Wii graphics not that bad

I personally care how many units a platform I own sells, because that sways more third parties to it, which means more variety, and potentially more games for me.

Caring about games = Caring about the platform.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']If you care about games, you better care about how well the company behind the platform is doing.

If the platform dies you wont be having fun on it at all.[/quote]

I don't know, a lot of people seem to have a lot of fun with Dreamcast.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I personally care how many units a platform I own sells, because that sways more third parties to it, which means more variety, and potentially more games for me.

Caring about games = Caring about the platform.[/QUOTE]

Why don't we take it a step further? We should donate $$$ to Nintendo so they have more free capital to woo third-parties.

Honestly, the only "care" the companies look for is the money you put into their system and games.

Fun games = $$$ for companies = Care!

I can see your point, but number of consoles sold is a much more important metric for wooing 3rd party support than amount of profit made from each console sold.

Red Steel looks good enough for me. It's got a nice style, nice effects and seems to play smoothly. I'm just hoping the controls turn out good. That's more important to me. AFter all that's the biggest reason why I'm going to pick up a Wii this fall.

[quote name='Greetard']That one word alone speaks volumes.

Zelda: TP did not look worse. Mario Galaxy did not look worse. Metroid, Excite Truck, and Wii Sports did not look worse. Bomberman did not look worse. Project Hammer and Disaster did not look worse. Red Steel might have not looked that great, but it most certainly was not worse.

You didn't state a fact at all. You gave your extremely biased opinion. You say that you think graphics don't mean everything, yet they are the foundation of the "outdated hardware" argument. You contradicted yourself within two sentances. Congratulations.[/QUOTE]

Excite Truck looks like an N64 game when its in motion, I will admit though that not many look worse, but that doesnt mean many look better (if any at all)...

And you still dont get the point. The point is, if the Wii is already outdated hardware wise, then Nintendo, in no way, should sell it for full price. $199 would definatley be pushing it for a system like that. I'd rather go buy an Xbox with equal graphical power instead of the Wii if Nintendo prices it anything remotley about $200. At $200 it should come with the Wii controller, and whatever controller/add on you would need to play a game like Super Smash Bros Brawl (aka a game that doesnt use motion sensing).

Sorry though that I'm not as excited for the Wii as you. Nintendo will have to earn my support. Last gen the PS2 had my support due to the exclusive games, before that I was with the N64, and before that the Genesis. As of right now though, Nintendo screwed me over last gen with releasing very few good exclusive games for the console, any game on Xbox I wanted I could go to my PC or PS2 for, Sony just won me over last time. For now I am still undecided on which I will go for. True, I plan to get a PS3 at launch, but whether I keep it or ebay it is still in question, it depends on how I feel about spending that much money, and it will also depend on games out for it. 360 has slowly been interesting me, but the Wii, while interesting is just more of the same to me, even with the new controller.

you're still working by the rules of the old system, which nintendo is trying to change. The controller is new, even if only in applying existing technology. If you dont accept that, then its not for you (it doesnt seem like its for you anyway though).

They try to price their stuff fair. Just because someone else is subsidizing cutting edge technology doesnt mean its out dated

If the controller doesnt excite you, there is no reason you should get one, ever, no matter the cost. If for some reason you get excited about the controller, then you can get one.

[quote name='evanft']Well, whoknows' rampant fanboyism and idiocy put him on my ignore list. Good show![/QUOTE]

QFT

Okay first of all Excite Truck does not look like an N64 game, I was at E3, I didn't play the game, but I stood there and watched it. It looks like a very smooth post-GameCube game. Everything looks like a step up for a GC game. Red Steel didn't look great, but from what I played of it it seemed fun. Obviously it needed some work, but then again they've got months to work on it.

You can say what you want about games needing to be a step up in graphics, but how big does that step have to be? Case in point the DS over the GBA, in no way does it make me think that it's such a step forward in games that I was a fool to have lived with the GBA for so long. Guess what? It's kicking the ass of the PSP from here to Tokyo, and why? Because the games are better. Eventually you'll understand that "it's not about looks, it's about personality" if they make great quality games that get even more casual gamers into the fray they've succeeded. The PS3 at $500-600 will not have the success the PS2 did because number one the price point is too high and number two the casual gamer doesn't spend that kind of money to play a game a few times a month. The 360 will sell a lot more systems to the casual gamer based on price point alone. The Wii will expand the market, or at least that's the hope, right? I can tell you this, having been at E3, more people were talking positively about the Wii than were talking about the PS3. I saw Gran Turismo HD did it look great? Yes. Did it look like I the type of game I wanted to play, right away? Not so much, they're using the same tracks from the last 4 games, but they're adding newer cars, motorcycles and better detail. At some point people are going to decide that the same game with better visuals is not what they're after. You will see that people want to have fun when they game, and I guarantee you this. If you have a girlfriend, and she sees some sort of Karaoke, virtual pet, or other type of oddball game she's going to want to play that and not KillZone 38 Special HD Deluxe Online edition.

Last point, the pointer demo was so accurate it was scary, FPS games if made solely for this system will be, if not as good as PC versions, better. You just don't know how pinpoint accurate Metroid Prime 3 was. I can see every single light gun arcade game from the past decade being brought over to the Wii because it's the perfect platform because you won't need to buy light guns you'll already have them. You can't see it because you're blinded by the likes of magazines like EGM which proclaimed the PSP to be the greatest system ever, and that it would lead to the death of the DS. Besides, Nintendo claims to still have tricks up their sleeves, and I think you'll see soon enough that it will be more than capable of competing with the likes of Sony and Microsoft. By the way no matter what price point they come at ($200-300) the system will sell because parents will be very reluctant to spend $400-600 on little Timmy when Christmas time comes around for "another video game system".

Nintendo's playing it so smart by not pushing the hardware envelope because they'll be in everyone's house whereas all the other systems might make it to one out of every two or three homes.

[quote name='whoknows']Excite Truck looks like an N64 game when its in motion, I will admit though that not many look worse, but that doesnt mean many look better (if any at all)...

And you still dont get the point. The point is, if the Wii is already outdated hardware wise, then Nintendo, in no way, should sell it for full price. $199 would definatley be pushing it for a system like that. I'd rather go buy an Xbox with equal graphical power instead of the Wii if Nintendo prices it anything remotley about $200. At $200 it should come with the Wii controller, and whatever controller/add on you would need to play a game like Super Smash Bros Brawl (aka a game that doesnt use motion sensing).

Sorry though that I'm not as excited for the Wii as you. Nintendo will have to earn my support. Last gen the PS2 had my support due to the exclusive games, before that I was with the N64, and before that the Genesis. As of right now though, Nintendo screwed me over last gen with releasing very few good exclusive games for the console, any game on Xbox I wanted I could go to my PC or PS2 for, Sony just won me over last time. For now I am still undecided on which I will go for. True, I plan to get a PS3 at launch, but whether I keep it or ebay it is still in question, it depends on how I feel about spending that much money, and it will also depend on games out for it. 360 has slowly been interesting me, but the Wii, while interesting is just more of the same to me, even with the new controller.[/QUOTE]

See, if the hardware actually was outdated, I'd completely agree with you. But guess what, Ace? It's not...for the upteenth fuckin' time.

What you saw at E3 (as stated over and over again on this site) were a few Gamecubes with Wiimotes attached. They were nowhere near the final product- just devkits. You have absolutely no idea of what the final graphics will look like, and, just to take away some of your cannon fodder, niether do I. I do know, however, that the graphics can't do anything but get better. It seems as if you think that HD is synonymous with next gen- when that is clearly not the case.

But, as I've already said (twice), the graphics are not what's drawing people to the console- it's the remote's technology. This seems to be the major point that you're missing. In no way, shape, or form is the Wiimote outdated. It's the first of its kind to combine LED and accelerometer devices, and Nintendo just entered an agreement to acquire brand new motion sensing technology. This will allow for even better functionality of the controller that we couldn't possibly fathom. People are buying the thing for the experience, not the look.

I mean, honestly- you'll shell out 600 bones for a ps2 with prettier pictures over $200 for a system that allows you to physically take part in a game?

Pfft. You're not exactly the one to give out financial advice, are ya' buddy?

[quote name='Redeema'] If you have a girlfriend, and she sees some sort of Karaoke, virtual pet, or other type of oddball game she's going to want to play that and not KillZone 38 Special HD Deluxe Online edition.
[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty stereotypical comment. My girlfriend likes playing Halo and Soul Calibur 2 and keeps trying to pull me into those blasted MMORPGs she dabbles in.

You cite Gran Turismo HD as being derivative of previous versions, which I understand completely, but then you bring up potential light gun games ports for the Wii as a crowd pleaser. Aren't light gun games the epitome of derivative gameplay? You're pointing your controller at the screen...and shooting things.

I think Nintendo will find their niche and be pretty successful, but not because of motion-sensing nunchucks (why doesn't anyone remember the Virtual Boy?), but because of their A-list first-party games and an almost loyal to a fault fanbase.

I'm not being stereotypical, my point is that they're trying to go beyond those that consider themselves gamers now. They want to reach out to everybody, man, woman or child. You took it the wrong way.

Also, my point for bringing shooting games to the system is not because they're original, the point is to bring as many GOOD games to the system as possible. If you're not a fan of shooters (I'm not either) then that's just not your bag, but someone has to like them otherwise we wouldn't have so damn many of them right? The point is that there could be a lot of support for the system because so many games are out there that previousl y couldn't make it onto a console for fear that the audience was too niche to buy a new type of controller. Final Furlong is a good example. Samba De Amigo would be perfect. Boxing with two Wii remotes. The support could be there if they want to make the effort. If they port House of the Dead 3 or whatever version never made it to a console, they could see that there is an audience for i and therefore bring their next game over rather than skipping it like they did with the GameCube. In the end you want choices right? Even if they're not exactly for you.

lastly, everyone remembers the Virtual Boy how could we not, you won't let us forget it. This is not the same thing. I played Super Mario Galaxy. It played perfectly. A million times better than Super Mario Sunshine. Control was spot on and I barely had any camera issues. It was more like playing Super Mario 64, but where everything is 1000 times better.

I don't really care much about the graphics considering I lack an HDTV and the GameCube did a good enough job for me, hell as long as its a slight improvement I'm happy.

My first reaction to some of the Wii graphics were a lil meh...but then I started thinking.

This was a very similar reaction I had when I saw the 360 revealed on MTV. Obviously the games have time to improve in the graphics department.

And if the graphics don't get as good as the 360/ps3...so what??

You're still getting a system priced right, with games that actually DO SOMETHING NEW in gaming.

I look at the Wii as a DS and PS3 as a PSP. And who is winning that battle? I know the handheld world is not like the console world, but you could compare a lot between the machines.

Anywho, I really feel like Nintendo is trying to pull in people who never played games before. For example the girlfriend who would normally not touch something like Ghost recon, but would love to give Wii Sports a go. I also feel like the 360 will fill the bill for the casuals out there who only want to play Madden/GTAIV/Halo Etc..

PS3...well I see that selling to big Sony fans and people who need the latest and greatest technology. Someone like my brother, who doesn't like games to much, but just got a 4,000.00 TV and wants a "cheap" Blu Ray player.

Metroid Prime 3 is a definite step up from any Gamecube game. Watch the high-res footage of the demo on IGN. It looks pretty bad in the Wii demo video, but the in-game footage is actually pretty nice.

[quote name='sfriedlander']i was looking at pics of red steel and the graphics look pretty good!!![/QUOTE]

Coming from the same guy who insulted me because I got rid of PD0 over the controls. Weezy bitch.

Yeah the graphics look good for a GAMECUBE game. No one is praising the Wii's graphics. We want a revolution in terms of gameplay, not a 360 in terms of graphics which is obviously what you desire. Don't try to defend the graphics as "pretty good", or else I might think your "pretty shallow".

Of course they're "not that bad". They're at least on par with the gamecube, if not better. Why would they be bad? I don't get this disbelief:
"Man, I saw the Wii, and some of the games looked pretty good!" Well, yeah. Like all of a sudden Gamecube+ graphics are terrible? Compared to the 360/Ps3 they're not as good, but they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Does your girlfriend get more ugly because you saw some hottie at the mall? Or is it that, by comparison, she's not as attractive(but you'll still rim-job her later on and be totally satisfied)?

[quote name='evanft']Gameplay>>>>>>Graphics

This thread==Pointless[/quote]

Yeah, but I also like looking at pretty things, so I don't even compare the two.

I've said since the beginning that as long as games can put out graphics along the lines of RE4 on a more consistant basis, I'm more than happy. After seeing Galaxy and Smash Bros, I stand by it.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Yeah, but I also like looking at pretty things, so I don't even compare the two.[/QUOTE]

Then look at pictures of naked ladies.

bread's done
Back