Worst Excuse for Non-Paying Bidder?

unforeseen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
What is the worst excuse a non-paying bidder has given you?

I'll start.
Since Toshiba announced that they are quitting the format war, some people have been going crazy.

I sent an invoice 3 days after this auction ended:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110223552751

Here is the response I received today:
"Due to the recall of all HDdvd's this item no longer has value."

I think that ignorant comment deserves immediate negative feedback.

***UPDATE***
Filed a dispute and received FVF. The NPB now is no longer registered on eBay.

The non-paying bidders I've had went AWOL, and never responded to any emails. But, that excuse you got is really lame.

[quote name='klwillis45']Since they are doing a recall, ask him where you can return it and get compensation. :dunce:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all HD DVD owners would love to get compensated for a "recalled" HD format.

[quote name='unforeseen']Yeah, all HD DVD owners would love to get compensated for a "recalled" HD format.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? This is like one of the best times to own an Hd-DVD player. Well, aside from the format being discontinued, you can get good quality Hd movies for dirt cheap.

[quote name='Rig']Worst excuse?

"I am dead."

;)[/QUOTE]

I am dead and I am sending this message from hell.
I would still leave negative feedback (kicking a dead horse).

[quote name='JLazzuri']Are you kidding? This is like one of the best times to own an Hd-DVD player. Well, aside from the format being discontinued, you can get good quality Hd movies for dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

I would agree if I had not bought the 360 add-on. I would have preferred a heavily discounted stand-alone HD DVD player on the cheap.

Mine would be "I need your address."

This is of course after he got an invoice from me with my address, an email sent with my address and after he said the post office returned his money order due to a bad address I sent it to him again. Only to be asked for it again. NPB filed and approved.

Wish I had saved it, but it was along the lines of "Due to my spine surgery next week, I am on a lot of meds and prescriptions, and I just had no idea what I was bidding on." The guy even offered to send me pictures of his spine (which I declined.) After I did a little research though, it turned out the guy would buy and resell on ebay, and I guess the game he bought from me wasn't going to pull the cash he expected.

Poorest excuse I got was from an account with over 300 FB from selling who said he didn't get paid from a few sales so that meant he couldn't pay me. He ended up paying a few days after I filed the NPB report which wasn't completely unexpected by me. Gave me positive FB. :shrug:

Probably the best excuse I got was a guy who said he was planning to use an AMEX gift card to pay but PayPal won't accept them. I did some googling and sure enough they don't. I suggested he use the gift card to buy a postal MO but if he didn't want to do that I would have mutually agreed to not complete the sale since he did have a reasonable excuse IMO. But I never heard from him again so I did the full NPB thing.

[quote name='LuisRM']Mine would be "I need your address."

This is of course after he got an invoice from me with my address, an email sent with my address and after he said the post office returned his money order due to a bad address I sent it to him again. Only to be asked for it again. NPB filed and approved.[/quote]

I've had a couple of those in the past where somehow the post office would mysteriously return the money order 3-4 times :nottalking:.

Also had someone not pay for a bundle of sports games for Xbox after telling me his Xbox started shooting sparks after he placed the bid :whistle2:s. Which if true, it seriously had to be a act of god.

[quote name='Negative']Wish I had saved it, but it was along the lines of "Due to my spine surgery next week, I am on a lot of meds and prescriptions, and I just had no idea what I was bidding on." The guy even offered to send me pictures of his spine (which I declined.) After I did a little research though, it turned out the guy would buy and resell on ebay, and I guess the game he bought from me wasn't going to pull the cash he expected.[/QUOTE]

Good thing he did not go for one of those male enhancement surgeries and offered pics. :)

[quote name='tangytangerine']I've had a couple of those in the past where somehow the post office would mysteriously return the money order 3-4 times :nottalking:.

Also had someone not pay for a bundle of sports games for Xbox after telling me his Xbox started shooting sparks after he placed the bid :whistle2:s. Which if true, it seriously had to be a act of god.[/quote]

I'm a big fan (now) of Paypal only.

"Shooting sparks", that is quite good. :lol:
I wonder where it was exactly "shooting" them from.

I had this one. Little different situation though.

Hey Im not going to send you the item untill you pay me double what the item sold for on ebay.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I had this one. Little different situation though.

Hey Im not going to send you the item untill you pay me double what the item sold for on ebay.[/quote]

You gunna have to explain this one.

Item ended. They sent in invoice with the price of shipping. We'll say 5.00 just for argument. I paid what they invoice said. ( ebay cost plus the listed shipping fee) Paid on paypal minutes after auctions end. Two weeks later I still did not get my item. I emailed them and wanted to see where the item was. I get an email back saying they didn't make enough money off they auction and are not sending the item till I pay them double what the item ended for. I filled a non sending ebayer and paypal sent my money back. Then The bastards gave me a negitive for not paying them. Two weeks later they are kicked off ebay for doing this to 15 other people. I was the first. I still get to keep their one and only negitive feedback. Check out my feedback same name. Mr_hockey66

All of the time I get the excuse "I was sick" or "I was in the hospital". Do they really expect me to believe that? I think there should be an investigation by the CDC or somebody into Ebay because apparently immediately after bidding on my auctions people fall deathly ill.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Item ended. They sent in invoice with the price of shipping. We'll say 5.00 just for argument. I paid what they invoice said. ( ebay cost plus the listed shipping fee) Paid on paypal minutes after auctions end. Two weeks later I still did not get my item. I emailed them and wanted to see where the item was. I get an email back saying they didn't make enough money off they auction and are not sending the item till I pay them double what the item ended for. I filled a non sending ebayer and paypal sent my money back. Then The bastards gave me a negitive for not paying them. Two weeks later they are kicked off ebay for doing this to 15 other people. I was the first. I still get to keep their one and only negitive feedback. Check out my feedback same name. Mr_hockey66[/quote]

What a fucking tard. Good thing he got banned from eBay ..

I'd have to say worst excuse was about a year ago before I stopped eBaying for awhile ..

I was selling Resident Evil 4 and he claimed he had a sniping software and it was malfuctioning and that it was not in his intent to bid, therefore he will not be paying .. :roll:

Guy wins one of my auctions, two weeks go by and no payment, so I emailed him and got this response " I'm so sorry I no want please forgive me!" , I just had to laugh. Needless to say he got a negative

Edit: And for the record the high bidder in that auction OP was an idiot, there is still no blu-ray of Heroes available, ended at a great price, neg em!

Back when PS2 network adapters came out and were a bit tough to come by, we picked up an extra one to sell online.

A guy wins it for like $57... so no payment after 2 weeks. I contact him to find out what's up and he tells me that he found it for $40 and doesn't know why he should pay me $57 for it. Well gee dipshit, I dunno... maybe because you bid on it and agreed to pay me that much.

[quote name='Vinny']Back when PS2 network adapters came out and were a bit tough to come by, we picked up an extra one to sell online.

A guy wins it for like $57... so no payment after 2 weeks. I contact him to find out what's up and he tells me that he found it for $40 and doesn't know why he should pay me $57 for it. Well gee dipshit, I dunno... maybe because you bid on it and agreed to pay me that much.[/quote]

Lmao .. I never really understood why you would bid that high on something with out previously researching the price ..

The common one I get is how payday is next Friday but come that day, no payment is received.
Always end up selling for the item less than what it sold for in the first place.

It will be worst when eBay implements a policy where sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers who deserve them.

My last one was where the buyer asked me "if I took monthly installments". I told him that wasn't how ebay works and that the item should be paid in full before item is sent out to the buyer. He then emailed me saying that payment would received by Monday. Come Monday, his account is no longer active and I end up selling the item for about $30 less then previous and that pissed me off even more.

I don't sell many items on ebay but I'm rethinking selling anything on there anymore because of the new changes.

[quote name='Vinny']Back when PS2 network adapters came out and were a bit tough to come by, we picked up an extra one to sell online.

A guy wins it for like $57... so no payment after 2 weeks. I contact him to find out what's up and he tells me that he found it for $40 and doesn't know why he should pay me $57 for it. Well gee dipshit, I dunno... maybe because you bid on it and agreed to pay me that much.[/quote]

I have sadly had that happen way to many times, I sold a copy of MGS 2: Substance a day before the anounced the 3 pack, The buyer sent it back saying ti didnt work, fired up fine for me...A week later same thing with Final Fantasy 7. So many times it ticks me off.

The worst are the people who bid on multiple auctions for the same, exact item and then screw you if they get it cheaper from another seller. I see that a lot from people who back out. You check their feedback a day or two later, and they have feedback left for buying the same item they said they couldn't pay for or whatever excuse they give.

[quote name='LuisRM']
"Shooting sparks", that is quite good. :lol:
I wonder where it was exactly "shooting" them from.[/quote]

The sparks are shooting from all over the console. One of those games clearly turned his XBox into a lump of thermite.

Haven't had too many problems with NPB's, but one of them I did have was priceless, it was sort of a mish-mash of some of the methods mentioned in this thread. It started out by this guy winning a lot of 9 crappy DC games for a LOT more than they were worth (close to $40 shipped). So a week goes by. No payment, but I did recieve a message. I don't still have it, but it was something along the lines of "Hey, I hope you don't mind, my daughter's still looking through your store, you have a lot of great items!! She wanted to buy something else and combine shipping." Ok, 3 key things wrong with this message:
1. I don't have a store.
2. I had absolutely nothing else listed at the time.
3. I don't even offer combined shipping!
Needless to say, I found this hilarious.
So, about another week goes by. I end up with another message. "Hi, I get paid on Thursday. I'll send payment then." By this point, I knew the guy wasn't going to pay. The nail in the coffin though? I check the guy's feedback and It turns out he bought another lot of Dreamcast games the same night only with MUCH better games and a cheaper pricetag.

i think the cancer friend excuse was still the best. im not quite sure if it was a myth or if it did happen.

but.. since everyones telling their story, heres mine:

i sold a psp weeks before christmas. the item ended at $300 (it was a bundle). i hate when you have a bidded who doesn't read descriptions. i did not offer any returns or exchanges for the lot but yet the buyer wants to know if there is just in case something happens to it in transit. we got on it for a few weeks until ive had enough and filed a NPB.. i waited for a day til he replied and closed the complaint so i could have my fees back.

[quote name='facemeat']Haven't had too many problems with NPB's, but one of them I did have was priceless, it was sort of a mish-mash of some of the methods mentioned in this thread. It started out by this guy winning a lot of 9 crappy DC games for a LOT more than they were worth (close to $40 shipped). So a week goes by. No payment, but I did recieve a message. I don't still have it, but it was something along the lines of "Hey, I hope you don't mind, my daughter's still looking through your store, you have a lot of great items!! She wanted to buy something else and combine shipping." Ok, 3 key things wrong with this message:
1. I don't have a store.
2. I had absolutely nothing else listed at the time.
3. I don't even offer combined shipping!
Needless to say, I found this hilarious.
So, about another week goes by. I end up with another message. "Hi, I get paid on Thursday. I'll send payment then." By this point, I knew the guy wasn't going to pay. The nail in the coffin though? I check the guy's feedback and It turns out he bought another lot of Dreamcast games the same night only with MUCH better games and a cheaper pricetag.[/quote]

Same thing happend here, I had a Black Label Case For FFVII, the bid went up to $25 shipped, The winner dosnt pay, I check his feedback, He bought a full game for $30(Lucky Dog) check the Second chance offer guys feedback...just bought a case for $18+S&H, Relist, winning bidder never pays after 2 weeks has a huge list of Negative feedback from bidding on Rare games and not paying. currently on second chance offer. Over the last year this case has been on E-Bay close to 10 times, winning bidders never pay, one did feel bad and paypal'd me like $10, but didnt want the case.....

What kind of idiot bids on one thing after just winning another? I've never had a Non-Paying Bidder before, hopefully I won't ever...

[quote name='Samus']What kind of idiot bids on one thing after just winning another? I've never had a Non-Paying Bidder before, hopefully I won't ever...[/quote]

Unfortunately, it happens a lot, and if you sell enough stuff on eBay, you will run into NPBs. There simply isn't anyway to avoid it. You either have people who feel they bid too much, or they found it elsewhere for cheaper, or whatever.

I had one guy that bought a game from me but I guess won another auction at the same time (I did a search on items he had bid on). He just never responded to my messages. I filed the NPB dispute, got my money back, and relisted. The positive side was my second listing sold for about $10 more.

The worst excuse I got was a winning bidder that didn't respond for several days (I always put on my auctions that payment is required via paypal with 24 hours). Finally she e-mails me (only after being threatened with filing a NPB with eBay) and says her purse was stolen the same day the auction ended and she's been out all weekend trying to cancel credit cards.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Unfortunately, it happens a lot, and if you sell enough stuff on eBay, you will run into NPBs. There simply isn't anyway to avoid it. You either have people who feel they bid too much, or they found it elsewhere for cheaper, or whatever.[/quote]

I wish e-Bay would worry more about NPB's and Scamming buyers than putting a crunch on us sellers. They sent me an E-Mail this week that i need to charge less for shipping....the only reason my shipping is so high is because E-Bay dosent get a chunk out of it. If it list a game that is woth $30 with $7 shipping it sells for $23, if i put $5 shipping it sells for $25, E-bay is more worried about getting seller fees that it is about NPB's and Scamming buyers...I need a new auction site...

[quote name='Sinnbox']I wish e-Bay would worry more about NPB's and Scamming buyers than putting a crunch on us sellers. They sent me an E-Mail this week that i need to charge less for shipping....the only reason my shipping is so high is because E-Bay dosent get a chunk out of it. If it list a game that is woth $30 with $7 shipping it sells for $23, if i put $5 shipping it sells for $25, E-bay is more worried about getting seller fees that it is about NPB's and Scamming buyers...I need a new auction site...[/quote]

Did they tell you that you have to lower your shipping or they'd pull the auction or was it just a "suggestion"?

They say they do it to keep people from getting ripped off on shipping but the real reason is probably the fact that they don't get a cut of it. Higher shipping means lower final bid price. Lower final bid price means less final value fee.

I think it's crap that they harass people about shipping charges. I always take that into account when I bid. If the shipping is high that's fine I just factor that in and bid accordingly (I won't bid as high).

I wonder if they get on all of those store fronts that charge .01 for a cell phone car charger with a shipping cost of $15?

I never liked paying high shipping costs. I mean, paying 10 bucks for an item only to pay 9 dollars shipping. I mean, why are these shipping costs so high. Are they fighting pirates and it takes more money for ammo. What the hell, man?

I don't really care about shipping costs, because I simply bid up to what I am comfortable paying for the item shipped. As far as why shipping costs are so high, many sellers try to offset eBay/PP fees by charging high shipping.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't really care about shipping costs, because I simply bid up to what I am comfortable paying for the item shipped. As far as why shipping costs are so high, many sellers try to offset eBay/PP fees by charging high shipping.[/quote]

Starting to derail but...

But that is all the cost of doing business.

You can't expect 100% profit for using their auction service.

I've seen DS games with $6.99 shipping for a USPS First Class mail. If it were Priority I could sort of understand that price but First Class doesn't usually exceed $2.00 for shipping a small object like a DS game.

And no, I hope I am not paying for a $2 envelope and $3 for gas just to shipped my product.

(this wasn't directed at you bigdaddybruce44 btw - just a general rant) :)

You know shipping fees also include "handling"... which is the cost of packaging,boxing,and dropping off the package to the post office. And this can easily be high. Its the reason so far that ebay cannot mandate specific shipping fees per specific items on their site. They cant enforce it.

You may win a item which comes in a crappy old used box with crappy packaging.
or you may win a item in a brand new box with bubblewrap and fancy and professional writing.

Google needs to come out with an auction site that has 50% less fees and puts customers first when it comes to scammers.

I hate ebay.

When selling a "hot" item one ebay be prepared for the scum of the earth to flock to your auction and bid and attempt to win with the sole purpose of scamming you.

I put up 3 Wiis before xmas last year... a total of 7 non paying bidders and 7 different excuses as why these idios couldnt pay etc etc....Meanwhile i lose plenty of time and have to wait forever to get refunded the stupid ebay fees.. I eventually got some honest buyers and sold them before xmas.. But ebay is shit. Their is just no alternative and i dont want to meet some guy in a back alley (criagslist) to sell crap. Or drive to a pawn shop to get 10% value on your items.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']You know shipping fees also include "handling"... which is the cost of packaging,boxing,and dropping off the package to the post office. And this can easily be high. Its the reason so far that ebay cannot mandate specific shipping fees per specific items on their site. They cant enforce it.

You may win a item which comes in a crappy old used box with crappy packaging.
or you may win a item in a brand new box with bubblewrap and fancy and professional writing.

Google needs to come out with an auction site that has 50% less fees and puts customers first when it comes to scammers.

I hate ebay.

When selling a "hot" item one ebay be prepared for the scum of the earth to flock to your auction and bid and attempt to win with the sole purpose of scamming you.

I put up 3 Wiis before xmas last year... a total of 7 non paying bidders and 7 different excuses as why these idios couldnt pay etc etc....Meanwhile i lose plenty of time and have to wait forever to get refunded the stupid ebay fees.. I eventually got some honest buyers and sold them before xmas.. But ebay is shit. Their is just no alternative and i dont want to meet some guy in a back alley (criagslist) to sell crap. Or drive to a pawn shop to get 10% value on your items.[/quote]

E-Bay could end NPB's by adding a Pay-Pal Account that auto-pays on recipt of an invoice. but that would be to easy.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']
I've seen DS games with $6.99 shipping for a USPS First Class mail. If it were Priority I could sort of understand that price but First Class doesn't usually exceed $2.00 for shipping a small object like a DS game.
[/quote]

That's nothing. 2-3 years ago, I saw some DS games that were brand new with a BIN price of $0.99 with $23.99 shipping:hot:.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']That's nothing. 2-3 years ago, I saw some DS games that were brand new with a BIN price of $0.99 with $23.99 shipping:hot:.[/quote]

Sellers do that because E-Bay taes a cut from the sell price, but not from shipping, E-Bay has been doing their best to end that though, I just got an E-Mail that said if i don't drop shipping price($6-$7 for a PS2 game) they would place my item towards teh bottom of the listing page.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Sellers do that because E-Bay taes a cut from the sell price, but not from shipping, E-Bay has been doing their best to end that though, I just got an E-Mail that said if i don't drop shipping price($6-$7 for a PS2 game) they would place my item towards teh bottom of the listing page.[/quote]

I've known the reason for the high shipping for years. I'm not trying to defend eBay or anything (I've stopped selling on there since the fee increase), but if everybody jacks their shipping up 3-5 times what it should be, eBay will go under........

Maybe that would be a good thing.

E-Bay will go under? What are you talking about? Those guys have a license to print money! They won't make quite as much profit and their stock price might drop, but I assure you, if they go bankrupt they've got no one to blame but themselves.

Seriously, all the carping about inflated S&H prices is completely mystifying to me. E-Bay makes it very simple to determine what your bid + shipping will be so it's hard to imagine that many people are getting screwed over by surprise high shipping fees. If someone doesn't list the S&H in the header or otherwise hides the ball you've got a right to complain. Otherwise, suck it up, add the two numbers together and figure out what your bid will set you back.

I should note that I do understand why e-Bay is trying to stop people from charging a lot for S&H -- it cuts into their profit, and they've basically got the online auction market cornered, so why shouldn't the try and squeeze every penny they can out of the sellers. But that doesn't mean I'm going to cheer them on for doing it, as it's hardly an altruistic move on their part.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']I've known the reason for the high shipping for years. I'm not trying to defend eBay or anything (I've stopped selling on there since the fee increase), but if everybody jacks their shipping up 3-5 times what it should be, eBay will go under........

Maybe that would be a good thing.[/quote]

There was an incident where the person said he was getting paid on Friday...but ended up not paying. Relisted and sold the item for $30 cheaper than the previous price.

Damn NPBs....the cost/risk of selling stuff on eBay.

A winning bidder send this response 1 week after the auction:

sorry i bet on the same item with another seller and i won it cheaper . i am deeply sorry that this
situation occured.
thank you

Could of let me know sooner. On my bidder block list you go.

bread's done
Back