Woot (and other) video game shirts

lilman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
-Purpose of Thread-
This thread will be used for posting limited-time availability custom video game inspired shirts (that was a mouthful). There are a lot of websites that sell video game inspired tshirts, but this thread will only be used to alert CAGs to shirts that are available for a limited time and/or at a special price.

Please post a link to whatever video game shirt you come across and include the game that inspired it (like "Mario"), the price if it isn't indicated in the website description below, and if possible a pic of the shirt (use spoiler for the pic to speed up page loading time).

Visit teemagnet.com for tracking the shirt of the day across multiple websites.

-----------------------
-Websites Info-

shirt.woot.com
Cost: $12 (shirt of the day) or $15-18 (after that day). This includes shipping and there is no tax (unless you live in TX).
Availability: Cheaper the day it comes out but is only available in a limited quantity on the first day. Shirt remains available at $15 for as many weeks as it is popular. Afterwards it goes into the catalog for $18.

teefury.com
Cost: $10 + $2 shipping.
Availability: Only for a day. Sale begins at 12am EST and lasts for 24hrs or until stock runs out.

riptapparel.com
Cost: $10 + $2.95 shipping.
Availability: Only for a day, but I don't think there is a stock limit.

theyetee.com
Cost: $11 + $3.85 shipping.
Availability: Only for a day, but I don't think there is a stock limit.

6dollarshirts.com
Cost: $6. This includes shipping.
Availability: Shirt remains available after being shirt of the day, but shipping is no longer free.

onceuponatee.net
Cost: $12 + $3.69 shipping.
Availability: Collections are available for a week. They also have a limited inventory of older prints available in their vault.

If you want to include other websites here, pm me the website link, a description, and the standard price(s) so I can add it to this post.

-----------------------
-Sizing Info-

Some people like to get shirts from online stores one size larger than the shirts they normally buy (like if you usually wear medium, buy large) since they can shrink a bit after the first wash. Unfortunately it's hard to come up with a general rule as sites seem to change shirt brands at any time.

Always look at the site's sizing chart before making a purchase. It may even give you a hint if you should buy one size larger than normal. If in doubt, I go one size bigger and shrink as necessary. Imho a slightly bigger shirt looks better than wearing a slightly small one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suddenly... TeeFury
http://www.teefury.com/
1348863840_bot-peach.jpg

I have no idea what NBA logos look like, but those definitely look like sport shirts of some kind. If not basketball, it's still technically a mashup of sorts.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Are you sure about that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you look up the logos of the NBA teams, then you'll see it. I was teeting on the brink of getting or not, and ultimately decided against it. Too cluttered for my tastes. I do love the idea and design of it, though.

Mario Combat was earlier today on Qwertee.com. I bought it on impulse because it's Mortal Kombat and Mario, amazing combo.

Sadly their shipping is high

The Yetee is doing a $7 grab bag today ($9 for 2XL). You get one shirt at random.

I am considering it, but my luck is I get the one shirt I either own or don't want :lol:.

[quote name='unwittytitle']I Certainly wasn't anticipating an Earthworm Jim shirt today[/QUOTE]

Mashed up with Bruce Campbell's character from the evil dead series at that!

Earthworm Ash... I just had to bite. I promised myself no more shirts until the Boo/Kratos one was live. *sigh* teefury and riptapparel, making my wallet cry $10 at a time.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I'm tired of mash-ups, but that one has my approval.[/QUOTE]

Huh? That's what's all of these shirt sites are all about.

[quote name='outerfox']Earthworm Ash... I just had to bite. I promised myself no more shirts until the Boo/Kratos one was live. *sigh* teefury and riptapparel, making my wallet cry $13 at a time.[/QUOTE]

FTFY

[quote name='Romeo']Huh? That's what's all of these shirt sites are all about.

FTFY[/QUOTE]

Not all the shirts are mash-ups. Plenty of the designs are just references and homages. For example, InkOne is one of the most popular artists on shirtpunch and most of his designs are pretty straightforward representations of a single theme, like his ongoing TMNT series.

http://www.shirtpunch.com/
Oct-23-Welcome-Vault-Hunter_SP2MensMainMockup1_a5d.jpg

and
http://www.riptapparel.com/
dr-pikabotnik-detail_cached_thumb_-928107ac47da4bc345a3edd84ac43cf3.jpg

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']since when does $6 dollar shirts charge $2 shipping on their daily shirts?[/QUOTE]

Happened about a month ago. For a couple of days they even raised the $6 shirts to $6.99

[quote name='Romeo']Huh? That's what's all of these shirt sites are all about.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It's boring. I prefer when people actually have original designs instead of just giving something dressed as something else.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Exactly. It's boring. I prefer when people actually have original designs instead of just giving something dressed as something else.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to 2012. Seems this is all the shirt sites sell now. The reason, I'm guessing, is that these type of designs sell better then purely original designs.

Except that the majority of what is popular on Woot! is original designs. 12 of the top 20 shirts there don't involve any references to pop culture, and I don't see any mashups there.

I guess with video games you get a lot of mashups because it is the easiest way to be creative with it. Course, it helps if it goes together and not just two random references mashed together. For example, the two at the top of this page (71) are good mashups, imo, while I think the Pokemon/Sonic one is a little weak.

What's popular on Woot is Doctor Who, Star Wars, Nintendo just like everyone else. That's why you see specific rules in the derby to eliminate the the temptation to push the boundaries of copyright.

Mash-ups happen mainly because it's a safe grey area for artist to use intellectual properties in their designs.

I'm not going to hate. They are in the business to make money. But there was a time I bought a shirt from teefury every other day. Haven't seen anything to my taste in a long time which is disappointing.

I'd love someone to say "ok we aren't doing mash ups any more" but I'd worry how long they would be able to support themselves.

Has anyone ordered a button from shirtpunch? I think todays Wayne/Kent design would look really good on one but am wondering about the quality.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Exactly. It's boring. I prefer when people actually have original designs instead of just giving something dressed as something else.[/QUOTE]

If you haven't checked out Design By Humans, give them a shot: http://www.designbyhumans.com/

They don't do mashups very frequently at all, and they have a great selection of cool shirts. Some of the shirts are quite odd, though, so consider yourself warned!

I am hooked on the various shirt of the day sites, but DBH is my favorite from an artistic and quality standpoint. YMMV, of course. Happy hunting!

Dave

I've actually been there and I like quite a few of their shirts, but they unfortunately don't carry my size (and their shirts are prone to slight shrinkage). I mean, I could wear a 2X, but I don't for the sake of society.

[quote name='dave in the basement']If you haven't checked out Design By Humans, give them a shot: http://www.designbyhumans.com/

They don't do mashups very frequently at all, and they have a great selection of cool shirts. Some of the shirts are quite odd, though, so consider yourself warned!

I am hooked on the various shirt of the day sites, but DBH is my favorite from an artistic and quality standpoint. YMMV, of course. Happy hunting!

Dave[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave.

There are some cool designs and the prices and shipping are way better than some of the other custom tee sites out there, although a bit more than the sites mentioned in this thread.

Do you have any thoughts on the shirt quality? They make it sound like they source their own. I tend to consider American Apparel shirts to be the pinnacle of quality as far as custom sites go. Do these DBH ones stack up?

[quote name='elessar123']The Blanka battery looks broken, and 2/3rd full. Who does their battery meters that way?
[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I like the concept but that battery needs to be actually dead.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Thanks Dave.

There are some cool designs and the prices and shipping are way better than some of the other custom tee sites out there, although a bit more than the sites mentioned in this thread.

Do you have any thoughts on the shirt quality? They make it sound like they source their own. I tend to consider American Apparel shirts to be the pinnacle of quality as far as custom sites go. Do these DBH ones stack up?[/QUOTE]

I have bought shirts from most of the usual suspects, and the DBH shirts seem to be the highest quality. I did rip a few stitches on one of the collars on one of them whilst taking it off during an exercise session, but that was more my ":hot:OMG I am going to die, get it off of me!:hot:" fault than the shirt's.

They are definitely a little more expensive, but I find them to be worth it. And they have sales from time to time, so that also helps. Between my son and myself, it looks like I have bought 10 shirts from them. (Much to my wife and my closet's chagrin.)

bread's done
Back