WII & DS @ GameStop-$50 Credit for GC Trade-In on Wii and $50 Trade-In GBA on DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxybeles

CAGiversary!
Weekly Ad Specials - Jan. 21-28
Looking to part with some old hardware or perhaps add to your GameBoy collection? Starting this Sunday, January 21, these great offers will begin at your local GameStop:

* Earn a $50 credit towards the purchase of a new Wii system when you trade-in your old GameCube
* Earn $50 towards a new or used Nintendo DS when you trade-in your GBA SP.
* Receive 10% Off when you buy 2 or more Used GameCube, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Color or GameBoy games. Use coupon code: NINFSI for online purchases. Contact your local GameStop for in-store availability.

These offers expire January 28. Trade-In offers are only valid in stores. Check out the Weekly Ad for additional specials.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/current/012107/GS_01-21_Page2.asp

Good thing I called stores first... None of the 11 Gamestop/EB stores near me have the DS Lite in stock, half say not to expect any until February ("Yeah, this trade-in deal is useless, man."), none are willing to give me credit (which is their right but considering the situation it's a lousy policy), and the Newhall store (24919 Pico Canyon) has a lousy smart-aleck clerk who seems to think he's living in a Kevin Smith movie ("NO! NO RAINCHECKS! LEARN TO READ.").

ok so about these deals that gamestop/eb are putting out every week... last week was the PS3 and this week is the WII so hopefully next week will be 360 or one of the last gen consoles.

I've been told by certain stores that they have not had any DS units in stock and will not receive any this week. I can understand "while supplies last" but what if they've never had the supplies at all? Is that considered a bait-and-switch or can they weasel out of this through interpretations of the "subject to manager approval" and "subject to availability" clauses?

The 'no rain checks' clause in the ad is not enough to get around Minnesota consumer protection laws, but then again, when does gamestop care about obeying the law?

Having no rainchecks is inexcusable. I do not know how Gamestop operates but my perception is that the store owner I dealt with did not really feel like giving up $50 for a GBA SP even though corporate has this promotion going on.

[quote name='maxxborist']the gamestop near me said they would take sp for wii just to make people happy.[/QUOTE]

A GameStop that aims to please, huh? Nice to hear those still exist.

[quote name='rapsodist']Good thing I called stores first... None of the 11 Gamestop/EB stores near me have the DS Lite in stock, half say not to expect any until February ("Yeah, this trade-in deal is useless, man."), none are willing to give me credit (which is their right but considering the situation it's a lousy policy), and the Newhall store (24919 Pico Canyon) has a lousy smart-aleck clerk who seems to think he's living in a Kevin Smith movie ("NO! NO RAINCHECKS! LEARN TO READ.").[/QUOTE]

Post the phone number, I would be happy to call and ask the same question just to annoy the wannbe clerk

Yes, please do.

Do you remember his name? I think we should all call the store once, request him specfically, and then ask about the deal. Just to annoy the fuck out of him.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the employee's name at all. But if you want to try your luck, the Newhall EB store's number is (661) 254-3790. Towards the end of my call I did give him some stern advice about how to speak courteously to customers, so let's see if that made any difference. (I doubt it.)

[quote name='rapsodist']Unfortunately, I don't remember the employee's name at all. But if you want to try your luck, the Newhall EB store's number is (661) 254-3790. Towards the end of my call I did give him some stern advice about how to speak courteously to customers, so let's see if that made any difference. (I doubt it.)[/quote]

I'll call in the morning. ;)

I was unaware of this controversy and drove blissfully over to an EB with a GBA SP and Gamecube in tow.

The clerk tells me that he has no Wii's or DS's in stock, which I saw as no obstruction to anything considering the ad says that it's for credit towards the system. I mean, they seem to understand this just fine when you trade in a game toward Madden 2008 as part of a promotion in April. He points to "subject to availablity," which made no sense to me in this context. Are they out of store credit? Since I'm the one trading a product in for credit, the limiting factor in terms of merchandise would seem to be whether or not I have a Gamecube or SP, and I believed I was very much in stock within a one mile radius of his zip code.

Realizing the absurdity of this restriction, I reply, "So this deal is basically only for those who are willing to wait in a line, last Sunday, for a couple of hours, with a system or two to keep them company."

And he says, "No, it's not just for line-waiters. The Wii is a hot item. You have to expect you'll have to wait in a line to get one."

Understanding the property of transitivity, I say, "So ... that would make it for line-waiters, then." He then tries telling me how I can call every day to see if they have one in stock, because they never know when a shipment is coming in ahead of time. But he was just talking to the last customer about how everyone was expecting the shipment on Sunday, hence, like, the line. I said that and he brushed it off as due to having the consoles on Friday and not being able to sell them until Sunday, as if the buzz on the Net was nonexistent and all EB/GS shipments are a total fucking surprise, it's like Christmas when they got a box there, and "word on the street" went out Friday evening after the employees finished screaming like boys who just got their Nintendo 64.

If he had said, "I can't complete the deal per corporate, it sucks, I'm sorry," then fine. It happens. But why is there a retarded sales clerk who either lies or agrees with what I've said, but still insists on disagreeing from the principle of the moral superiority of the cash register jockey, or whatever, on top of the nonsensical "deal"? It would be less frustrating to interact with a computer behind the desk that flashes "NO CAN DO" or "WOULD YOU LIKE A WARRANTY FOR YOUR STYLUS" or "HOLD ON WHILE I GET YOUR NEW GAME FROM AN ENVELOPE IN MY ASS" at me.

I went to EB about a half hour before they closed and they traded in my gamecube for a used DS. I printed out the "weekly ad coupon" from gamestop.com and the guy looked it over and accepted. My advice is to go at night when it's slow and they should let you do it. The manager on duty wants to get more daily trade in units and then if you buy a used system that increases the stores daily used sales.

I just called my local EB (which is running the same sale obviously since the merged) and they have 6 DSs in stock. Too bad I'm stuck at work and school till 8 tonight but at least they're getting more of them throughout the week.

I suggest everyone just call every morning, I was originally told at the same place they wouldn't get any all week yet today they have 6. Now I just hope they ahven't all been sold by 8 or 9 tonight. =/

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I tried to trade my SP towards a DS today and found out there was no serial number on my SP, so they wouldn't accept it. I wonder why my SP didn't have a serial number.[/quote]

I have the same problem. I haven't tried bringing it into EB/GS, but I was turned down a few weeks ago at GameCrazy. The serial numbers on GBA SP's seem to wear off quite easily.

I got dicked over by Gamespot on this, but its better than what I'm seeing in this thread.

I was calling around yesterday from work, and a Gamestop said that they expected Wiis the next day, but I could come in, trade in my Gamecube, and then they'd hold a Wii for me. I confirmed this a few times, because other gamestops, and even employees from that same store had told me no rainchecks.

So I go in, he checks out the gamecube, and says its okay. He makes a list of Wiis to hold, gives me a $50 gamestop/games store credit/gift card, and has me sign the list with name and number. Cool, I think and head back to work.

This morning they call and tell me that they expect Wiis today, and that I should "get on over" there and wait. I explained I had it on hold. They said no, that's what they thought too, but corporate said no. He said I had to get over there and wait on line like everyone else. I asked when he expected it, he said they expected it in 20-30 minutes (it was 9am) but it could be as late as 11. I said, "You know, some people actually have jobs" which he shrugged off. I called every half hour checking, but eventually he said he had more people on line than consoles coming in, so he told me the equivalent of piss off.

So, they screwed me over with this "hold" crap, but I still have the $50 store credit card for my gamecube. I'll have to get it at a later date, but I still have $50 for my GC. I won't be buying from that particular store, though.

At the very least you've got the credit so it's just a matter of time for you. Good luck with the Wii search.

As for me, I got lucky this morning. I did my usual calls to the 11 stores around me, and the first 10 on the list said they were still out of stock on DS Lites. The 10th store made my situation sound particularly hopeless so I was disheartened enough to just stop there. But then I noticed that I only had one number left to call so I gave it a shot. Imagine my surprise when I heard, "Yes, we have 4 left in stock." Of course, they stuck to their no-hold policy even though I explained that I'd be there in about 20 minutes. With L.A. traffic, it turned out to be 35 minutes, but I managed to get there just in time to grab the last DS Lite they had. Plus it was black which is exactly what I wanted!

I say we call SHENANIGANS and get Officer Bob Brady to beat GS with a big wooden board of some kind. With spikes on it or something.

This "deal" is completely BS cause they are never getting any DS's in time for you to actually benefit!!!! I called around with no luck, for several days now, and I'm pretty pissed off! How can they advertise something they never actually have in stock???? Isn't that what defines ILLEGAL advertising??? Why not say they're selling DS's for $1??? It's not like it'll be in stock for them to honor that!!!

I heard about the raincheck idea, so I'll give it a shot... but I doubt any GS will do that for me since they tend to be run by soul-less corporate guppies more interested in getting you drunk to rob you than helping you out with a good deal they're advertising. Lame.

This whole "deal" is a giant dangling carrot of a headache. :bomb: SHENANIGANS!:bomb:

the EBGames store in Emerybay Mall at Emeryville, CA just got a shipment this morning, so I grabbed one and was able to use the deal. I think they had maybe four left when I left the store. This employee was a lot nicer than the other stores I called around.

[quote name='iceblast21']I say we call SHENANIGANS and get Officer Bob Brady to beat GS with a big wooden board of some kind. With spikes on it or something.

This "deal" is completely BS cause they are never getting any DS's in time for you to actually benefit!!!! I called around with no luck, for several days now, and I'm pretty pissed off! How can they advertise something they never actually have in stock???? Isn't that what defines ILLEGAL advertising??? Why not say they're selling DS's for $1??? It's not like it'll be in stock for them to honor that!!!

I heard about the raincheck idea, so I'll give it a shot... but I doubt any GS will do that for me since they tend to be run by soul-less corporate guppies more interested in getting you drunk to rob you than helping you out with a good deal they're advertising. Lame.

This whole "deal" is a giant dangling carrot of a headache. :bomb: SHENANIGANS!:bomb:[/quote]

:imwithst: Not five minutes after I post this, I find another thread on CAG that said GS just got a shipment in!!!! I called one store, only pinks, but the second store had ye fabled black DS I have been waiting for!!! WOO!!!!!

Major credit to CAG :grouphug: and all its members for making this sweet deal possible (I got the system free with credits, plus I also traded in Tales of Symphonia for $8.40 thanks to their 20% extra deal they seem to have going on... an awesome buy-back price!). \\:D/

I still wish to blacklist GS, but seeing as how they'll soon be the ONLY resell game shop, we must make room for the devil in our respective beds. Meh.:-({|=

Woo... I literally ran when I found out they were in stock again.... whew....:puke:

[quote name='iceblast21']:imwithst: Not five minutes after I post this, I find another thread on CAG that said GS just got a shipment in!!!! I called one store, only pinks, but the second store had ye fabled black DS I have been waiting for!!! WOO!!!!!

Major credit to CAG :grouphug: and all its members for making this sweet deal possible (I got the system free with credits, plus I also traded in Tales of Symphonia for $8.40 thanks to their 20% extra deal they seem to have going on... an awesome buy-back price!). \\:D/

I still wish to blacklist GS, but seeing as how they'll soon be the ONLY resell game shop, we must make room for the devil in our respective beds. Meh.:-({|=

Woo... I literally ran when I found out they were in stock again.... whew....:puke:[/quote]

You're welcome! and congrats! :applause:
Day before yesterday, I started a DS search for my nephew.
Spoke to a GS manager who volunteered to allow me an early $50 SP trade on my card anticipating DSs to arrive.
Yesterday I went in to take him up on the offer. He called his District Manager who allowed him to force a $50 trade-in amount Vs the normal $22. Today, I called at UPS time (noonish) for this store ... wallah! one pink and one black left. They held it till I could arrive (about 20 min.) and now my nephew has his black DS.
I came home and made the naughty post (it was removed about 15 min. later) .... I was afraid to just post in this thread as time was critical....glad I could offer some helpful info (finally!) to a fellow CAGer. IF your local store did not receive any today, I would place a Big wager it will be tomorrow or Friday at the very latest....just find out what time UPS normally drops shipments.... Good luck and good evening to all! :bouncy:

[quote name='donut']You're welcome! and congrats! :applause:
Day before yesterday, I started a DS search for my nephew.
Spoke to a GS manager who volunteered to allow me an early $50 SP trade on my card anticipating DSs to arrive.
Yesterday I went in to take him up on the offer. He called his District Manager who allowed him to force a $50 trade-in amount Vs the normal $22. Today, I called at UPS time (noonish) for this store ... wallah! one pink and one black left. They held it till I could arrive (about 20 min.) and now my nephew has his black DS.
I came home and made the naughty post (it was removed about 15 min. later) .... I was afraid to just post in this thread as time was critical....glad I could offer some helpful info (finally!) to a fellow CAGer. IF your local store did not receive any today, I would place a Big wager it will be tomorrow or Friday at the very latest....just find out what time UPS normally drops shipments.... Good luck and good evening to all! :bouncy:[/quote]

congrats!
I saw your post in the Video Games deal section, so it was moved from wherever you first posted it

Well I scored a ds and I was able to use my edge card and was able to trade in my gba sp. No problem at all this was in ventura,ca. It helps to call before you head out.

Got a Black DS lite, but they wouldn't combine it with any other offers.

I had an edge card and they wouldn't give me the 10% extra trade in, and I also had a 10% coupon which I couldn't use either. They said you couldn't combine the $50 SP trade in with any other offers.

Oh well my Black DS lite looks fantastic I'm afraid to touch it, talk about a fingerprint magnet!

And in case anyone is wondering EB was giving $40 for a DS phat trade in.

[quote name='dino3333']so does anyone know if i can trade in 2 gba sps and get $100?[/quote]
I tried to do this, but they said it would be one SP at 50 and the other at regular trade in value. They did say that you could use two SPs to buy two DS by having two separate transactions.

Wow, I was busy with meetings all day at work, so I didn't have time to read CAG... lucky I went shopping and for some reason decided to drop into a GS and asked if they had the DS lite... didn't hole my breath since I've pretty much gaven up looking after wasting sunday and monday calling around... I was so happy when they told me they have new DS lite! Of course I didn't have my GBA SP with me, but decided to buy it now and trade in the SP later... it worked out fine, I went home to grab my SP and returned the DS to my local GS so I can get the trade in.

All in all a happy day. I finally have a DS lite!

Some noob questions... so the touch screen doesnt come with screen protector? and the package doesnt even come with a sock unlike the GBmicro? Bastards!!

Whats the cheapest highest grade screen protector I should get?

Darn, I should have grab more of those FFIII carry case from TRU... any CAG out there with a couple of extra want to trade me? I'm planning to eventually buy two more DS lites for my family.

Oh, THANK YOU OP!!! This CAG would still be waiting for a price drop on the DS if it wasnt for your effort! :bouncy:

^^^ Screen protectors are completely unnecessary IMO as long as you use only the stylus that comes with the system. I've had 4 DS's that I've used for varying lengths of time, and not a one has had a scratch on the touch screen, including the one used extensively by my 6 year-old.

Thanks for the info! While I like to keep my games/systems mint, my CAG instints wants to not have to spend any of my gaming $$$ on plastic protectors. :)

[quote name='io']^^^ Screen protectors are completely unnecessary IMO as long as you use only the stylus that comes with the system. I've had 4 DS's that I've used for varying lengths of time, and not a one has had a scratch on the touch screen, including the one used extensively by my 6 year-old.[/quote]

[quote name='mahzilla']I tried to do this, but they said it would be one SP at 50 and the other at regular trade in value. They did say that you could use two SPs to buy two DS by having two separate transactions.[/quote]

Damn i should've done that with the 2 sp's. too late now i just paid cash for em for me and my friend. oh well.

i was calling my two local ebgames and gamestop all week to see if they had ds lites. all week the answer was no until last night. so after work and dinner, i drove to gamestop and traded in my sp for a ds lite. my patience has paid off.

o yeah, and for the record, it was a japanese gba sp and i traded it in wit no problems. this is in central jersey.

Got a DS from Fenton, MO Gamestop last night. Only choice was pink though but I bit the bullet for a 1/2 price (almost) new DS Lite. Target got a larger shipment in, but they were all pinks also.

[quote name='io']^^^ Screen protectors are completely unnecessary IMO as long as you use only the stylus that comes with the system. I've had 4 DS's that I've used for varying lengths of time, and not a one has had a scratch on the touch screen, including the one used extensively by my 6 year-old.[/QUOTE]

True, usually scratches come from using 3rd party stylus' but even with the official one I could see slight scuffing on the screen with normal/light use on my last DS and other friends.

On the outside of the DS case its a completely different matter...its almost as if the casing attracts scratches and scuffs ala its ipod finish style gloss.
[quote name='Asgardian']
Whats the cheapest highest grade screen protector I should get?[/QUOTE]
I HIGHLY recommend the Best Skins Ever screen/case covers. They are nearly invisible to the eye and you would likely need a very sharp knife to scratch one. 3M developed the material to coat helicopter blades and prevent debris from damaging them. Completely clear, adds no bulk, almost indestructible...they are simply awesome. I have one for my PSP, ipod, DS lite, and cell phone.

Was like $6 each to cover the PSP, ipod, and cell phone. $11 for the body cover and dual screens of the DS. All of the electronics still look like they just came out of the box!

[quote name='darkRAZOR']source: http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/EB_trade_in_values

While it's sad enough that they give you only $50 in this deal for the good ol cube... it's even sadder that without the deal, they'll only give you $25.

Even though I wouldn't really need my cube after getting a Wii... it's hard to give it up for that little. Especially when I know I could easily sell it to someone for $50 myself... and then there's that $40 off coupon from CC.
Considering that a new Cube retails for $99.99 (and might experience more price drops as stores try to clear their shelves), and shipping a system is very expensive, you won't make that much more on Ebay, and you may make less, as demand for a GC is at an all time low right now.

[quote name='iceblast21']It's for either of the DS's I think, but your problem will be finding a DS in stock at GS! I was just there today, and the deal would've gone through, but no DS's! They might have more Sunday (the official start of the promotion), so we'll see...

Since most of the stores are already sold out of DS's, and since Nintendo isn't making the fatties anymore, then I'd say this deal is pretty much exclusive to the DS Lites, wouldn't you?[/QUOTE]

I've got a funny feeling that Jan. 29th, there will be no shortage of DS's. Pretty amazing that the Wii is still so hard to find, as my BB has had several 60GB PS3's on the floor for a while now, and not one has been sold yet.

[quote name='x_fiddle']True, usually scratches come from using 3rd party stylus' but even with the official one I could see slight scuffing on the screen with normal/light use on my last DS and other friends.

On the outside of the DS case its a completely different matter...its almost as if the casing attracts scratches and scuffs ala its ipod finish style gloss.

I HIGHLY recommend the Best Skins Ever screen/case covers. They are nearly invisible to the eye and you would likely need a very sharp knife to scratch one. 3M developed the material to coat helicopter blades and prevent debris from damaging them. Completely clear, adds no bulk, almost indestructible...they are simply awesome. I have one for my PSP, ipod, DS lite, and cell phone.

Was like $6 each to cover the PSP, ipod, and cell phone. $11 for the body cover and dual screens of the DS. All of the electronics still look like they just came out of the box![/quote]

Where may or should I buy this from?

[quote name='rebenns']Considering that a new Cube retails for $99.99 (and might experience more price drops as stores try to clear their shelves), and shipping a system is very expensive, you won't make that much more on Ebay, and you may make less, as demand for a GC is at an all time low right now.[/quote]

Kinda OT, but can someone tell me if the Wii will play *all* (or most?) GC games right now?

I've never had a GC but since becoming a CAG I have build up a sizeable GC collection, I know I will most likely buy a Wii within the next two years (when the price drops) but the cube is cheap enough nowadays that I might break and get that in the mean time. However, if the Wii will be bc with all GC games, then I'll save the $60 (used GC) and just get a Wii earlier...

Oh... one of the game I really want to try is Odama, would that work on the Wii? I know it has a mic that clicks onto the GC controller, can you use a GC controller on the Wii?

Yes, the Nintendo Wii will play all GC games.

Yes, it'll work. The Wii has four controller ports, and two slots for memory cards. Don't sell your memory cards with your Gamecube, as you can't save onto the internal memory when playing a Gamecube game.

See:

WiiGCpaikat.jpg

How is this really a deal if your GC is fairly new? No freaking way i'm gonna part with my GC for $50 store credit, eat dirt GS/EB!

I got my Wii for $162-ish including tax, thanks for CAG threads and 3 months wii-lessness. That doesn't count the $150 credit from Sony :) Saving that for the PS3.

[quote name='donut']Where may or should I buy this from?[/quote]

err got me interested too, where can i buy it? I don't think googling the name will help much, too generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back