Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Deader2818']Maybe we should change the name to "Wii HD"[/QUOTE]

If they wanted to keep the Wii branding they should have called it the Wii 2. EVERYONE would know what that means. I'm not sure if your sarcastic comments are implying that the "Wii U" is a good name?

They should have done a super bowl commercial. It could have gone something like this:
Commercial opens, kid's playing Mario on the console. Dad comes into the room and says, "Hey Jr. it's time to watch the Super Bowl, you gotta turn off your Wii." Jr replies, "Dad, this is the Wii 2!" - now switch to play on the gamepad and dad turns on the Super Bowl. Kid continues to play his game and dad's watching sports. Mom comes in and says, "Hey, now that we have this Wii 2, can I still use WiiFit?" and the kid says, "Oh yeah, it does everything the original Wii does too!" - now flash a bunch of casual friendly stuff on screen. "It even does all our apps but better because it's HD!" - Now flash netflix, hulu plus, and a bunch of other popular apps on the screen for a second.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']im not being sarcastic - maybe you guys should get jobs marketing video games[/QUOTE]

Operations, but I would consider a move should the opportunity appear.

Well, you could make the same commercial no matter what the name is.

In all honestly though, I really could care less what anyone calls their console. Hell its not like calling it the Xbox 360 made any kinda sense.

[quote name='Deader2818']Well, you could make the same commercial no matter what the name is.

In all honestly though, I really could care less what anyone calls their console. Hell its not like calling it the Xbox 360 made any kinda sense.[/QUOTE]

One bad naming convention or commercial doesnt justify another. MS was able to do advertising in such a way that everyone knew what it was. Xbox 360 is a stupid name. I couldn't believe it when I first heard it since that's a complete circle and implies its the same original Xbox.

I heard on my podcast that MS used "360" because Sony had the PS3 and they couldn't stand having a #2 when the other guys had a #3. I wonder if that's actually what happened?

[quote name='Blaster man']I heard on my podcast that MS used "360" because Sony had the PS3 and they couldn't stand having a #2 when the other guys had a #3. I wonder if that's actually what happened?[/QUOTE]

Is this a secret podcast?

[quote name='blitz6speed']So the controller for the video game system you purchased does not have a battery issue unless you play video games on it. Makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I have said on here in the past that the battery life is an issue. I was making a point that Sarah was coming up with extraneous reasons put down the Wii U that were really not problems - e.g., battery life when using something like Nintendo TVii. When using that feature, you are more likely to use it a bit, place it on the cradle while watching something, then use it again later - so it will always be near a full charge. So the battery issue is not really a problem there. For long gaming sessions it sure as hell is and I never said otherwise.

[quote name='io']I have said on here in the past that the battery life is an issue. I was making a point that Sarah was coming up with extraneous reasons put down the Wii U that were really not problems - e.g., battery life when using something like Nintendo TVii. When using that feature, you are more likely to use it a bit, place it on the cradle while watching something, then use it again later - so it will always be near a full charge. So the battery issue is not really a problem there. For long gaming sessions it sure as hell is and I never said otherwise.[/QUOTE]

You seriously expect people to use the wii u gamepad, pick a channel, GET UP OFF THEIR ASS, put controller on cradle, then go sit back down and watch content?

:lol: yeah, if I wanted 1978 TV technology I'd go buy me an old set.

I think someone is assuming everyone keeps their cradle on the end table next to their gaming chair, which probably is not the case for most.

It's definitely not what I would be doing with the game pad, my point was if you used TVii and then put down the Gamepad, assuming you can't turn off the screen or quickly put it into sleep mode somehow it could drain the battery in the time it takes to watch one TV show. If I was using the game pad I would be checking on it and putting it down next to me on the bed, then maybe checking on it 1-2 hours later, and I definitely wouldn't be plugging in another cord and stringing it across the bed just so it could have enough power to last through my TV watching session. Yes I am lazy, and there is no couch or sitting place in my room except for my desk chair, so i wouldn't be getting up and putting the game pad back on the charger till I was done watching TV. Even then I would have to remember to plug it in after I am done watching so I would have enough power for the next day.

If I wanted to chat with people during the Tv show and have the game pad on the whole time it would likely die before I am done watching Tv. I believe one of the touted features of this is being able to chat with people during a TV show right? Moreover assuming I am watching TV with the thing and playing games with it during the day as Nintendo says I am supposed to, I would have to charge it twice a day, once before I played games and once after so I would have enough power to get through my nightly TV watching session. Assuming the battery has 500 charge cycles and 365 days in a year charging twice a day would shorten battery life dramatically and I would probably have to purchase a new battery after a year because my original would be dead, this costing me money.

[quote name='Deader2818']Oh im not saying it does. Im just saying I personally couldn't care less what they name their systems.[/QUOTE]

You're 100% right. There have been a lot of fingers pointing at the name as a problem.

Electronic product names haven't generally been very descriptive. iPad is a terrible name. iPod makes no sense either. Samsung Galaxy S III is just a few steps away from Uncle Tezuka's Astounding Communications Device.

^ I remember the Internet laughing collectively about the name "iPad" and we can all see what little harm that caused Apple ;).

As for the Gamepad issue: actually, Corvin, someone put their cradle way up on the mantle next to the TV (and a good 10 feet from where I usually sit). (As an aside, I only do that because I have little kids - don't want that thing anywhere near their grasp. But if I didn't, I would plug it in in a much more convenient location - why wouldn't you? It doesn't have to be near the console so why put it there if you don't need to?). It probably doesn't run down nearly as fast doing TVii as when you are playing a game anyway. I did forget about the whole "chat while you watch thing". But still, you could put it back during commercials, breaks, etc. What, you are going to watch 3+ hours of one thing and chat the whole time?

I just don't see it being as much of an issue vs. actual game playing where the usage is much more intense and it is much harder to charge while playing. My only point is that on the long list of problems the Wii U has, this one (that is battery life with respect to Nintendo TVii and other non0game usage) is pretty damn far down the queue. And of course the number of charges it has remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt it only has enough life for 2 charges per day for 1 year. That would be seriously lame. I'm still using rechargeable batteries for Wii and 360 remotes that I bought nearly 10 years ago (and used for other things before those remotes). They've been charged way more than 500 times.

I will say this: it is a race between the Wii U Gamepad and the Vita for which has a shorter battery life - at least in my experience... To me it is a much bigger issue with a (completely) handheld system. And yet I don't see too many people crying about that on the Vita. Why is that?

These threads are starting to get ridiculous though. This one has been barely hanging on for a while. If any other mod besides me even bothered to check it, it would have been nuked long ago ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chimpmeister']Pretty sad that the best Nintendo can do is compare the Wii U to the original Wii. They're in their own little world it seems.[/QUOTE]

What are the suppose to compare it to? PS3 and 360?

Can't compare to the PS4 and 720 since they arent released.

Also the problem people is saying that Nintendo hasn't done a good enough job informing the public between the Wii U and the Wii.

Think before you speak please. I know you hate Nintendo but this just makes you look dumb.

A good friend of mine was just telling me a story how his son got Skylanders for Wii for his birthday but they didn't have a Wii console to play it on (they had no console). He went out to the store and was sold a WiiU because he just had no idea there were two completely different consoles. It is a huge marketing problem, IMO.

[quote name='io']^ I remember the Internet laughing collectively about the name "iPad" and we can all see what little harm that caused Apple ;).

As for the Gamepad issue: actually, Corvin, someone put their cradle way up on the mantle next to the TV (and a good 10 feet from where I usually sit). (As an aside, I only do that because I have little kids - don't want that thing anywhere near their grasp. But if I didn't, I would plug it in in a much more convenient location - why wouldn't you? It doesn't have to be near the console so why put it there if you don't need to?). It probably doesn't run down nearly as fast doing TVii as when you are playing a game anyway. I did forget about the whole "chat while you watch thing". But still, you could put it back during commercials, breaks, etc. What, you are going to watch 3+ hours of one thing and chat the whole time?

I just don't see it being as much of an issue vs. actual game playing where the usage is much more intense and it is much harder to charge while playing. My only point is that on the long list of problems the Wii U has, this one (that is battery life with respect to Nintendo TVii and other non0game usage) is pretty damn far down the queue. And of course the number of charges it has remains to be seen, but I seriously doubt it only has enough life for 2 charges per day for 1 year. That would be seriously lame. I'm still using rechargeable batteries for Wii and 360 remotes that I bought nearly 10 years ago (and used for other things before those remotes). They've been charged way more than 500 times.

I will say this: it is a race between the Wii U Gamepad and the Vita for which has a shorter battery life - at least in my experience... To me it is a much bigger issue with a (completely) handheld system. And yet I don't see too many people crying about that on the Vita. Why is that?

These threads are starting to get ridiculous though. This one has been barely hanging on for a while. If any other mod besides me even bothered to check it, it would have been nuked long ago ;).[/QUOTE]

I guess its a bigger issue for the Vita because you can't replace the Vita's battery yourself, you would have to take it somewhere and have the battery replaced and based on what I have seen at shops around here that offer a similar service that would run you about $60-80 and you don't even know what kind of battery they will put in it. If they put a lithium ion battery from some cheap place in china in there that they sourced on ebay for like $3, there is also the risk of having the battery explode, catch on fire, or perhaps catch fire while it is in your pocket. This is a pretty big issue for a handheld system that you spent $250-300 for.

At least with the Wii U you can open it up and replace the battery yourself and you will hopefully be out only $10-15 for a new battery, assuming the battery could be purchased directly from Nintendo and you won't have to worry about problems later on down the line. Nimh batteries that you buy for the Wii and 360 controllers are a completely different battery chemistry than the lithium ion pack that is in the Wii U. Some Nimh batteries can last literately forever if you take care of them, especially the eneloops they make nowadays that are good for 1500 cycles which most people will probably never reach. I have had a set of NIMH batteries in my 360 controller since thanksgivnig 2012 and I have not had to recharge them yet.I don't know the exact number of recharge cycles estimated for the Wii U battery pack but for most lithium ion batteries its 500 cycles per battery. I guess we will just have to wait and see if people start complaining about dead or dying batteries in 1-2 years time.

I can confirm that you probably won't be able to just plug in the system if you have a dead battery because I had a GBA SP with a dead battery and if you plugged in the system the light flashed once and nothing else happened, but even if your gamepad battery had just a little bit of power left you could probably plug it in and use it that way.

[quote name='Deader2818']What are the suppose to compare it to? PS3 and 360?

Can't compare to the PS4 and 720 since they arent released.

Also the problem people is saying that Nintendo hasn't done a good enough job informing the public between the Wii U and the Wii.

Think before you speak please. I know you hate Nintendo but this just makes you look dumb.[/QUOTE]

Its better to compare it to PS3 and 360 than the completely outdated joke-of-a-console Wii!!! Seriously, its embarassing . . . and apparently you're the only one who can't see that. Carry on with your excuses, they're pretty funny really.

I think you missed a few points here.

One, Nintendo doesn't see themselves in competition with Sony or Microsoft which is why they have not out right compared the Wii U or even the Wii to what their systems do. They stopped bothering with that with Gamecube.

Two, again, the thing people have been going on about is that Nintendo has not done a good enough job letting people know what the difference between the Wii U and the Wii are, they do that now, and yet, you want to cry foul because they don't market the difference between a Wii U and a PS3/360?

Hell, Sony and Microsoft don't even compare their systems to each other because really, there isnt much different besides games.

But them again, this is Chimpmeister who has already made it clear several times that he just hates Nintendo and all they do.

They could make a system that blows Sony and Microsoft out of the water spec wise, and he'd still hate them.

[quote name='Deader2818']I think you missed a few points here.

One, Nintendo doesn't see themselves in competition with Sony or Microsoft which is why they have not out right compared the Wii U or even the Wii to what their systems do. They stopped bothering with that with Gamecube.

Two, again, the thing people have been going on about is that Nintendo has not done a good enough job letting people know what the difference between the Wii U and the Wii are, they do that now, and yet, you want to cry foul because they don't market the difference between a Wii U and a PS3/360?

Hell, Sony and Microsoft don't even compare their systems to each other because really, there isnt much different besides games.

But them again, this is Chimpmeister who has already made it clear several times that he just hates Nintendo and all they do.

They could make a system that blows Sony and Microsoft out of the water spec wise, and he'd still hate them.[/QUOTE]

Except the document they prepared is really embarassing and ludicrous. Wii U plays Wii U games? REALLY? Wii U uses the Wii U gamepad? U DON'T SAY!!! The way the whole chart was made up was beyond amateurish!

As for Nintendo making any even remotely cutting edge or competitive hardware, it's been pretty evident for many years that they are incapable of doing that. They just don't have the technical knowhow or engineering skills do do that, on handhelds or home consoles, and haven't had it for years.

Hey, you know whats funny? If you read pamphlets and what not on PS3 and 360, it always says that they play PS3 and 360 games!

Holy shit, you mean most people in the world are retards and don't know that?

You guys want to act like this shit is new and embarrassing but every fucking company does it, lol.

Hell, my PS3 holiday bundle from this years says right on the back of the box "This Playstation 3 system is designed to play Playstation 3 format software"

I'd say the pamphlet is definitely a little bit awkward but as Deader says, the point of it was to address one of the big complaints people have: Nintendo not differentiating the Wii U from the Wii. The execution might not have been all that great, but hey, at least they are trying ;).

[quote name='io']I'd say the pamphlet is definitely a little bit awkward but as Deader says, the point of it was to address one of the big complaints people have: Nintendo not differentiating the Wii U from the Wii. The execution might not have been all that great, but hey, at least they are trying ;).[/QUOTE]

Meh, silly to have it at PAX, but its just fine for a retail store. No worse than the sides of the various editions of Windows, Office, Tax Software, or Limited Edition games ;-)

[quote name='foltzie']Meh, silly to have it at PAX, but its just fine for a retail store. No worse than the sides of the various editions of Windows, Office, Tax Software, or Limited Edition games ;-)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, agreed - it was dumb at a place where there are gamers who already know the difference. They should be posted at places like Target, etc. But maybe the point was to tell the "hardcore gamers" that they were addressing the issue. And hey, if it generates some free pub, then why not?

[quote name='io']I'd say the pamphlet is definitely a little bit awkward but as Deader says, the point of it was to address one of the big complaints people have: Nintendo not differentiating the Wii U from the Wii. The execution might not have been all that great, but hey, at least they are trying ;).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. They need to explain the difference between the two consoles. The reason I called the flyer "silly" was I believe it was horribly done. It's comical. They should have at least used check marks on both, it would have looked much more professional then. That's what really makes it stand out. It's like they're hoping you miss the little bullet points and think that the Wii does nothing....

I can think of no other reason to do it like that other than to hope it fools people.

I agree too, but I don't think this was the proper way to go about it, marketing is a problem with this system as most casuals think the Gamepad is an add on for the original Wii, just like people thought the Wii fit was standalone software and you didn't need the console to play it. Especially at a convention where pretty much everyone knows what the Wii U is already.

[quote name='SaraAB']I agree too, but I don't think this was the proper way to go about it, marketing is a problem with this system as most casuals think the Gamepad is an add on for the original Wii, just like people thought the Wii fit was standalone software and you didn't need the console to play it. Especially at a convention where pretty much everyone knows what the Wii U is already.[/QUOTE]

The only real applicable use (other than perhaps Nintendo gauging the response to the adverts) is second hand marketing, where the people at PAX took it home to show their less savvy family members.

Not saying that would be a strong point (as I'm sure many of them ended up in the trash shortly afterwards), but I know if I got one, I'd at least consider that possibility, as I've had a few questions already on it.

In short, Nintendo is still bad at advertising, but at least they are trying to differentiate the two systems. Back in the NES / SNES days, only the dedicated gamers had to know the difference between the two consoles (which they were well aware of), though it's a different market nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Sony / Microsoft versions of this style of advert down the road.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']The only real applicable use (other than perhaps Nintendo gauging the response to the adverts) is second hand marketing, where the people at PAX took it home to show their less savvy family members.[/QUOTE]

That seems overly optimistic. I haven't bought one, because I don't think it's worth it yet. Why then, would I tell people to buy it?

Basically, they have to convince me first, and people like me are the same people who would attend PAX.

Yeah, if anything, I think Sony/MS will have an even harder time convincing "casuals" to buy their new system over their perfectly workable (and dirt cheap in comparison) current systems. At least the Wii U does have significant upgrades over the Wii and is sort of a no-brainer purchase if you want to move into HD.

But those companies will have a much larger contingent of fanboys that will snap up the new system anyway so maybe they are just counting on riding that momentum. I'm sure Nintendo was counting on the same thing but so far has fallen short.

[quote name='io']Yeah, if anything, I think Sony/MS will have an even harder time convincing "casuals" to buy their new system over their perfectly workable (and dirt cheap in comparison) current systems. At least the Wii U does have significant upgrades over the Wii and is sort of a no-brainer purchase if you want to move into HD.

But those companies will have a much larger contingent of fanboys that will snap up the new system anyway so maybe they are just counting on riding that momentum. I'm sure Nintendo was counting on the same thing but so far has fallen short.[/QUOTE]

Yes but the ps4 will have 4k support. So you can use your $25,000 TV! 4k probably won't be widely adopted by the time the ps5 is released.

[quote name='Blaster man']Yes but the ps4 will have 4k support. So you can use your $25,000 TV! 4k probably won't be widely adopted by the time the ps5 is released.[/QUOTE]

PS4 games won't even be in 4k.

[quote name='Deader2818']PS4 games won't even be in 4k.[/QUOTE]

I believe that was his point.

4k screens are a really neat, really pointless creation. At least pointless currently.

[quote name='elessar123']Wii U is getting neither the Frostbite 3 nor Unreal Engine 4.[/QUOTE]

I read that too. I wonder if they'll add in Wii u support? That will significantly limit 3rd party games from being ported.

Nintendo will fold by the end of the year. There will never be another Mario, Zelda, Metroid, whatever again and all of gaming will rejoice that this dinosaur has died so we can get some real games.

[quote name='Deader2818']Nintendo will fold by the end of the yercasnar. There will never be another Mario, Zelda, Metroid, whatever again and all of gaming will rejoice that this dinosaur has died so we can get some real games.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm noted; however they certainly haven't designed and managed their recent hardware sales well at all. Iwata will be gone by the end of the year, if not sooner. Maybe they'll hire some engineers who know how to design good hardware, too!

[quote name='blitz6speed']3x of 0 is still 0.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, so you mean to say that the Wii U is not selling any systems at all, this report is just BS and they are just using fake numbers to make it look good?

makes perfect sense i guess.

Wii U price drop!
april-fools-day-9-290x300.gif

[quote name='Blaster man']Wii U price drop!
[/QUOTE]

If it resulted in another 20 free VC "ambassador" games I would be completely accepting of that result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back