Wii sell out predictions.....from a year and a half ago

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So I was looking through my old forum postings and I came across a thread in which I asked before the Wii came out whether it would sell out or not. Many CAGs predicted it would sell out initially (like all launch systems) but be easily accessible in a few months.

Well......here we are a year and a half later and that has yet to have come true.

Just an interesting contrast I thought.

This only proves that people who have no knowledge or foundation to support their opinion need to GTFO. Am I the only one sick of seeing 239048239048 people thinking they can predict video game sales?

I knew it was going to sell out for a while, but how could ANYONE have predicted a year and a half of lines around buildings, delivery truck stalking, and extortion on online sites?

[quote name='botticus']Never know. The "casual gamers" I was out with at my buddy's bachelor party a few weeks ago thought that the PS3 still had the boomerang controller and didn't think it had a release date yet. And they like/have played the 360, but "won't be spending $400 for a video game." And these are mostly salesmen who make a lot more money than I do. The Wii might have a chance at selling out simply because the PS3 won't be there.

After that, it depends on how well Nintendo succeeded at the concept they're going for. Word of mouth will make or break future sales.[/quote]
Internet face saved! ... after a quick edit.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']Where I live there was one kid waiting to get a Wii at 7pm the night of the launch. However people were lined up 2 days in advance for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Where do you live, Mars?

[quote name='Blitz']Where do you live, Mars?[/quote]
People were crazy back then. Lots of people waiting out in the cold for both systems, many for multiple days.

And it'll all happen again in a few more years.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I think he means where were you that there was only 1 kid waiting for the Wii[/quote]Ah. Wii lines weren't really any bigger than PS3 lines here from what I recall. At least not the really early people. 8am was another story.

I love how the success of the Wii makes professional prognosticators and gaming fanboys look like morons. :) It's an endless source of free entertainment!

--R.J.

[quote name='botticus']People were crazy back then. Lots of people waiting out in the cold for both systems, many for multiple days.

And it'll all happen again in a few more years.[/QUOTE]

It is my recollection that way more people lined up way earlier for the PS3 - almost exclusively for the mad profits of course. The Wiis sold out quickly as well but without nearly as much line camping. We're talking launch and pre-launch GS preorders only here, of course. After a few weeks it was all about the Wii lines.

There was one guy locally who paid a bunch of people to sit with him in line to get PS3s and even hired a security guard to protect him/his money/his PS3's since presumably he paid everyone in cash for them. I never did hear a follow-up on that but I wonder how much he ended up losing for all his efforts?

bread's done
Back