XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Geco17']Anyone know the time when they usually put new XBLA up? I just can't wait for Minecraft. Been counting the days :D[/QUOTE]

It fluctuates. My bet is 3:01 am EST. ;)

[quote name='gubmccargen']Of course, duh! I didn't ever realize that PC deals were also valid for Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you were paying attention, but the point was that it's a downloadable title, and if the price for a digital copy goes as low as it does on other platforms, there's no reason for MS to keep their inflated GoD prices, as it just makes the entire GoD platform look like it's meant to scam money away from idiots, rather than provide quality games at a cheaper price than you could find at retail (which is what a download service should be). True, they don't have to do it since they have a monopoly on X360 downloadable games, but that hardly helps the GoD image.

What's sad is that it's still stupidly easy to find a retail copy of the game (which, remember, is more valuable than a digital copy) for less than what MS charges most of the time.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Of course, duh! I didn't ever realize that PC deals were also valid for Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

It's not like he's complaining about MS not matching a Steam sale. This is the same game sold by the same freaking company for drastically different prices.

Updated OP with new sales. I'll have some free time over the next couple of days.

Suggestion/Imporivements for the thread?

>I know the Disc section needs to be looked at
>I need to add switching between $$ and MSP to the FAQ
>???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I didn't mean to pick on you personally. My point was only that, unfortunately, we all still have to pay the "console tax" thanks to the big 3 not allowing publisher control over pricing or realistic sales on full games.

I completely agree that the GoD service is pretty useless most of the time due to the absurd pricing. It's such a shame because they've built a great library that has a lot of potential. A Steam-like sale system would be one of my favorite features if it ever arises for the next console generation. I'm never going to accept the demise of physical media for consoles when they're charging more for the digital version that has no flexibility or resale value!

On another note, does anyone else ever wish they would ever do another sale on original XBLA classic arcade ports like Super Contra or Frogger? Unfortunately, I know the Midway titles are out of the picture. It seems like such a missed opportunity on games that can't be selling incredibly well. They're already cheap so a sale would make them no-brainers to pick up. I'd love to have an incentive to run through these again. I remember very few and far between sales on Contra and a couple of Atari titles but that's it.

[quote name='reddjoey']Update OP with new sales. I'll have some free time over the next couple of days.

Suggestion/Imporivements for the thread?

>I know the Disc section needs to be looked at
>I need to add switching between $$ and MSP to the FAQ
>???[/QUOTE]

OP looks good. Only thing I'd suggest is just to get rid of the cat/dog/crackdown 2/mass effect avatar stuff that you have mentioned. I know they're still technically "on sale", but they're really not that special of deals and just avatar props. Or maybe just put them in a tiny little section at the bottom, but I feel like they make the OP look sloppy the way they are now.

Maybe re 4? A guy can dream right? But in all seriousness i would love if toy soliders went on sale for 400 . Cant think of a better way to spend my rewards points on.

I just checked xbox rewards and I have the triple play points pending, but unfortunately there aren't any deals for me this week. It was just Haunt and Nin2-Jump for me this past week. Hoping for some good deals next week.

For some reason I was expecting a "Superhero" themed sale after reading the title which would make sense with the Avengers out.

Wasn't expecting DJ/Guitar Hero, lol!

[quote name='Felder71']Ugh, the track packs are for Guitar Hero. Seriously, people still play GH over RB?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's the better, more fun game in my opinion, I own all of the current gen GH games and all but Green Day Rock Band and can tell you from my perspective that GH is much more fun than Rock Band, by miles, I just like GHs gameplay, visuals and characters much more, as well as the music and charting, while Rock Band's charts may be "more accurate" GH's charts are usually much more fun. I am a solo guitar player btw.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']For some reason I was expecting a "Superhero" themed sale after reading the title which would make sense with the Avengers out.

Wasn't expecting DJ/Guitar Hero, lol![/QUOTE]

You give MS too much credit

[quote name='captpluto9465']Shoot, I was hoping DE:HR The Missing Link would be on sale again. Missed that the last time.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I finally pulled the game out of my backlog and beat it a couple days ago and got pumped when I saw "DE:HR" in the title. :(

[quote name='GUNNM']im still kicking myself for missing out on that GOW 3 season pass on sale D=[/QUOTE]

As am I. I pre-ordered GOW3 from Amazon. After the credit and flipping the game, I owned it for a month and made 12$. I knew I would buy the Epic edition when it dropped and did just that with the Best Buy price drop today. However, I didn't buy the season pass when it was on sale and now I am probably going to be sitting around for a while, waiting.:cry:

[quote name='Narsis84']As am I. I pre-ordered GOW3 from Amazon. After the credit and flipping the game, I owned it for a month and made 12$. I knew I would buy the Epic edition when it dropped and did just that with the Best Buy price drop today. However, I didn't buy the season pass when it was on sale and now I am probably going to be sitting around for a while, waiting.:cry:[/QUOTE]
Yeah I didn't think I would get GOW 3 again after I sold it but the drop on EE made me want to play and damn is this game still fun.

I noticed there are three items missing from the "DLC Disc" section. Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition, Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition, and Mafia II Platinum Hits Edition all contain DLC that is installed with a second disc.

The only issue I have with Games on Demand is that Microsoft doesn't seem to want to be aggressive in pushing the service forward with better sales to get more people on board. Putting stuff on sale for 25-33% off isn't going to get much interest beyond those that already do get those games, but 50% off or $10 on $20-$30 games would be a great way to turn some heads and drum up some excitement for those games.

[quote name='mpaullin']Lol. Have any of us nerdy gamers not seen the Avengers yet?[/QUOTE]

I haven't. Nobody wants to go with me or they already went the ultra-classy route of watching it online.

Tempted to get the DJ Hero 2 DLC, partly because I'll get the rebate back, but there's just not enough content there.

[quote name='mpaullin']Lol. Have any of us nerdy gamers not seen the Avengers yet?[/QUOTE]I haven't seen it yet either. The whole "real life/no money" thing has kept me so far but I hope to see it soon.
[quote name='tylerh1701']Also, OP looks beautiful now ReddJoey![/QUOTE] The OP does look better, nice job!:applause:

[quote name='mpaullin']Lol. Have any of us nerdy gamers not seen the Avengers yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes, some of us nerdy gamers haven't had time yet. ;)

Don't know if it applies specifically to this thread or not, but the original Toy Soldiers has dropped to 400 MSP. Naturally... a couple weeks after i finally break down and buy it, of course...

[quote name='Primis']Don't know if it applies specifically to this thread or not, but the original Toy Soldiers has dropped to 400 MSP. Naturally... a couple weeks after i finally break down and buy it, of course...[/QUOTE]

Still shows as 800 MSP. Not that it matters to me. I bought the game for 1200 MSP a couple of months ago.

[quote name='harry hood']Which of the two toy soldiers game is the better investment?[/QUOTE]

Both have the same critic score (81) on metacritic. The second game has a higher user score though, so that points to it being a better game. I've had both games for a while now but haven't had a chance to play either, so I can't give an opinion.

Robomodo's Unreal Engine-powered remake Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD will drop in on Xbox Live and PSN this June, Tony Hawk himself has revealed. He took to Twitter to announce the launch window, as he is wont to do.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD is a remake featuring select levels from the first two games, which originally debuted on the PSOne. Tony has said that, depending on the HD remake's reception, we could see other past levels added – Hawk even envisions Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD as a platform for completely new content.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/08/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-lands-on-xbox-live-and-psn-in-june/

I remember enjoying Pro Skater 2 on the the Dreamcast so I'm somewhat excited that it's coming soon.

[quote name='Primis']Don't know if it applies specifically to this thread or not, but the original Toy Soldiers has dropped to 400 MSP. Naturally... a couple weeks after i finally break down and buy it, of course...[/QUOTE]

I don't see it. Got my hopes up too.

Toy soliders dropped 400 msp, not gotten to,that price. I hope through a sale it drops to 400 msp soon, more so the week of may 29th, so i can play batman dlc and that almost all day.

[quote name='harry hood']Which of the two toy soldiers game is the better investment?[/QUOTE]

ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!

1 has 14 campaign levels, then a campaign+ with the same 14 levels but played from the German side. They're basically brand new levels because the gameplay and strategies from level to level are extremely different. So basically 28 levels in Toy Soldiers 1, compared to 13 in Toy Soldiers 2.

Toy Soldiers 2 is far easier. They added an arguably overpowered weapon that can destroy tanks, because tanks were a little bit overpowered in 1. There's also a rewind feature in 2 that lets you back track to any wave, in case you make a major mistake and don't feel like restarting the whole level (nothing like this in 1). They also added what basically amounts to killstreak rewards, such as AC-130 and airstrikes, which are fun but still contribute to making the game easier. There are also 6 minigames, and survival and versus maps that, unfortunately, in my opinion are irrelevant.

More positively, Toy Soldiers 2 added the ability to play the whole game co-op (local only, I believe). You can also zoom while using your turrets in 2, which is a really nice addition.

Toy Soldiers 2 is by no means a bad game. I really enjoyed my time with it. But it was a huge letdown to me after how amazing I found Toy Soldiers 1 to be.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Toy soliders dropped 400 msp, not gotten to that price. I hope through a sale it drops to 400 msp soon, more so the week of may 29th, so i can play batman dlc and that almost all day.[/QUOTE]

Huh.

Then it's not actually a new price drop, because I purchased it two weeks ago at 800 MSP. I know this, because I haven't had over 840 MSP's available for some time and am at 40 at the moment.

My bad though. I bought it two weeks ago at a price, then saw a price drop today. I assumed it was actually new.

Re: the original vs Cold War, I'm all about the original because of the WWI theme (WWI, not WWII). WWI largely was tower defense anyways... the flares goes up, the bugle sounds, the soldiers go over the top in waves... the theme, music, sounds, just makes it a refreshing game compared to the glut of modern combat games, WWII themes, etc.

[quote name='Primis']Huh.

Then it's not actually a new price drop, because I purchased it two weeks ago at 800 MSP. I know this, because I haven't had over 840 MSP's available for some time and am at 40 at the moment.

My bad though. I bought it two weeks ago at a price, then saw a price drop today. I assumed it was actually new.

Re: the original vs Cold War, I'm all about the original because of the WWI theme (WWI, not WWII). WWI largely was tower defense anyways... the flares goes up, the bugle sounds, the soldiers go over the top in waves... the theme, music, sounds, just makes it a refreshing game compared to the glut of modern combat games, WWII themes, etc.[/QUOTE]

It's possible that you saw it on the dashboard as a price drop labeled as "Save 400". That's how they label them now, and it's caused lots of confusion on this thread already.

I haven't. My wife is out of town for a week and I'd be murdered if I saw it without her.

I agree with Primis that the enitire setting of Toy Soldiers works for the game more than Toy Soldiers:Cold War. I also second everything that tylerh1701 wrote in his post declaring the original the superior choice. I don't know how you could not be let down with the sequel after playing the first. I could not have put my own opinion any better.:applause:

[quote name='tylerh1701']It's possible that you saw it on the dashboard as a price drop labeled as "Save 400". That's how they label them now, and it's caused lots of confusion on this thread already.[/QUOTE]
That's one of the worst parts of the metro game marketplace along with the weird way they sort new releases. Just tell people what the new price is, not how much it dropped.

[quote name='Sway']http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/08/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-lands-on-xbox-live-and-psn-in-june/

I remember enjoying Pro Skater 2 on the the Dreamcast so I'm somewhat excited that it's coming soon.[/QUOTE]I'm looking forward to it as well, as it's really the only sports series I got into (well, up to THPS 4. I stopped caring after that). I just hope the cheat codes & such return, plus maybe some of those guest characters (like Spiderman in 2 & Wolverine and Darth Maul in 3).

I remember one of the things i loved so much about Tony Hawk Pro Skater was the soundtrack, so many groups i had never heard of before.

Either way, i'm hyped for it. That game was probably the most played game on my PS1 until i learned about how awesome RPG's and SRPG's were.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's one of the worst parts of the metro game marketplace along with the weird way they sort new releases. Just tell people what the new price is, not how much it dropped.[/QUOTE]

OK. I have been holding back and biting my tongue so hard it is bleading.
I can't do it any more.

Wow!... What started as a simple post, got so long I decided it was best to turn it into a blog instead.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=24071

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back