Why Nintendo dumps Component/Digital AV out on GameCube?

Mospeada_21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
To some, this may be old news, but others may not be aware. This message is meant to create awareness, communicate to GameCube owners, and pass along a message to Nintendo.

First:
Component Cables are amazing! Your picture quality is pure, clean, and crisp! Details jump out at you, images appear in 3D, and colors are vibrant! Lines are solid, and textures are clear.

Now, compare that to Composite Cables (the ones included with the GameCube; the yellow video only (with red and white for right and left audio respectively). Switch back to composite, and the picture quality is blurry, appears out of focus, and difficult to look at. Composite cables create images with soft blended lines. Your gaming quality goes down when you play on Composite.

Do yourself a favor, get a Component Cable now!!! (i'm not here to sell you cables, but Nintendo and Lik-Sang are both backordered)

I bought my first Cube in [Nov]'02 (Metroid Prime), and got the Component Cables directly from Nintendo in May'03. I've been playing on Component Cables since, this product is awesome and pure gold! I now have two Cubes with around 150 GC games; and looking for my second Component Cable (item is backordered).

To fully realize the hardware and software capabilities of games played on GC, get a Component Cable now. (And if your budget allows, go high definition and widescreen!) Trust me, you'll never want to go back to gaming any other way!!!

Second:
Nintendo stops the manufacturing of GameCubes with both Digital and Analog (DOL-001) output in May'04, and now only manufactures GameCubes with Analog output (DOL-101). Big N's Reason: only 1% of owners use the digital output. Read: Cutting costs, maintain margins to stay competitive; understandable in the business world. BUT, For consumers: Lower quality product, same price.

Yes, there's an alternative, to swap it out with Big N directly and get a re-manufactured version. So now, that means if you want a GameCube with both digital and analog AV out, you must go out and buy a NEW GC, SHIP it in, and get a[n] OLD/USED GC with the original functions. :shock:

This is a huge step backwards. The LCD flatpanel TV market is exploding in '05, and Nintendo is sticking it straight to [the] consumers.

Final:
Many of us grew up with Nintendo, and still love gaming on Big N's platforms. This means we are also power consumers with lots of disposable income. You know your target audience, I'm in it, and I'm telling you, you are wrong. Do not betray your audience, pushed enough, we will switch.

It's too bad Nintendo could care less about your letter.

While I agree that component video is completely bad ass, a very very very small share of the market actually takes advantage of it. What would Nintendo's incentive to be to keep something around if it cost them extra money, but less than 1% of the market was using it? As a "power consumer", you still represent a very miniscle part of the market in Nintendo's eyes.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It's too bad Nintendo could care less about your letter.

While I agree that component video is completely bad ass, a very very very small share of the market actually takes advantage of it. What would Nintendo's incentive to be to keep something around if it cost them extra money, but less than 1% of the market was using it? As a "power consumer", you still represent a very miniscle part of the market in Nintendo's eyes.[/quote]

spoken like a true executive on Nintendo's payroll, eh? I'm aware there's Nintendo insiders on this board. (no need to name)

Your statement has contradictions I'm not even going to bother pointing out. And you're missing the point.

You 'wanna kick my ass and take my name?' I'm registered on Big N's board (same as here), come find me.

I have always used the standard composite cables, but I recently got component cables for my Xbox and the picture looks amazing.

I would love to see what my GC games would look like, especially since most first party games use such vibrant colors.

[quote name='Mospeada_21'][quote name='mtxbass1']It's too bad Nintendo could care less about your letter.

While I agree that component video is completely bad ass, a very very very small share of the market actually takes advantage of it. What would Nintendo's incentive to be to keep something around if it cost them extra money, but less than 1% of the market was using it? As a "power consumer", you still represent a very miniscle part of the market in Nintendo's eyes.[/quote]

spoken like a true executive on Nintendo's payroll, eh? I'm aware there's Nintendo insiders on this board. (no need to name)

Your statement has contradictions I'm not even going to bother pointing out. And you're missing the point.

You 'wanna kick my ass and take my name?' I'm registered on Big N's board (same as here), come find me.[/quote]

:roll: As an owner of every Nintendo console, let alone everything Sega and MS have put out, I'm hardly on Nintendo's payroll. I am pointing out a simple fact to you. Nintendo is in business to make money. If they see that a certain feature is not being used but by a small percentage of the market, then what is the incentive to keep said feature if it ends up costing them more money? With everything the way it is nowadays, companies have to trim the fat as much as possible if they want to stay afloat.

Nintendo prides itself on being "innovative", but won't support newer technologies. They don't like progressive scan, they don't like online gaming, they don't even like the DVD format. They even clung to cartridges on the N64 when they were severely outdated, they would have otherwise dominated the PS1 technologically.

Nintendo makes good games, and designs their hardware very well, but they won't use new technologies until they are dragged kicking and screaming by the rest of the market. I'm almost surprised that they aren't still making playing cards with this attitude.

The amount of people with access to component cables is much greater than 1%, plus its a market that anyone would love to have, early adopters with lots of disposable income. I have a box that'll convert component into VGA, so the Gamecube not supporting it would eliminate any possibility that I'd buy it. Online play is another big thing that I like that they don't have. Strike 2. But the real reason that I won't buy a Gamecube, is because I already have a great deal of great games on the 2 systems I already own, that I haven't played yet, so I simply don't have the time or the money to support a 3rd system and its better games. I do appriciate the pricepoint though.

I own a GBA though, and I have plenty of games for that.

[quote name='mtxbass1']

:roll: As an owner of every Nintendo console, let alone everything Sega and MS have put out, I'm hardly on Nintendo's payroll. I am pointing out a simple fact to you. Nintendo is in business to make money. If they see that a certain feature is not being used but by a small percentage of the market, then what is the incentive to keep said feature if it ends up costing them more money? With everything the way it is nowadays, companies have to trim the fat as much as possible if they want to stay afloat.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying, and I already know that. No need to talk down to people. I'm actually helping Big N with feedback as well here. I'm in the market for possibly another 6 GCs, and multiple copies of Big N's games. (that's another story) I'm simply informing other consumers of their choices, and telling Big N that is NOT the way to make 1 of their small installed base users happy.

I also purchased for/supplied my brothers with their PS2, and GBA, and majority library of games. I vote with my pocket, and my voice.

Um... we will say it once more - NO ONE USED IT! The cost is way too high for the cables. No one purchased them.

It simply added cost to the GC that was not necessary.

S-video does the job with me on my PS2 and GC. The Xbox is on the HDTV set - I have component cables for that system.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Um... we will say it once more - NO ONE USED IT! The cost is way too high for the cables. No one purchased them.

S-video does the job with me on my PS2 and GC. The Xbox is on the HDTV set - I have component cables for that system.[/quote]
Its easy for Nintendo to say that no one used it, when the cables were never really available. You pretty much have to import them if you want them at all, and at rediculous prices.

The feature never took off because they never supported it in the first place.

same thing as with the Dreamcast BB adapter...so freakin hard to find. I know the exact reasons are different, but it was something that i could have used then, but didnt have the option due to short supply

I've also compared the Gamecube with each of the cables: composite, S-video, and Component. The GC games looks great with the component output on a HDTV set. Definitely worth it if you play GC games on a HDTV . . . and sooo many CG games are in progressive scan. The Pikmin games in particular look so bright and clear.

I was able to order the cables along with free shipping on something else from Nintendo so I saved $5 . . . but the component cables are pretty expensive at $30.

Just get a S-Video cable and let it die already. Nintendo knows what there doing, there the only one that makes the blasted cable so I'm pretty sure they know how many they sell or don't sell, they wouldn't just pull it off there inventory list just for kicks, there has to be some reason behind and no body knows the reason for it, we can all guess but we don't work for Nintendo. Progressive Scan games aren't really that important in this generation of consoles, next generation when HDTV will probably become very mainstream as more TV channels support it, then it would be stupid to take out progressive scan on games but as it sits now I don't see the big deal.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='soulwish2003']Um... we will say it once more - NO ONE USED IT! The cost is way too high for the cables. No one purchased them.

S-video does the job with me on my PS2 and GC. The Xbox is on the HDTV set - I have component cables for that system.[/quote]
Its easy for Nintendo to say that no one used it, when the cables were never really available. You pretty much have to import them if you want them at all, and at rediculous prices.

The feature never took off because they never supported it in the first place.[/quote]

Very true, if the cable had actually been offered at retail locations I'm sure the number of users would have jumped significantly. I wanted one for years but never felt the drive to order one from Nintendo's site.

with that said....I got one used for 5.99 at Gamestop last month and it rocks :lol:

The funny thing is Nintendo supported this for a few years! They figured most hard core Nintendo gamers already bought the one that supported it. They are just cutting some costs now mainly because hardly anyone used it to begin with. Those that really want it probably bought the Cube at lauch.

This is a pointless rant, mainly because Nintendo will trade your unit for one that has the component/DV out if you call them.

[quote name='dwsscs']The funny thing is Nintendo supported this for a few years! They figured most hard core Nintendo gamers already bought the one that supported it. They are just cutting some costs now mainly because hardly anyone used it to begin with. Those that really want it probably bought the Cube at lauch.

This is a pointless rant, mainly because Nintendo will trade your unit for one that has the component/DV out if you call them.[/quote]
They sold the cable at a reasonable price through major retail outlets? I must have lived in a cave for those years.

[quote name='sisco1986']Just get a S-Video cable and let it die already. Nintendo knows what there doing, there the only one that makes the blasted cable so I'm pretty sure they know how many they sell or don't sell, they wouldn't just pull it off there inventory list just for kicks, there has to be some reason behind and no body knows the reason for it, we can all guess but we don't work for Nintendo. Progressive Scan games aren't really that important in this generation of consoles, next generation when HDTV will probably become very mainstream as more TV channels support it, then it would be stupid to take out progressive scan on games but as it sits now I don't see the big deal. [/quote]
Yeah, because the silly customer doesn't know what they want, Nintendo should tell them what they want. Because if they wanted our opinion, they'd give it to us.

People that dropped a couple grand on their HDTV will probably want a system that best supports their shiny new toy. Right now, thats Xbox. But with PS2, you can at least use the component cables and get improved picture quality. All the Cube does by not supporting the high end stuff, is continue to look less and less like home electronics, and more like a child's toy. Its not true, but thats the image they've created for themselves.

Big screen projection HDTV's have been sub-1k for some time now. You can get smaller HDTV's for under $500, some under $300. Its becoming more mainstream every day. Nintendo doesn't like to jump on the technological bandwagon until its firmly established and mainstream, which is a lost opportunity for them. Xbox is making online and HD mainstream. What position will Nintendo be in when both are already mainstream, and they either have not, or have just begun to support them?

Yea, I had to settle for S-Vid cables... When I switch between my PS2 and GC the difference is very noticable. Component looks much better then even S-Video. :whistle2:(

Thank you dafoomie, and also to those who have tried the component/digital option and posted their experiences.

Others: This is a forum for discussion, but some 'select' few want to shut us up. why?

[quote name='dafoomie']
Yeah, because the silly customer doesn't know what they want, Nintendo should tell them what they want. Because if they wanted our opinion, they'd give it to us.

Xbox is making online and HD mainstream. What position will Nintendo be in when both are already mainstream, and they either have not, or have just begun to support them?[/quote]

well said dafoomie. Nintendo has classic myopia.

It was sad when Atari left, then Sega. However, I will continue to enjoy my classic GameCube by that time, but if Big N walks a similar path, I will not shed a tear. WE will move on to the next bigger and better 'video' game offered to the public. At least 'these' companies will know what we want. :wink:

And.....Nintendo? Guess you can call it a 'those' companies by then.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Thank you dafoomie, and also to those who have tried the component/digital option and posted their experiences.

Others: This is a forum for discussion, but some 'select' few want to shut us up. why?[/quote]

No one wants to shut you up! Its a free country feel free to express your opinion just like I was.

On another note:

The component cables (3rd party universal) have been around for a while in retail outlets. Regardless I am sure Nintendo's price though not reasonable was on par with other specialty home theater cables. Have you ever bought high end cables to hook up all your gadgets? Its not uncommon to drop $25-50 on a cable.

If there was a market for this stuff, damn skippy Nintendo would of been out there pimpin these high end cables.

By the way, I have the cable and it makes the Cube look great. Worth the $$ in my opinion!

Release date for Game Cube:

November 18, 2001 you had over 3 years to get the system with the component hookups.

Release date for Monster Cable component hookup:

August 12, 2002 priced at $39.99

Release date for Nintendo's hookup:

November 26, 2001 about a week after the release of the Game Cube

This stuff has been around, there is no excuse for not getting it if you really wanted it.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='Mospeada_21']Thank you dafoomie, and also to those who have tried the component/digital option and posted their experiences.

Others: This is a forum for discussion, but some 'select' few want to shut us up. why?[/quote]

No one wants to shut you up! Its a free country feel free to express your opinion just like I was.

On another note:

The component cables (3rd party universal) have been around for a while in retail outlets. Regardless I am sure Nintendo's price though not reasonable was on par with other specialty home theater cables. Have you ever bought high end cables to hook up all your gadgets? Its not uncommon to drop $25-50 on a cable.

If there was a market for this stuff, damn skippy Nintendo would of been out there pimpin these high end cables.[/quote]
Xbox's High Def pack is $20 new, $10 used, including cables and the box. Those are pretty good stuff.

A real complaint why didn't Nintendo release the Cube with Dolby Digital outputs for audio. Instead of the analog RCA ones.

[quote name='dwsscs']
Release date for Game Cube:

November 18, 2001 you had over 3 years to get the system with the component hookups.

Release date for Monster Cable component hookup:

August 12, 2002 priced at $39.99

Release date for Nintendo's hookup:

November 26, 2001 about a week after the release of the Game Cube

This stuff has been around, there is no excuse for not getting it if you really wanted it.[/quote]

your assumptions dumbfound me. you're assuming I'm a new entrant; a late adapter? why? do you know me? cause you don't, so don't pretend to. (that's not the point here anyway. people continue to buy products as they please, 'who are you' to judge?)

and posting dates we all have at our disposal is.....[M21 restrains himself from shouting an insult]

you, dwsscs, have myopia like Nintendo...... :roll:

That is a good point... I have no idea why they never sold them 'retail' @ $15 a pair.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='soulwish2003']Um... we will say it once more - NO ONE USED IT! The cost is way too high for the cables. No one purchased them.

The feature never took off because they never supported it in the first place.[/quote]

All I am saying is most people who want this feature had plenty of time to buy these items. What part about that do you not understand?

About the myopia thing, if I was selling a product and hardly anyone used a feature on it. I would take that feature away to cut my costs and increase my bottom line. Also passing the savings on to the customer (ie - Mario Kart Bundle).

Nintendo is also offering this option to the new generation of customers for free if they want the version with it. Its just a phone call.

You would have a great argument if Nintendo never made this option available.

[quote name='soulwish2003']That is a good point... I have no idea why they never sold them 'retail' @ $15 a pair.

The feature never took off because they never supported it in the first place.[/quote][/quote]

It was supported these cables were available. They were/are $30 at the website, and 3rd party ones were all over the stores.

[quote name='dwsscs']Have you ever bought high end cables to hook up all your gadgets? Its not uncommon to drop $25-50 on a cable.

If there was a market for this stuff, damn skippy Nintendo would of been out there pimpin these high end cables.[/quote]

yes, DVI, some/most of us have heard of it...... :roll:

[M21 now places an * by dwsscs's posts]

[quote name='Mospeada_21'][quote name='dwsscs']Have you ever bought high end cables to hook up all your gadgets? Its not uncommon to drop $25-50 on a cable.

yes, DVI, some/most of us have heard of it...... :roll:[/quote]

I wasn't just talking about DVI. I was talking about high end cables in general - Gold plated, etc. --- Svideo, optical, DVI, 75 ohm, RCA, speaker wire, etc.

If Nintendo had made component cables more readily available and less expensive, consumer demand would likely have been much greater, and we'd probably still be seeing component video support in new GCN systems. Unfortunately, Nintendo chose to go the exclusive route by making the official cable only available through their web site at a retail price of $40 plus shipping. Lame/10

[quote name='sisco1986']What's the reason behind not having 3rd party support for Component Cables?[/quote]

There was 3rd party support for them! Most notably was Monster Cable!

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='sisco1986']What's the reason behind not having 3rd party support for Component Cables?[/quote]

There was 3rd party support for them! Most notably was Monster Cable![/quote]

was. Monster doesn't make them anymore. Obviously the reason would be because they phased out the digital out, but theres 3+ years of cubes with digital out.

[quote name='sisco1986'][quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='sisco1986']What's the reason behind not having 3rd party support for Component Cables?[/quote]

was. Monster doesn't make them anymore. Obviously the reason would be because they phased out the digital out, but theres 3+ years of cubes with digital out.[/quote]

Exactly 3+ years of support, and you can still buy other 3rd party DVI cables for the system now. Most 3rd party companies have started making them universal (PS2, Xbox, and GC all in one). Which makes it even more cost effective! If you want to take the time to unhook it from one system to the other.

Not to be a prick, sisco & dwsscs, but could you give a linky or something for these monstrer gamecube "component" cables? I've never seen them in a retail outlet, from Nintendo or otherwise and I'm not finding them from a lengthy google search.

I've traveled in many states in the union including Arrizona, ohio, tennessee, illinois, indiana, florida, massechusettes, and New York and I've never run accross "component" cables sitting on a shelf somewhere. In fact, a search of monstercable.com doesn't even produce said cables. None are even for sale on Ebay, which you'd think would be a repository for this product used, but there aren't any. This leads me to believe that they never existed except maybe in someone's imagination.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It's too bad Nintendo could care less about your letter.

not necessarily. Nintendo has always been on top of other consoles in the innovative department. While people with component tv's may be a small fraction of the market, more and more televisions are coming standard with component ins. this year has also seen the first retail component selector hitting the shelves. If a section of a market is growing, you can bet that nintendo is aware of it.

Nintendo has always kept many years in teh future with their planning of products. (I heard one of the reasons the GC disc is so small, other than obvious copyright protection reasons, is so that it will lend itself well to a portable system that is planned way down the road.) Last I heard, nintendo consistently plans about 15 years into the future with their product development.

I agree that the component resolution is great. Even games that don't have HD resolution will look infinitely better with a component cable hook up. I have all my systems at my place hooked up through component, and its grrreat.

now if only more games had a widescreen option........ :(

I bought a set of the Xbox MS ones ($15 with GGC :D ) and a set of the good Monster ones ($40 at GS at the time). I looked at the results very carefully esp. with Ninja Gaiden. There was a small but noticible upgrade in the Monster ones. I was hoping to go with the cheaper ones but stayed with the Monster ones.

I have the Sony made component cables . . . got them for $17 on sale 2 years ago. Never thought to try the Monster ones . . . the PS2 just doesn't measure up graphically.

The Nintendo ones that I got off their website are actually very good somewhere between Monster and MS and Sony's standard ones. Definitely worth the $30 . . . very thick shielded central cable.

[quote name='dwsscs']Closest Game Cube Monster Cable found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41040&item=8164542527&rd=1[/quote]

That isn't a component cable. I have that exact cable and it's s-video and L/R stereo. The digital output outlet on the old gamecubes didn't output audio, only video, so any cable advertising audio is using the standard A/V outlet.

Component cables for the Gamecube are used in tandem with the standard cable to deliver audio.

Keep looking, please.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='sisco1986'][quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='sisco1986']What's the reason behind not having 3rd party support for Component Cables?[/quote]

was. Monster doesn't make them anymore. Obviously the reason would be because they phased out the digital out, but theres 3+ years of cubes with digital out.[/quote]

Exactly 3+ years of support, and you can still buy other 3rd party DVI cables for the system now. Most 3rd party companies have started making them universal (PS2, Xbox, and GC all in one). Which makes it even more cost effective! If you want to take the time to unhook it from one system to the other.[/quote]

I'd be very interested in a link for those 3 in 1 component cables, if the price is right I may buy a set for the future when I have a good TV.

I know its not the one you are talking about, I said closest one on ebay. I can go to Target, Walmart, etc., right now and buy a universal (all the systems) DVI cable.

A side note this cable at Target is $6.98 on clearance.

[quote name='dwsscs']I know its not the one you are talking about, I said closest one on ebay. I can go to Target, Walmart, etc., right now and buy a universal (all the systems) DVI cable.

A side note this cable at Target is $6.98 on clearance.[/quote]
If the closest one you can find is a composite (standard) cable, then you're making our point for us.

[quote name='dwsscs']I know its not the one you are talking about, I said closest one on ebay. I can go to Target, Walmart, etc., right now and buy a universal (all the systems) DVI cable.

A side note this cable at Target is $6.98 on clearance.[/quote]

I'd like to see a DVI cable too.

Something tells me you are misunderstanding the difference between :

s-video
COMPONENT
composite
DVI (digital and analog)

They are all different, btw.

Still not good enough to prove a point. Component cables for Xbox and PS2 are plentiful, and always have been. Gamecube, however, is another story. In this day and age, there ought to be some proof around one of these internets to show a genuine 3d party component cable for the Gamecube.

When you give up looking, you can apoligize to everyone because your argument falls apart when you can't produce the proof.

I am going to concede on this one because maybe the one I am talking about may be discontinued now, but they are still in B&M stores. But I passed on these because I already owned one. Maybe Nintendo dropping this from the console changed current 3rd party cables. 3 years is still plenty of time to get the cable if you wanted it, even if you had to break down and buy it from Nintendo.

bread's done
Back