"Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late."

Ya its too expensive...I was thinking to get a Wii instead of a PS2 since its 100 more, but then I had to figure the cost of an extra controller, memory card, vc controller, and the more expensive price of games, so I Went ps2. Actually in Canada you can get 2 games & The xbox 360 for basically the exact same as if you'd get a Wii and 2 games...

And 50$ is more psychological too...it's a free Zelda TP game bundled in with the system. Had they done THAT For the price they'd sell a crap load of systems.

I also think it's a bit expensive.. but good for me.. since I'll push off buying it until the price drop..CAT style.... still has too many backlogs to (try) to do anyway :)

PS3 and XBOX360 for sure.. when they hit below $200 ;)

1st side: "Blabhablhalhbh it's not expensive blahblhabhlb you cheapasses blhablhabh"

2nd side: "Blabhalbhbalh it's expensive blahblahbl 360 ps3 blahblahbahlb"

both sides...... MISSING THE fuckING POINT.

[quote name='Zoglog']1st side: "Blabhablhalhbh it's not expensive blahblhabhlb you cheapasses blhablhabh"

2nd side: "Blabhalbhbalh it's expensive blahblahbl 360 ps3 blahblahbahlb"

both sides...... MISSING THE fuckING POINT.[/QUOTE]

instead of showing the whole article you quote the negative part, not like there was a positive conclusion or anything. Very Fox News of you.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Some of the games do have N64 graphics. Have you seen Wii Sports?[/quote]

Have you looked at an N64 lately? No they don't.

[quote name='gizmogc']Some of you people are wayto friggin cheap. Its $50, $50 freaking dollars. In 1 hours time you can move crap from GameRush/K-mart over and make that amount.

No DVD...who gives a shit. If you don't have a DVD player by now you really shouldn't even considering buying a next-gen consoles, nor evem a current gen.

The same people bitch in every thread. The same people who apparently have great high paying jobs bitch about $50 making or breaking the purchase of the system. In reality, I couldn;t give a shit because it just means more out there for the people who actually want to enjoy the Wii and not expect it to make me a sandwhich and give me a backrub. Thats what mywife is for![/quote]

People here are bitching about $50 on this yet TONS of people went out and spent that same $50 on 50 Cent's Bulletproof, $40 on Odama, $30 on generic crap game just to have it. Give me a break on $50 making or breaking a deal.

How could we be "MISSING THE POINT" if the topic being discussed is "Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late" ???

[quote name='Spades22']How could we be "MISSING THE POINT" if the topic being discussed is "Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late" ???[/quote]I think he's referring to the impact of the price and release date on the mainstream audience. Which we can't really discuss in anything more than theory since none of us are in the mainstream audience.

[quote name='guessed']
I have pretty much made my peace with the price. [/QUOTE]

Same here. I understand what they are doing, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll accept it, but I'm still a bit disappointed.

The $60 controllers and no component out of the box are still big issues for me.

[quote name='jputahraptor']$250 system
$180 3 controllers
$50 game
$30 memory card
$25.50 5% tax

$535.50

Just taking prices from what other people on this page said, so excuse me if something is wrong. Even without the extra controllers your still looking at over 350 for one game and a memory card, doesn't sound nearly as nice, throw in some downloads and it would be easy to match what someone buying a core PS3 and a game would cost for what exactly, few controllers and slightly better graphics than a GC but without ps3's next gen bells and whistles.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, this is a BS argument. "If you buy the Wii, as many controllers as you can use, an unnecessary memory card, and a game (ignoring the one *included* with the system), it costs almost as much as a PS3 with one game, one controller, and no extra memory card! Almost."

If people must do these comparisons, it would be nice if they would do it without bias.

A far as the controller price bitching, I've got news for you. The PS3 accessory list was leaked and the Sixaxis controller is going to sell for roughly $43 in Japan.

Since the Wiimote is only $32 in Japan, and is $40 in the US, I would bet that the PS3's Sixaxis will go for $50 MSRP.

$50 for a glorified Sidewider Freestyle Pro. With the Wiimote, you are getting Bluetooth, rumble, sound, on-board memory, accelerometers, etc. I think $40 is a pretty fair price.

I don't know anyone that is going to buy 3 extra controllers on launch, that is just nuts. So assuming most people get a second Wiimote and Nunchuck, you are spending a total of $360 (system, plus game, plus extra remotes).

So let's look at the same setup for other systems (system, new game, controller, and online access if applicable)

360 core: $450 (system, controller, new game, 12 month Xbox 360 Live)
360 premium: $550 (system, controller, new game, 12 month Xbox 360 Live)
PS3 20 GB: $610 (system, controller, new game)
PS3 60 GB: $710 (system, controller, new game)

Double standard. You know people are looking for something to complain about when you hear - doesnt include two controllers.

News Update! Neither does the PS3, or Xbox360. I mean the cube didnt include 2 controllers, and it was advertised as a multiplayer family console. After adjusting for inflation, the controllers arent THAT expensive, expecially considering it is new technology.

[quote name='Zoglog']
He's just merely stating that given the objective of the Wii, it is $50 too high and 3 months too late. You people are comparing it the high cost of the 360 and the PS3 but that's not what he's talking about. The goal is to get people who would never consider buying a console to pick one up, and ultimately cost is a big deal for the casual gamer.[/QUOTE]

The second point is completely false. November is a good if not the perfect time to launch a new product. In Nintendo's case its perfect because they should sell more of their first batch than Sony did and possibly have more units available in time for Black Friday. Launching in August* would have done nothing to help Nintendo position its console and tipped its hand to Sony early and probably left Nintendo without a suitable lineup of games at launch.

*Parent post said 3 months even though the topic is 3 weeks. 3 weeks sooner doesnt matter at all for the casual gamer and only servers to annoy the hardcore. Either Nintendo has enough units to meet the pre-Christmas demand or they wont, launching 3 weeks sooner wouldnt allow them to manufacture any more units.

The first point is also likely to be wrong as well, in this day and age where people pickup $250 iPods without a second thought $250 dollars isnt going to stop a significant portion of the population from picking it up as a pseudo impulse buy when compared to the 360 or PS3 if they are in the market for a game system this Christmas. No parent is going to look at the controller costs when buying the base bundle. Hell, on Black Friday people do all sorts of stupid things like max out their credit cards on sheer whim.

[quote name='Zoglog']The Wii is has great potential to be a social console but there is no doubt that u'll have to pay a good amount for it at the price points given now. And considering the hardware costs, Nintendo is definetly passing more of the cost onto users as the other 2 consoles. So from a technical standpoint the Wii is not as good a "deal" as the other 2. But ultimately that's not all gaming is about.[/QUOTE]

This paragraph once again jumps to the logical fallicy that since Sony and Microsoft are subsidizing some of the cost of the hardware, that their consoles are a better deal. Not only is it "not all" gaming is about, its nothing of the sort. Either you enjoy the games (or like its double function as a DVD player) offered on the system or you do not and those perceptions shape the value of a console. The PS2 isnt any sort of a deal in terms of hardware costs and at no point during its lifecycle was it a deal. The deal on the PS2 always came from the sheer number of good games available for the system and early on the DVD player was a big selling point too.

[quote name='furyk']I still see Zelda as a much better title then Call of Duty 2 or whatever ends up being the best PS3 title.[/QUOTE]

I still see Zelda TTP as a GC game that I can play without having to put down $250 on the purchase of a Wii to play. You can bash 360/PS3 Launch titles, but when you really look at it Wii has nothing spectacular that blows their launch titles away.

Miyamoto On the Wii: "The Hardware Is Basically A GC."
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/shiggy/miyamoto-on-the-wii-the-hardware-is-basically-a-gc-205086.php

Nintendo is SOOOO innovative :roll:

[quote name='horrido']
I mean the cube didnt include 2 controllers, and it was advertised as a multiplayer family console.[/QUOTE]

The cube didn't come with a multiplayer game in the box.

[quote name='maigoyume']thats what they said about the ds touch screen :)[/QUOTE]
imo it is...it is a great system but very few games that I have/own fully utilize the systems capabilities.

*Shrugs*

At this point my friends and I are just going the less-expensive route. One of them will assuredly buy a Wii, especially if the next Smash comes out relatively soon. He'll have the full controller while the rest of us will just get our own Wiimotes so we can play along when the time comes.

It ends up costing us friends much less since we won't have to grab a Wii at its inception and can keep that extra money on the side, accumulating, for a future purchase if we're so inclined. It also means that the Wii-buyer really only worries about the system and which games to get (which will probably be two at launch).

Not the best method of saving money but, sometimes, you have to evaluate how much you really want/need something at the getgo. I'd love to have a Wii with all four full controllers sitting by my side for impromptu parties but...

[quote name='hufferstl']If the $50 is killing you, wait a year. The price will be $200 and it won't come with Wii sports.

My prediction.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree. I think a "core" package will come out after the holidays in the US. Nintendo knows that they will sell out the $250 package through the holidays. To keep sales moving, they'll drop the price to $200, removing Wii Sports, in the Summer of '07, similar to what they did with the DS.

[quote name='lebowsky']I would have to agree. I think a "core" package will come out after the holidays in the US. Nintendo knows that they will sell out the $250 package through the holidays. To keep sales moving, they'll drop the price to $200, removing Wii Sports, in the Summer of '07, similar to what they did with the DS.[/QUOTE]

Actually they started to bundle a game with the DS. The DS never had a universal price drop.

[quote name='furyk']Actually they started to bundle a game with the DS. The DS never had a universal price drop.[/QUOTE]

Actually it did receive a universal drop. From $149.99 to $129.99.

From Wikipedia:

"The Nintendo DS is currently seen by many analysts to be in the same market as Sony's PlayStation Portable, although representatives from both companies have stated that each system targets a different audience. At the time of its release in the United States, the Nintendo DS retailed for $149.99 USD. The price dropped to $129.99 USD on August 21, 2005, one day before the anticipated North American releases of Nintendogs and Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Despite the system's lower technical specifications and cheaper price, the DS has consistently outsold the PSP, especially in Japan. [5]"

The Wii will drop to $200 shortly after the 360 has a price drop, I would imagine. And I doubt they'd unbundle Wii Sports at that point, seeing as how I don't see them selling that separately at all.

[quote name='botticus']The Wii will drop to $200 shortly after the 360 has a price drop, I would imagine. And I doubt they'd unbundle Wii Sports at that point, seeing as how I don't see them selling that separately at all.[/quote]I'd have to agree with botticus here, do you have any idea how many people would complain if it WASN'T bundled with the Wii, of course there will always be those who have something to complain about regardless

[quote name='lebowsky']Actually it did receive a universal drop. From $149.99 to $129.99.

From Wikipedia:

"The Nintendo DS is currently seen by many analysts to be in the same market as Sony's PlayStation Portable, although representatives from both companies have stated that each system targets a different audience. At the time of its release in the United States, the Nintendo DS retailed for $149.99 USD. The price dropped to $129.99 USD on August 21, 2005, one day before the anticipated North American releases of Nintendogs and Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Despite the system's lower technical specifications and cheaper price, the DS has consistently outsold the PSP, especially in Japan. [5]"[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. I completely ignored the DS until the Electric Blue came out bundled with a game.

Would it really kill anyone to wait and see how it sells?

Shit.

How many times are we going to have this goddamn speculation fest happen arond here?

'Cuz I could go for at least 83 more times.

Matt just writes crap like this to get readership up at IGN.

It was like when they had that 360 roundtable blasting Microsoft and their problems. Then when Moore shows up at their door, they get on their knees.

Matt may be shooting his mouth off about Nintendo right now, but once they hand out his system in November...he'll change his tune.

[quote name='terribledeli']Matt just writes crap like this to get readership up at IGN.

It was like when they had that 360 roundtable blasting Microsoft and their problems. Then when Moore shows up at their door, they get on their knees.

Matt may be shooting his mouth off about Nintendo right now, but once they hand out his system in November...he'll change his tune.[/QUOTE]

He certainly seemed to fawn over the Wii when he was showing it off for IGN Video.

Journalism is certainly an impressive combination of trolling and ass kissing.

[quote name='lebowsky']I would have to agree. I think a "core" package will come out after the holidays in the US. Nintendo knows that they will sell out the $250 package through the holidays. To keep sales moving, they'll drop the price to $200, removing Wii Sports, in the Summer of '07, similar to what they did with the DS.[/quote]

Aren't they supposed to have 4 million of them by jan 1st? I don't think they will sell them out this holiday. The first 2 or so shipments maybe, but they are saying they will have drop shipments weekly.

[quote name='Strell']Would it really kill anyone to wait and see how it sells?

Shit.

How many times are we going to have this goddamn speculation fest happen arond here?

'Cuz I could go for at least 83 more times.[/QUOTE]

how about a 1000 more times. shit like this will never end.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']instead of showing the whole article you quote the negative part, not like there was a positive conclusion or anything. Very Fox News of you.[/QUOTE]

yeah because I hid the direct link amirite? idiot -_-

[quote name='Strell']Would it really kill anyone to wait and see how it sells?

Shit.

'Cuz I could go for at least 83 more times.[/QUOTE]

Come on you know it's fun and for the most part in good taste. It adds to the excitement and anticipation of the new consoles. Plus it's a chance to blast Matt over at IGN because he sucks :)

[quote name='camoor']Your gf is $50 too expensive and three weeks late.[/QUOTE]
LMFAO

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think he's three weeks too late to make much of a point.[/QUOTE]
Yes he is.

And he's terrible at providing information to readers. He really is. The most interesting thing about his message isn't his opinion. I really couldn't give a shit what he thinks about the Wii launch, especially seeing as how he's been going on about it for a year and a day with juvenile little teases.

The most interesting thing is that he communicated his opinion directly to execs at Nintendo. As I reader, I (and I'm sure others) immediately thought, "I wonder what they said? How did they justify that price and time to him in light of his argument? This could be hot stuff." And he gives me nothing. He has an opportunity to give us the official defense on things we've all wondered about the launch, and instead he gives nothing.

Now I realize his points to follow, where he hypothesizes why Nintendo chose the price they did and time frame they did, probably paraphrase what Nintendo execs told him in reaction to his question. But I don't give a shit about him protecting Nintendo, and I don't like that he continually thinks of his buddies at Nintendo before thinking of the people who read his stuff (backward priorities for a writer/journalist, btw). He needs to act like a journalist and quote people where appropriate rather than play these grab-ass conjecture games that he likes to do.

[quote name='dothog']Yes he is.

And he's terrible at providing information to readers. He really is. The most interesting thing about his message isn't his opinion. I really couldn't give a shit what he thinks about the Wii launch, especially seeing as how he's been going on about it for a year and a day with juvenile little teases.

The most interesting thing is that he communicated his opinion directly to execs at Nintendo. As I reader, I (and I'm sure others) immediately thought, "I wonder what they said? How did they justify that price and time to him in light of his argument? This could be hot stuff." And he gives me nothing. He has an opportunity to give us the official defense on things we've all wondered about the launch, and instead he gives nothing.

Now I realize his points to follow, where he hypothesizes why Nintendo chose the price they did and time frame they did, probably paraphrase what Nintendo execs told him in reaction to his question. But I don't give a shit about him protecting Nintendo, and I don't like that he continually thinks of his buddies at Nintendo before thinking of the people who read his stuff (backward priorities for a writer/journalist, btw). He needs to act like a journalist and quote people where appropriate rather than play these grab-ass conjecture games that he likes to do.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, The people that get the exclusives and first looks are the sites with mass amounts of readers and who will bend to the will of the companies that will provide the exclusive. IMO for the most part true gaming journalism is dead.

it's a blog, not a news report. I think it's you that has your mindset shifted in the wrong direction -_-.........

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Agreed, The people that get the exclusives and first looks are the sites with mass amounts of readers and who will bend to the will of the companies that will provide the exclusive. IMO for the most part true gaming journalism is dead.[/QUOTE]

My boy, whenever was that particular horse ever alive?

Wow.... so many people getting so upset and overexcited over one man's opinion. Geez :whistle2:?

Really, the launch date/price point was clever as far as I'm concerned. If you look at it from a business standpoint. All these little kids who want a ps3 for $600, that you can't even find in a store, 1 week before the Christmas shopping season starts, are going to have a fat chance of getting one.

Thier parents are going to go into a given store, see a Wii for $350 cheaper and sure as shit buy it. Just to, in their hope, make their little bastards happy.

ps3 will sell out in about 20 minutes on launch day. Then a bunch of douchebags are going to sell the damn thing for $2k on Ebay. Wii is going to have so many sales due to the fact no one will be able to get a ps3 and they want something, anything.

I was on the ps3 bandwagon until I saw the price. I make a $$ at work and I still won't buy one on principal. The only way I'd do it at launch is if I sold my soul to find two ps3's and ebayed one of them to pay for the two I just bought.

And in the end it's all about fun, and Wii looks like it will be fun as hell.

Also, it's more powerful than the xbox as far as I understand. The xbox being the most powerful console from the previous generation. So, if the xbox is maybe = to a ps2.25 look at it like the wii is a ps2.5. It's got it's big toe in the graphical waters of the new generation. And play looks as if it's going to kick ass.

So, anyway, the point is that it should be fun and Fils-Aime is a better friggin businessman than any of us like to think we are. And also, go buy yourself a damn upconverting dvd player for $75 bucks from target if it's that important it plays back dvd's (are there cavemen without dvd players anymore?).:applause: rant over.

[quote name='schuerm26']People here are bitching about $50 on this yet TONS of people went out and spent that same $50 on 50 Cent's Bulletproof, $40 on Odama, $30 on generic crap game just to have it. Give me a break on $50 making or breaking a deal.[/quote]

I like how vague nintendo fanboys are! you all act liek you have played the Wii for 100's of hours and that its awesome, when you ahvnt been anycloser to it than I have! BTW, for peopel that buy 1-2 games a season, 50 dollars is a ton.

[quote name='help1']I like how vague nintendo fanboys are! you all act liek you have played the Wii for 100's of hours and that its awesome, when you ahvnt been anycloser to it than I have! BTW, for peopel that buy 1-2 games a season, 50 dollars is a ton.[/QUOTE]

Um, how many people who buy 1-2 games every four months are looking at picking up a console at launch? Few I'd think.

[quote name='Rozz']Wow.... so many people getting so upset and overexcited over one man's opinion. Geez :whistle2:?[/quote]

QFT.

[quote name='Rozz']Wow.... so many people getting so upset and overexcited over one man's opinion. Geez :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]
I'm not upset about his opinion.

What's upsetting is that he puts these questions to Nintendo, but doesn't bother to give us their responses. Instead, gives his own opinion (or re-casts Nintendo's responses as his own).

And I don't know about anybody else, but if I want to hear why the Wii was priced as it was and why it was released when it was, I'd rather hear the opinion of Reggie or Kaplan than read the musings of Matt C. He had the opportunity to report their reaction to concerns about the Wii launch, but instead he passed it over and 3 weeks later blogged his opinion on the launch. Oh goodie.

[quote name='dothog']I'm not upset about his opinion.

What's upsetting is that he puts these questions to Nintendo, but doesn't bother to give us their responses. Instead, gives his own opinion (or re-casts Nintendo's responses as his own).

And I don't know about anybody else, but if I want to hear why the Wii was priced as it was and why it was released when it was, I'd rather hear the opinion of Reggie or Kaplan than read the musings of Matt C. He had the opportunity to report their reaction to concerns about the Wii launch, but instead he passed it over and 3 weeks later blogged his opinion on the launch. Oh goodie.[/QUOTE]

once again, it's a blog not a news report.......... some people just don't get it

[quote name='Zoglog']once again, it's a blog not a news report.......... some people just don't get it[/quote]

yeah... but hey, you gotta defend yourself on the internet though, reputations are on the line here.

[quote name='Metal Boss']yeah... but hey, you gotta defend yourself on the internet though, reputations are on the line here.[/QUOTE]

that's right, you have to fight to become the president of the internet

seriousbusiness2.jpg

a classic

In any case, I just agree that it's dumb to care about what this blogger thinks. We'll see what the WII can do, I'm just hoping for some intuitive use of the wii-mote myself. I'm not going to complain about the graphics... Too much :D

[quote name='furyk']Um, how many people who buy 1-2 games every four months are looking at picking up a console at launch? Few I'd think.[/quote]

Well, im at about 4 games every 4 months, and I buy new consoles (360 and prob a Wii)....

bread's done
Back