Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Predator21281']How the hell is this magical person moving and jumping and using the stylus at the same time? I just don't see it being feasible for one player.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering that, myself.

Wizard people, dear reader!

$50-100 (above the Wii) isn't really too terrible, now that I've thought about it a bit.

It's not great, but it's not a deal breaker. It's $50-100 more than a PS3 or Xbox 360 - that is, above 7-8 year old systems.

But I don't really see any games that are must haves yet - so on that end, maybe it work for me as I'll be happy to wait until I can get a 32GB for $200 before buying. But first, I want to see more than "PS3/Xbox game: WiiU edition." The Tekken video was indeed quite charming, but that doesn't make me want to buy a whole new system.

[quote name='mykevermin']$50-100 (above the Wii) isn't really too terrible, now that I've thought about it a bit.

It's not great, but it's not a deal breaker. It's $50-100 more than a PS3 or Xbox 360 - that is, above 7-8 year old systems.

But I don't really see any games that are must haves yet - so on that end, maybe it work for me as I'll be happy to wait until I can get a 32GB for $200 before buying. But first, I want to see more than "PS3/Xbox game: WiiU edition." The Tekken video was indeed quite charming, but that doesn't make me want to buy a whole new system.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I haven't seen a "wow" factor yet for this. It really is not a big enough of a technological jump for me. I consider myself hardcore but I don't even know think the next xbox/ps system will be enough of a jump for me. I am pretty satisfied with what I have now. In terms of Wii U, I don't know that casual gamers will know to want this device.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's not great, but it's not a deal breaker. It's $50-100 more than a PS3 or Xbox 360 - that is, above 7-8 year old systems.[/QUOTE]

I believe you mean 6-7 year old systems, but the point is significant. The WiiU isn't launching in a vacuum, and direct competition with the 360 and PS3 is a prime consideration. This is why I was personally thinking that a $50 lower price for the WiiU would have been more competitive.

[quote name='mykevermin']But I don't really see any games that are must haves yet[/QUOTE]

The system isn't even out yet, so... no real surprise there. No system is flush with must-have titles at launch. Especially not in the kind of competitive industry we have today. (where one or two really solid titles constitue a terrible launch line-up)

I'm still considering picking one up at launch. But then, I have always enjoyed Nintendo's first-party work, so acquiring one of these things is a foregone conclusion for me. It's just a matter of when and how much. As long as Nintendo can hold their first-party franchises hostage on their hardware, there is always going to be a market for their tech.

[quote name='mykevermin']$50-100 (above the Wii) isn't really too terrible, now that I've thought about it a bit.

But I don't really see any games that are must haves yet - so on that end, maybe it work for me as I'll be happy to wait until I can get a 32GB for $200 before buying. But first, I want to see more than "PS3/Xbox game: WiiU edition." The Tekken video was indeed quite charming, but that doesn't make me want to buy a whole new system.[/QUOTE]

I'm telling you right now:

RAYMAN LEGENDS

Seriously.

Serious.

Considering the controller has a touchscreen, speakers, video camera, and nfc, I can see why the system is so expensive. The controller is almost a fucking smartphone and those go for like $500-600 unlocked, I can see the hefty price tag.

One thing not in the box is a headset. But am I right in seeming to recall that the gamepad controller has mic/speaker? I think I'd still rather have a headset, though. Any sign of those for the system? And will they plug into the Pro controllers too?

[quote name='Predator21281']How the hell is this magical person moving and jumping and using the stylus at the same time? I just don't see it being feasible for one player.[/QUOTE]

This is showing of the asymmetrical two player gameplay, in which one player is performing the standard mario platforming using the Wii remote + nunchuck, while another is using the gamepad to interact with the environment. Rayman Legends showed the same thing, and essentially can make both NSMBU and Rayman Legends a five player game.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is there a list of compatible (or perhaps incompatible) Wii games? Would really like to know if we need to keep a Wii around too.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I think the statement of compatible with 'most' Wii games is referring to the fact that some (very limited) Wii games use the Gamecube controller slots for peripherals (such as Dance Dance Revolution dance pad), which of course would be impossible on the Wii U.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I could be wrong, but I think the statement of compatible with 'most' Wii games is referring to the fact that some (very limited) Wii games use the Gamecube controller slots for peripherals (such as Dance Dance Revolution dance pad), which of course would be impossible on the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

My hunch is that you are correct. This must be in regards to Wii games using the GCN ports.

Yeah, I want to see the quality of the screen myself, but yeah, the tablet is definitely a big part of this deal and justification for older specs being sold for a higher price

The screen quality is actually really good. Really clear.

For me, it's:
- Nintendoland (I got the Deluxe Pre-Ordered)
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Rayman Legends
- Assassin's Creed 3

And that's just what I know I want for this year. There's Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 next year that I want as well.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Has anyone seen that an extra tablet controller will be $170? They should sell this minus that and with a gamepad. Surprised they didn't think of that to have an even lower SKU for $150-200. I saw the COD presentation and you can't play split-screen. It's one player on the TV and a second player using the tablet controller. That's a lousy set up in my book.[/QUOTE]

wow 170 for the tablet?? lol.

If I did buy a wiiU I would be selling off the tablet controller day 1 and buying the regular controller and have some cash left over to buy a game or 2.

Oh crap, I've got a soft spot for Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix as well as several of the Hottest Party games. Might have to keep the Wii after all. LOL. I forgot about those.

As soon as Amazon has their pre-orders up, I'm going to order there. They are, apparently, going to have pre-orders, according to this page: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm telling you right now:

RAYMAN LEGENDS

Seriously.

Serious.[/QUOTE]

I agree. While I didn't get a chance to play it, it looks like a killer game. Probably the best use of the gamepad I saw.

Personally, I wasn't going to get it at launch even if they offered it for $199 and had the most awesome games ever. I have too much stuff from the current gen and earlier to play. That being said, I wouldn't mind owning this one at some point, and I do think the early lineup is solid.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Has anyone seen that an extra tablet controller will be $170? They should sell this minus that and with a gamepad. Surprised they didn't think of that to have an even lower SKU for $150-200. I saw the COD presentation and you can't play split-screen. It's one player on the TV and a second player using the tablet controller. That's a lousy set up in my book.[/QUOTE]

The gimmick doesnt work unless the controller is packed in with every console, otherwise its just another Vita/PS3, DS/WIi, 360/Whatever and while that does work well with the games that do in fact support that setup, it results in a single digit number of games supporting the feature, and few of them making it a centerpiece.

I doubt there will be sellouts this season, unless nintendo only ships a small amount to drum up demand, which has been done before. I'm a nintendo fan, but don't see myself wanting this that much. The whole launch effort seems lackluster compared to past console launches, so most people, myself included, know very little about it. An expensive, and possibly unnecessary controller that probably sucks batteries like crazy is a real turnoff.

Will probably pick up a few games as deals pop up or before some of the titles go OOP like they occasionally do, but won't actually buy the console for a long time without some huge deal. $300+ is too much when xbox and ps3 are still so competitive. It's not like this is some big step ahead of them like normal new consoles, but is only just catching up with HD graphics. Super Mario has become less of a blockbuster and more of a recycled format now. New zeldas will probably keep me a customer though.

Surprised no other places have this for preorder besides gamestop. I don't want to have to deal with gamestop because quite seriously my problem is that it's a fucking Sunday release.

I work in one area so going to a gamestop there would mean a 2 and a half hour drive total. If I were to go to another gamestop, it would mean I would have to add 20 minutes onto my commute home today and then again I have to have no plans on Nov 18th which is hard for me to just figure out at this time.

I may just have to preorder one tomorrow if GS is still doing preorders.

I was told at Gamestop that it's not officially available for pre-order until tomorrow. If you pre-order today it's noted as 'Available Sku #'

With a 32GB version being sold for extra does anyone else think that the system won't support SD cards? Or at the very least SD cards will have limited function?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']With a 32GB version being sold for extra does anyone else think that the system won't support SD cards? Or at the very least SD cards will have limited function?[/QUOTE]

SDHC (up to 32GB) cards are explicitly called out to work and if the 3DS is any indication, loading games from them will be transparent.

SDXC (64GB+) arent specifically called out as being compatible.

[quote name='screwkick']Just read somewhere that only the black Wii u is backwards compatible with original Wii games, and not the white Wii U? Confirm?[/QUOTE]

Reggie said Wii U (not specifically a certain sku) would play most Wii games. What games won't? Not sure.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']With a 32GB version being sold for extra does anyone else think that the system won't support SD cards? Or at the very least SD cards will have limited function?[/QUOTE]

They made no mention of taking out the SD Card slot.. In fact it's still on the box-art.

I think it will only support SDHD cards, so the largest card you can put in it is 32GBs. At E3, they also mentioned it will support USB storage devices.

[quote name='KillerRamen']They made no mention of taking out the SD Card slot.. In fact it's still on the box-art.

I think it will only support SDHD cards, so the largest card you can put in it is 32GBs. At E3, they also mentioned it will support USB storage devices.[/QUOTE]

And that includes USB HDD, as big as you want. Reggie mentioned 3 TB. I doubt that will be necessary. LOL.

Yes, Nintendo has confirmed that as far as downloadable content is concerned, the WiiU's storage flexibility is going to be more than adequate. Any and all valid forms of USB external storage will work with the WiiU, as well as SD cards. If you want to copy your Virtual Console downloads to a USB thumb-drive and play them that way, you can.

In a way, this is very good news. It means that the built-in memory will not be as pivotal in terms of which model you want to buy. At the same time, it makes the $350 model less appealing. Now the bundled game is the most significant inclusion in that package.

[quote name='foltzie']SDHC (up to 32GB) cards are explicitly called out to work and if the 3DS is any indication, loading games from them will be transparent.

SDXC (64GB+) arent specifically called out as being compatible.[/QUOTE]
Only thing that will be noticeable is the disk speeds will much likely be way faster using the SSD than the USB drive.

I am actually kinda glad they went the SSD route instead of the just big HD route (assuming they take advantage of SSD speeds). I mean as long as you can still do all updates to an external HD/SD Card I think everything will be fine because I can have 1-2 games I am playing or I always play on the SSD and then have the rest on the external.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Only thing that will be noticeable is the disk speeds will much likely be way faster using the SSD than the USB drive.

I am actually kinda glad they went the SSD route instead of the just big HD route (assuming they take advantage of SSD speeds). I mean as long as you can still do all updates to an external HD/SD Card I think everything will be fine because I can have 1-2 games I am playing or I always play on the SSD and then have the rest on the external.[/QUOTE]

Anecdotal, but NSMB2 loads from an SD card as fast as I assume it would from game cart itself. Seems like Wii U digital titles may load faster than disk based ones.

Am I the only one that thinks it is strange that they haven't mentioned the NFC function the gamepad has officially? I mean, you could see the button on some old screenshots, and then there was that strange Rayman video that never officially released, but no actually word on it.

[quote name='nbballard']Am I the only one that thinks it is strange that they haven't mentioned the NFC function the gamepad has officially? I mean, you could see the button on some old screenshots, and then there was that strange Rayman video that never officially released, but no actually word on it.[/QUOTE]

You aren't, nope. I imagine Nintendo is waiting for some proof-of-tech from their end to highlight this. I would put money on Pokemon doing so. I would have thought this would have been highlighted at launch, but supposedly the chip was added super last minute, so at best they've probably only got backroom demos right now.

They could create a whole LINE of Mii toys for the NFC. Just think, you could have celebrity Miis, and special edition Miis, and special shirts...

It would be a fucking goldmine, just Valve's hats for TF2.

Once again, why am I not sitting in a high rise office in Seattle overlooking all I survey and telling my many, many sons that one day all of this will be theirs?

Polygon just posted a bit about the NFC saying that none of the launch titles will use it, including Skylanders and Rayman. Bizarre.

[quote name='foltzie']The gimmick doesnt work unless the controller is packed in with every console, otherwise its just another Vita/PS3, DS/WIi, 360/Whatever and while that does work well with the games that do in fact support that setup, it results in a single digit number of games supporting the feature, and few of them making it a centerpiece.[/QUOTE]

Bingo - that thing needs to come with every console or it will end up being an underutilized peripheral. Also, we can expect to see qa lot of use for the NFC since that, being on the controller everyone will have, will also be in every system. I'm sure heads rolled at Nintendo after the success of Skylanders in that Nintendo didn't come up with the idea first (seems obvious for Pokemon). But I'm sure they'll make up for it now ;).

When I left in the morning after getting a quick update I didn't realize the "premium" came with NintendoLand. I was a bit peeved at having to pay $50 more for the slightly higher storage, the controller cradle (right?), and the nebulous Premium Nintendo service or whatever it is called. But since that also got the black system it seemed worth it. When I found out it also included NintenoLand that made it a no-brainer. Who would ever bother with the other one? Hopefully the premium service comes with more than just 10% back on shop purchases (as I doubt I'll ever spend that much on it - pretty much ignored the Wii shop after the first year).

So, are these 25GB game discs blu-ray, or some custom format? Seems like I'm hearing very little disussion of that.

So here was my day: planned to get up early and get in to the store around 11 am (yeah, that's early for me since I usually work till 5 or 6 am). But I'm feeling really sick so it was hard to drag myself out of bed. When I saw the $300/$350 pricing and (thought, at first) no NintendoLand I was kind of bummed but figured I'd get it anyway and we planned to do other stuff up there anyway so I had to stick to my original schedule (instead of sleeping more which I would have done based on the WiiU alone - figured I could wait till the afternoon to preorder).

As I was getting ready, the guy from my local GS actually called me to let me know they were doing the preorders, which I thought was pretty awesome of them. So I let him know I intended to come in there just in case he could save me one. He said there was no line so it shouldn't be a problem. When I got there around 11 he said no one else (besides him) had preordered yet. So, yeah, there's definitely no hoard of resellers grabbing these up like with the original Wii and I'm very glad about that. This location is kind of out of the way for most people and he said other stores are more busy getting preorders. He also suspects they will get a lot more tomorrow once people get home this evening and realize the announcement/preorder info. But, yeah, for sure this is nothing like 6 years ago :lol:.

My plan was to get only Pikmin 3 in addition to the packed-in Nintendo Land. But now I'm thinking I might have to get NSMB 2 since my 4 year-old is the perfect one to use the gamepad while me and my other son play on-screen. He can place platforms, etc, while we navigate the levels. That should work out pretty well.

By the way, the screen on that controller is pretty nice - the view you have of NSMB 2 is nearly identical to the one on the HD screen - or at least it seemed like that at the PAX booth. I think they did a great job packing that tech into a $150-$170 package. Sure, it is expensive, but it is a great little device, too. So think of it this way - the rest of the system (ie, an HD Wii, finally!) is pretty cheap since that's only $130 of the rest of the cost ;).

[quote name='KingBroly']I was told at Gamestop that it's not officially available for pre-order until tomorrow. If you pre-order today it's noted as 'Available Sku #'[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got that on my receipt too (specifically it says "020358: Available Sku 1") - but they said it just doesn't have the correct title in the system yet since the info just came out this morning. The title will change tomorrow, but obviously the SKU will be for the same item and today's preorder will still be good.

And FWIW, you only need to put down $25 if you are PUR member.

I'm a little apprehensive that they gave me the lower bundle preorder instead - can anyone else confirm what their receipt says for the $350 Premium bundle preorder? It's just that I saw a pic of the receipt on GoNintendo and it shows "Sku 2" (as opposed to my "Sku 1"). Since I figured most people are doing the more expensive one I'm a bit worried they gave me the other - though I was pretty clear about that when I preordered.

Edit: Never mind, just saw the multi-page thread in the Deals forum on CAG and saw that 020358 is the $350 bundle:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328397

Heh, and here I thought all the Wii U discussion would be in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185379

VC transfers, and the revelation of Wii mode. Well, it's not really a revelation since I told you all about it months ago.

Wii U uses a variant of Blu-Ray so they don't have to pay Sony royalty fees.[/QUOTE]

Wii mode doesn't sound good. I was hoping to be able to play VC games on the tablet, but if the system acts just like a Wii while playing VC games then I don't see that happening.

For those who are thinking there won't be much interest in the Wii U, there were 30+ folks on the call-back list for pre-orders at the GameStop I go to which is recognized as a low-volume store and is within less than 2 miles of two other stores.

I think it's safe to assume that those 30+ are the hardest of the hardcore and guaranteed to put down a pre-order, and that there there will be a second tier of pre-order interest among Nintendo fans, then a third-tier of other folks.

Factor in rumors of some manufacturing difficulties and the worldwide launch window, plus Foxconn having to deal with the iPhone 5 demand and other new products, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that if you don't pre-order soon, you may be SOL.

[quote name='Scobie']SKU 1 indicates the Deluxe Bundle. SKU 2 is for the [highlight]'Tard Pack[/highlight].[/QUOTE]

Love it! Good to see you posting again Scobie!

[quote name='Scobie']For those who are thinking there won't be much interest in the Wii U, there were 30+ folks on the call-back list for pre-orders at the GameStop I go to which is recognized as a low-volume store and is within less than 2 miles of two other stores.

I think it's safe to assume that those 30+ are the hardest of the hardcore and guaranteed to put down a pre-order, and that there there will be a second tier of pre-order interest among Nintendo fans, then a third-tier of other folks.

Factor in rumors of some manufacturing difficulties and the worldwide launch window, plus Foxconn having to deal with the iPhone 5 demand and other new products, and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that if you don't pre-order soon, you may be SOL.[/QUOTE]
Wow, damn. I am waiting on Amazon or Newegg, whatever happens first but that's just wow. I hope this doesn't turn into a Wii situation where no one can fucking find them. I mean I don't need it at launch, I really don't. Then again I don't want to have to fucking check 8,000,000 stores to try and find one or wait a year which I refuse to do.

Haha I just pre-ordered because the wife talked me into it, mainly because of what I mentioned before-I'd be able to play/watch something at the same time she does. That plus the wii trade in deal at GS pretty much sealed it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Wow, damn. I am waiting on Amazon or Newegg, whatever happens first but that's just wow. I hope this doesn't turn into a Wii situation where no one can fucking find them. I mean I don't need it at launch, I really don't. Then again I don't want to have to fucking check 8,000,000 stores to try and find one or wait a year which I refuse to do.[/QUOTE]

There's a better-than-not chance of that being the case. We'll see how the evidence builds over the next week, but I think Nintendo has a hit on their hands... again.

I've got a buddy of mine who won't be able to pre-order till tomorrow, and I'll also be checking in with my GameStop on Sunday when I pick up the Kirby 50th Anniversary Technicolor Dream Show bundle. Will try to get a sit rep from the manager then.

Anyway, the only gamble I'm taking on the Wii U launch is not pre-ordering games. After seeing so many B2G1 sales and other promos recently, I'm thinking some stores will push these kinds of deals shortly after launch.

Yeah, I don't remember any of the games being in short supply when the Wii launched - they were everywhere.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I don't remember any of the games being in short supply when the Wii launched - they were everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Yup... finding controllers and points cards got a little sporty, but games were plentiful.

There were a ton of deals on Wii games when the Wii launched or soon after during BF/holiday. And thankfully so since the only redeeming quality of so many of them was that motion control was new.

I hold out some hope that 3rd parties will do a little more this time around since the Wii surprised with its sales numbers. But it is a launch and launch games generally are cash grabs. I only feel really safe buying NintendoLand and SMB Wii U at this point.

Well if anyone in the US was interested in getting an extra tablet tough luck for the time being:

Nintendo Will Not Sell GamePad Separately In North America

All your GamePads are belong to us!

by Richard George
September 13, 2012
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/nintendo-will-not-sell-gamepad-separately-in-north-america#

When Nintendo finally revealed Wii U would support up to two GamePad controllers, one of the first questions many fans asked was "How much will one of those cost?" After Nintendo's Wii U launch presentation earlier today, I caught up with Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime to ask just that. Much to my surprise, Fils-Aime said gamers wouldn't have to worry about it - Nintendo isn't planning on selling GamePads as accessories in North America.
"We have deliberately not announced the availability of the GamePad as a separate, standalone accessory here in the United States," Fils-Aime told me. "The reason for that is simple - there are no games in the launch window that take advantage of a second GamePad. And [because of that], I want all of that hardware production to be focused on driving sales at retail.
"What I mean by that is that Wii U is a console and a GamePad together. If I were to take additional GamePads and make them available as an accessory, then I would have less Wii U console hardware to sell into retail. You know, probably one of your questions is whether I'm going to meet demand. The only way we're going to achieve that here in the Americas is to not have that GamePad accessory, so I can maximize my overall volume."
So there you go. One less thing to factor into your budget.

That makes complete sense, actually. They probably have the hardest time keeping the pads under production so it makes sense they all want them in hardware bundles. But I'm sure they will sell them separately at some point (maybe a year from now or so).

bread's done
Back