! (Unspeakable).

[quote name='imascrub'] The 360 itself is based of current technological architecture, the PS3 frickin created a new cpu that may change computer processing in the future, and the Wii has a very creative and innovative look at how to play games. [/quote]
Short answer: no. It's safe to say that PS3 chip is exceptionally powerful, of course. However, the design is bad for a number of reasons. Note that it will definitely get the job done for most of the things you would want to do with it, yet you should keep in mind that because of the way you have to split processing between certain things. I beg you not to buy into marketing ploys of any company, because they address what the processor is to YOU - not the developers.

Wii's little nunchuck idea is responsible for one thing: getting fuckers to talk about it all over the place. It probably sold a lot of units, but I do not believe the Wii to be a one-trick pony, which is what everyone seems to assume. My faith in the Wii lies in playing a rather thourough roster of games that I will enjoy. I've been sick of shooting things ever since those games started outselling LucasArts adventures and getting Sierra shut the hell down.

[quote name='imascrub']
Regardless of whether or not people are griping about the system or the company itself or price or whatnot, look at the Playstation 2. It isn't the highest selling and most popular game console for its generation for no reason. People will want it.[/quote]
PlayStation 2 is a very good console, indeed. Although I agree that to most it generally means that PS3 is cool by association, at present, I see it offering nothing apart from pretty pictures. Some art galleries have better pretty pictures than everything on a PS3 at the moment. I hope they'll make an actual game for the system soon, so this way I could be less pompous when talking about it.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I think if Sony were not trying to get a leg up in the "next generation of television fidelity" war (calling it High Definition infringes on Toshiba trademark, I guess) by shoving a proprietary format down your throat which is both more expensive and less popular than HD DVD (at least up until PS3's release, if you feel you must argue with popularity of HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray, you can have it your way, yet the more expensive argument still holds) gets in the way of creating a game system that is just that: a fucking game system.
[/quote]
Wow, that's quite a sentence you've got there. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Blu-ray is "proprietary" though. Yes, Sony developed it and has a big stake in its success or failure, but to call it "proprietary" implies that it only works with Sony hardware, or that only Sony will be making Blu-ray movies. Neither is true, and in fact Blu-ray has a much larger coalition of support than HD-DVD. I personally don't have strong feelings either way, but it seems that Microsoft and Intel have about as much to gain or lose depending on HD-DVD's success, and yet everyone always seems to point to Sony as the bad guy.

I also think that buying movies in Sony's proprietary PSP format is a waste as well, so you can definitely be clever and point out my bias. On an internet forum! (Unspeakable).
This is the trap that almost everyone arguing against Blu-ray falls into, and it just undermines your argument. UMD and Blu-ray are not even remotely alike. UMD discs can only be played on ONE machine made by ONE manufacturer, and they are very limited in their usefulness. You can't watch them on a big screen and price-wise they were often more expensive than the DVD versions, which had much better quality and more features. These issues do not really apply to the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD issue, since many different manufacturers will be making Blu-ray players and many different movie studios will be putting out Blu-ray movies.

Technically almost every format is proprietary. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, DVD, even MPEG formats. IMO some formats are "less proprietary" than others (ie MPEG-4 over Windows Media, since the latter is controlled by a single company while the former is a group, and there are lots of free tools out there to work with it).

But yeah, Blu Ray has had way more industry support so far than HD-DVD. HD-DVD's big advantage has just been that it launched first.

[quote name='Puppy']

But yeah, Blu Ray has had way more industry support so far than HD-DVD. HD-DVD's big advantage has just been that it launched first.[/QUOTE]

You mean the support thats dwindling soon for BLU-RAY except your counting all the movie houses owned by SONY? or the advantage that HD DVD is first and not that its superior picture quality ;) comon

Indeed. Apparently some early Blu Ray titles had slightly worse image quality than the equivalent HD-DVD title, but that was because they were (for some unknown reason) using MPEG 2 rather than a newer codec in the Blu Ray release. It's not a technical thing about Blu Ray.

And no, support for Blu Ray isn't dwindling. It has every studio except one if I'm remembering right. HD-DVD's support isn't as good.

Personally I wouldn't buy movies in either format until there's a defacto standard, though I might rent Blu Ray movies once I get a PS3 (assuming the Blu Ray rental price is the same as a DVD).

[quote name='Puppy']Indeed. Apparently some early Blu Ray titles had slightly worse image quality than the equivalent HD-DVD title, but that was because they were (for some unknown reason) using MPEG 2 rather than a newer codec in the Blu Ray release. It's not a technical thing about Blu Ray.

And no, support for Blu Ray isn't dwindling. It has every studio except one if I'm remembering right. HD-DVD's support isn't as good.

Personally I wouldn't buy movies in either format until there's a defacto standard, though I might rent Blu Ray movies once I get a PS3 (assuming the Blu Ray rental price is the same as a DVD).[/QUOTE]

Ya im not "backing up" a whole new collection of movies ;)

[quote name='MarioColbert']I think if Sony were not trying to get a leg up in the "next generation of television fidelity" war (calling it High Definition infringes on Toshiba trademark, I guess) by shoving a proprietary format down your throat which is both more expensive and less popular than HD DVD (at least up until PS3's release, if you feel you must argue with popularity of HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray, you can have it your way, yet the more expensive argument still holds) gets in the way of creating a game system that is just that: a fucking game system.[/quote]

When you say "more expensive", you are talking about the companies right? Not the consumers? From what I can see, both formats are about the same as far as the cost to consumers is concerned.

And, I believe that the unpopularity of Blu-ray in the past was due to people awaiting the release of the PS3 to buy a player. It makes sense. Save several hundred and get a free next-gen gaming console in the process.

[quote name='dpatel']It makes sense. Save several hundred and get a free next-gen gaming console in the process.[/quote]

Then if blu-ray loses the format wars, you're not only stuck with a useless media player, you're also stuck with a useless game console!

The reality is most people don't give a shit about either HD-DVD or Blu-ray. This is why HD-DVD will probably win, because studios can put HD-DVD and regular DVD on the same disk.

[quote name='nintendokid']Then if blu-ray loses the format wars, you're not only stuck with a useless media player, you're also stuck with a useless game console![/QUOTE]

That was still cheaper than the blu-ray player you would've bought. And roughly the same price as an HD-DVD player too, that also has the potential of being "useless".

[quote name='rickonker']The reality is most people don't give a shit about either HD-DVD or Blu-ray. This is why HD-DVD will probably win, because studios can put HD-DVD and regular DVD on the same disk.[/quote]

Umm why would they ever WANT to put High Definition and normal definition movies on the same disc? Thats like putting the VHS version of every movie on the dvd also. Why in the hell would you want an identical lower quality version of the same thing?

[quote name='Brian9824']Umm why would they ever WANT to put High Definition and normal definition movies on the same disc? Thats like putting the VHS version of every movie on the dvd also. Why in the hell would you want an identical lower quality version of the same thing?[/quote]

Few Reasons:
1) SHELFSPACE
2) Excuse to charge a higher premium artificially
3) People who have a regular DVD player now can upgrade to and HD-DVD player without having to upgrade thier collection. Therefore easing transition to HD-DVD standard.

[quote name='Brian9824']Umm why would they ever WANT to put High Definition and normal definition movies on the same disc? Thats like putting the VHS version of every movie on the dvd also. Why in the hell would you want an identical lower quality version of the same thing?[/QUOTE]
What CappyCobra said. Also it doesn't sound like you understood this, but these combo disks can be played in both regular DVD players and HD-DVD players, for wider compatibility.

Yeah, actually be able to have the SD and HD versions of a movie on the same disc is a pretty big deal. Obviously the same people are probably not going to be using both versions at the same time, but this way people can upgrade to HD and still keep their movie collections. How many HD-DVDs actually do this, though? Any at the moment? Does it reduce the quality? I would think you would be reducing the amount of space available for the HD version.

[quote name='icruise']How many HD-DVDs actually do this, though? Any at the moment? Does it reduce the quality? I would think you would be reducing the amount of space available for the HD version.[/QUOTE]
They use a dual sided DVD for this. One side has the DVD version and the other side has the HD DVD version. It is like the dual sided DVD/CD albums that have been popular the last couple years or the old style DVD with WS on one side and FF on the other side.

[quote name='icruise']Does it reduce the quality? I would think you would be reducing the amount of space available for the HD version.[/quote]
At first it did, because they could only get the double sided version to work witha single 15 GB HD DVD layer, but now the HD DVD side can be duel layer so quality isn't an issue.

I wasn't aware that HD DVD's could be played on a normal dvd player. Also even if thats the case dual layer discs are much more costly. Dual layer dvd's still aren't that cheap. It would be easier to just make HD DVD players that upscale to improve the graphics on the dvds.

[quote name='Brian9824']It would be easier to just make HD DVD players that upscale to improve the graphics on the dvds.[/quote]
Umm what?

Double-sided dual-layer DVDs are notoriously problematic, so I wonder how well that will work in practice. I suppose if the manufacturing methods are up to the task, it can work but I know of cases where movie studios have gone back and re-issued movies that were on double-sided dual-layer discs, splitting them up into 2 discs because they just didn't work very well.

[quote name='Brian9824']I wasn't aware that HD DVD's could be played on a normal dvd player. Also even if thats the case dual layer discs are much more costly. Dual layer dvd's still aren't that cheap. It would be easier to just make HD DVD players that upscale to improve the graphics on the dvds.[/quote]
Not all HD DVDs are DVD HD DVD double sided combo disks.
Currently the combos are in HD DVD packaging, which are really stupid. If the movie companies wanted the format to take off they would package them as DVDs and include an insert that describes the differences between SD and HD.

bread's done
Back