WTF is up with my iBook?

MrMaddness

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
So here's the deal. I purchased my iBook G4 last September for 1200 bucks, right before they announced the new Intel ones, so I have one of the last PowerPC laptops. Over the summer, I had a problem in which my laptop would just shut off, randomly. The only way I could get it to turn back on was to unplug it and take out the battery, and then reset the Power Management Unit(PMU). I brought it in for repairs. They replaced the logic board, and gave it back to me. It worked fine for 3 weeks, then in September it happened again. I finally got another chance to bring it in 2 weeks ago, and got it back last week.

Lo and behold...it's doing it again.

I live in New York, and I tried looking up like lemon laws regarding retail purchases, because this laptop is clearly not working like it is supposed to. I have an extended warranty on it, it's covered for 3 more years, but I don't feel like getting the logic board switched out again...when it's just not going to work.

Any suggestions or help you guys could give would be great.

Thanks.

I know very little about iBook's (I use an iMac) but isn't there a class action lawsuit being organized against Apple about the random shut-down's? Or is that just against Intel iBooks?

Did you upgrade the firmware on your iBook since you started having problems with it?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Don't buy Apple products[/QUOTE]

OH SNAP! NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Now for a real answer

IF you have a warranty, use it. Call explain the situation and tell them you bought a Apple product and paid a premium price for it to fuckING WORK. If you wanted a POS laptop you could have bought a $400 Compaq. You want a over night replacement or a full refund seeing as you have important work to do. Don't be a total dick but do know this, YOU paid your part of the arrangement for a fully working laptop,they have not fulfilled their part in providing you that.

my friend has the same problem. except she can turn it on again by slapping the iBook hard like, "BITCH! WAKE UP!" and lo and behold, it does.

Try slapping it it hard on each side from the mousepad. If that doesn't work....well I guess the iBook ain't your bitch then. try it, seriously.

[quote name='alongx']First problem with your iBook: it was made by Apple.[/QUOTE]

And I suppose a Dell would be better? Thanks for thread crapping.

I don't have Apple product personally, but I would do what one of the above posters said, call them up and explain your situation, you did buy the extra warranty and you just want it to work, it's not like you're looking for a freebie.

I suggest you ask this in the Macforums, that's where my brother gets all his questions answered. Mac problems are usually more common (since you're restricted on your options) and easier to find solutions to.

[quote name='MrMaddness']And I suppose a Dell would be better? Thanks for thread crapping.[/quote]Really a Alienware or a Custom built from ibuypower.com would be better.

[quote name='MrMaddness']And I suppose a Dell would be better? Thanks for thread crapping.[/quote]

Actually, yes, a Dell would work better.

To bring some actual sanity to this thread-Apple's desktops are the most reliable in the industry, and their laptops are slightly better than middle of the pack (ie Sony and Toshiba are slightly better, most are the same or worse).

And their tech support continues to be the highest rated (by an increasing margin).

So yeah, just keep dealing with Applecare. Be nice, but eventually they MIGHT end up just swapping the whole thing out. But either way, just keep at it until it works.

And no, they would not have done better buying a Dell, since Dell's stuff is lower rated.

The batteries are fucked, you should of gotten a recall notice a long time ago (3 months or so) about this. The batteries also catch on fire.

I have a powerbook G4.

[quote name='Rozz']Actually, yes, a Dell would work better.[/QUOTE]

gawd no. Dells are terrible. I know tons of people with problem Dell laptops (my wife included)

I would take it back to the Apple store. My iMac died on me last week. It was 1 year out of warranty and Apple fixed it (replaced the logic board and power supply) FOR FREE.

[quote name='Puppy']To bring some actual sanity to this thread-Apple's desktops are the most reliable in the industry, and their laptops are slightly better than middle of the pack (ie Sony and Toshiba are slightly better, most are the same or worse).

And their tech support continues to be the highest rated (by an increasing margin).

So yeah, just keep dealing with Applecare. Be nice, but eventually they MIGHT end up just swapping the whole thing out. But either way, just keep at it until it works.

And no, they would not have done better buying a Dell, since Dell's stuff is lower rated.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I've been an Mac owner for 7 years and always thought of Apple as the Nintendo of the computer industry. If something breaks, they'll fix it for free most of the time unless it's several years out of warranty. They'd rather make sure their customers are happy and come back when it's time to buy another computer instead of charge them $100 for an easy fix. Although, buying the Applecare protection plan doesn't hurt either (which in itself is an excellent deal).

Sony, Dell, HP customer service and hardware quality doesn't even come close to Apple. Thats a fact.

[quote name='alongx']First problem with your iBook: it was made by Apple.[/QUOTE]
lol @ this guy, go somewhere else and talk about windoze with the other pc fanboys.

Apple makes great products.

I hope your iBook gets repaired, it's a great notebook. I think it's a battery problem.

Yes Apple sucks, and Windows sucks, hell everything fucking sucks. Even your favorite things fucking suck all right now that we've cleared that up.

I say call apple, IMO messing up two times is not enough to qualify for lemon laws.

bread's done
Back