Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='io']I don't see how I could even use the Wii U without the cradle. I'm not even sure how it charges otherwise. I guess a USB cable or something? Is it like the PS3 where the system has to be on to charge? That would never work for me since we sit 10 feet or more from the console when playing. With PS3 controllers I can swap them around (play on one, charge on the other). Obviously that doesn't work with the Wii U gamepad.

Even if it charges while off, I have no good place to put the pad where the system is - the stand gives it a spot and saves space.[/QUOTE]

I plug it into the wall. It's usually charging when I'm playing.

What's the point of having a cradle AND a stand? Couldn't you just sit it on the cradle?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='moothemagiccow']I plug it into the wall. It's usually charging when I'm playing. Basically I just don't have the stand.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see - you can use the AC adapter directly to the pad. That would be nice for when the battery runs low. As it is, we just have to stop playing then because I have the adapter threaded to the back of our entertainment system and it isn't easy to get out.

But for general use, having a cord running across the room with little kids running around wouldn't work ;). That's why I like the cradle - it is kept WELL up high and away from all that.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Just a heads up for those that didn't get it on PS+ recently, but Retro City Rampage finally came out today for 1000 Wii points, for those people who still have points to burn on their Wii U in Wii mode.[/QUOTE]

Can you not use the points towards Wii U games? I have 4000 points on my Wii and when I get my Wii U later this week or next week I was hoping that after transferring Wii to Wii U that I could put those towards the new Super Mario Brother Wii U as I have already bought every game I want out of the Wii virtual console. If not I hope they release something worthwhile again to the Virtual Console.

Got an email about new updates/content coming to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U:
Capcom today confirmed that following the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Nintendo's Wii U system on March 19, a software update will be released a month later (in April) as a response to community feedback.

The software update will add online cross-region functionality, allowing North American and European gamers to play together online in up to four-player battles*. Monster Hunters will also be able to play the game using just the Wii U GamePad without the need for a TV screen as the software update makes the title compatible with off-TV play.

Capcom will be continuing to support Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for several months after release with additional free of charge downloadable quests. The first quest will be available at launch.
[quote name='brernurse']Can you not use the points towards Wii U games? I have 4000 points on my Wii and when I get my Wii U later this week or next week I was hoping that after transferring Wii to Wii U that I could put those towards the new Super Mario Brother Wii U as I have already bought every game I want out of the Wii virtual console. If not I hope they release something worthwhile again to the Virtual Console.[/QUOTE]
Wii points are only usable on the Wii Shop.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Got an email about new updates/content coming to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U:

Wii points are only usable on the Wii Shop.[/QUOTE]

Well that kind of sucks, but I am sure I will find something to spend them on otherwise I guess I could always gift my nephews some games.

Since brernurse posted that offer I looked at the wii U and realized has anyone recieved any eshop credit from buying games online yet through the promotion only avaliable to the 32gb Wii U? Haven't heard anyone talk about it.

I am still annoyed that they never offered the fucking ZombiU edition here at launch but they did Europe. I would of bought that, and seeing I have the WiiU, Zombi U but no Pro Controller, I would of loved it.

I have a question, what controller has the best d-pad. Regular Wii U gamepad or Pro Controller? I am figuring out which solution I would rather play Tekken with. Controller or my TvC stick. I don't really like the joystick on the TvC stick, I might need to swap it out sometime.

[quote name='diazt350']Since brernurse posted that offer I looked at the wii U and realized has anyone recieved any eshop credit from buying games online yet through the promotion only avaliable to the 32gb Wii U? Haven't heard anyone talk about it.[/QUOTE]

Well since I won't have my Wii U till Monday (hopefully) I have not yet got any points but I did read this on Nintendo's site about how it works and it appears it is not automatic but requires some doing on your part, so if you have not gotten any you might want to check out this info below from this link: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/features_ddp.jsp

To participate in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. Purchase a Wii U Deluxe Set.

2. Create a Nintendo Network ID on the system.

3. Buy digital games from the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

4. Sign in to the Deluxe Digital Promotion website with your Nintendo Network ID and password 24 hours after downloading from the Nintendo eShop.

5. Check your Points balance.

For every 500 points, you will receive a code that can be redeemed for $5 in credit in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.

6. When your Points balance reaches 500 or higher, request a download code.

7.Redeem the code in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS to add $5 onto your current balance.

[quote name='Mad D']Picked it up. Didn't realize it was full of that many references (It's all references). Still have 3100 points left and I'm going to hate having that odd number of points remaining.[/QUOTE]
If you were a fan of the original, then Bubble Bobble Plus! is a good 600 point game that will round off your total to a nice even number. Some import NES games are 600 as well, such as the Lost Levels.

[quote name='brernurse']Well since I won't have my Wii U till Monday (hopefully) I have not yet got any points but I did read this on Nintendo's site about how it works and it appears it is not automatic but requires some doing on your part, so if you have not gotten any you might want to check out this info below from this link: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/features_ddp.jsp

To participate in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, you will need to complete the following steps:

1. Purchase a Wii U Deluxe Set.

2. Create a Nintendo Network ID on the system.

3. Buy digital games from the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

4. Sign in to the Deluxe Digital Promotion website with your Nintendo Network ID and password 24 hours after downloading from the Nintendo eShop.

5. Check your Points balance.

For every 500 points, you will receive a code that can be redeemed for $5 in credit in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.

6. When your Points balance reaches 500 or higher, request a download code.

7.Redeem the code in the Nintendo eShop on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS to add $5 onto your current balance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I didn't even know about the site I completely forgot about it haha. Seems like I have 3 pts only right now. Haha.

Will be downloading Trine 2 and others later one so hopefully I get some eshop credit from that.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']If you were a fan of the original, then Bubble Bobble Plus! is a good 600 point game that will round off your total to a nice even number. Some import NES games are 600 as well, such as the Lost Levels.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I forgot that imported games are a dollar more, that should even things out.

Right, so I have no fucking idea what I used for a password for my Nintendo network ID that I made way back in Nov. and haven't had to enter since. Does anyone remember the restrictions (like alphanumeric only, and min number of characters)? That will help me remember which of my password variants I might have used ;).

The link for forgetting your password just tells you to recover it on the Wii U. But I don't want to do that since I am currently getting logged in without issue there and don't want to hose that up - so I need to figure it out for the DDP site. I'm guessing the restrictions on password creation must have been a little strange because none of my usual passwords are working.

My Balloon Fight post-play survey is up on Club Nintendo, so I should have an active eShop account. But maybe 30 cents is not enough to make the account active. Anyone else with just a Balloon Fight purchase able to get to the DDP site?

[quote name='diazt350']Thanks I didn't even know about the site I completely forgot about it haha. Seems like I have 3 pts only right now. Haha.

Will be downloading Trine 2 and others later one so hopefully I get some eshop credit from that.[/QUOTE]

No problem I came across it when I was doing some research on the promotion, as I was considering buying a used system on Craigslist, but luckily I found this deal before going that route much better Deal! I plan to buy all the first party games via digital along with some other games I will likely plan to keep forever, but other games that I will play through once I will be buying via disc, so the 2 year 10% back will add up to be quite the savings!

[quote name='io']Right, so I have no fucking idea what I used for a password for my Nintendo network ID that I made way back in Nov. and haven't had to enter since. Does anyone remember the restrictions (like alphanumeric only, and min number of characters)? That will help me remember which of my password variants I might have used ;).

The link for forgetting your password just tells you to recover it on the Wii U. But I don't want to do that since I am currently getting logged in without issue there and don't want to hose that up - so I need to figure it out for the DDP site. I'm guessing the restrictions on password creation must have been a little strange because none of my usual passwords are working.

My Balloon Fight post-play survey is up on Club Nintendo, so I should have an active eShop account. But maybe 30 cents is not enough to make the account active. Anyone else with just a Balloon Fight purchase able to get to the DDP site?[/QUOTE]

If you don't figure it out before my console arrives (hopefully Monday or Tuesday) I will be sure to take note as I create mine and let you know.

[quote name='io']Right, so I have no fucking idea what I used for a password for my Nintendo network ID that I made way back in Nov. and haven't had to enter since. Does anyone remember the restrictions (like alphanumeric only, and min number of characters)? That will help me remember which of my password variants I might have used ;).

My Balloon Fight post-play survey is up on Club Nintendo, so I should have an active eShop account. But maybe 30 cents is not enough to make the account active. Anyone else with just a Balloon Fight purchase able to get to the DDP site?[/QUOTE]

You can say "I Forgot Password" option on the Wii U, reset the password (never went through this myself), but after that in the settings for your NNID account on Wii U you can choose the option to never enter the password and log in automatically on the console.

[quote name='DK745']You can say "I Forgot Password" option on the Wii U, reset the password (never went through this myself), but after that in the settings for your NNID account on Wii U you can choose the option to never enter the password and log in automatically on the console.[/QUOTE]

You can do this the password will be sent to your email associated with your account. I've done this twice since I've forgot my password. Be sure to not to put the wrong password over and over since it will lock you from going online for a while. Not sure how long but it just said try again later.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']omg firmware[/QUOTE]

Apparently it's to address the system crashes. Hopefully that does the trick.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement the spring update does in regards to the UI load times.

Just registered mine and the only restriction was length 6 to 16 characters nothing else was specified.

[quote name='DK745']You can say "I Forgot Password" option on the Wii U, reset the password (never went through this myself), but after that in the settings for your NNID account on Wii U you can choose the option to never enter the password and log in automatically on the console.[/QUOTE]

I was already doing that which is why I forgot my password (I never needed it to log in to the Wii U). But now I need it for the DDP site to check my points. I haven't bothered since I last posted though. All I've bought is Balloon Fight so it's not like I need to check my point balance all that urgently ;).

[quote name='moothemagiccow']started without asking, took like 2 minutes[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for the info. Wonder if it's because it's so small or because the servers are better/fixed since last one.

Hey Guys, I am planning on getting a Wii-U later this month. Just have a few questions.

Costco here in Canada currently has 2 bundles, Black Wii-U with NSMBU and either a Wiimotion+ and nunchuk or a Wii controllerPro.

Which bundle do you think is more worthwhile to get?

I currently only have 1 Wiimotion+ wii mote, and 2 regular ones. Also have a classic controller pro.

I plan on playing NSMBU, Nintendoland and MH3G as my main 2 games to start off. Would I be better off getting a Pro controller or a 2nd WiiMotionPlus?

Or would I be better off getting the ZombiU buundle that has a Pro controller and buying NSMBU separately?

[quote name='Hovercraft']Hey Guys, I am planning on getting a Wii-U later this month. Just have a few questions.

Costco here in Canada currently has 2 bundles, Black Wii-U with NSMBU and either a Wiimotion+ and nunchuk or a Wii controllerPro.

Which bundle do you think is more worthwhile to get?

I currently only have 1 Wiimotion+ wii mote, and 2 regular ones. Also have a classic controller pro.

I plan on playing NSMBU, Nintendoland and MH3G as my main 2 games to start off. Would I be better off getting a Pro controller or a 2nd WiiMotionPlus?

Or would I be better off getting the ZombiU buundle that has a Pro controller and buying NSMBU separately?[/QUOTE]

What is the cost on the bundles? My hunch is the one with NSMB and the Wiimote+, but without price it isnt clear.

Zombie U is probably available at a Gamestop if you want to save some monies.

[quote name='foltzie']What is the cost on the bundles? My hunch is the one with NSMB and the Wiimote+, but without price it isnt clear.

Zombie U is probably available at a Gamestop if you want to save some monies.[/QUOTE]

The one with NSMB and a Wii+ was 469.99 so not really a good deal. Ended up getting ZombiU bundle +NSMB

Has anyone had problems getting on the Assassins Creed III online servers for mutliplayer last weekend? I couldn't find a game, and when I did it booted me off (along with everyone else). I kept getting put in "limited mode". It was the first time I booted up ACIII, so I'm left to wonder, is it the Ubisoft servers or is it my Wii U that's the problem?

Also, I'm not using WiFi. I have an Ethernet cable hooked up via USB.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's a lite sim game.

The Wii U needs more of a focus on original eShop games than "Me, too" ports of games on other platforms.[/QUOTE]
Jesus christ yes. I mean I refuse to pay anything for games like Trine 2 when I got them free with PS+ and they will be in the eventual Steam indie bundle somewhere :lol:.

If Nintendo gets original good Wii Shop games that are not gimmicks I am all for it.

I wish the WiiU would be getting the amount of JRPG games that the 3DS is getting. I mean as of right now, I seriously don't need a PS4 (too expensive probably) and really most of the console gaming I do nowadays is JRPG's or Japanese games not found on PC.

[quote name='Halo05']I'll be happy enough if the relaunch of the Virtual Console is impressive. My hopes are very conservative at the moment.[/QUOTE]
Not just a relaunch but they keep adding new Virtual Console games. Still waiting for motherfucking Pilotwings 64.

Zen Pinball 2 is out next week:
Zen Pinball 2 will be available for download on the Nintendo eShop on Wii U next Thursday, March 21, 2013 as a free platform download for all users, including free trials for each table and a huge library of exciting pinball tables for purchase, including the Super Hero themed Marvel Pinball™ series, and the zombie themed Plants vs. Zombies™ table.

Zen Pinball 2 on Wii U will release with a huge content library available, including three Marvel Pinball packs, a collection of Zen Studios’ original designs, and several individual tables:

• Zen Classic Pack featuring Tesla, El Dorado, V12, Shaman
  • Marvel Pinball featuring Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man
  • Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles featuring Marvel’s The Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, World War Hulk, Fear Itself
  • Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue featuring X-Men, Thor, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight
  • Individual DLC Tables: Excalibur, Earth Defense, Sorcerer’s Lair, Paranormal, Mars, Epic Quest, Plants vs. Zombies, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Civil War

[quote name='moothemagiccow']There's a chasing aurora demo now, and I dont know why'd anyone buy this game

You just fly in small circles[/QUOTE]

Isn't that basically NiGHTS Into Dreams gameplay though? That's still pretty popular (the Saturn version, that is).

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Isn't that basically NiGHTS Into Dreams gameplay though? That's still pretty popular (the Saturn version, that is).[/QUOTE]

Yea- but Nights was an attempt to rationalize why we needed the Analog stick on the Saturn over the 8-direction control. It is a tech demo and (in my opinion) it doesn't hold up.

bread's done
Back