White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

[quote name='willardhaven']It depends on whether or not Sony overestimated demand.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they did. Out of all the best buys near me only 1 out of like 4 stores got 16 copies that's it. I only played for a couple of hours but the game is fun its nothing amazing but its still fun kinda has that old school rpg feel for me.

Ryan Clements isn't hiding his IGN colors at least. He's coming off exactly how I expected him to. His comments add fuel to the fire that his WKC review is a joke. The fact that this guy pulls a pay check while millions of people are unemployed sickens me.

As I said, I'll buy it after the deluge. It was my least anticipated game of the dozen or so I was interested in buying. I'm sure it's a good game, it's just not one worth $68 CAN.

I think Cheapy's blog post about how IGN's site looked without any ME2 ads was pretty telling.

My view on all reviewers is they can all suck my hairy ballsack and get some pubes stuck between their teeth. These motherfucking assholes all rated GTA4 AND Prince of Persia highly and they were without a doubt the WORST games I've played in the past 10 years.

If I like it imma play it. Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love.

[quote name='IRHari']I think Cheapy's blog post about how IGN's site looked without any ME2 ads was pretty telling.

My view on all reviewers is they can all suck my hairy ballsack and get some pubes stuck between their teeth. These motherfucking assholes all rated GTA4 AND Prince of Persia highly and they were without a doubt the WORST games I've played in the past 10 years.

If I like it imma play it. Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love.[/QUOTE]

I hear you on Prince of Persia. Every game site got wood for that one but it was so awful. I know taste is subjective, but I just can't see how anyone could like that game, much less score it as high as they did. It was easily one of the worst I've played this gen, and one of the most boring games I've ever played in my life.

I just ordered White Knight from Amazon. Should be here in a few days. :)

The one thing about the ign review that kind of scares me is the part about "the worst cliffhanger ending since..." I hate it when you dump tons of time into a game and then you're rewarded with a shitty ending. I'll make up my own mind though.

yeah if it really is just a BAD game i can still return it. i wound up getting gta4 & prince of persia for free though, for those wondering. so i've got some coasters at the very least.

sidenote: i hope everyones at least TRIED the dante's inferno demo and seen how stupid this game is. wait until that shit hits the bargain bin.
dunno about bioshock 2, but i loved 1 so i'm happy with more of the same.

~sigh~ so I'm guessing amazon is definitely gonna ship my wkc on the 8th T_T i was hoping they'd ship today so I could get it by Friday or Monday T_T guess I wasn't lucky this time!! booo!! sometimes I'm just too darn cheap >.<

and screw the reviews!! i tend to like the "unpopular" games anyways. Plus ff12 got lots of positive reviews and I deeply dislike that game!!!

Why are they shipping yours on the 8th? And how are you sure?
Orders should have gone out today. Mine says shipping soon but I'm confident I'll get the shipping notice before the day is over.

My order said the 8th too. I chose (as I always do) the free super saver shipping, so I think that has something to do with it.

Frequently, the item will ship prior to that estimated shipping date, though...

Ohhh, I always forget about non-prime. :(
(i may have an extra slot in a prime group if anyone i'm familiar with wants in)

Just got my shipping notice, due on the 5th.

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard']The one thing about the ign review that kind of scares me is the part about "the worst cliffhanger ending since..." I hate it when you dump tons of time into a game and then you're rewarded with a shitty ending. I'll make up my own mind though.[/QUOTE]

Of course there is some type of cliffhanger, they announced WKC2 last year. This shouldn't really be a surprise.

[quote name='dallow']Why are they shipping yours on the 8th? And how are you sure?
Orders should have gone out today. Mine says shipping soon but I'm confident I'll get the shipping notice before the day is over.[/QUOTE]

yeah i chose the free shipping T_T

worst thing is I technically qualify for the free prime trial but i've been holding back. i got it stuck in my head that it may come in handy way later T_T

i was hoping they'd ship today or yesterday since I've had two pre-orders with free shipping and they were shipped on or before release date. so by friday i got my orders. i guess cuz of the whole "shipping release date" and not acutal release date, it may have screwed my chances. oh well! more waiting T_T

[quote name='wildcpac']please post mini reviews later. I am not going to trust ign/gamespot.[/QUOTE]

Two hours in...

The bad:

- Voice acting is awful.
- Dialogue is pretty terrible.
- Graphics are a mixed bag... at times they are impressive (i.e. in the field), but in cinematics the game often looks like a high rez PS2 game.
- Combat is not nearly as fun as it would seem.

The good:

- Lots of customization for your character, but don't expect him/her to be an integral part of the plot.
- Has not given me cancer... yet.

Just a minor update. I had recently asked if I could play this game online with dial-up and I was able to connect to the GeoNet server and run around with no lag in a room with other people. Of course I have yet to try this out in actual combat yet.

I'm still at the beginning of the game (just had the first "boss" fight) but so far I like it.

Picked up mine at Best Buy. It wasn't on the usual shelf and had to ask for it. "Ah yes, lots of people have come in asking for that game." the guy said.[quote name='LordVila']Just a minor update. I had recently asked if I could play this game online with dial-up and I was able to connect to the GeoNet server and run around with no lag in a room with other people. Of course I have yet to try this out in actual combat yet.

I'm still at the beginning of the game (just had the first "boss" fight) but so far I like it.[/QUOTE]
Glad you can play! Do you have a mic/are able to use one?

[quote name='dallow']Picked up mine at Best Buy. It wasn't on the usual shelf and had to ask for it. "Ah yes, lots of people have come in asking for that game." the guy said.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that your BB is keeping up with the demands of their customers by keeping the games that are being requested off the store shelves. :p

I know, I was about to leave and go to the GS next door had the guy not come up to me and asked if he could help. :)
I put a couple on the shelf for them.

[quote name='dallow']Picked up mine at Best Buy. It wasn't on the usual shelf and had to ask for it. "Ah yes, lots of people have come in asking for that game." the guy said.
Glad you can play! Do you have a mic/are able to use one?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a mic right now but if I am able to actually fight online then I would be inclined to pick up a mic. I'm going to try and join one of the low level quests tonight and see how that goes.

Another update--I was just able to successfully do a quest online with 3 other people with no noticeable lag.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']Just a heads up the gametrailers review is up and they gave it a 7.6[/QUOTE]

Just watched it. Seemed like a very fair review.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']LOL ign gave it a 5.1.

Guys with the game, agree or disagree, im deciding whether to purchase or not. 5.1 REALLY sucks tho[/QUOTE]
IGN also gave God Hand a 3.0.

It's just a reviewer's tastes after all. The GT review was the most important for me and I will definitely be playing this but I have a lot of backlog to grind through first.

One review place that I actually take somewhat serious would be Gametrailer.com, their scores are very close to what I would give games, in this case they give it a 7.6, I would give it a 8.0

So I read that if I'm willing to restart the game I can re-customize my character without the $5 penalty. Is this true? If I botch up my first attempt I will gladly restart before sinking my teeth into the single player.

[quote name='cochesecochese']So I read that if I'm willing to restart the game I can re-customize my character without the $5 penalty. Is this true? If I botch up my first attempt I will gladly restart before sinking my teeth into the single player.[/QUOTE]
That's true for any RPG.

[quote name='cochesecochese']So I read that if I'm willing to restart the game I can re-customize my character without the $5 penalty. Is this true? If I botch up my first attempt I will gladly restart before sinking my teeth into the single player.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if you want to edit the appearance of your 'avatar', you need the dumb key, or have to start over a new file.

When was the last time you were on PSN, I have you on my list but I believe it said 5 months or so, maybe longer? :)

I stopped when you reach the first village. Man, really had to get used to the combat. It really is 'MMO-ish'.
Liking it so far. Quiet, and pleasant, and oh the COLOR!

[quote name='Poor2More']One review place that I actually take somewhat serious would be Gametrailer.com, their scores are very close to what I would give games, in this case they give it a 7.6, I would give it a 8.0[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point the only site I have ever trusted for reviews. :D

[quote name='drbutchevil']Found this on IGN's webpage, written by the same guy who reviewed the game: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1060139p1.html[/QUOTE]

Yikes. I guess he doesn't get the fact that for western players, the JRPG is a genre in itself. It doesn't need "saving" any more than the first person shooter needs "saving."

That being said, I was interested in WKC at first, but after these reviews trashing it I'm not so sure. Plus I thought it was a more active button-mashy combat system for some reason. The streaming gameplay I've seen looks like Final Fantasy XII, which I thought was utter trash all around, especially combat-wise. The multiplayer sounds kind of interesting, but why they make you play what is apparently a 30 hour borefest in order to "earn" the right to play it is beyond me.

I dunno. If the chance for this to go bargain bin in 90 days is decent enough, I might just grab a copy from Target and give it a spin. Worst case I can foist it off on someone on eBay (or here) when it's still in the "high demand because everyone's afraid to pay full price" range.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Found this on IGN's webpage, written by the same guy who reviewed the game: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1060139p1.html[/QUOTE]

yeah, can't take his review too seriously. don't trust ppl that want every rpg to be like a wrpg. Are wrpg good, yes. do i want every game to be like wrpg, hell NO!

I'm really getting sick and tired of every single jrpg hater or whatever saying that they think in order to fix jrpg, they need to be like western ones. No! There are other things to do to fix jrpg but making them exactly like the western ones will just create the same thing! Honestly how can they ask for something new in jrpgs when they're basically asking them to follow the same formula as western rpgs. Let ppl enjoy what they like. If you don't like it, fine go back playing what you like.

Yeah his 5.1 review is just worthless to me.

I'm probably one of the few that liked FFXII's combat style, since it's in the same vein i'll be picking it up. The online aspects seems to be the best part of the game which gametrailers touched on and IGN glossed over.

dallow, saw you playing it last night, i was going to shoot you a msg, but decided to leave you along with the game :lol:

my copy is ready to be shipped (amazon's FSSS suck balls). I don't really understand it, some games they ship a day early, some games they ship on release day. WKC is worse, it's actually ready to be shipped TODAY!

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, if you want to edit the appearance of your 'avatar', you need the dumb key, or have to start over a new file.

When was the last time you were on PSN, I have you on my list but I believe it said 5 months or so, maybe longer? :)

I stopped when you reach the first village. Man, really had to get used to the combat. It really is 'MMO-ish'.
Liking it so far. Quiet, and pleasant, and oh the COLOR![/QUOTE]
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, it's been a long time. I sold my phatty because all I was using it for was Noby Noby Boy. I ended up getting a Wii foolishly thinking we might see Reginleiv or DQX reasonably soon but I guess that isn't going to happen. As soon as I clear out my backlog I'll be picking up a slim, mic and WKC and you'll see me plenty.

Great game so far from what I've played.
Tried to do the first quest solo and got my ass handed to me by the boss.
The online mode reminds me a lot like Monster Hunter Portable.
Looking to do some multi-player questing, feel free to invite me, only lvl 12 or so tho.

Anyone else feel that the only thing missing from this game is one of the characters saying 'They keep popping up like crazy'?

I just wtched the gametrailers.com review and the guy spent the whole time saying negative things about it but then turned around and gave it a 7.6. This makes me think that through all the "flaws" that sites have been pointing out, it must still be real fun to get a score like that after that review.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, if you want to edit the appearance of your 'avatar', you need the dumb key, or have to start over a new file.

Liking it so far. Quiet, and pleasant, and oh the COLOR![/QUOTE]

You mean you didn't order WKC with the ECA discount and Prime?

My reaction:
spongescream.jpg

The game should (hopefully) be here tomorrow...hopefully along the same time my PS3 returns. I'd be interested in some questing type thing-a-ma-bobs.

[quote name='Nirron']You mean you didn't order WKC with the ECA discount and Prime?

My reaction:
spongescream.jpg

The game should (hopefully) be here tomorrow...hopefully along the same time my PS3 returns. I'd be interested in some questing type thing-a-ma-bobs.[/QUOTE]Oh I did! But I picked up a copy from BB yesterday to play early, I'll just return the Amazon copy to BB when it arrives. :cool:

Worth it!

and that's the end of ordering for me, WKC was the first title shipped in my 2010-2011 string of cheap new games ;)

[quote name='dallow']Oh I did! But I picked up a copy from BB yesterday to play early, I'll just return the Amazon copy to BB when it arrives. :cool:

Worth it!

and that's the end of ordering for me, WKC was the first title shipped in my 2010-2011 string of cheap new games ;)
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I found this out about a week ago or so, but you can actually add items to ECA orders, providing that at least one item has not shipped. To make sure I'm not going completely off topic, I found this out because I asked to have WKC added to an order where an item or two had already shipped, and it worked. In essence, we can still go nuts and keep our orders alive indefinitely. Viva discounts!

[quote name='Nirron']Actually, I found this out about a week ago or so, but you can actually add items to ECA orders, providing that at least one item has not shipped. To make sure I'm not going completely off topic, I found this out because I asked to have WKC added to an order where an item or two had already shipped, and it worked. In essence, we can still go nuts and keep our orders alive indefinitely. Viva discounts![/QUOTE]
Yeah, if only we could apply our $10 gaming credits and get release day delivery to work, then we'd be set for life!

[quote name='dallow']Oh I did! But I picked up a copy from BB yesterday to play early, I'll just return the Amazon copy to BB when it arrives. :cool:

Worth it!

[/QUOTE]

So, that was the trick... and i thought you really got it on day one!

[quote name='Nirron']Actually, I found this out about a week ago or so, but you can actually add items to ECA orders, providing that at least one item has not shipped. To make sure I'm not going completely off topic, I found this out because I asked to have WKC added to an order where an item or two had already shipped, and it worked. In essence, we can still go nuts and keep our orders alive indefinitely. Viva discounts![/QUOTE]Are you serious! :drool:

[quote name='Serpentor']So, that was the trick... and i thought you really got it on day one![/QUOTE]
Hehe, yeah, I do it all the time if I really want to start playing.

My Target was sold out. I've never seen them sold out of anything.

For a game that's getting utterly wrecked in reviews, it sure seems to be selling well.

bread's done
Back