"Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late."

I kinda agree with the blogger, but it's still the cheapest next gen system on the market by a large margin (360 tard package excluded). OMFG one extra controller costs $60. Guess what, the PS3 & 360 controllers are $50, where as the Wii controller is actually two in one.

In the end, I could care less about extra controllers. Most Wii games are going to be a pain in the ass to play with other people anyhow.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I kinda agree with the blogger, but it's still the cheapest next gen system on the market by a large margin (360 tard package excluded). OMFG one extra controller costs $60. Guess what, the PS3 & 360 controllers are $50, where as the Wii controller is actually two in one.

In the end, I could care less about extra controllers. Most Wii games are going to be a pain in the ass to play with other people anyhow.[/QUOTE]

But I thought the Wii was about playing togather? Wii?
100th reply

What worries me the most is if the Wii is little more than a souped up GC on the inside, what will games look like in 5 years compared to the 360/ps3? :whistle2:/

[quote name='seanr1221']What worries me the most is if the Wii is little more than a souped up GC on the inside, what will games look like in 5 years compared to the 360/ps3? :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

I never thought of that but that is a very good point.

[quote name='seanr1221']What worries me the most is if the Wii is little more than a souped up GC on the inside, what will games look like in 5 years compared to the 360/ps3? :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

It's something to maybe be concerned about, but Nintendo basically did the same thing with DS, which may not even be as powerful as the N64 hardware was. It's a good thing they made it clear from the outset that the graphics weren't getting much of an upgrade over the GCN...

[quote name='chargeup45']It's something to maybe be concerned about, but Nintendo basically did the same thing with DS, which may not even be as powerful as the N64 hardware was. It's a good thing they made it clear from the outset that the graphics weren't getting much of an upgrade over the GCN...[/QUOTE]

The difference, to me atleast, is I see the DS as a quick pick up and play thing, or something to do inbetween classes outside.

I like my consoles to be an expierence. The HDtv, the 5.1 sounds...yes graphics don't mean everything, but they play a large role.

[quote name='seanr1221']The difference, to me atleast, is I see the DS as a quick pick up and play thing, or something to do inbetween classes outside.

I like my consoles to be an expierence. The HDtv, the 5.1 sounds...yes graphics don't mean everything, but they play a large role.[/quote]
I agree with you, but I don't think graphics are essential to creating an experience.

Shadow of the Colossus, even compared to many PS2 games, looked (and more to my annoyance, ran) like crap, but heavens if that wasn't an enthralling expierence. Where as many games with bump maping out the wazoo just kinda fall flat. The original PS1 Resident Evil is another good example of a medicore-to-poor graphical effort, but still creating an environment completly fitting to the game's intent and experience.

I think the experience factor rests somewhat in the hands of the power of the system, but the lion's share of the responsibility is the game developers': how well they know the system and how much time and effort they put into it. In that regard, that the Wii isn't much different than the Cube, may give the Wii an inital head start on creating immersive games. Coupled with the remote, I think we're in for a lot of treats if developers give a rip.

How it will hold up in the 5 years originally proposed remains to be seen, but I'm more than slightly optimistic.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I kinda agree with the blogger, but it's still the cheapest next gen system on the market by a large margin (360 tard package excluded). OMFG one extra controller costs $60. Guess what, the PS3 & 360 controllers are $50, where as the Wii controller is actually two in one.

In the end, I could care less about extra controllers. Most Wii games are going to be a pain in the ass to play with other people anyhow.[/QUOTE]

What I don't get is why everyone is so ignorant here about the controller price. Just do two separate ggc transactions at Best Buy, and you get the full controller for the same price as Ps3/360 controllers.

Maybe I just continually show myself to be an absolute non-videophile, but do people really see a consistent, noticeable difference between the first generation games on a system, and the last generation games on a system? Not that there aren't some games that look like crap and some that look great on every console, but is that completely restricted to those created first and those created last?

As far as the GameCube goes, I don't really see that Mario Kart (maybe someone can use an earlier Mario title here) looks worse than Mario Baseball. You can say those games were stylized so the graphical improvement wasn't expected, but I would counter that that's probably how the Wii should go anyway.

[quote name='botticus']Maybe I just continually show myself to be an absolute non-videophile, but do people really see a consistent, noticeable difference between the first generation games on a system, and the last generation games on a system? Not that there aren't some games that look like crap and some that look great on every console, but is that completely restricted to those created first and those created last?

As far as the GameCube goes, I don't really see that Mario Kart (maybe someone can use an earlier Mario title here) looks worse than Mario Baseball. You can say those games were stylized so the graphical improvement wasn't expected, but I would counter that that's probably how the Wii should go anyway.[/quote]

I can see the difference with the PS2, but thats the only one. Also if we were to take the first generation to last generation difference, wouldn't that mean that the Wii would have an advantage since its just like developing for the GameCube?

Botticus, the best example I can give off the top of my head is Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: CT

splintercell_03112003_05.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20050302044543406.jpg

And Daroga, I see what you're saying, and you're right, who knows how things will be in 5 years.

[quote name='botticus']As far as the GameCube goes, I don't really see that Mario Kart (maybe someone can use an earlier Mario title here) looks worse than Mario Baseball. You can say those games were stylized so the graphical improvement wasn't expected, but I would counter that that's probably how the Wii should go anyway.[/quote]
Style plays into it, but compare the near-launch title of Eternal Darkness to Resident Evil 4 on the Cube. Or Halo 1 vs. Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. There's definite improvment as people learn the system. (And yes, I understand both of those aren't really apples to apples all the time, as ED was hampered by originally being an N64 title.)

Maybe a better example from years past is Super Mario Bros. vs. Super Mario Bros. 3. There's always the anamolies. Some one could justifably argue that Soul Calibur, a Dreamcast launch title, had the best graphics of any game on that system.

But, botticus, I totally agree with you. I'd much rather have Wii games go in the realm of Mario / Wind Waker bright, colorful, almost cartoon-style graphics. The Wii will not be the machine to finally bring us photorealism in-game, and I don't really think they should try. The more detached from reality an art style is, the more detached it can be from the rules of physics and motion. Nothing irks me more than seeing very life-like football players hobble around due to poor animation. If they had a little bit of a "fake" style to them, the animation could be adjusted to be a little goofy (like the Mario sports games for instance) and no one would care, or probably notice.

[quote name='daroga']Nothing irks me more than seeing very life-like football players hobble around due to poor animation. If they had a little bit of a "fake" style to them, the animation could be adjusted to be a little goofy (like the Mario sports games for instance) and no one would care, or probably notice.[/quote]

Or how about character models that have oven mitts for hands. That always cracks me up.

[quote name='Fire']What I don't get is why everyone is so ignorant here about the controller price. Just do two separate ggc transactions at Best Buy, and you get the full controller for the same price as Ps3/360 controllers.[/quote]
What you don't get is that not everyone can find GGC's. I've never seen one myself, so that's not a very good argument.

[quote name='Fire']What I don't get is why everyone is so ignorant here about the controller price. Just do two separate ggc transactions at Best Buy, and you get the full controller for the same price as Ps3/360 controllers.[/QUOTE]

Would that not also work the same for bringing down the price of a PS3/360 control down $5, still making PS3/360 controller cheaper?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Would that not also work the same for bringing down the price of a PS3/360 control down $5, still making PS3/360 controller cheaper?[/QUOTE]

You there with logic, out of the thread!

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Would that not also work the same for bringing down the price of a PS3/360 control down $5, still making PS3/360 controller cheaper?[/quote]
If you're not willing to part with an extra $5 for all the new stuff the Wii Controller is capable of, the Wii is not for you.

[quote name='daroga']If you're not willing to part with an extra $5 for all the new stuff the Wii Controller is capable of, the Wii is not for you.[/quote]

And if you are willing to pay 250 dollars to see what the GC err Wii isnt capable of, then the 360 or ps3 isnt for you.

NOTE: I am buying a Wii.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Would that not also work the same for bringing down the price of a PS3/360 control down $5, still making PS3/360 controller cheaper?[/QUOTE]

Yes you're right. A $45 360 (MSRP $399.99) controller and a $45 PS3 (MSRP $599.99) controller is much cheaper then a $50 Wii (MSRP $249.99 with game) controller and nunchuk.

[quote name='iufoltzie']You there with logic, out of the thread![/QUOTE]

Yep I agree. Totally logical argument.

[quote name='help1']And if you are willing to pay 250 dollars to see what the GC err Wii isnt capable of, then the 360 or ps3 isnt for you.

NOTE: I am buying a Wii.[/quote]
I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but cograts on getting the Wii.

bread's done
Back