Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='maximumzero']Not me. I made that mistake this generation. I bought a Wii, and then later when I found a Xbox 360 for $30 I bought one of those too.

In the end I've got like four times the number of Wii games that I do 360 games, and my 360 doesn't get much use outside of Netflix.

So this generation I'm sticking with one console, the Wii U, and one handheld, the 3DS.

And I can guarantee you that I'll have more games available to me than I'll have time to play.

What about it?[/QUOTE]

na you are just a nintendo fan boy and don't open your world up to all games like most true gamers do

if i was nintendo i would be flaming over rayman being put on other systems. You would think nintendo and ubisoft would have signed a contract when it was going to be a exclusive. When it comes down to it who really cares howwell a system sells if you like it you like it. Trust me i have loved so many games people hated upon hated and im happy i played those games.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']na you are just a nintendo fan boy and don't open your world up to all games like most true gamers do[/QUOTE]

If calling me a fanboy helps you sleep at night, go for it.

The fact of the matter is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both fine consoles with great libraries, but I only have so much free time between a social life and ten hours of work a day, so I have to make my gaming choices carefully.

(Also you may want to try to get the period, comma, and shift keys on your keyboard looked at.)

[quote name='maximumzero']If calling me a fanboy helps you sleep at night, go for it.

The fact of the matter is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both fine consoles with great libraries, but I only have so much free time between a social life and ten hours of work a day, so I have to make my gaming choices carefully.

(Also you may want to try to get the period, comma, and shift keys on your keyboard looked at.)[/QUOTE]

He's really not worth responding to. It's better to hit that ignore button. :)

I swear some of the newer CAG members give me head-cramps when trying to read and decipher their posts. Thank god for the ignore feature on CAG.

I feel kind of stupid getting caught up in the hype :( I have played my wiiU 3 times since I bought it. Was wondering if anyone feels the same way with the announcement of Rayman on all consoles is pretty crappy :/.

I don't really care if its launched on all consoles. The Wii U version should be the best one. Im more annoyed that they delayed the game for no reason.

My playtime on Wii U has petered off quite a bit in the last 2 months, mainly because of back catalog from the holidays. I imagine next month my playtime will increase though, with Monster Hunter and NFS.

I'm more ticked that we STILL don't know anything about Pikmin 3's release date. That game should've been out by now.

[quote name='Deader2818']I don't really care if its launched on all consoles. The Wii U version should be the best one. Im more annoyed that they delayed the game for no reason.[/QUOTE]

This. I don't care what consoles they put it on, I just wanted a new WiiU game this month.

I wonder if it's worth me picking up Lego City right before Monster Hunter since it only comes out a day before and other then that one day I'm not sure how often I'll get to it since MH will take up a majority of my time for quite a while.

[quote name='KingBroly'] I'm more ticked that we STILL don't know anything about Pikmin 3's release date. That game should've been out by now.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to worry that it might get pushed to the holidays. I thought for sure they would announce the release date the other day via Nintendo Direct.

[quote name='KingBroly']
I'm more ticked that we STILL don't know anything about Pikmin 3's release date. That game should've been out by now.[/QUOTE]

CAM00007.jpg

And no, I have no idea where this image came from or if it's legit... so grain of salt.

Also Pikmin's date is a Wednesday which means it's probably a placeholder.

Anyone else double dipping Monster Hunter? I travel a lot for work now, so being able to grind on site/on long plane rides sounds great on 3DS, then when I get home take my new loot online :D (also, an excuse to turn on the WiiU :D )

[quote name='Zmonkay']Anyone else double dipping Monster Hunter? I travel a lot for work now, so being able to grind on site/on long plane rides sounds great on 3DS, then when I get home take my new loot online :D (also, an excuse to turn on the WiiU :D )[/QUOTE]

I'm really tempted and have a pre-order in on Amazon for the $20 off deal.

I will probably keep the order and try the 3DS version a bit to see if it's worth keeping.

It would be great if the transfer process is streamlined where you can transfer your character relatively fast without any hassle.

I really like the PSP version (offline only), but I had the most fun with the Wii version of Monster Hunter because of the online play. Interacting with people using a USB keyboard makes the game really fun. I actually learned most of the game through the help of random players (armor bonuses, enemy strategies, secret locations, etc). Most of the people you meet online are very helpful and will answer any question you have.

Like you I'm excited of the idea of taking an offline character online. :D

When the game comes out it we should made a thread on CAG for people that want to play together.

I think I'll probably try to find a ZombieU bundle tomorrow. With Monster Hunter coming out next month, as well as Zelda: WW HD on the horizon, that is enough to cement my decision.

I have this sickening feeling they're going to push Pikmin 3 to the holidays, which sucks, because so many of you guys were sold on Pikmin 3 being a launch window title.

[quote name='SEH']My bad. I don't listen to the podcast. To me, your post just came off as a blanket statement toward PC gaming in general. I apologize for the misunderstanding.[/QUOTE]
No prob man.
I forgive you.
At least you're not cheapy D.

On topic: I think it could have been a good move for Nintendo buy THQ or pick up some of it's properties.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I think I'll probably try to find a ZombieU bundle tomorrow. With Monster Hunter coming out next month, as well as Zelda: WW HD on the horizon, that is enough to cement my decision.[/QUOTE]

If system sales figures are any indication, I'll predict a price drop in < 90 days. They need to do something to garner attention for the system, and the pricepoint just isn't cutting it.

[quote name='mykevermin']If system sales figures are any indication, I'll predict a price drop in < 90 days. They need to do something to garner attention for the system, and the pricepoint just isn't cutting it.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I might just get a 3DS XL instead, and Fire Emblem. I enjoy my 3DS but think the larger XL would be more comfortable. I might do that and hold off on a Wii U for now. Nintendo still gets my money either way, lol.

I don't sense a pricedrop until after E3 in June. I'm thinking that only by then will Sony and MS introduce a price point and solid release date on their next-gen consoles. Nintendo isn't feeling any pressure now despite lower than expected sales numbers.

I just think Nintendo needs to get the price to $299 and either they or the stores can bundle stuff with it to make it more enticing... by the time PS4 and NextBox come out (for at least $100 more), Nintendo will have more must-have games out anyway.

I doubt Nintendo cuts the price. When they cut the price of the 3DS, they could afford to do it. They were making a profit on every unit then. Now, Nintendo isn't making a profit on Wii U. Cutting the price would put them in the hole even further and would cause more doom and gloom.

I honestly think they should just ditch the Basic, make the Deluxe $299 and remove all of the Stands and Digital Deluxe Promotion and make Nintendoland a digital copy (which they're already doing with the ZombiU bundle). I assume that'll make the system profitable.

The biggest problem is lack of software. Once the blockbuster games start dropping for the platform and Nintendo still can't sell the thing, then we can talk price cuts.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Hmmm... I might just get a 3DS XL instead, and Fire Emblem. I enjoy my 3DS but think the larger XL would be more comfortable. I might do that and hold off on a Wii U for now. Nintendo still gets my money either way, lol.[/QUOTE]

I'd go with the Wii U now if you want Monster Hunter since it's going to have online play and the ZombiU bundle is a pretty good deal if you wanted that game (and the controller works with MH). Plus, you already have a 3DS so that won't allow you to play any new games, but it is true that in the end they are getting your money :p.

Just remember guys, Best Buy has a Buy 1, Get 1 50% off sale this week, and it works on pre-orders. Perfect for Monster Hunter and Lego City. They don't have Need for Speed Most Wanted available though :(

[quote name='KingBroly']Just remember guys, Best Buy has a Buy 1, Get 1 50% off sale this week, and it works on pre-orders. Perfect for Monster Hunter and Lego City. They don't have Need for Speed Most Wanted available though :([/QUOTE]

might be my first wiiu purchase since launch

Anyone else having problems with their Wii U's wifi? I'm convinced it isn't a router problem and is something in with Wii U (I have no problems with other wifi enabled devices). The internet signal on my Wii U cuts out every few seconds, it's annoying. At this point, I'm ready to smash the gamepad against the wall.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Anyone else having problems with their Wii U's wifi? I'm convinced it isn't a router problem and is something in with Wii U (I have no problems with other wifi enabled devices). The internet signal on my Wii U cuts out every few seconds, it's annoying. At this point, I'm ready to smash the gamepad against the wall.[/QUOTE]

ive had mine since xmas and play it a few days a week, no wifi issues at all so far. connected to an asus router fwiw

[quote name='Blaster man']Question about the Wii u for owners. Can you play original Wii games on the tablet with the TV set to something else or is that Wii u only?[/QUOTE]

Who cares? It doesn't matter. The Wii U is already a dead system, right?

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Anyone else having problems with their Wii U's wifi? I'm convinced it isn't a router problem and is something in with Wii U (I have no problems with other wifi enabled devices). The internet signal on my Wii U cuts out every few seconds, it's annoying. At this point, I'm ready to smash the gamepad against the wall.[/QUOTE]

I know some people were having router issues depending on their connections. Do a google search for it. I know setting it up manually solved the problem.

In other news, I sort of wish I hadn't spent money on the system. I like it and all, but I a) Don't play it a lot right now and because of that b) could have waited on a price drop or Monster Hunter/Wonderful 101/Bayonetta 2, etc.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Who cares? It doesn't matter. The Wii U is already a dead system, right?[/QUOTE]

Please, find where I said the Wii U is dead. I've never said such a thing nor do I believe it. I believe it will sell fine at $250 after its price drop.

Back on topic, anyone know?

[quote name='Blaster man']Please, find where I said the Wii U is dead. I've never said such a thing nor do I believe it. I believe it will sell fine at $250 after its price drop.

Back on topic, anyone know?[/QUOTE]

When playing Wii games the WiiU is emulating the process, so everything is just like if it were on the Wii. So nothing WiiU would work.

[quote name='Deader2818']You can find out the answer after you buy it when it price drops for 250.[/QUOTE]

LOL! You guys really can't take it. It's not my fault it's not selling. It's Nintendo's.

[quote name='Blaster man']Question about the Wii u for owners. Can you play original Wii games on the tablet with the TV set to something else or is that Wii u only?[/QUOTE]

There is a dedicated channel on the Wii U that allows you to go into Wii mode.

After you select the channel the system reboots into the Wii interface and the Gamepad controller turns off.

Think of it as you have two consoles in one (Wii U, Wii) and you can reboot between the two.

This is also how you access any virtual console game you may have transferred from your Wii or purchase in Wii mode.

Although it doesn't offer Gamepad functionality, the Wii U allows me to play my Wii games through a HDMI port and makes the games look slightly better in my opinion. I'm currently playing through DKCR. :D

[quote name='antlp89']There is a dedicated channel on the Wii U that allows you to go into Wii mode.

After you select the channel the system reboots into the Wii interface and the Gamepad controller turns off.

Think of it as you have two consoles in one (Wii U, Wii) and you can reboot between the two.

This is also how you access any virtual console game you may have transferred from your Wii or purchase in Wii mode.

Although it doesn't offer Gamepad functionality, the Wii U allows me to play my Wii games through a HDMI port and makes the games look slightly better in my opinion. I'm currently playing through DKCR. :D[/QUOTE]

It actually has Wii hardware in it that's seperate from the Wii U stuff right?

[quote name='ZForce915']It's all emulated.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect, the Wii U chipset is backwards compatible with Wii by design. Just like the Wii booting into Gamecube mode, the Wii U reboots into Wii mode when playing Wii games.

Wii mode is 99% like owning a Wii. There are no new features. Menus are crisp at 1080p but games do not look much better. Maybe there's more disk space. You cannot play on gamepad or pro controller - you must use Wii remotes and your TV.

You can't download certain channels in Wii mode (e.g. Netflix, Amazon). Discs take forever to spin up. No Gamecube support. That's about it. I think.

//I forget who asked
//BTW I am loving my Wii U (though there's not enough storage). I was conflicted as hell for a while there. It'd be nice to have more games, and they are coming, but I have so many wii games to finish it's silly.

Ubisoft just posted a video about Rayman on their Rayman facebook page. I'm at work, so I can't really see what it's all about. Something about daily challenges or something.

Ubisoft is releasing a Challenge Mode thing for Rayman Legends in April. It's going to be an eShop exclusive. It'll feature 5 levels, have online play and weekly challenges.

That's a really smart PR move if the content remains free and can offer enough meat until the official release.

Sucks that it's not going to be until April but that's really cool that it is free and has online play.

That's what I told him at first but he was very adamant about going wireless for some reason, I'm going to try to see if I can get him to do that though, since it does seem like he would safe a few bucks and would get a better connection out of it overall.

EDIT: We changed a bunch of his settings, and he's able to log online and see his friends list/use the web browser, but whenever he tries any other app/game it says he can't connect due to being offline (even though he passes the test). Then when he moved it into the room with the router he had full bars and was able to use everything, so one of those range extenders should help since it seems to be a distance thing. Also, for some reason he is able to play normal Wii games online since we tried Monster Hunter Tri to see if it worked, and it did for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back