Wii Super Paper Mario $30 @ EBGames (requires trip to Best Buy)

Zorn

CAGiversary!
This involves going to both Best Buy and EBgames. Here's what you do:

First, print off two of the "$5 off any Wii game" coupons here: http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coupons1hf5.jpg

Then, go into Best Buy, and pick up Open Season and Far Cry: Instincts. These games are both $19.99, and if you use the $5 off coupons on them they are $15 each. Note that you may have to buy one at the customer service counter then buy the other one at the regular register since the same person might not let you use 2 coupons at once. Plus as a bonus, if you're a RewardZone member, you get the points on those games.

Then go to EBgames, they have a promotion going on until 4/15 where if you trade in any 2 Wii games, you get one for free, maximum value $49.99. So you trade in your two newly acquired $15 games and walk out with a $50 Super Paper Mario. All done!

Sure, it takes going to two stores, but if where you live is anything like me, the EBgames and Best Buy are basically right next door to each other.

[quote name='dm877']thanks for sharing your story
but going through all that trouble isnt really worth it for me
i learned my lesson and i'm moving on. i am never going to try exploiting deals anymore[/quote]

ditto

[quote name='imacgod']Got my Paper Mario today. Had a nice manager that didn't know what was going on so he called up corporate.

Had to pay tax though. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should elaborate on my luck?

I was at Prince Georges Mall since the bus from university goes there. It's kind of a shoddy place, so maybe that helps. I hit up EB Games. The trade went smoothly. First, the clerk was about to give me just $5 each on Far Cry and Open Season, just as everybody else was reporting. I showed her the webpage prinout, so she went back to get the manager. The manager was very nice to me, calling me "sir" and being completely open to the trade. He read the printout and called up either the regional manager or corporate. He talked to two people on the phone. It probably helped he didn't mention the games were Far Cry and Open Season, but they finally informed him of what to enter on the computer to complete the trade. So he entered everything and said he learned something today. I guess nobody was taking advantage of the deal here, since it's not exactly the most appealing place on Earth. All he did was make me pay tax. Smooth, but long transaction.

I suggest asking the clerk or manager call up some higher ups, if there are issues. Or even call up corporate yourself asking why these games aren't all of a sudden acceptable when there's nothing in the fine print.

One question: Any idea if FYE has some good deals on cheap Wii trading fodder? I'd like to do another trade before Sunday since there is an FYE in that mall. The Target here isn't clearancing anything.

[quote name='dm877']thanks for sharing your story
but going through all that trouble isn't really worth it for me
i learned my lesson and I'm moving on. i am never going to try exploiting deals anymore[/quote]I probably won't be doing anything this elaborate for a while. It was a pretty frustrating and annoying experience, but you can't put a price on a $30 SPM! Oh wait...

just to let you guys know...

you might not be able to trade in open season or far cry with the 2 for 1 trade.

there was an email sent today that said to exclude these games for that trade-in offer. i work at gamestop and the email info is not just for our area/region/district but companywide.

so you might be able to do it if the associate didnt read the email. try to get a regular worker...the store manager and assistant mgr will most likely have read the email.

good luck guys. hopefully you can get on this deal cuz it would be a good way to cheat the system. even though i work at game stop...they are a rip off.

**WARNING**

I haven't read back too much to see if anyone else confirmed this (beyond the initial reports we got about it early in the day), but I went in tonight to pick up my second SPM preorder and innocently asked about the Trade 2 Wii deal. She said it was still on. I continued (innocently) and asked if there were any resitrictions. She then informed me that [highlight]2 new restrictions just came down today (Weds) via email - Far Cry and Open Season[/highlight]. So this appears to verify the rumors from earlier.

Anyway, just be warned that it might be difficult for the last few days. If you have those two games to trade I would do it ASAP tomorrow (Thurs) before word spreads of the new restrictions. Note that you can also probably protest and possibly get your way based on the in-store signage (which only restricts Wii Sports and Wii Play) and the web site (until they modify that, which they may not bother with).

Edit - Yeah, OK, so I see several other have confirmed as well. So, anyway, looks like it is over. To those discouraged and said they "learned their lesson" I think that is a bit extreme. The deal has been running for nearly two weeks now and was just shut down now with only 4 days left. Everyone had plenty of chance to get in on it LAST week, let alone early this week. It was posted in multiple other threads but didn't seem to explode on CAG till this thread was made. The lesson learned should be that when you see an upcoming deal at a place like EB for trade 2 get 1 free you should think about how to use that to your advantage and search around CAG to see if anyone else has come up with a way ;).

This is the FIRST time I've heard of a trade-in deal "exploit" extending beyond the CAG community though if the reports of it being on FW and SD are true (I don't look there). Sure, clearance sales get spread around like that but I always thought the ins and outs of trade-in deals were more CAG exclusive (due mostly to our experience/knowledge in how to trade games in, etc). This most likely got shut down because it got beyond CAG and exploited to a much larger degree than it would have otherwise. Oh well, not much we can do , but I miss the good ol' days :lol:.

[quote name='dm877']went to EB games and asked one of the guys if they had the 2 for 1 promotion going

before he answered yes or no, he told me "no far cry and open season"[/quote]

That's hilarious.

Yeah, I'm fine with EBs taking their time on changing it. I mean, I got my Super Paper Mario. I thought about briefly doing another run for NiGHTs but figured I already got enough out of EBs.

Sounds like some locations got hit hard with those games :lol:.

Whenever I did it the 2-3 people working at the time seemed to be doing the promo for the first time and were genuinely surprised at the low values those games had and congratulated me on getting a great deal ;).

Called both gs and ebgames around my area and all said that far cry and open season are excluded from this deal. I'm going to take a trip to target and walmart and see if there are any cheap wii games around there.

[quote name='io']**WARNING**

I haven't read back too much to see if anyone else confirmed this (beyond the initial reports we got about it early in the day), but I went in tonight to pick up my second SPM preorder and innocently asked about the Trade 2 Wii deal. She said it was still on. I continued (innocently) and asked if there were any resitrictions. She then informed me that [highlight]2 new restrictions just came down today (Weds) via email - Far Cry and Open Season[/highlight]. So this appears to verify the rumors from earlier.

Anyway, just be warned that it might be difficult for the last few days. If you have those two games to trade I would do it ASAP tomorrow (Thurs) before word spreads of the new restrictions. Note that you can also probably protest and possibly get your way based on the in-store signage (which only restricts Wii Sports and Wii Play) and the web site (until they modify that, which they may not bother with).

Edit - Yeah, OK, so I see several other have confirmed as well. So, anyway, looks like it is over. To those discouraged and said they "learned their lesson" I think that is a bit extreme. The deal has been running for nearly two weeks now and was just shut down now with only 4 days left. Everyone had plenty of chance to get in on it LAST week, let alone early this week. It was posted in multiple other threads but didn't seem to explode on CAG till this thread was made. The lesson learned should be that when you see an upcoming deal at a place like EB for trade 2 get 1 free you should think about how to use that to your advantage and search around CAG to see if anyone else has come up with a way ;).

This is the FIRST time I've heard of a trade-in deal "exploit" extending beyond the CAG community though if the reports of it being on FW and SD are true (I don't look there). Sure, clearance sales get spread around like that but I always thought the ins and outs of trade-in deals were more CAG exclusive (due mostly to our experience/knowledge in how to trade games in, etc). This most likely got shut down because it got beyond CAG and exploited to a much larger degree than it would have otherwise. Oh well, not much we can do , but I miss the good ol' days :lol:.[/quote]

Good thing I got various other $10 games from Target other than Open Season and Far Cry then!

Thanks for the info on the restrictions guys. Ah well, I guess I'm not going to give this a shot, unless I can find some cheap Wii games in other stores. Even if they are $40 total I still save $10. Works for me.

I originally purchased two copies of Far Cry from Best Buy. When I went to Gamestop, they said that they couldn't take 2 copies of the same game. I fought with the manager for a little bit, before deciding that it wasn't worth an argument. I tried the same move at Funcoland, where I was met with the same results. I think I scared the assistant manager, because he was a young man and I demanded that he call his manager at home to tell me that I couldn't do the trade. He did and I didn't get the game. I returned one of the games to Best Buy. The next day, I went to target to pick up Viva Pinata and Open Season. Luckily, there was a different Gamestop nearby. I did the trade and got SPM. I really love ripping off Gamestop, the worst store in America.

It may still be worth trying, at least today. I took my copies into GS today (same store I bought them used from yesterday), and they did the trade toward SPM with no questions asked. Them turning it away is dependent on them having read the email, which a lot of non-management employees don't do regularly. It may be worth trying out, though if you bought new copies and have to open them to trade in, check first so you still have the option to return them to BB.

I kind of wish I'd gotten to see the look on the guy's face if he'd turned me down. I had the receipt in my pocket, and if they weren't taking them for trade, it would have been pulled out and money would have been given back.

worked for me last night, and I walked to one, bought the copies, then went across the street like 3-4 blocks and traded them in, havent played it! but im gonna do it again to get medal of honor. :/

For anyone with extra copies of these games, listen up:

I called my local FYE and was told that far cry is trading in at $27 but no guarantees beyond today as the new price dropped to $20 today.

Open season was worth $21.60

these figures are probably after tax

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']bah my BB was all out of both games[/quote]

Tritto.

Maybe I'll try hitting up KMart for different titles, although that usually ends badly for me...

I'm curious how many copies of Open Season and Far Cry have sold over the past few weeks. I wonder if ubi soft thinks they got 2 sleeper hits on the wii

I lucked out today, and was in target and saw a adventure of mandy and something for 12.49, and all I needed was another game so I went to BB to pick up an open season. Now go figure, I go to EB and they say they won't take the open season, but they will take the adventure of mandy or whatever game. Then I go to another EB and they say the same thing. So I just ask the guy, what will you take, and he states, "anything but open season and far cry." So I reply, what about wii sports, or wii play, and he replies, "yeah, wii play is ok" and I was like ??? "ok" So I go home and get my wii play as I deem it a useless game, and well worth 25 to trade in and he takes it and trades it in. After I complete my purchase, I ask him that I'm kinda shocked they take wii play. He responds "well, if you tried this one week ago, I woulda said no, but corporate just raised the trade-in value to over 10 dollars, up to 11.00 for wii play and we're taking trades for the 2 for 1 deal as low as 10.00, so I figured that since this is worth more then some of the other games people are trading in that it's ok. We just don't take wii sports, far cry, and open season now."

So try your luck with wii play and something else on clearance at target. They've clamped down on open season and far cry, but my place took wii play which was a shock in itself, and a much better deal then using far cry. It's not official, but if you get an ok sales rep, it might work.

Personally I deem the time I spent to get this deal too much time then the deal is worth, but I was just so determined after the far cry/open season got shut out, that I was gonna get SPM somehow.

I lucked out this morning at my local EB. No problem trading in my Open Season and Far Cry for Paper Mario. The clerk even took the games still in shrink wrap and didn't open either until the transaction was over.

[quote name='oldboy313'] I really love ripping off Gamestop, the worst store in America.[/quote]

Sometimes it's not just about the opportunity cost, sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe :).

I got this with Far Cry and Open Season. I got turned down at the place that had Paper Mario. So I went to another GS where I have a friend who works there. He made it happen, but didn't have Paper Mario. I got God Father instead, then went back to the original store and exchanged God Father. That little girl who looked like a little boy was pissed.

I just got lucky about an hour ago. Went into a Gamestop and managed to get rid of FC and OS without nary a look. It did help that the knowledgable salesperson went on break right before, and that the store was busy at the time. I was expecting to go everywhere (about 4 GS and EB in my area), but I saved some time because of it. The clerk did look a little surprised when they rang up as $5 each, but he didn't seem to care so much. He was actually more interested in telling me just how good SPM was :)

[quote name='edavis0780'] The clerk did look a little surprised when they rang up as $5 each, but he didn't seem to care so much. He was actually more interested in telling me just how good SPM was :)[/QUOTE]

When I did this deal for the last time (the day before the email came out) and was getting the 10% bonus for preordering + Edge bonus on top of paying off my SPM I got a stern lecture from the clerk about not having played Resident Evil 4 (he was suggesting I preorder the Wii version). I humored him as I was getting $30+ for each game in credit after all the various bonuses :lol:. (I ended up preordering NiGHTS).

Just did the deal my second time for SPM, traded in my old CoD3 and a new $15 Far Cry from Best Buy. The clerk was very laidback, only double checked to make sure the deal was still going. I think it's a slight YMMV about Far Cry and Open Season, depending on how much the employee cares about GS and reads their emails.

And interestingly enough! I was not charged paying sales tax, even though at a different location I was! These stores weren't in different states either, yet one made me pay tax while the other didn't. Granted, the store where I didn't have to pay tax also had the laidback guy, but still this makes me doubt the whole "corporate policy" crap I got at the first one. I feel like he just realized he was getting ripped off (he was the store manager), so he made me pay sales tax to atleast make a little money.

I didn't know they sent out an e-mail but I got lucky today too...sort off.

GS #1 - can't take 'em
GS #2 - "just tell me it doesn't say that on the sign" ...were gonna let me do a trade in 2 get 1 but they didn't have Wii Play (what I was trying to get)
GS #3 - can't take 'em
GS #4 - FINALLY GOT MY WII PLAY!!

Granted I know it seems like a total pain, but I actually didn't go out of my way much, surprisingly. Was already on one side of town, and worked my way back up to my house and got hooked up at the last GS I was gonna stop at ^_^

[quote name='SaMiDaDrAgOn']I'm going for a second time tomorrow with FC and OS again. Hope it works again... hmm what should I preorder?[/QUOTE]

NiGHTS

[quote name='SaMiDaDrAgOn']I'm going for a second time tomorrow with FC and OS again. Hope it works again... hmm what should I preorder?[/quote]
I ordered Nights for my 3rd FC/OS trade.
but plan to change it to Metroid Prime when it becomes available.

Summary -
2 OSs from JR with GCO deals - $11.94 each
1 FC from CC - $16
2 OS from BB - $16 ish each
1 Madden 07

So about $30.62 each...thanks to CAGs OP creativity!
Thanks! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Oh it's really more like $25.62 as I received $5 extra on each trade with the Edge and put that on my Edge card...

Guys I hate to burst your collective bubbles, but today we got a SO (store informer e-mail) adding both Far-Cry, and Open Season to the exclusion list.

Although don't give up hope quite yet, because some employees may not have read the email yet, and will stilly gladly accept your trades.

Good luck,
Your friendly neighboorhood EB Games 3rd Key.

I say it's still worth a shot. When I was with that company, I bet 75% of the employees in my district didn't read the emails. I was always religious about reading them (mostly looking for new promotions and pricedrops to take advantage of), and forced the guys working for me to be religious about it too, but most stores aren't that way. The guy who did the OS/FC deal for me definitely wasn't.

[quote name='Short Round']Guys I hate to burst your collective bubbles, but today we got a SO (store informer e-mail) adding both Far-Cry, and Open Season to the exclusion list.

Although don't give up hope quite yet, because some employees may not have read the email yet, and will stilly gladly accept your trades.

Good luck,
Your friendly neighboorhood EB Games 3rd Key.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info but this was already disclosed in the back pages.

I went today to 2 EB's and got denied, then the 3rd one accepted. They didn't let me preorder but whatever. Got Zelda and will return it eventually yo reserve a different game.

received gift reciepts with my trades. will they hassle if i go to trade in for different games/differnt systems or ask for store credit as i already have the games?

I was finally able to do this today. I was considering giving up on this deal since I had already picked up SPM at Circuit City for around 42.50, but I thought I could get it cheaper. A couple of days ago, I picked up FarCry for 19.99 at Target since I couldn't find one at BB. I tried calling most of the EB/GS stores in my area and all of them said that they weren't taking any FarCry's or Open Season's except for one GameStop that said the only game excluded from the deal was Wii Sports. So yesterday, I tried calling that same GameStop and asked about the deal again and the guy sounded like he didn't really know about this deal and said it was already over. I told him the deal was good until the 15th and he sounded confused. I asked him which games were excluded from this deal and he said he didn't know, probably only the launch titles were excluded. So I thought since the guys at this GameStop had no idea what was going on, I might be able to pull it off. After work, I stopped by BB to check if they still had Open Season and they did, so I picked one up for 14.99 with the coupon. Then, I headed over to GS with the unopened games and the guys told me they couldn't take them because they were still sealed. I told them they could open it but they said they would get in trouble if they did that and they wouldn't let me open it in the store or go out, open it, and then come back due to the video cameras rolling. They said they would do the deal but they couldn't give me a brand new game, only an opened game. I asked them if I could pre-order a game, and the guy said, "You can't trade in games for a pre-order", which is ridiculous since I know you can, but that clerk had no idea what I was talking about. So they told me there was no way I could get this deal done that day, but if I came back the next day with the games opened, I would be able to get my new free game. They also told me to try some other EB/GS stores, so I just said that they weren't accepting those games, and the clerks were stunned and tried scanning one, wondering how come, but they didn't find anything wrong.

So this morning, I called that GS again to double-check that they were still going to take these games and the clerk(different guy) said he didn't know which games were excluded because he wasn't the manager and that the manager would be there in an hour. I told him that I was there last night and I told him what happened, and he agreed that it was store policy not to take unopened games but he was surprised that they turned me down on the pre-order. I called back an hour later and the manager was there, so the clerk asked him what the excluded games were and he said there were none. I rushed down there, opened the games in the parking lot, and the clerk recognized me since I had just called, and asked me which game I wanted. I said I'll take SPM, then the manager told me it was sold out. He suggested I try the other EB, but I said I can't without explaining. He then agreed to let me do a pre-order instead of getting a new game and asked for which system. I was surprised because I assumed you could only pre-order Wii games with this deal, but they said any system is ok, so I asked them for a list of available games for Wii and PS3 and decided on Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The clerk was amazed that the trade-in value on FC/OS was $5 each and said that was a good deal and wanted to do it himself. The manager said something like doing a reservation instead of the free game wasn't something that was supposed to be done but actually could be done -- these guys didn't have a clue but I didn't want to say anything until the deal was completed. BTW, the manager happened to ask me about where I worked and I ended up telling him that I didn't have much work to do recently, so I am mostly getting paid to sleep, play games, go out shopping, watch DVDs, or surf the net (the truth). The fools were both like, "Ohhhh, I want THAT job! Are there any openings?" I said no, and that I wasn't even supposed to be there at GS and the clerk goes, "OH, SNAP!!" This deal was pretty much dead anyway and there weren't any other games I wanted, so I decided to tell these guys what's up. After the transaction was finished and I had my pre-order, I told them they weren't really supposed to do that, and they said "Well, no, it actually could be done", but I said "No, what I mean is all the other EB/GS stores around here are not accepting FC or OS for this deal." The manager goes, "There were exclusions?" Then, I told them about how people are cheating the system by buying the games for $15 at BB to get a brand new $50 game and the manager, a hardcore gangsta-looking black guy, looked at me kinda pissed and said, "You cheated me? That's not funny, man." I laughed and said everybody's doing it and I even told them how some people were buying FC/OS used, trading them back, and getting a new game, all at the same store.

So, 37.87 FC/OS incl tax + 4.11 tax for free Wii game + 10.83 difference I have to pay when I pick up NGS = 52.81 total for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I guess it wasn't that good a deal and wasn't worth the trouble, but oh well. I still laughed all the way back to work to pick up my hard-earned paycheck.

bryan78...I'm all for taking advantage of the system, and sticking it to big corporations, but rubbing it in the faces of the people you were fortunate enough to have help you is messed up. Is it not good enough anymore just to be grateful that even during the final breaths of this deal, you were able to make it work?

After they help you out, you mouth off to them about how they fucked up and shouldn't have given you the benefit of the doubt. It's just cocky and arrogant, and I honestly hope it comes back to bite you in the ass someday. You're part of the reason we'll never see deals like this again. Not because people took advantage of it...but because they couldn't do so with a shred of decency or respect.

[quote name='bryan78']blah blah blah brag brag general assholery
[/quote]

*Two months later*

Bryan : "I've come to pick up my preorder"
Hardcore gangsta : "What pre-order cracka?"

[quote name='Pookymeister']*Two months later*

Bryan : "I've come to pick up my preorder"
Hardcore gangsta : "What pre-order cracka?"[/QUOTE]

That is what I'm afraid of. I hope they don't cancel all the pre-orders that were done with the Open Season/Far Cry combo.
I can just see it now. I go in months later to pick-up my game, and they say the trades I made weren't on the list, and they give me back the Open Season/Far Cry combo that they are sure to have tons of.

[quote name='petersen98374']That is what I'm afraid of. I hope they don't cancel all the pre-orders that were done with the Open Season/Far Cry combo.
I can just see it now. I go in months later to pick-up my game, and they say the trades I made weren't on the list, and they give me back the Open Season/Far Cry combo that they are sure to have tons of.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have to worry about that, unless maybe you are Bryan78. Man, it would never occur to me to tell them they got taken advantage of (though they really didn't). Besides common decency, there is the little matter of perhaps wanting to do a deal again in the future (not to mention your preorder which might mysteriously disappear now :lol:).

[quote name='Pookymeister'][quote name='bryan78']
blah blah blah brag brag general assholery[/quote][/quote] Dang, looks like I missed out on some CAG antics that got deleted again. Oh well.

Yeah, I think I officially abused this deal (as I sometimes do) but I went to 3 different stores so I didn't do it more than twice at one place. They were all totally cool with it... 2 allowed for pre-orders. A total of 5 pairs of FC/OS ($150+tax) from Best Buy became:

Super Paper Mario
Pokemon Battle Revolution (pre-order)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (pre-order)
Big Brain Academy (pre-order)
Harvest Moon Wii (pre-order)

A couple of those pre-orders might get moved to other games sometime in the future but in any case 5 new games for the price of 3 is pretty awesome.

i called 3 gamestops in manhattan on thursday afternoon, and all of them said they'd accept any game "except wii sports" (so they would have taken wii play) and sure enough, i went to the gamestop in the manhattan mall, and traded the open season and farcry i got from jr.com for spm no problem. the woman didn't even open the sealed games...

For what it's worth (not an independent thread, I don't think), this game is available at Amazon for 10% off. For me, with no tax factored in and free shipping (Prime here), that saves almost ten bucks.

Besides, everyone hates me here, so they'd avoid a deal thread that I created. I see how it is.

My friend went to the local GS and they wouldn't do the deal because there was a slight scratch on the Open Season disc. They didn't even check to see if the disc worked or not.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']this deal ends today if anyone is still planning on doing this..[/quote]

Does it really? The website says it expires on the 15th which means to me that it's good through the 15th.

bread's done
Back