Wii MotionPlus and Wii Sports Resort - General Info - Out now

[quote name='Jmclark']Huh, got a $10 off purchase of Wii Sports Resort coupon in the mail from Amazon. Might actually buy this game now. :)[/QUOTE]

Snail mail or email? Either way I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Snail mail or email? Either way I'm going to keep an eye out for it.[/QUOTE]

Snail mail. It has Nintendo's address listed on it, so I'm assuming it's because of my repair.

Last night i finally tried out wii sports resort.

I have to say, overall, it felt really bad. Most of the events are putrid bad. The only ones i enjoyed were the slicing in direction one and i had a bunch of times where it sliced wrong because it was out of calibration. The constant re-calibration really makes wii motion plus fail before it even gets started. I also liked the basketball and the archery was OK, but it felt so cheap since the nunchuck doesnt really pull a string at all.

I expected a lot from nintendos showcase game for the motion plus and im extremely disapointed in it. Even my teenage sister said this is pretty boring after we played WSR for a few hours.

Overall, C+.

[quote name='Jmclark']It does that more now? Great, it does it for me all the time in the first Wii Sports, so I think I'm gonna be so terrible at the new one.[/QUOTE]

I almost never got that message in the original Wii Sports.

[quote name='Jmclark']It does that more now? Great, it does it for me all the time in the first Wii Sports, so I think I'm gonna be so terrible at the new one.[/QUOTE]

It would happen to me occasionally in the original but not at all in the new one. I think the controls for bowling are spot-on. I can do so much better than in the original one since it actually follows the way I spin and more importantly, the degree to which I do so.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Yeah, but you have angst towards a video game console, so you might as well be lying.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6067916&postcount=12

Your hatred is not natural. It's scary. I will pray to God for you. :([/QUOTE]

LOL, i stand by that post 100%. WMP with WSR was supposed to bring the console to the gamers with 1:1 accurate controls and great uses. Now that its out, its just more gimmick stuff that does not control well at all and has to re-calibrate itself all the time. Seriously, if we were to be stuck with wii technology for years to come, it'd be the worst time in gaming history. Luckily we have a choice and that choice is clearly not nintendo when it comes to core gaming.

I honestly couldnt believe how bad waverace controlled, it was so bad. The basketball game where you play against others? Holy moly that was such a disaster. I went into WSR with an open mind, 100% willing to give nintendo the benefit of the doubt, but it failed. If you want to act like a fanboy about it and defend it to death, its your life you're wasting playing crappy games. More power to ya.

I was terrible at the original bowling game, but I rock in the Sports Resort version. 100 pin bowling is fun.I like this much more than the original sports package, the sword stuff is awesome, same with the archery and just about everything except canoeing and the jet ski game were enjoyable. I hope developers take advantage of this.

One thing though, I use third party rechargeable battery packs and it seems like they run out of power much faster now, does the WM+ drain battery life faster?

I'd rather be a fan of a console than someone who wastes time constantly attacking a video game console every chance he gets. Do you not have anything better to do with your life? Do you lie awake at night crying and getting angry over the Wii? I honestly do feel very sorry for you. The fact that your kind of behavior is allowed here is odd to me. I expect this on GameFAQs, but I guess I should expect it here, too, now.

[quote name='Strell']Don't feed the troll.[/QUOTE]

Mods should zip his mouth closed then permanently.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']
Mods should zip his mouth closed then permanently.[/QUOTE]

The mods here are as potent as spray-on hair.

Probably smell about the same too, but I can't confirm that.

aww, you poor children wanted this thread to do more viral marketing for nintendo but someone had to step in and tell the truth... And now you want me banned.. lol. Just the more reason to look down on you silly nintendo fanboys.

[quote name='Strell']The mods here are as potent as spray-on hair.

Probably smell about the same too, but I can't confirm that.[/QUOTE]

Eh, what's all this then? Look, Strell, we could ban him but then we'd be accused of being board nazis. Remember all the hubbub about the infraction system? Eh, remember that? See now, under that system, maybe he'd get a 1 point infraction and if he kept it up in other threads it would eventually lead to a silence and then perhaps a ban. But everyone dumped on that system and for the most part the mods said to hell with it, we'll just let shit go unless it gets really bad. So, yeah, he's a bit annoying, but not ban-worthy (yet ;)).

I'd go play some WSR right now but I spent all evening putting together a spring-free trampoline for the kids. Man, that thing gives any piece of Ikea furniture a run for its money in terms of how sore I'll be in the AM. Ugh... Can barely type.

[quote name='Strell']io uses spray on hair.

But not where you think.[/QUOTE]

Good, I was worried that he was misunderstanding the who idea behind having a shaved Chihuahua.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']
Mods should zip his mouth closed then permanently.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't be the first time:
blitz.jpg

Here's an interesting one from a Yahoo! auto group.

Has anyone beaten Lucia yet?

[quote name='io']Eh, what's all this then? Look, Strell, we could ban him but then we'd be accused of being board nazis. .[/QUOTE]

It's funny because people who accuse you of that are usually the ones stirring shit up. You know, the ones that call others fanboys while simultaneously and ironically crapping all over another console or just acting like douche bags in general.

[quote name='Corvin']Wouldn't be the first time:
blitz.jpg

Here's an interesting one from a Yahoo! auto group.[/QUOTE]

Oh, wow. That's just sad. He has a lot of pent-up anger and hostility. He might be a danger to himself and others.

Got a second M+ yesterday. I played against my brother in swordplay duel, who's 1200+ (I'm around 200) and I swept him. It moves really fast though, so it seems to be a lot of luck and waggling IMO.

Table tennis, ugh, without spin you're toast. I found out the hard way, losing 6-0.

Dogfight is pretty simple (please make Starfox Wii) but I like the crash-and-lose-half aspect and the ability to replenish balloons. It's easy to pop 5 of your opponent's balloons but then he gets 10 more and you're suddenly behind.

Haven't tried the water sports yet.

[quote name='io']It would happen to me occasionally in the original but not at all in the new one. I think the controls for bowling are spot-on. I can do so much better than in the original one since it actually follows the way I spin and more importantly, the degree to which I do so.[/QUOTE]
I guess the old bowling was just waggle dependent enough to give it a superficial sense of randomness/depth in the control -- it fooled me, at least. Now I'm a goddamn strike machine. It shouldn't be this easy.

I averaged maybe a 180 in old bowling, and in the three games of new bowling I've rolled I've yet to go under 230. It's not compelling me to roll the way the old control did. I'd rarely go into WS without bowling at least 3 or 4 games. In WSR, I haven't bowled more than once per session. It's embarrassing to stop by as an afterthought and drop 6 or 7 consecutive strikes on someone's head. That shouldn't be -- that should take some skillz.

[quote name='Corvin']Wouldn't be the first time:
blitz.jpg

Here's an interesting one from a Yahoo! auto group.[/QUOTE]

DVDtalk? LOL. They banned me and maybe 50 others because we supported Blu-ray over HD DVD. The forum was getting paid by MS to be pro-HD DVD, so anyone who supported blu-ray was a target to get banned, i was one of many.

And that auto group one, i dont even remember saying those things. That was a long time ago in a life i no longer live. But hey, if i was like that, i take full responcibility for what i said, since thats what adults do.

Now, back to your scheduled agenda.

[quote name='blitz6speed']
And that auto group one, i dont even remember saying those things. That was a long time ago in a life i no longer live. But hey, if i was like that, i take full responcibility for what i said, since thats what adults do.[/QUOTE]

All evidence to the contrary :lol:

What is with the complaints about "constant" recalibration? I've NEVER had this thing recalibrate my controller once during gameplay and I've been playing for about 10 hours.

Sounds like somebody has no clue how to set up their system or has the sensor bar directly in front of a sunlit window.

Actually, I think it's pretty cool that the calibaration is done just by laying the thing down on the table. (And I've only done this in between games when a new one was chosen. I did stop to try and re-calibrate once during archery when I was having trouble early on, but realized it was something I was doing wrong with the way I held and moved the controller.)

[quote name='Plinko']What is with the complaints about "constant" recalibration? I've NEVER had this thing recalibrate my controller once during gameplay and I've been playing for about 10 hours.

Sounds like somebody has no clue how to set up their system or has the sensor bar directly in front of a sunlit window.[/QUOTE]
Except the calibration that the game asks for has nothing to do with the sensor bar. It just asks you to place the remote down on a flat surface. Nice try though.

[quote name='pete5883']Except the calibration that the game asks for has nothing to do with the sensor bar. It just asks you to place the remote down on a flat surface. Nice try though.[/QUOTE]

When you start the game the first time, it asks you if you would like the option of using the sensor bar for greater accuracy. One would assume most would click "yes" considering the greater accuracy.

If sunlight comes through a window and blocks the the sensor bar's ability to track the remote, the game will lose track of the remote frequently and the game will constantly ask for recalibration. I've seen this on several other boards. Moving the sensor bar away from a sunlit window almost always solved the problem.

Nice try, though. Feel free to keep talking out of your ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only complaint thus far is the fact that it takes about 20 clicks to get into each game depending on the game:

-> Game
-> Mode
-> Players
-> Mii Selection
-> Right/Left handed
-> Automatic/Manual
-> Start
-> Order Pizza
-> Press + to recalibrate
-> Take a break & go outside
-> Press - to skip practice
-> Point at screen and press A to start

[quote name='Plinko']When you start the game the first time, it asks you if you would like the option of using the sensor bar for greater accuracy. One would assume most would click "yes" considering the greater accuracy.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall seeing this pop up once. I do have to sit the Wiimote down maybe twice per session.

[quote name='Corvin']
I don't recall seeing this pop up once. I do have to sit the Wiimote down maybe twice per session.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6213637/p-2.html
Thankfully, Wii Sports Resort handles this issue rather elegantly through an option called "Sensor Bar Assist," which is enabled by default. This allows the Wii to recalibrate the controller every time it's pointed at the screen (or more specifically, the sensor bar). Basically, in an ideal environment, your controller should automatically recalibrate itself often enough (whenever it "sees" the sensor bar) that you shouldn't notice any problems. However, not everyone plays in an ideal environment, and this can actually result in "Sensor Bar Assist" making the problem worse! But in order to resolve this issue, it helps to understand how exactly the "Sensor Bar" works.
The part in bold explains why direct sunlight makes the problem worse as it prevents the sensor bar/remote detection.

[quote name='Corvin']My only complaint thus far is the fact that it takes about 20 clicks to get into each game depending on the game:

-> Game
-> Mode
-> Players
-> Mii Selection
-> Right/Left handed
-> Automatic/Manual
-> Start
-> Order Pizza
-> Press + to recalibrate
-> Take a break & go outside
-> Press - to skip practice
-> Point at screen and press A to start

I don't recall seeing this pop up once. I do have to sit the Wiimote down maybe twice per session.[/QUOTE]

This part is sort of puzzling to me too. It doesn't seem to remember your handedness the way, I think, Wii Sports did. One nice update on this front though, is the ability to change Miis at the end of any round through the corner button.

[quote name='foltzie']Psst, it is the other way around. "The Sensor Bar" is just two infrared LEDs.[/QUOTE]

LOL--my mistake. I knew it sounded wrong when I posted it. I shouldn't be posting right after waking up :p Original has been edited.

As soon as Amazon puts this in my gold box, and assuming their current price remains the same, I'll be using the $10 off code I got in the mail to get this. Makes me wonder if Metroid Prime Trilogy will have a similar code next month since this is the second month of a $10 off code for a Wii game at Amazon. Kind of wish I had tried to get Punchout now too, as a goldbox would have put the price around $34.

[quote name='Plinko']When you start the game the first time, it asks you if you would like the option of using the sensor bar for greater accuracy. One would assume most would click "yes" considering the greater accuracy.

If sunlight comes through a window and blocks the the sensor bar's ability to track the remote, the game will lose track of the remote frequently and the game will constantly ask for recalibration. I've seen this on several other boards. Moving the sensor bar away from a sunlit window almost always solved the problem.

Nice try, though. Feel free to keep talking out of your ass.[/QUOTE]
The sensor bar doesn't track the remote, the remote is a camera, keeping track of the lights on the sensor bar. If the recalibration doesn't involve pointing at the sensor bar at all, why would the sensor bar have anything to do with the recalibration?

[quote name='pete5883']The sensor bar doesn't track the remote, the remote is a camera, keeping track of the lights on the sensor bar. If the recalibration doesn't involve pointing at the sensor bar at all, why would the sensor bar have anything to do with the recalibration?[/QUOTE]

Read my post above from the Gamespot article:

Thankfully, Wii Sports Resort handles this issue rather elegantly through an option called "Sensor Bar Assist," which is enabled by default. This allows the Wii to recalibrate the controller every time it's pointed at the screen (or more specifically, the sensor bar). Basically, in an ideal environment, your controller should automatically recalibrate itself often enough (whenever it "sees" the sensor bar) that you shouldn't notice any problems. However, not everyone plays in an ideal environment, and this can actually result in "Sensor Bar Assist" making the problem worse! But in order to resolve this issue, it helps to understand how exactly the "Sensor Bar" works.

When the remote and sensor bar "connect," the game automatically recalibrates. It's why most people are having zero issues with recalibration.

[quote name='pete5883']I did read it. So if the remote sees the sensor bar, then the game is invisibly recalibrating all the time?[/QUOTE]

Seems like it is double checking itself where possible. The LED sensor bar allows the Wiimote to detect twisting motions with relation to the LEDs, but only if it can "see" the LEDs. A nearby window might introduce some reflections and throw it off.

YES!!! This was in my goldbox today. With the coupon, goldbox, credit, and amazon's already cheap price I only paid $10 out of pocket. Can't wait to get this as it looks really fun! :D

[quote name='Snake2715']Damn, oNly got a punchout coupon. No others... i should give my punchout coupon away.[/QUOTE]

I thought that expired?

I was at a GameStop the other day putting down my preorder for Scribblenauts, and I was delighted to see a demo station set up for Wii Sports Resort. I quickly abandoned all self-pride and set about flailing about in the Sword-Fighting game. I was pretty impressed at how responsive the controls were, and I had a fair amount of challenge against the A.I. I played three rounds and only won one round.

I gave Table Tennis a try. I found I kept trying to move like in Wii Sports Tennis, but when I started trying to emulate the brisk movements one makes playing Ping-pong, I found I did worse.

Wii Sports Resort is a game I definitely want at some point, but this demo left me a little underwhelmed. $30 will probably be my sweet spot on this, if it comes with the Motion+.

Yeah I checked out this game's review over at Crispy Gamer and from their write up it seemed pretty good so I bought it. They usually have pretty good/accurate reviews for games in general.

I didn't expect a event similar to my beloved pilot wings, so as a result the game has become one of my favorite games of all time.

[quote name='utopianmachine'] Wii Sports Resort is a game I definitely want at some point, but this demo left me a little underwhelmed. $30 will probably be my sweet spot on this, if it comes with the Motion+.[/QUOTE]

!!

I know this is CAG, but come on. This is miles better than Wii Play and a lot better than Wii Sports. You've only tried 2/12 sports, plus most (if not all) sports have multiple modes.

Table tennis takes some getting used to, but I think if you were less encumbered by the demo station you would do better.

With regards to the price, it's got two things going against a price drop/sale: Nintendo first-party title and a bundled accessory.

Has anyone received a random refund from Amazon on this?

[quote name='Amazon.com']Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $2.50 for your Order XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Wii Sports Resort
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B001COQW14
Reason for refund: Item not satisfactory

Here's a the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $2.50

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Visa Credit Card [ending with XXXX]: $2.50[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here. I would think that this is the pre-order price guarantee, but I ordered it at $46.99 and the current price is $44.99, so I'm not sure where the extra $0.50 is coming from. I don't know why "Item not satisfactory" is there either as I haven't sent them an email or anything.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Has anyone received a random refund from Amazon on this?

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here. I would think that this is the pre-order price guarantee, but I ordered it at $46.99 and the current price is $44.99, so I'm not sure where the extra $0.50 is coming from. I don't know why "Item not satisfactory" is there either as I haven't sent them an email or anything.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Same refund for the same amount. Letter popped up in my inbox less than an hour ago. Funny too since I stacked a ton of discounts on this: 5% Goldbox, 10% ECA, Free SS Shipping, plus a $10 trade-in deal code from a while back so I was already getting a pretty nice deal on it.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Has anyone received a random refund from Amazon on this?

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here. I would think that this is the pre-order price guarantee, but I ordered it at $46.99 and the current price is $44.99, so I'm not sure where the extra $0.50 is coming from. I don't know why "Item not satisfactory" is there either as I haven't sent them an email or anything.[/QUOTE]

I got it too - exact same email and amount.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was at a GameStop the other day putting down my preorder for Scribblenauts, and I was delighted to see a demo station set up for Wii Sports Resort. I quickly abandoned all self-pride and set about flailing about in the Sword-Fighting game. I was pretty impressed at how responsive the controls were, and I had a fair amount of challenge against the A.I. I played three rounds and only won one round.

I gave Table Tennis a try. I found I kept trying to move like in Wii Sports Tennis, but when I started trying to emulate the brisk movements one makes playing Ping-pong, I found I did worse.

Wii Sports Resort is a game I definitely want at some point, but this demo left me a little underwhelmed. $30 will probably be my sweet spot on this, if it comes with the Motion+.[/QUOTE]

I've got to agree with Lone_Prodigy. You really need to pick this up right away, as it's incredibly fun. Not to mention it will be close to $30 if you get goldbox + the coupon code + amazon's current price.

I got the refund as well. I'm not gonna complain about free money, but it is kinda weird. I do have to say that I think it is BS how prices on these games seem to drop so quickly after release date. Plus, I can't tell you how many games I've pre-purchased from Amazon only to get a coupon from them for $10 off a couple weeks later. Maybe this will help make up for the price drop.

I got the same email. I bought it with a gift card so now I have $2.50 to spend on Amazon.

My wife and I are enjoying the game!

bread's done
Back