Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Also while they said it can support 2 gamepads, no games take advantage of that feature at this point anyways.

When looking at all the software so far, there really isn't a single need for the Gamepad to be there, i agree with dothog

Got mine pre-ordered, and like a lot of you, I'm holding off on pre-ordering games for now. ZombiU looks the most interesting to me, but I'm a little nervous about an Ubisoft title to be honest.

Anybody know if I'll absolutely need a Wii MotionPlus for each of my two Wiimotes? I'm having a hard time finding just the adapter and there is no way I'm buying two new Wiimotes with MotionPlus when these are barely used as is.

[quote name='io']That makes complete sense, actually. They probably have the hardest time keeping the pads under production so it makes sense they all want them in hardware bundles. But I'm sure they will sell them separately at some point (maybe a year from now or so).[/QUOTE]

Yes but what if your gamepad breaks? Then what? $300 to buy a new system to get the controller...I forsee problems.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yes but what if your gamepad breaks? Then what? $300 to buy a new system to get the controller...I forsee problems.[/QUOTE]

Um - warranty call to Nintendo just like if your 3DS/DS/Wii/Wii U console breaks? I'm seeing this argument on other sites, too, and I don't understand it.

You wouldn't want to spend $150-$170 for a new Gamepad anyway if yours broke under warranty - so that's the solution.

They will probably have them out (in stores that is) by the time people's warranties expire (a year+).

Now if it got smashed in half, and thus not covered by warranty, then you'd probably have to order one from Nintendo. That might be a pain vs. just buying a new one in store, but really, how many people are going to face that problem in the first several months?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cancerman1120']Yes but what if your gamepad breaks? Then what? $300 to buy a new system to get the controller...I forsee problems.[/QUOTE]
I think Nintendo might have replacement ones but on a you go to Nintendo support and say your controller has broken can I get it fixed type of deal.

So yeah... After saying I wasn't going to buy one at launch, I put in my pre-order tonight. The Gamestop by me has not sold anyone the basic set. The guy behind me pre-ordered the Wii U too.

[quote name='io']Um - warranty call to Nintendo just like if your 3DS/DS/Wii/Wii U console breaks? I'm seeing this argument on other sites, too, and I don't understand it.

You wouldn't want to spend $150-$170 for a new Gamepad anyway if yours broke under warranty - so that's the solution.

They will probably have them out (in stores that is) by the time people's warranties expire (a year+).

Now if it got smashed in half, and thus not covered by warranty, then you'd probably have to order one from Nintendo. That might be a pain vs. just buying a new one in store, but really, how many people are going to face that problem in the first several months?[/QUOTE]

You have not met my nephews...they will break anything. :)

So despite needing to move starting tomorrow, I preordered the Wii U Premium console at GS. I'll just change the shipping address as needed. It's really a combination of little things that forced my hand.

1. Presumably the best version of current-gen games like Assassin's Creed 3, BLOPS 2, and Arkham City.

2. All my current VC games in HD with the pro controller.

3. Many new VC games (that's an assumption that I'm betting about $350 on coming true)

Seriously though, the system seems like a winner. Apart from the N64's lack of games through the early stages of the generation, Nintendo hasn't let me down seriously thus far. The Wii was sort of meh for awhile but the VC saved it. It might not have been enough for everyone but for me, playing Link to the Past in beautiful 480p was worth the price of admission at the time. Even if this is more of the same, I think it'll be worth the relatively low entrance fee.

[quote name='Scobie']I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that if you don't pre-order soon, you may be SOL.[/QUOTE]

oh no

[quote name='Halo05']So despite needing to move starting tomorrow, I preordered the Wii U Premium console at GS. I'll just change the shipping address as needed. It's really a combination of little things that forced my hand.

1. Presumably the best version of current-gen games like Assassin's Creed 3, BLOPS 2, and Arkham City.

2. All my current VC games in HD with the pro controller.

3. Many new VC games (that's an assumption that I'm betting about $350 on coming true)

Seriously though, the system seems like a winner. Apart from the N64's lack of games through the early stages of the generation, Nintendo hasn't let me down seriously thus far. The Wii was sort of meh for awhile but the VC saved it. It might not have been enough for everyone but for me, playing Link to the Past in beautiful 480p was worth the price of admission at the time. Even if this is more of the same, I think it'll be worth the relatively low entrance fee.[/QUOTE]
I mean quite seriously, even if the Wii-U can't handle every Next Gen game from the PS4-720, I still have a PC. Part of the reason I built my PC is for gaming and well I would rather spend the money on a good PC than a PS4. The reason I don't mind getting a Wii-U is because it's different and can offer up some great game ideas that I can't find anywhere else. Also for Nintendo exclusives.

I mean with the offerings of a HD Zelda and HD Smash game, I can't say no to this just based on those two games alone.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
I mean with the offerings of a HD Zelda and HD Smash game, I can't say no to this just based on those two games alone.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I did it. As of now, I'm still going to do most of my gaming on my 360, as it's my preferred console, but I know that the Wii U will have some great exclusives.

I'm also appreciative of the value of not needing to buy piles of new controllers; being able to reuse nunchuks and wiimotes is a big value add to me. Of course, depending upon how relevant it becomes to have a second pad, I could eat those words ;)

Does anyone have a guess as to whether we'll get the AC power details on this prior to launch? Need to know whether the US unit can be run in higher voltage countries...

That's fine but I'll most likely be playing a better version of Assassin's Creed 3 than you. That alone isn't worth $300 but it's a significant value to me.

In fact, I sort of wish I hadn't jumped on the Best Buy exclusive version of Darksiders 2 due to the eventual Wii U release which would presumably include even more stuff than the limited edition. Oh well, between AC3, BLOPS2, Arkham City, and 1st party stuff, I should be fine.

EDIT - This was a response to ITDEFX, the higher MSRP is a kick in the nuts but not unexpected given the prices for 360 and PS3 games.

[quote name='Strell']Wii mode is for Wii games, not the VC.[/QUOTE]

It's VC games too. But I imagine they're going to have to update all of those emulators to future proof them for Nintendo systems. Each emulator is personally modified, so it'd take a while. This would most likely allow games to be played on the Gamepad and have Save States. I was told that this part might not be free, but a cheap upgrade instead.

[quote name='io']Um - warranty call to Nintendo just like if your 3DS/DS/Wii/Wii U console breaks? I'm seeing this argument on other sites, too, and I don't understand it.

Now if it got smashed in half, and thus not covered by warranty, then you'd probably have to order one from Nintendo. That might be a pain vs. just buying a new one in store, but really, how many people are going to face that problem in the first several months?[/QUOTE]

I don't see the controller breaking being a problem. Provided the system doesn't have a huge design flaw like the 3DS's self scratching screen. There is a slight chance you will get stuck with a faulty one or maybe one that doesn't hold a charge however this chance would be very, very very slim and I am sure Nintendo would replace in this case.

The only problem I can see is people wearing out the analog sticks on the tablet playing COD, because I have heard of people who wear out their sticks on the controller within a month or 2 of playing. With the cost of the tablet replacement could become very costly. This is mostly an FPS problem though, I do not have experience with FPS games so I am not sure why this is happening to the 360 controller. But there is also the pro controller, which is significantly less expensive than the tablet. I wonder if its possible to use the CC Pro in place of the wireless pro controller, because those controllers are like $8 at Sears if you can find one. Might want to save COD for the XBox 360, where you can get controllers for $30 on a good day if you wear through them.

It is an LCD screen so you will have to be careful that you don't drop anything on it or step on it, but that is normal for any device with a screen.

It would be awesome if it came with a hard case for the tablet though, this way it would be less likely to become damaged in a household with kids who like to abuse electronics.

For those that do yard sales who follow me in the thread I have already seen significant Wii dumping in my area (not so much consoles, but the games and accessories are ripe for the picking) so I think people are definitely ready for a new Nintendo console. I have probably seen Wii stuff at more houses than I have seen any other game system stuff, I only expect the dumping to continue at a more rapid rate.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's VC games too. But I imagine they're going to have to update all of those emulators for future advancements of Nintendo systems. Each emulator is personally modified, so it'd take a while. This would most likely allow games to be played on the Gamepad and have Save States. I was told that this part might not be free, but a cheap upgrade instead.[/QUOTE]
The fuck, upgrade my VC games I already bought :whistle2:s

Put Pilotwings 64 on the fucking VC and we will talk.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I'm going to wait this out for another 2 years...[/QUOTE]

This. I still have a backlog of Gamecube games to get through, much less the Wii :)

[quote name='Halo05']That's fine but I'll most likely be playing a better version of Assassin's Creed 3 than you. That alone isn't worth $300 but it's a significant value to me.

In fact, I sort of wish I hadn't jumped on the Best Buy exclusive version of Darksiders 2 due to the eventual Wii U release which would presumably include even more stuff than the limited edition. Oh well, between AC3, BLOPS2, Arkham City, and 1st party stuff, I should be fine.

EDIT - This was a response to ITDEFX, the higher MSRP is a kick in the nuts but not unexpected given the prices for 360 and PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

I am really not sure what your mean by "better".

I wonder how publishers, etc are gonna handle the pricing on some of these older titles outside of Blops2 and AC3. Surely they don't expect people to drop 60$ on Batman just cause its a Wii U version when its been available multiple times for 9.99 on other consoles. That's just silly, about as silly as people trying to downplay the ports by saying "oh well there teh best versionz!.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Goddamn it, excitement level is increasing. I'll probably preorder the damn thing.[/QUOTE]

^ If that lasts more than 4 hours, consult your doctor ;).

original.jpg

:hot: NoJ launch just shat all over the NoA launch

So are we going to have a Wii U subforum here? I'll be happy to make threads for most of the titles, I just did it over at another forum where I'm a mod.

Got the system and a few games ordered, gotta decide if I want a pro controller or just stick with the Classic Controllers I got as I'm fine with them.

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the classic controllers won't work with Wii U titles.

The last 24 hours have made a strong and compelling argument that my hobby of choice is 100% wrong and I should look into other options.

There are a lot of ways to interpret the above, and I'm fairly confident someone will do so incorrectly, and maybe even tell me about it.

I'm actually looking forward to the Wii U coming out, though I will probably wait until a few months after launch to pick one up. Unless I can manage to flip some games and stuff for credit to pay for one.

[quote name='Strell']There are a lot of ways to interpret the above, and I'm fairly confident someone will do so incorrectly, and maybe even tell me about it.[/QUOTE]
Nope, new consoles droppin over heah, no time for riddles.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I'm actually looking forward to the Wii U coming out, though I will probably wait until a few months after launch to pick one up. Unless I can manage to flip some games and stuff for credit to pay for one.[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much what got me to do it now, had a few games I had been meaning to trade in anyways, that plus trading in the Wii basically meant I got the deluxe for $240.

Looks like waiting would be a bad idea:

Rumor: GameStop already selling out of Wii U Deluxe Set pre-orders

September 14th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | 1 Comment » Nintendo Everything reader Andy Holland is telling us that his local GameStop is already selling out of Wii U Deluxe Set pre-orders. The manager of his store indicated that this is affecting the company as a whole.
“I just got back from my local Gamestop where I was told by its manager they are expected, as a company nationwide, to sell out of black Wii U pre-orders TODAY. If you’re interested in picking one up at your local store try to get in ASAP.”
I’ve never actually heard out of retailers selling out of pre-orders, especially one day after they become available. But Reggie did say that pre-orders have been very strong thus far… it’s always possible.

HOW MANY DO THEY HAVE FOR ALL OF GAMESTOP AS A COMPANY? 500?

I've heard rumors of manufacturing problems due to the Gamepad, but I'd be shocked if there weren't minimum 500k to 1 million systems available at launch. But then again, I can't wait for the "low shortage" nonsense everyone on the internet loves to spout.

[quote name='Erad30']Looks like waiting would be a bad idea:

September 14th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | 1 Comment » Nintendo Everything reader Andy Holland is telling us that his local GameStop is already selling out of Wii U Deluxe Set pre-orders. The manager of his store indicated that this is affecting the company as a whole.
“I just got back from my local Gamestop where I was told by its manager they are expected, as a company nationwide, to sell out of black Wii U pre-orders TODAY. If you’re interested in picking one up at your local store try to get in ASAP.”
I’ve never actually heard out of retailers selling out of pre-orders, especially one day after they become available. But Reggie did say that pre-orders have been very strong thus far… it’s always possible.[/QUOTE]

Does this include online orders too from Gamestop.com. Mine is from there and I just want to be sure they are not going to shaft me because oh I bought it online like 18 hours after we started doing preorders and we ran out of stock, sorry.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does this include online orders too from Gamestop.com. Mine is from there and I just want to be sure they are not going to shaft me because oh I bought it online like 18 hours after we started doing preorders and we ran out of stock, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Why not pre-order from someone else besides gamestop? I avoid them at all costs if possible.

Understanding that you already committed to one =(

[quote name='ebucel']Why not pre-order from someone else besides gamestop? I avoid them at all costs if possible.

Understanding that you already committed to one =([/QUOTE]
I need a place that does preorders that isn't B&M and doesn't charge your card right now. I would do Amazon or Newegg but they don't have them available so I got GS as a placeholder for now. If one of those two do preorders then I will switch.

[quote name='Strell']I've heard rumors of manufacturing problems due to the Gamepad, but I'd be shocked if there weren't minimum 500k to 1 million systems available at launch. But then again, I can't wait for the "low shortage" nonsense everyone on the internet loves to spout.[/QUOTE]

nonsense? not sure what you mean - all three of last gen consoles were super hella hard to get around launch. unless you mean nonsense in the "nintendo deliberately shorts the market" sense. which is kinda debatable.

[quote name='Erad30']Looks like waiting would be a bad idea:

I’ve never actually heard out of retailers selling out of pre-orders, especially one day after they become available. But Reggie did say that pre-orders have been very strong thus far… it’s always possible.[/QUOTE]

I'm really not surprised. The Wii has done very well (especially in America), and I think everyone remembers how difficult it was to find the original Wii at launch. Although, I do wonder if these early sales figures are going to have an impact on production. From everything I've heard, the Deluxe set is selling like crazy and no one really seems all that interested in the Basic set.

It's also the first 8th Generation Console, so there's that too. I've kinda been thinking about changing my pre-order from the Deluxe to the Basic simply because I don't care about Nintendo Land and $50 can buy me a really big external hard drive, but I dunno... I think I'll probably just keep where I am in line.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'm really not surprised. The Wii has done very well (especially in America), and I think everyone remembers how difficult it was to find the original Wii at launch. Although, I do wonder if these early sales figures are going to have an impact on production. From everything I've heard, the Deluxe set is selling like crazy and no one really seems all that interested in the Basic set.

It's also the first 8th Generation Console, so there's that too. I've kinda been thinking about changing my pre-order from the Deluxe to the Basic simply because I don't care about Nintendo Land and $50 can buy me a really big external hard drive, but I dunno... I think I'll probably just keep where I am in line.[/QUOTE]

Just waiting to see all of those anit-n64 kid videos of xmas... "What you got me the White version!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! I'll be the laughing stock... at school."

also in japan 2nd controler is 1/2 the price of the console Ouch!

Since I'm still not convinced that Amazon will actually get these, I pre-ordered something from GameStop for the first time since State of Emergency (Yes, I was one of those people. fuck off.). It felt... not great.

Still, the guy seemed pretty sure they were shutting off Deluxe pre-orders today, and that I was guaranteed a launch day system. I was only #23 on the list, though, so... uh... honestly, if this is all true, GameStop may not be getting a ton of these.

And, fuck it, I was set on buying the black console even before the Deluxe announcement, so it worked out.

The local best buys are starting to sell out of black too. My immediately local one had them earlier in the day, and now doesn't. That's for buying online for in-store pickup. I don't know if they still have them for pre-order in-store.

I imagine the white non-deluxe is still readily available, but I don't really know.

bread's done
Back