Wii MotionPlus and Wii Sports Resort - General Info - Out now

[quote name='elwood731']
Don King Boxing
Gold's Gym Cardio Workout
[/quote]
I think these two are out already. Well, I know Gold's Gym is because we got it. Shape boxing kicks my ass.

The Power Glove was not a Nintendo peripheral. It was a third party controller made by Mattel. I paid full SRP ($75?) for that p.o.s. back in the day.

$20 for WM+ is beyond absurd. However, I want Wii Sports Resort just for the Wave Race portion, so I'll get the one that's included with that and be done.

According to Kotaku, EA will be releasing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010 along with Nintendo's
Wii Motion Plus accessory.

The peripheral was originally planned to launch with Wii Sports Resort (it will still be bundled), but we later heard that the game would be launching a good month or so after the add-on.

This does not seem like a usual move for Nintendo, allowing their first-party peripheral to be bundled with a third-party game. Either way, kiddos, at least we will have something to play when Wii Motion Plus is released.

From 411mania.com.

You may have heard it here first (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere), but when do you think Nintendo will offer a new WiimotePlus, which has MotionPlus built into an original wiimote-sized housing? I bet it will be offered by this year's holiday season.

[quote name='DrMoze']You may have heard it here first (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere), but when do you think Nintendo will offer a new WiimotePlus, which has MotionPlus built into an original wiimote-sized housing? I bet it will be offered by this year's holiday season.[/quote]

Nope. This is more of an ongoing discussion ever since the Wii was released. Hear it all the time. The problem with that argument too is if Nintendo did release a new remote with it built in, it would cost an additional $20 probably on top of the price of a new remote, which would make the new remote $60, which would probably make more people mad their old Wii remotes are pieces of junk and they spent $40 on it for no reason. At least now people can somewhat justify Wii Motiom Plus and be like, well at least I dont have to buy new remotes.

Not really my opinion, I think Nintendo are bastards, but just giving different perspectives to this thread.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The Tiger Woods box art is awful, it looks like he's being stabbed in the neck.[/QUOTE]

As he should

I sold my Wii a long time ago but will be getting Resort for my sister. I couldn't care less about the msrp of Motion+ but the 6 week wait to get a second M+ and play the games in 2-player mode is out of order.

[quote name='DrMoze']You may have heard it here first (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere), but when do you think Nintendo will offer a new WiimotePlus, which has MotionPlus built into an original wiimote-sized housing? I bet it will be offered by this year's holiday season.[/quote]

I'm sure they will do this when they start releasing different colors for the Wii remotes. I can see $50 being a "reasonable" price for this (few parts if it's integrated), and I think people would buy them to get the colors a la getting new DSes. I think maybe in time for 4th quarter in Japan as a way to give sales a jolt over there, then maybe here as well.

[quote name='batman1939']I'm a Nintendo fan-boy so I will buy it but damn Nintendo Wii is getting too many peripherals. Thinking back to old systems:

Gamecube
1. Gameboy Player
2. Gameboy Link Cable
3. Bongs
4. Mic
5. Wave Bird

[/quote]

lol, i don't remember the bongs peripheral? was it bundled with mario party 4:20 :D

on topic though, any idea if gamestop will drop to the MSRP of $19.99 instead of what they currently have the pre-order price of $24.99?

Gamestop might try their infamous tax, which is most readily seen on DS games where they charge five bucks more for certain titles (usually first party games and/or big RPGs from Square).

I don't think there's going to be a shortage of these, so go get it elsewhere (Amazon comes to mind).

On the topic of drugs, before the Wii was announced, they kept being secretive about what it was going to employ, talking about how they'd secure patents and rights and so forth to make sure no one else would get it. Then there was talk about how there'd be no demonstration units in stores, and then there was all this talk about feeling, which I figured could be emotional stuff. So it followed naturally that the then-named-Revolution would just employ drugs as its control scheme.

Because really, isn't that what the universe intended?

I was thinking the other day that a game I'd really like to see for Wii MotionPlus is a baseball game. Batting would be awesome. In fact, probably all I'd really need is a new version of the Wii Sports baseball game. Do we know what sports are included in Wii Sports Resort? Are any of the Wii Sports ones being redone for it, or is it all new games?

[quote name='crunchewy']I was thinking the other day that a game I'd really like to see for Wii MotionPlus is a baseball game. Batting would be awesome. In fact, probably all I'd really need is a new version of the Wii Sports baseball game. Do we know what sports are included in Wii Sports Resort? Are any of the Wii Sports ones being redone for it, or is it all new games?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, there's supposed to be 8 games total, and so far, we only know about three of them: Frisbee Toss, Sword Fighting, and Jet Skis.

Do you think motionplus is going to be supply constricted for a while?
it happened with the mario kart/wheel bundle, the wiifit unit, and certainly the wii itself.

Now nintendo is splitting up wiimotion units between individual for sale packages, and packing it in with 3rd party games, and building a supply up for release with wiisports resort.

The initial demand alone could be 10+ million, more if the advance murmurs of it being good hold true.
And even if the motionplus unit is ridiculously easy to make, how many can nintendo stockpile before launch and produce on a monthly basis, while at the same time, diverting to 3rd party users or holding for resort?

This reeks of a 32x. Nintendo will no longer be making hardware in the future unless people are too stupid to realize what they are doing. So now we are looking at 80 dollar wii controllers lol. I thought the bundle would be 30! I doubt I will pay 50 for that bundle. I'd rather get tiger and just the accessory, but I will be waiting till tiger is about 15 bucks, so it looks like I won't play my wii much for another year. I would never pay 30 bucks for a game with stupid Mii designs. It is really more of a demo than a game. You can't tell me wii sports isn't a demo, you can't even field or run the bases in baseball lol.

I agree with Baseball. In addition, I want an updated Wii Sports Boxing w/ WMP, but I don't see that happening with Punch-Out. Guess we will have to wait for some time before a WMP boxing game....unless EA Sports creates the game.

I understand Golf, but not Table Tennis. Why not regular Tennis?

Also, I'm still hoping for Beach Volleyball.

There are two games coming this summer that am excited about and they both support the Wii motion plus. Sega's virtual tennis 2009 and EA's grand slam tennis.

BTW has anyone demoed/previewed or reviewed both tennis games yet? Am looking to see which is better. I might end up buying both.

I hope they both don't end up like Top Spin 3, I was disappointed last summer.

Updated the OP with the new E3 info; the complete list of sports is:
Introduction: Skydiving to Woohoo Island
Frisbee Toss
Jet Ski Racing
Sword Fighting
Golf (WM+ Enhanced; Originally from Wii Sports)
Bowling
Table Tennis (WM+ Enhanced; Seems to be more like WS Tennis)
Basketball
Archery
Kayaking
Flying
Cycling
Wakeboarding

Some notes:
- An interesting quirk with Archery, you aim your bow without the use of the IR pointer.
- Probably still falls under rumor territory, but I read in one of the Miyamoto RT live-blogs that WSR Golf now has 18 holes.

IGN Preview

EDIT: Removed the swordfighting part, as I cannot find where I read about it. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cao Cao'] What would be a better name: Wandering Samiirai? Ruroumii Kenshin? Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usamii Yojimbo?
[/QUOTE]

Stop it.

#-o I should have looked at the IGN preview first, it mentions more games. Skydiving AND flying?

Remember the airplane demo when the Wii was first revealed back in 2006? It's back: Wii Sports Resort incorporates a mode where you can fly a plane all over the island of Wii Sports Resort in a sightseeing challenge. Just like in the original Airplane demo, you hold the Wii Remote like a paper airplane and twist to turn left and right in the air, tipping the remote up and down to raise and lower the nose to adjust altitude. It makes us want Pilotwings all that much more.

Wii Sports Resort also features two repeat performances from Wii Sports: Bowling and Golf. These games have been given the full Wii Motion Plus treatment. Bowling looks and plays just like the original, but you now have even more precision over your roll of the ball. The game also gives gamers complete access to the mini-games, including the 100-pin challenge without the need for unlocking it. There is a change: each throw is an attempt at knocking over all 100 pins, so you can end up with a 3000 score. Golf is beefier with more holes to play and a tighter way to swing your club for accurate drives and putts.

Wakeboarding is surprisingly fun as well: hold the Wii Remote in its classic orientation as you're pulled through the lagoon, swinging yourself back and forth along the boat's wake to gain air and perform tricks for points. It's fast and frantic, but the Wii Motion Plus gives players incredibly tight control over their position behind the boat.

Last year we saw and played the Jet Ski mode called "Power Cruising," and it's back in the final game. Hold the Nunchuk in one hand, the Wii Remote in the other, hold the A or B button to throttle up and steer the craft with tilts from both controllers as if you were holding the handle bars. To speed up, "rev" the Wii Remote and you'll get an extra jolt. The mode I played was a slalom course where you have to cruise under arches as a digital readout counts down. You earn the points on the readout as you drive underneath. Some arches have a second, smaller arch that rewards double the points.

Of course, the more games you have, the greater the odds for a dud. And in this case, it's cycling. You ride your bike around the island against 30 other cyclists, pedalling by thrusting the Wii Remote and Nunchuk up and down alternately. If you waggle too fast you'll wear out your character, but you'll also go faster if you draft behind other racers as well as get caught in a tailwind. Steering is handled through tilt of the Wii Remote. Did not like this mode all that much.

Man, they really ARE making Pilotwings without making Pilotwings.

This is good because I love Pilotwings, but it is bad because I loved those characters and the music.

This is yet another upcoming game I'm really excited about. What's not to like?

The Archery has me thinking that the Wii will now unquestionably be the premier platform for Cabela's hunting games. There will surely be a whole series of Cabela's Bow Hunting games now as well as competitors. Probably would be fun if you can get over the killing animals for sport bit. Maybe some developer will do those of us like this a favor and make a game where you are equipped with a bow, but instead go around shooting "bad guys" with it. ;^)

I think I'm going to pre-order WSR and an extra WM+ instead of getting Tiger Woods. The min-games looks really fun in WSR, and if I really like the golf in WSR (added holes and better controls), then I'll pick up Tiger Woods (unless the reviews are mindblowingly good).

[quote name='Cao Cao']#-o I should have looked at the IGN preview first, it mentions more games. Skydiving AND flying?[/QUOTE]

I read Gamespot's preview of WSR, and they mentioned a couple of things worth noting. IGN mentioned the flying game, but it sounds like you can actually dogfight against another player. That could be a lot of fun. Also, it appears that frisbee toss includes disc golf as well. It sounds like some of these games will have 2 or 3 variations, which is definitely cool.

Do they wear those jackets on a daily basis? It's kind of like how construction workers all wear those different colored helmets so you know who the supervisors are.

[quote name='RCS0926']I read Gamespot's preview of WSR, and they mentioned a couple of things worth noting. IGN mentioned the flying game, but it sounds like you can actually dogfight against another player. That could be a lot of fun. Also, it appears that frisbee toss includes disc golf as well. It sounds like some of these games will have 2 or 3 variations, which is definitely cool.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RCS0926']I think I'm going to pre-order WSR and an extra WM+ instead of getting Tiger Woods. The min-games looks really fun in WSR, and if I really like the golf in WSR (added holes and better controls), then I'll pick up Tiger Woods (unless the reviews are mindblowingly good).[/QUOTE]

This E3 was definitely a positive for Wii Sports Resort. Before, it seems that many were treating WSR like another Wii Play, something you get only for the accessory, but now, it looks as if WSR has legs to stand more on its own (Upgraded from "Only for the accessory" to "Primarily for the accessory"). Unlike Wii Play, this title doesn't seem like something you'd play a one or two times, then throw it into the closet.

Here are some previews from E3 2009 (Including the aforementioned GameSpot preview):
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=41128
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-hands-on-with-wii-sports-resort-134806.phtml
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wii-sports-resort-hands-on
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210935/wii-sports-resort-hands-on
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174561&p=44
http://e3.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696138/Wii-Sports-Resort-Preview.html

Also, it is an interesting Iwata Asks article, as it goes over some of the challenges they faced and the different methods they used to try to solve them.

EDIT: Posted on GoNintendo were a couple Youtube videos demonstrating some of the sports:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx3Hzgmw6HA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XiCJpmtLEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjLk7Clzdw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2LzjODU0zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJxi-rOzJw

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Koggit']so this $20 add-on doesnt fix existing games?

seriously?

wtf...[/QUOTE]
Why would it? It's not as though developers are going to go back and re-code the controls for old games that aren't making much money anymore.

bread's done
Back