Wiimotes hard to get at launch?

[quote name='lebowsky']I went to my local Wal-Mart today to find out what the hell is going on with the Wii launch. To my surprise, they had Wiimotes, Nunchuks, Classic controllers, and Wii points cards all on display and for sale....or so I thought.

I went up to the counter to buy my new found booty, only to find that they woudn't scan. Both controllers rang up as "Item not for sale." She said that they weren't in the inventory system yet.

I was so pissed! So close!

BTW, that Nunchuk is freaking small![/quote]

Wiimote GET!

My wife just picked me up a Wiimote and Nunchuk. They are finally scanning in at Wal-Mart. She called me on her cell and said that the cashier told her they shouldn't even be selling them yet - so I'm hoping she ended up getting them. She hasn't called me back at least to give me sad news.

She did give me some other alarming news though. There are already 3 people lined up at that Wal-Mart for the Wii. When I went yesterday, the lady told me that they would be getting 20 Wiis. Things aren't looking good for me at that location.

EDIT: Denied again! They scanned in at electronics, but they would not scan at the main register. God damn it!

I'm just hoping stores get more accessories next week; EB has none, and I'll want to get remotes there and nunchuks at BB or CC. I would imagine they should.

Two controllers should be enough for the first week, though a third would be nice, and my friend will probably get one of his own even though he's not getting a Wii yet. But four will be necessary for our Wii party on Black Friday.

My fiancee asked if I'd like to go to BestBuy tonight and help her find a flash drive. Realizing that this was my chance to check for Wiimotes, I grabbed my stack of GGCs that I'd been saving for launch and drove over. We eventually found the flash drive, and we were heading over to the DS section so I could point out possible Christmas gifts. And that's when I saw the shelf. I leaned over and said, "I'll be right back." I dashed out to the car, picked up the GGC cards and coupons, came back and loaded up.

I grabbed 3 Wiimotes, 3 nunchuks, and 2 classic controllers. I could barely hold all of them in my arms, so one of the workers offered to get me a basket. Meanwhile another worker loads me up with all the free Wii stuff (catalog, brochure, and the demo DVD). I've got 4 guys (groomsmen) coming over on Sunday for a launch party, and the thought of not being able to get enough controllers has been freaking me out the past few days. Yeah, I'm not worried anymore. :D

[quote name='botticus']My Best Buy is only getting half the number of Wiimotes as consoles, and a third the number of nunchuks as Wiimotes.

And EB has zero extra controllers beyond preorders (knew I should have preordered a third set). Thank God for weekly replenishments.[/quote]weird, i called GS and they said they don't take preorders for accessories

[quote name='banpeikun']weird, i called GS and they said they don't take preorders for accessories[/quote]They did when they took preorders for systems. I doubt they would now.

[quote name='banpeikun']weird, i called GS and they said they don't take preorders for accessories[/QUOTE]
They do but they're not taking any more reservations on the controllers. They cut off reservations on the accessories about 2-3 weeks ago. Once the item is released, there is no more reserves on that product so you'll have to wait until they get them in.

[quote name='iazybandit']So those who got the Wii, was it hard to find controllers?![/QUOTE]

I got an extra wiimote, but they were out of nunchuks. (I was #16 out of 20)

If I walk in when Target or Best Buy opens and try to get and extra Wiimote and Nunchuck (and Zelda) am I going to be able to? Or are all the controllers reserved for those in line?

All the wiimotes at my midnight eb games sold out :( Wiimotes at Walmart this morning sold out. Gotta go check BB at 9 AM I guess, hopefully they got em.

At my Target, the 60 people with console tickets were given first refusal of all accessories and games. They had everything roped off from the general shoppers. I guess after the consoles were sold the remaining accessories and games would go in the regular display cases. Surprisingly, a lot of people in line ahead of me were purchasing Zelda, but not thinking ahead to purchase and additional wiimote and nunchuck (I did, along with a classic controller and points card).

There were still a half dozen remotes, nunchuks, and classic controllers at the Target I stopped at. All sold out of consoles.

[quote name='coolz481']At my Target, the 60 people with console tickets were given first refusal of all accessories and games. They had everything roped off from the general shoppers. I guess after the consoles were sold the remaining accessories and games would go in the regular display cases. Surprisingly, a lot of people in line ahead of me were purchasing Zelda, but not thinking ahead to purchase and additional wiimote and nunchuck (I did, along with a classic controller and points card).[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the people at the front of the line weren't too concerned about having to play with friends ;)

But ya, I got extra controllers at BB (as I have an Amazon Wii coming), and there definately weren't many left last night.

The FYE I pre-ordered at only had several extra Wiimotes but only two additional nunchakus - both of which were mine because I called in the night before to reserve a pair. Booya!

As I probably reported earlier, there were a half dozen of every controller at Target at 8:30 in the morning, but I don't know if that lasted long. There was only one remote and one points card at Walmart this afternoon.

I walked into Target this morning at 8:30 (they opened at 8a) and they still had Wii consoles left! I already had mine and didn't want to be a jerk and keep some kid from getting his. But anyway I digress they had plenty of controllers and nunchucks left, so yay me. Then my wife was kicking my butt at Wii Baseball so maybe the extra controller wasn't a good idea

There was definitely more Wii Remotes then there was Nunchuks. I couldnt find any nunchuks and when I did, greedy bastards hogged them all up and only left Wii Remotes. Luckily a friend who preordered his Wii at Nintendo World Store was nice enough to get me a Wii Remote (even though I had to buy one now to play) and a nunchuk! Gotta pick it up from him tomorrow.

[quote name='louieknucks']I had to order mine from the Nintendo.com store because they are nowhere to be found where I'm at.[/quote]

yeah same here... I was lucky to at least find 3 remotes so wii sports will work for now....

I ordered 3 nunchuks from nintendo.com and checked my order status...

they are on backorder :(

[quote name='mrbigjonstud']yeah same here... I was lucky to at least find 3 remotes so wii sports will work for now....

I ordered 3 nunchuks from nintendo.com and checked my order status...

they are on backorder :([/quote]

I also ordered a remote and nunchuck yesterday and on my order status screen it says it's backordered as well.

Went to 6+ different stores yesterday and nobody had Wiimotes. One of the EB's I stopped by said they didn't get any accessories.

Oh well...I'll have to order one of these sometime down the line.

anyone have any luck today finding wii remotes at best buy?

i went to one so far and nothing.

gotta check 2 more.

Nothing here either... I figured those two items would be the hard to get items come this holiday after the initial reports at Best Buy allotments.

Hopefully the second wave of shipments allows some of us to get them.

Nunchuks all gone everywhere, B&M (at least here) and online. Remotes were to be had yesterday up until around lunchtime, but then gone too.

I got the extra remote I needed, but I'm still hurting for a nunchuk.

I wasn't even thinking about it when I preordered my Wii @ GS, and I only preordered an extra remote. When I went to pick it up yesterday, they told me they only received as many accessories as were preordered. Hopefully they'll have some more in on Tuesday when I go to pick up NFS:Carbon. They also didn't have that yesterday either. :p

[quote name='crewj']do you guys think third-parties will create their own wiimotes?[/QUOTE]

No. Not unless Nintendo lets them. It's proprietary wireless technology, like the 360 and PS3 use. They'd have to either reverse engineer it, or license it to make their own.

Hopefully accessories get stocked by Wednesday. I'll be very annoyed that I passed on any I saw yesterday; got a Wii party on Friday, so I'm hoping to have any extra set for a total of three.

I looked on ebay out of curiosity and it is ridiculous... ppl are paying up to 80.00 for a complete controller and like 40 for 1 nunchuk... I wish I had some to sell because now is the time to cash in...

[quote name='psunami']No. Not unless Nintendo lets them. It's proprietary wireless technology, like the 360 and PS3 use. They'd have to either reverse engineer it, or license it to make their own.[/QUOTE]

When did Bluetooth and IR become Nintendo propriety wireless technologys?

I have two sealed Wiimotes if anyone wants to trade for compnent Wii cables or cash.

[quote name='psunami']No. Not unless Nintendo lets them. It's proprietary wireless technology, like the 360 and PS3 use. They'd have to either reverse engineer it, or license it to make their own.[/QUOTE]

I'd be REALLY scared of a 1st generation reverse engineered 3rd party Wiimote/Nunchuck. There's no way they'd get it totally right...

[quote name='Michaellvortega']When did Bluetooth and IR become Nintendo propriety wireless technologys?

[/QUOTE]

It's not "standard" Bluetooth and IR. I think it's their own technology using those wireless technologies.

I may be wrong though...

My TRU had 108 Wiimotes for 200* Wiis, with 60 nunchuks and a similar number of classic controllers.

*that may not include the preordered ones, if that's the case it's for 146 Wiis

Just picked up a set of Wiimote and nunchuck from KMart in Hayward, CA (regular price). They seemed to have a bunch in the back, but nowhere on the sales floor.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a set from Best Buy soon to get some GGC action.

[quote name='pellucidity']My TRU had 108 Wiimotes for 200* Wiis, with 60 nunchuks and a similar number of classic controllers.

*that may not include the preordered ones, if that's the case it's for 146 Wiis[/QUOTE]

I know the BB I got mine from only had like 40 Wiimotes and 20 Nunchucks for 160ish Wiis. Got mine on the Saturday before launch, and they were sold out by 5 PM on Saturday, well before anyone in line got any.

Why would stores be getting fewer nunchucks then Wiimotes? From what I say at the Toys R Us I got my Wii from they have an equal number.

bread's done
Back