XBLA - Braid - 1200pts

Just to let fans of the game know, the podcast 1upFM has an interview with Johnathan Blow, the creator of Braid. It is a great listen, which I suggest people to do.

[quote name='as50193']Just to let fans of the game know, the podcast 1upFM has an interview with Johnathan Blow, the creator of Braid. It is a great listen, which I suggest people to do.[/quote]Thanks, downloading now. Any idea when the Braid talk starts?

EDIT- Nevermind, it starts right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my 3rd run through the game was under an hour. I beat the game the first time. Then my first speed run was about 69 minutes. My second speed run was a little over 45 minutes.

I'd like to know what standards these games are living up to in determining their price on arcade.

Question for CAGs: I have 1200 points, am interested in Braid and BC: Rearmed. Should I get Braid or should I get BC: Rearmed and a 400 point title ?

Depends on what type of games you like.

I've been playing through Braid for a while, I like it but I don't think it was worth the 1200 points, but a lot of that is I'm not a huge puzzle game fan and get annoyed and find some of the puzzles pretty obtuse (i.e. had to look up what to do and it was something I'd never have thought of).

But if you're really into puzzlers, then it may be worth it as it is a very well done game for sure in terms of most of the game design, graphics, music etc.

Help!!

I installed a new HDD and went back to Braid, and it will not load my old game. I deleted it and reinstalled it, and still no luck. A memory search of the HDD shows a save with 22 pieces, but the game wants to start fresh. What's worse, I replayed the first two puzzles completely yesterday and went back to it today, and it's starting me over again. It even boots up as if it's the demo, asking me to unlock the full game when it's already unlocked. Anyone have suggestions?

[quote name='psychobrawler']Help!!

I installed a new HDD and went back to Braid, and it will not load my old game. I deleted it and reinstalled it, and still no luck. A memory search of the HDD shows a save with 22 pieces, but the game wants to start fresh. What's worse, I replayed the first two puzzles completely yesterday and went back to it today, and it's starting me over again. It even boots up as if it's the demo, asking me to unlock the full game when it's already unlocked. Anyone have suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Easy to fix. Simply go to "download' the game again, and then hit on "Download Again". Doing this, will re-download and activate it, but it will still keep your files and everything else.

It doesn't have to re-download anything, it just has to activate on your new HDD.

So, just go re"download" it, and it should work. If not, call up MS (1-800-4MY-XBOX).

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Easy to fix. Simply go to "download' the game again, and then hit on "Download Again". Doing this, will re-download and activate it, but it will still keep your files and everything else.

It doesn't have to re-download anything, it just has to activate on your new HDD.

So, just go re"download" it, and it should work. If not, call up MS (1-800-4MY-XBOX).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, tried that with no luck. I was hoping to avoid calling the xbox number. Thanks though.

[quote name='The 7th Number']If it came with music that played in the background of the menu, then i would buy it. :D[/quote]

I bought it anyway because it looks awesome, plus the default theme is boring.

[quote name='psychobrawler']Yeah, tried that with no luck. I was hoping to avoid calling the xbox number. Thanks though.[/quote]Try hitting the guide button when the game is initially loading up (where it says "loading") and then exiting the guide. I'm pretty sure that will fix it, but you're going to have to do this every time you start up Braid. That's one of two glitches that Blow admitted were problems, and he said he was working on a fix, but it doesn't look like it will ever happen.

I finally bought and played this game recently and loved it. I'll admit that I broke the rules and used a walkthrough for some of the puzzles, because I didn't have the patience.

the game is NOT worth 1200 pts. It is a great game but it only last an hour.... and there is not that much replay value at all. I was disappointed in the length of the game and I wish that I did not pay $15 for it. I could maybe understand 800 pts.

[quote name='The 7th Number']If it came with music that played in the background of the menu, then i would buy it. :D[/QUOTE]

QFT. I never even knew this was available. Microsoft has made such a big deal about their new XBE and the avatars to the point of exhaustion. Themes are an extraneous use of money, but they are much cooler now with these premium themes than ever before. I wonder why they don't announce these better...I had no idea about Braid and I'm tempted to get it. The music would make it an instant buy.

I would def get BC: Rearmed. It will last you alot longer and its cheaper... Braid is only good for a day.

[quote name='PacManster17']I'd like to know what standards these games are living up to in determining their price on arcade.

Question for CAGs: I have 1200 points, am interested in Braid and BC: Rearmed. Should I get Braid or should I get BC: Rearmed and a 400 point title ?[/quote]

[quote name='PacManster17']Question for CAGs: I have 1200 points, am interested in Braid and BC: Rearmed. Should I get Braid or should I get BC: Rearmed and a 400 point title ?[/quote]

I'd pick Braid, if you're looking for something new. Originally goes a long way in my book, even if the game is shorter.

Indie developer Jonathan Blow of Braid fame says he wanted the newly released premium theme for his critically acclaimed title to be free. The content is priced at the standard 250
microsoftpointslogosmall.gif
($3.12 USD) rate.

"We want to make it free, but Microsoft doesn't like giving things out for free," Blow wrote on the Braid blog.

Source Xbox360fanboy.com

Wow that sucks. I would have loved to have it for free. But i dont want to pay 250 points for it when i already have a GOW premium theme.

[quote name='wide18receiver']the game is NOT worth 1200 pts. It is a great game but it only last an hour.... and there is not that much replay value at all. I was disappointed in the length of the game and I wish that I did not pay $15 for it. I could maybe understand 800 pts.[/quote]You're 5 months late to the party.

I'm still thinking about picking up the theme even though MS forced the high price on them. I question whether Blow really minds the $15 price tag on the game, and the $3 price tag on the theme. He's probably making more money while looking sympathetic since the big companies are forcing the prices on his products.

[quote name='wide18receiver']the game is NOT worth 1200 pts. It is a great game but it only last an hour.... and there is not that much replay value at all. I was disappointed in the length of the game and I wish that I did not pay $15 for it. I could maybe understand 800 pts.[/QUOTE]

If you played this in an hour, you didn't get all the pieces or you used a walkthrough. Either way, it completely undercuts the joy of this game.

I installed a new HDD and went back to Braid, and it will not load my old game. I deleted it and reinstalled it, and still no luck. A memory search of the HDD shows a save with 22 pieces, but the game wants to start fresh. What's worse, I replayed the first two puzzles completely yesterday and went back to it today, and it's starting me over again. It even boots up as if it's the demo, asking me to unlock the full game when it's already unlocked. Anyone have suggestions?[/QUOTE]

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=321

Looks like it's not a new issue, similar to a known bug. I wonder if Microsoft ever figured it out. Which means I should load mine soon, I recently upgraded to the 120GB HDD and haven't played this on there yet. :(

[quote name='psychobrawler']If you played this in an hour, you didn't get all the pieces or you used a walkthrough. Either way, it completely undercuts the joy of this game.[/quote]
This.

Except for the stars. How someone found the star star within the first month or two is just ridiculous.

[quote name='sj41']

I'm still thinking about picking up the theme even though MS forced the high price on them. I question whether Blow really minds the $15 price tag on the game, and the $3 price tag on the theme. He's probably making more money while looking sympathetic since the big companies are forcing the prices on his products.[/quote]
I'm probably going to pick up the theme as well, even though I really hate paying for something that should be free. It's just too nice looking to not get it.

Finally got a chance to finish this over the Christmas break. My god, the music in surround sound is fantastic. I've yet to get the stars maybe I'll play through it again one day. I wonder what Blow will add for the PC version.

I installed a new HDD and went back to Braid, and it will not load my old game. I deleted it and reinstalled it, and still no luck. A memory search of the HDD shows a save with 22 pieces, but the game wants to start fresh. What's worse, I replayed the first two puzzles completely yesterday and went back to it today, and it's starting me over again. It even boots up as if it's the demo, asking me to unlock the full game when it's already unlocked. Anyone have suggestions?[/quote]

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=321

Outlook not so good, man... :(

(Do read the comments, though, there are some solutions in there, but unlike some of the posters in there I don't have 2 360s to try this out on)

To anyone else going through this, I did try just tapping my guide button constantly through the loading process, and it seems to work pretty consistently. If it doesn't, I've been able to back out and try again and get it to load on my second attempt.

I'm now at 55/60 pieces with no help. Fantastic game. Glad I was able to save and get back to playing it.

After playing the first 2 levels, I have no idea how anyone could get all the puzzle pieces without a guide. Half are simple; the other half seemingly impossible given the hero's limited skill set. Fun game, though. I'm happy with my purchase.

I'll get this on the PC. At $10, I still find this overpriced simply because the game has no replay value once completed. And completing it only takes a couple hours, perhaps a couple more to get every single puzzle piece...

[quote name='SynGamer']I'll get this on the PC. At $10, I still find this overpriced simply because the game has no replay value once completed. And completing it only takes a couple hours, perhaps a couple more to get every single puzzle piece...[/QUOTE]

Has there been any news regarding a PC release lately?

Edit: Next month? Sweet :) I've been hoping this would be ported so that my Dad could enjoy it.

This game seriously only takes a few hours? I usually have to multiply that by two for myself. Can others let me know about how many hours it took them? I'm seriously tempted to get this for 800.

Probably 3 to four hours, plus another hour or two if you want to get the speed run achievement. Add at least another 2 hours (kinda) if you want all the Stars.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']This game seriously only takes a few hours? I usually have to multiply that by two for myself. Can others let me know about how many hours it took them? I'm seriously tempted to get this for 800.[/quote]Buy the game.

The game's definitely not worth 1200 IMO. It's barely worth 800. I mean...there's no real replay value here. Maybe to get the Stars to
get the Alternate ending
but that'd require me to start the game over again.

bread's done
Back