Wii MotionPlus and Wii Sports Resort - General Info - Out now

The disc said it was doing an update the first time I inserted it, but don't know if it was a true firmware version update or just a "minor" update to recognize the WM+ data.

So what's the general consensus on this? Pick it up if you like Wii Sports? I might be getting a Wii soon and I'm wondering if this is worth picking up.

Does the WiiMotionPlus make the Wiimote more accurate in general, or only in games that support it?

[quote name='lolwut?']So what's the general consensus on this? Pick it up if you like Wii Sports? I might be getting a Wii soon and I'm wondering if this is worth picking up.

Does the WiiMotionPlus make the Wiimote more accurate in general, or only in games that support it?[/QUOTE]

Only on games that support it. However, it is still well worth getting. I need to get back to playing it some more myself.

[quote name='lolwut?']So what's the general consensus on this? Pick it up if you like Wii Sports? I might be getting a Wii soon and I'm wondering if this is worth picking up.
[/QUOTE]
I would recommend playing Wii Sports first. If you like it then you'll find even more to like in Wii Sports Resort. If you don't like it then it's pretty unlikely you'll enjoy Resort.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I would recommend playing Wii Sports first. If you like it then you'll find even more to like in Wii Sports Resort. If you don't like it then it's pretty unlikely you'll enjoy Resort.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should've said I'm thinking about re-buying a Wii.

I've owned one before, and played a friend's, so I have had a lot of time with Wii Sports; it was IMO one of the few reasons to keep the Wii at the rime. I'm guessing I should be looking to get it then :cool:

After playing this a lot more, I don't find myself enjoying most of the mini games. I guess I'll give a quick breakdown of them

Basketball - very fun
Archery - haven't played since I assume its the same as the olympics one, which was fun
Frisbee - disc golf is ok, otherwise zzz
Cycling - haven't played
Canoeing - lame, not very good controls
Power Cruising - haven't played
Table Tennis - inferior to Wii Sports Tennis
Air Sports - haven't played
Bowling - I find it inferior to Wii Sports Bowling
Swordplay - Survival is fun
Golf - indifferent to it
Wakeboarding - terrible, the camera puts you almost off screen when you are in the air for tricks, making landing hard

I haven't touched the ones that need the nunchuck since I don't usually hook it up for anything. So far, I don't really see any added bonus to the Motion plus either, and a knee-jerk reaction would be to sell this, but I know future Nintendo games will require the WMP, so no point in selling it.

How could you not notice the effect/importance of the M+ in swordplay? I've only played archery and swordplay (at Gamestop) and certainly noticed the effect of the M+ in those, and they were fun. I have the game, but it's going to be a birthday gift for one of my kids, so it's unopened for a while yet.

You have a point with swordplay. I haven't had a single issue with aiming. Mainly just annoyed with Canoeing and Wakeboarding, and to a lesser degree Bowling.

Just played this again yesterday, trying a lot more sports:

Basketball - Great. Loved 'pick-up game.' If you could just cut out the replays and speed everything up, it would be perfect.
Archery - Pretty good.
Frisbee - Disc golf >>> WS golf
Table Tennis - superior to Wii Sports Tennis
Dogfight - They don't really give you much to do.
Wakeboarding - The rounds are waaaay too long considering there's only like 3 tricks, and they seem to be executed randomly.

This game sounds pretty fun. I wanted to go to the NY event, but I didn't hear about it until it was too late. The sword fighting thing looks cool

Table Tennis is inferior to WS Tennis? Are you talking about the respective sport or the gameplay? The controls in TT are so much crisper: the ability to spin, lob, and smash the ball make it so much more interesting. In Tennis the only way to win was by angling your shot so your opponent will miss it.

As for WSR Bowling, it's more precise than WS Bowling, which could be a factor in your decreased scores.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Table Tennis is inferior to WS Tennis? Are you talking about the respective sport or the gameplay? The controls in TT are so much crisper: the ability to spin, lob, and smash the ball make it so much more interesting. In Tennis the only way to win was by angling your shot so your opponent will miss it.

As for WSR Bowling, it's more precise than WS Bowling, which could be a factor in your decreased scores.[/QUOTE]

I just don't like table tennis. The ones where I hated the controls, I mentioned the controls in them.

As for Bowling, I never said I had scoring issues. My results are pretty similar with both. WSR Bowling I need to crank my arm much more than I did with WS Bowling, thus making my arm tired earlier and I end up playing it less.

The real test for WMP would have been a boxing mini game, since I've always had a hard time with boxing on WS (especially the hand with the Wiimote).

Just got done playing Archery and Cycling. As I thought, Archery is basically the same thing from the Olympic Games compilation. Didn't feel any different with WMP, so not sure what it is doing to help with this particular game. I don't have a shaky hand so maybe I won't notice a difference, shrug.

Cycling would be fine if the camera and steering didn't suck, mostly the camera. Definitely very frustrating to not have the camera settled behind the Mii rider, as that would help a lot.

Gonna try the air sports soon, hopefully that's better. Still mainly just playing basketball though. Kind of surprised how much I am enjoying it considering that I don't like the watching the real thing at all.

Got my copy this past weekend, and it's definitely much better than the original. Swordplay is almost worth the price of the game by itself.

I picked this up two weeks ago and have put a fair amount of time into it. Right now my favorite game is definitely table tennis. The controls really work well for it and it's just fun to play, both matches and the return challenge. I'm also really enjoying the frisbee. Again, it really shows off the precision of the controller. The swordplay is decent but I don't like it as much as some of the other games. I'm guessing it'll be more fun once I've gotten a second WM+ and can play against another person but against the computer I don't find all that exciting. Archery is fun, again another one that's much more fun with a friend than solo, but definitely fun. Basketball is alright, the 3 point shooting contest is fun and the pickup game is ok but the replays make it too slow and it's a little too simplified. Canoeing has also been surprisingly fun.

But the biggest surprise for me has been the airplane. I didn't expect just flying around the island to be so fun. The fact that they included all of the points of interest to find and balloons to shoot at and being able to fly at different times of day really makes it fun. Every time I play WSR I spend 5 minutes flying around the island. Played longer it'd probably get boring quickly but for 5 minutes a day, it's a blast.

I finally got around to registering my copy yesterday on Club Nintendo. I was surprised to see that I had an email about it today and that in it they included that there are hidden things in WSR, like holding down to the 2 button as you enter a game of table tennis to be able to play an 11 point game. Why on earth would they make something like that hidden? It was one of the things that annoyed me about the game, not being able to play longer games. And it was there, but just hidden. It seems strange to me.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=98161
Nintendo announced that they'll be releasing a Limited-Edition bundle for Wii Sports Resort. This bundle will come with two WM+ units instead of one. Set to release October 12th at an MSRP of $60.

thumb_booyah_1.jpg

Wii Sports Resort™ is all about getting multiple people involved in friendly sporting competitions. Starting Oct. 12, consumers will have even more incentive to get in on the fun when Nintendo releases a special, limited-edition bundle of the Wii Sports Resort game and not one but two Wii MotionPlus™ accessories, which bring enhanced precision to games.

The bundle will be available at a suggested retail price of $59.99. Typically, Wii Sports Resort comes with a single Wii MotionPlus unit at a suggested retail price of $49.99, and additional Wii MotionPlus units are available at a suggested retail price of $19.99.

“Shoppers are looking for value as we head into the holiday season, and this Wii Sports Resort bundle is a gift that players of all ages and experience levels can enjoy,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Best of all, it instantly gets multiple members of the household engaged in playing as soon as the package is opened.”

The new bundle will be available while supplies last at most major retailers.

Through the end of August, Wii Sports Resort has already sold more than 1.25 million units in the United States alone, according to the NPD Group. Nearly 2.9 million Wii MotionPlus accessories are in the hands of the public. That includes all those sold with Wii Sports Resort, standalone sales of 1.36 million and an additional 257,000 bundled with Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10.

For more information about Nintendo, please visit www.Nintendo.com.

That's a great deal, IMO. Since Amazon will probably sell it for like $56.99 and if you have the ECA.. you're getting it for like $49. Pretty decent title and the WM+, for this game, actually makes a difference.

Yeah my copy I bought off amazon arrived this week. I have yet to open it, been busy.. this kind of pisses me off.

I did get to use my $10 coupon however... so its kind of a wash.

I initially thought the Table Tennis was pretty good. A few months ago I started playing real table tennis. The other day I gave the Resort Table Tennis another try and it feels nothing like real table tennis. The "spins" aren't even close to reality and beating the CPU is purely mechanical.

I realize I'm *way* late to the "party", but we just gave this to our kids for xmas and I'm wondering if anyone else has problems with the games getting out of calibration rapidly. In particular the sword play games are no fun for me because halfway through any match I end up having to hold the remote at odd angles to get it pointing the way I want to. This happened both on our Wii and my nephews', so it's not a problem with our system. It pretty much ruins sword play and also table tennis, and even the flying games and canoeing! I was paddling in canoeing just fine, for example, then halfway through the race I have to point the remote way out to the side lest it think I'm paddling on the other side of the canoe. It's pretty disappointing. I didn't see problems like this in Tiger Woods, and I don't have problems with it in some of the other games, namely bowling (which is better), frisbee, archery and basketball, which are probably my favorites anyway, so it's not a total loss.

They are near fully charged Eneloop batteries. Interesting point, though - don't rechargeable batteries put out slightly less power then alkaline. Could that be the issue? I'll have to experiment, though if so, it's not a great solution.

EDIT: does anyone play this with a remote containing Eneloop batteries and not have this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using sensor bar calibration? I turned on the auto calibrate in an area where the sensor bar can work properly, and it's fine.

[quote name='crunchewy']They are near fully charged Eneloop batteries. Interesting point, though - don't rechargeable batteries put out slightly less power then alkaline. Could that be the issue? I'll have to experiment, though if so, it's not a great solution.

EDIT: does anyone play this with a remote containing Eneloop batteries and not have this issue?[/QUOTE]

Make sure you've got some lights off. We have some lamps that throw some wicked signals and screw up the sensor.

A glass table (end table) perhaps? I know that mine will reflect some crazy signals sometimes.

Also the eneloops put out even lower Mah than other rechargeables as well... maybe that has something to do with it. Is it happening with both Wii motion plus's? Do you have two?

Seems odd it should not give you problems.

Are you initially calibrating the wiimotion +'s with them upside down and still like the picture shows.. you need to flip it and then let it rest with the pointer pointed at the screen.. it should not need to recailbrate for some time, by doing that.

[quote name='crunchewy']They are near fully charged Eneloop batteries. Interesting point, though - don't rechargeable batteries put out slightly less power then alkaline. Could that be the issue? I'll have to experiment, though if so, it's not a great solution.

EDIT: does anyone play this with a remote containing Eneloop batteries and not have this issue?[/QUOTE]

I use Eneloops too and have never had any problems, even if they are not fully charged. They work great until they have no power anymore (the latter tested only with bowling and not with sword play though).

[quote name='Doomed']Are you using sensor bar calibration? I turned on the auto calibrate in an area where the sensor bar can work properly, and it's fine.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... sensor bar calibration... is that on by default? I need to check, because we do have issues with remotes as pointers sometimes, even often. Unfortunately we have no completely ideal location for the Wii. Perhaps it's seeing stray lights and calibrating to them, thus getting out of sync? Perhaps what I need to do is turn that feature off if it is on by default? Will check in a little bit. Probably I need to make substantial changes to our arrangement and TV location, but that's a bit tricky. For one thing it would involve running cables to a different side of the room. I have been thinking about doing it, but it's not a minor project.

Woohoo! You folks saved the game for me!!

Just realizing that the sensor bar was involved helped immensely. I hadn't realized it was even being used in the game. I tried first turning off the auto calibration but that didn't help matters, in fact seemed to make it worse, so I turned it back on, moved our sensor bar forward on the TV stand so it was right at the edge, turned off a light we have behind our TV (I knew this caused some issues, but I thought it was just a matter of causing the pointer to go a little funky on occasion when trying to select something). All that made a big difference, but another thing actually proved to be a matter of perception. I had been trying to play with only one hand on the remote. Trusting what the game was saying, and holding the remote with two hands like you would a real sword also made a difference. I think with only one hand it's easy to get lazy with the remote and not actually point it the way you want. And wow, did I have a lot of fun with the showdown mode! I got up to level 7, though I'm stuck there at the moment.

So... thanks CAG for saving the game for me!

bread's done
Back