XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jwizzle5786']Can't believe Battlefield 3 DLC is on sale the day after I buy the game for a discount.[/QUOTE]

Coincidence....I think so.

All these company's are in cahoots. :lol:

[quote name='Spylon']I agree, I'm pretty baffled as to what the gold exclusive sales are. I would grab them quick if interested, especially since the May rewards is on music DLC.

Here is the status as we know it:

Family Pack? Could Haunt be the family pack deal? Sucks that they don't show up on the dash but do appreciate the extra sale.
NIN2-JUMP - Gold Price: 200 ($2.50) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Game for Windows Live - DOTW
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 1200 ($15.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Unknown
Mushihimesama-hutari-Black-Lavel - Gold Price: 600 ($7.50) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Cyber Troopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram - Gold Price: 600 ($7.50) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Haunt - Gold Price: 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Guwange - Gold Price: 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Price Drops
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - 1600 ($20.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Alice: Madness Returns - 2400 ($30.00) Microsoft Points - 25% off - xbldb
Yahtzee - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Sorry! - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Sorry! Sliders - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Scrabble - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Jenga - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Pictureka - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Connect 4 - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Connect 4x4 - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Battleship - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb
Boggle - Full Game - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb[/QUOTE]

FYI beware EA just turned off the online servers for all the Hasbro Family Game Night games yesterday, so they're local play only now. Only affected 1 achievement total, but affects those (like me) without local co-op opportunities.

Not surprising the games were discounted as a result. Like others have said, the disc version had a very small print run so if you want these best bet is to download them.

Nice, new thread. I might have to bite on Nin2-Jump just to add to the arcade backlog. I was able to pick up NBA Jam OFE and the 2K12 DLC last minte. It feels good to finally spend some of these points.

This is gonna be a really stupid question, so does shutdown of the family game night servers mean I can no longer play with a friend that also has it or does that just mean I can't find randoms?

Also, if that means no online play at all, wouldn't that make Scrabble completely unplayable? Pretty sure I've tried to play that locally with my fiance and it wont even let you

[quote name='Unspoken Wizard']This is gonna be a really stupid question, so does shutdown of the family game night servers mean I can no longer play with a friend that also has it or does that just mean I can't find randoms?[/QUOTE]

No online whatsoever.

Probably not, but it certainly isn't getting them money. Those games are like three years old, which apparently makes them long dead in the video game world.

What's really baffling is that we were told our Gold subscription fees were supposed to pay to make sure these things kinda, y'know, didn't happen. Just another reason to play PC, I guess. ┐( ̄3 ̄)┌

[quote name='airco']http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Promotion/dealoftheweek

This updated with VOOT, Nin2, and Guwange added. Haunt still not officially acknowledged.

About the Mushihime DLC, I'd imagine it'd work with US account DLC + disc, but would it work with US account DLC + HK account GoD? It's almost half price from there, and I've already practiced my pro VPNing skills.[/QUOTE]
VPNing skills?

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']VPNing skills?[/QUOTE]

It's like, when you follow a web tutorial to the letter and buy something off a foreign marketplace through a VPN. It was in the last thread. (´・ω・`)

In my opinion, I don't think people should be complaining about weak sales during the middle of the Microsoft Arcade Next promotion. MS is trying to raise awareness and interest in the new XBLA games Trials Evolution, Fable Heroes, Minecraft 360. Theoretically, that is where you are supposed to be spending you points at this time.

/ 2¢

Joey, you don't have the Arcade Next promotion listed with the XBLA stuff. :booty:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='airco']Probably not, but it certainly isn't getting them money. Those games are like three years old, which apparently makes them long dead in the video game world.

What's really baffling is that we were told our Gold subscription fees were supposed to pay to make sure these things kinda, y'know, didn't happen. Just another reason to play PC, I guess. ┐( ̄3 ̄)┌[/QUOTE]
You're paying for Microsoft's servers to stay up, not third-party servers.

Does anyone know if there's any cool mods for Harry Potter? That would be my only reason picking it up.

This will go well with the Battlefield 3 I just picked up yesterday from that Best Buy deal.

I think I'll hold off until I actually get the game in the mail though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You're paying for Microsoft's servers to stay up, not third-party servers.[/QUOTE]

But why are third party servers being used to begin with? This isn't Chromehounds, it can't be beyond the first party servers' ability to handle a few online matches in board games of all things.

[quote name='airco']Probably not, but it certainly isn't getting them money. Those games are like three years old, which apparently makes them long dead in the video game world.

What's really baffling is that we were told our Gold subscription fees were supposed to pay to make sure these things kinda, y'know, didn't happen. Just another reason to play PC, I guess. ┐( ̄3 ̄)┌[/QUOTE]

8 years ago to get EA games on XBox 1 and all future XBox platforms, MS had to make 2 concessions to EA:

1. No more MS sports games, see the demise of all the MS published team sports games after 2003. Apparently driving/extreme sports games were exempt as MS published PGR, Amped, and now Forza. Top Spin IP was sold to 2K Sports.

2. EA had complete control of servers for their games online, and Live was merely a portal to get you to the EA servers. Hence why all that EA connect/account stuff shows up on their games only and how all the shutdowns are only generally for EA games (with the exception of 2K sports games as 2K got that deal also but only for their sports games.)

Not sure what the deal was with Chromehounds with Sega. Phantasy Star Online/FF XI were MMO's so that's why those servers are 3rd party but never heard the reason why Chromehounds was allowed 3rd party servers. Only non-EA/2K Sports games I know of with 3rd party servers are some of the recent THQ games (Homefront, etc.) and Gears 3.

Well, Chromehounds online was a lot deeper than simple 8-man matchmaking. It was about three giant, player controller factions fighting over an enormous game world, which I think is enough to explain the need for third party servers.

[quote name='Gosha']Picked up that half of Mushihimesama Black Label update. Now to locate a copy of the import for cheap.[/QUOTE]

I probably would've done it in the opposite order. But, best of luck to you. :)

[quote name='gordojones88']

Joey, you don't have the Arcade Next promotion listed with the XBLA stuff. :booty:[/QUOTE]

Is there a rebate?

[quote name='Gosha']Picked up that half of Mushihimesama Black Label update. Now to locate a copy of the import for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Don't know what sort of price range you're looking for, but Amazon has it for ~50

[quote name='airco']But why are third party servers being used to begin with? This isn't Chromehounds, it can't be beyond the first party servers' ability to handle a few online matches in board games of all things.[/QUOTE]
They want more control over the servers and everything else that can be done with that.

Edit:[quote name='MSUHitman']1. No more MS sports games, see the demise of all the MS published team sports games after summer 2002. Apparently driving games were exempt as MS published PGR and now Forza.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a link to more info about this? I've never heard about this until a few days ago and it seems like more of a myth made up by the anti-EA sentiment that was growing with the EA Xbox Live deal announced at E3 2004 and the NFL exclusivity announcement a few months later. The only articles I can find about the deal don't mention a thing about Microsoft being forced to stop making sports games as a result of the deal.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Phantasy Star Online/FF XI were MMO's[/QUOTE]

Uh oh. The semantics police may try to pull you over for an argument. IMO PSO was an MMO but some will argue otherwise. Pretty sure we've had that debate on more than on occasion.

[quote name='hexa']I probably would've done it in the opposite order. But, best of luck to you. :)[/QUOTE]

Well... the Black Label version is the better version to play. In addition, this probably won't be on sale in a week. Half off is half off for something that doesn't have a retail equivalent.

Would someone care to list some games that offer music DLC to make that rebate? That aren't the music games, rockband, GH, etc.

I know Castlevania HoD had two music packs (already bought of course) and Warriors Orochi 3 has one music pack out for 160 points but doesn't quite get me there.

Finally another sale on VOOT! I've been interested in playing it for the longest time, but it went on sale forever ago. And Nin2 for 200 MSP? Hell yes!

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Would someone care to list some games that offer music DLC to make that rebate? That aren't the music games, rockband, GH, etc.

I know Castlevania HoD had two music packs (already bought of course) and Warriors Orochi 3 has one music pack out for 160 points but doesn't quite get me there.[/QUOTE]

Clicking the official page's offer leads you here:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Search?downloadtype=GameAddon&genre=3007&query=music

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Of course it's millions of pages of Music game DLC xD Was hoping someone could think of some non music game DLC packs off the top of their head like the two examples I gave.

Thanks, though.[/QUOTE]

There's a column on the left on the page that shows the games that have eligible content. There's only a couple of dozen. I don't think that the games you listed have DLC that qualifies. I don't think that it's music related DLC but DLC for games in the music genre.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They want more control over the servers and everything else that can be done with that.

Edit:
Do you have a link to more info about this? I've never heard about this until a few days ago and it seems like more of a myth made up by the anti-EA sentiment that was growing with the EA Xbox Live deal announced at E3 2004 and the NFL exclusivity announcement a few months later. The only articles I can find about the deal don't mention a thing about Microsoft being forced to stop making sports games as a result of the deal.[/QUOTE]

I can't find one except this interview by IGN that kinda dances around it. Thought it was generally known this was the case but I don't have a hard article as of yet.
http://sports.ign.com/articles/502/502713p2.html

Also when EA announced the partnership at E3 that year, during a demo w/Donald Trump, he made a crack at MS's NFL game. Also 2 months after EA's announcement, MS shut down the studio that made all of the team sports games.

I am out of Gold membership on the 11th!

On the dashboard it says if I renew with a card from a b&m that I will get 600 MS points!

Any good deals on 12 month cards?

Figured I'd play a quick round of Bullet Soul to try it out. Heck of a lot of fun but beating it in on my first play is somehow a little disappointing. Awesome that it kept raining achievements though. I'd give it a B+ in the few minutes I played. Worth the import. Going to have to snag the DLC from the JP market and find out what it's all about.

Can't see any leaderboards. I guess that's because of the region issue. Got a high score of ~6.475 Million. Not terrible.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I can't find one except this interview by IGN that kinda dances around it. Thought it was generally known this was the case but I don't have a hard article as of yet.
http://sports.ign.com/articles/502/502713p2.html

Also when EA announced the partnership at E3 that year, during a demo w/Donald Trump, he made a crack at MS's NFL game. Also 2 months after EA's announcement, MS shut down the studio that made all of the team sports games.[/QUOTE]
I don't see anything about it being a result of the EA deal, so this all comes off as conspiracy mumbo-jumbo, no offense. The logical reason for the closings would be that their sports games mostly sold like crap and the increased success of Sega Sports and EA Sports on their system made it much less of a sustainable avenue compared to the games that sold well for them. Here are some lifetime-to-date NPD sales figures that I found up to July 2004:

XBX AMPED: SNOWBOARDING 536,585
XBX AMPED 2 110,672
XBX LINKS 2004 124,488
XBX MLB INSIDE PITCH 2003 60,221
XBX NBA INSIDE DRIVE 2002 219,456
XBX NBA INSIDE DRIVE 2003 179,824
XBX NBA INSIDE DRIVE 2004 86,034
XBX NFL FEVER 2002 588,427
XBX NFL FEVER 2003 343,310
XBX NFL FEVER 2004 165,886
XBX NHL RIVALS 2004 45,835
XBX RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 284,081
XBX RALLISPORT CHALLENGE2 56,836
XBX TOP SPIN 216,100

Each of those series plummeted with the sequels and the new attempts at NHL and MLB bombed hard, so Microsoft seceded from the market and sold off the two IPs worth anything (Top Spin and Amped) to Take Two/2K. So one could say that EA (and Sega) forced Microsoft to give up on sports, but not because of an agreement to get EA on Xbox Live unless you can find some factual proof to prove it.

[quote name='airco']Of around 240 points, I think. It should be on the Dashboard[/QUOTE]

That rebate isn't available to everyone, only a select few.

[quote name='tylerh1701']That rebate isn't available to everyone, only a select few.[/QUOTE]

The select view being... people who buy one of the games? I honestly can't find the deal anymore, since MS seems to hate letting people know when they have sales or specials (the DotW still only shows Battlefield on the Dashboard), so maybe.

[quote name='airco']The select view being... people who buy one of the games? I honestly can't find the deal anymore, since MS seems to hate letting people know when they have sales or specials (the DotW still only shows Battlefield on the Dashboard), so maybe.[/QUOTE]
I've never seen it, so I don't think it was available to everybody.

[quote name='airco']The select view being... people who buy one of the games? I honestly can't find the deal anymore, since MS seems to hate letting people know when they have sales or specials (the DotW still only shows Battlefield on the Dashboard), so maybe.[/QUOTE]

Someone mentioned that it was only for people who had never purchased an XBLA game before, but I can't source that either.

What I do know is that for myself and the vast majority here, no offer was made available.

Already have Guwange and Virtual On, and the Rewards points should essentially make Nin2-Jump free for me. Awesome. :) Might splurge on some points for Haunt... not sure if I should.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't see anything about it being a result of the EA deal, so this all comes off as conspiracy mumbo-jumbo, no offense. The logical reason for the closings would be that their sports games mostly sold like crap and the increased success of Sega Sports and EA Sports on their system made it much less of a sustainable avenue compared to the games that sold well for them. So one could say that EA (and Sega) forced Microsoft to give up on sports, but not because of an agreement to get EA on Xbox Live unless you can find some factual proof to prove it.[/QUOTE]
Those of us who bought NFL Fever 2004, NBA Inside Drive 2004, NHL Rivals 2004, Top Spin, and Links 2004 at full price for our Xbox behemoths know the story all too well. EA announces they're coming to Xbox Live, and the MS titles dry up on the store shelves. This left EA & Sega to duke it out over the NFL license, and we all know what happened there ... http://www.gamespot.com/features/battle-for-the-nfl-6115180/

More explanations from those of us who remember how stuff works ...
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/xbox-live3.htm

And some ancient news so you can follow the money ...
March 29, 2004 ... "We're cancelling all XSN titles, including football, basketball, and racing."
April 23, 2004 ... "EA is bringing football, basketball, and racing to Xbox Live."

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Figured I'd play a quick round of Bullet Soul to try it out. Heck of a lot of fun but beating it in on my first play is somehow a little disappointing. Awesome that it kept raining achievements though. I'd give it a B+ in the few minutes I played. Worth the import. Going to have to snag the DLC from the JP market and find out what it's all about.[/QUOTE]

You'll be able to beat 95% of all Xbox 360 shmups on the first attempt since only a few like Ikaruga and Omega Five limit continues. That said, you have to reach the second loop of Bullet Soul (and most Cave games) in order to see the true boss and ending. That means beating the first loop without continuing and meeting a few other conditions. The true boss is just stupidly evil, much more in line with a Cave game than the rest of Bullet Soul's bosses. And yeah, it'll take plenty of practice to beat the second loop without continuing and/or get the rest of the game's Achievements.

[quote name='Bloomy']It's a region free Japanese release, bullet hell shooter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushihime-sama_Futari

Wonder who does the translations for the marketplace. I know about the r/l and v/b swapping, but don't think I've seen h swapped for f.[/QUOTE]

The line of hiragana that the Japanese character comes from is the "H" sound line. The other characters in that line are: ha, hi, he, and ho. The 'fu' character, grouped with those other four, does make an 'f' sound but someone who only looked at a character chart and didn't know about pronunciation would likely get that wrong.

[quote name='Thrinn']I was so glad that we got DeathSmiles 2 via GoD. I really wish they'd do the same with the rest of Cave's games. It seems like Cave and MS are leaving some money on the table.[/QUOTE]

To learn more about why Cave doesn't dig Games on Demand, check out my interview with one of their producers! :)

[quote name='Cornelius']Those of us who bought NFL Fever 2004, NBA Inside Drive 2004, NHL Rivals 2004, Top Spin, and Links 2004 at full price for our Xbox behemoths know the story all too well. EA announces they're coming to Xbox Live, and the MS titles dry up on the store shelves. This left EA & Sega to duke it out over the NFL license, and we all know what happened there ... http://www.gamespot.com/features/battle-for-the-nfl-6115180/

More explanations from those of us who remember how stuff works ...
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/xbox-live3.htm

And some ancient news so you can follow the money ...
March 29, 2004 ... "We're cancelling all XSN titles, including football, basketball, and racing."
April 23, 2004 ... "EA is bringing football, basketball, and racing to Xbox Live."[/QUOTE]
So if it weren't for EA, do you really think those Microsoft sports games would've been fine despite poor sales due to EA and Sega Sports dominating the market? The sales say a hell of a lot more about why they stopped making them than the conspiracy theory that suggest EA could tell the platform holder what games they were allowed to make. Please provide some actual proof that Microsoft was forced to stop making sports games as a part of the agreement to get EA on Xbox Live, because all I see is an ailing sports division that wouldn't be able to sustain their existence for much longer due to competition that was only getting stronger.

The NFL thing has nothing to do with it since the NFL didn't want competition and took bids from any publisher that wanted the license (article here). Sony was in that group of publishers bidding for the license, but we all know who won in the end. The NFL has had some controversy over their new-ish policy of exclusive licensing with the American Needle antitrust suit that still seems to be going on.

Just in case anyone is curious, the Black Label DLC does work with Mushihimesama Futari on a NA system, I picked it up the DLC when it was first released on the marketplace.

I'm currently on the fence about VOOT, I've heard the controls for Virtual On are not very intuitive, but I'm very curious about it since the franchise has had such a rabid following. Does the 360 version have a robust single player mode? How's the online community, are there many people still playing the game?

[quote name='sykotek']
I'm currently on the fence about VOOT, I've heard the controls for Virtual On are not very intuitive, but I'm very curious about it since the franchise has had such a rabid following. Does the 360 version have a robust single player mode?[/QUOTE]

If you want robust single-player, you'll have to get Virtual On Force, which gets a region-free Platinum Hits release very soon. The XBLA version has a straight arcade mode that you can play with your choice of character, and I forget but it might have a time trial or something too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back