XBLA - Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night - 800pts

peteloaf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
UPDATE: Confirmed 3/21, 800 points ($10)

[quote name='Official Press Release']Journey Into the Darkness With “Castlevania: Symphony of Night” on Xbox Live Arcade

Celebrate more than two decades of the Castlevania franchise by reliving (or experiencing for the first time) one of the series’ most highly regarded games. The legendary 2D side-scrolling action adventure game from Konami Digital Entertainment, “Castlevania: Symphony of Night,” will be available for download on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 beginning Wednesday, March 21 at 0900 GMT (2 a.m. PDT).

The Castlevania franchise is well known for delivering exceptional quality in all elements that make a great game – story, music, level design, character development, gameplay and controls. In “Castlevania: Symphony of Night,” the 12th iteration of the series, gamers take on the role of Alucard, the half-vampire son of the blood-drinker Dracula, as he ventures into his infamous father’s foreboding castle. Along the way, Alucard must collect items, weapons and armor to defeat the powerful boss monsters that block access to key areas of the castle.

“Castlevania: Symphony of Night” is the first full console classic to appear on Xbox Live Arcade and offers dozens of hours of non-linear action RPG gameplay. “Castlevania: Symphony of Night” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated T for Teen (Animated Blood and Violence).
Game Features

• [*]Play the original version of the game or experience it in enhanced mode with improved graphics and modernized audio and sound effects
    [*]New native widescreen and high-definition support
    [*]Earn up to 12 Achievements and 200 Gamerscore points
More information is available at http://www.xbox.com/games/livearcade.[/QUOTE]

Found on Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/clips-castlevania-sotn-227239.php

Realy bad shaky camera of the worst Castlevania player ever, but it's something.

Kotaku also states the release date is February 10th - a Saturday...

Best 2D side scroller ever. A great game for XBLA... I'm surprised that it's smaller than 50 MB. I still own my PS1 copy so I won't be buying this one but anyone who hasn't played it should definitely check it out.

The obvious points...the 360 has a craptastic d-pad.
And like all three consoles, Live Arcade's DRM has too many issues.
And any gamer should already own this...

I'd rather see them just release it on disc, and better still do a new 2D Castlevania on a "big" system.

I'll be buying this as soon as it hits the arcade. I'll get past any problems, it's not like SOTN is known for it's crushing difficulty. Looking forward to the achivements as well. I'll continue to support Castlevania whenever I can.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Hopefully if a lot of people download it then Iga will get the message about fans wanting a 2D Castlevania on the consoles.[/QUOTE]

Hey, good point! :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']And like all three consoles, Live Arcade's DRM has too many issues.[/QUOTE]I'll just throw out a noob question here - if I put one of my Live arcade games on a memory unit, can I play the game on someone else's 360 (without copying it to their hard drive)? Or do I have to go through "Account Recovery" and all that crap just to bring my game to a friend's house?

Anyway, even though I have this already, I'll probably buy anyway. Both to play again, and simply to support the idea behind it (2-d greatness on a home console).

SOTN in 480p is well worth me buying this... I'll also dump my PS One version to make MORE than enough money to rebuy this one through XBL.

SOTN... progressive scan... :drool:

Those achievements are badass too.

Unlike many old arcade games that can't make the transition from standard screen TV width to HD width, Konami's Castlevania was retooled for wide-screen TVs. "On an HD TV it looks clean. The models are clean and better looking." But Konami hasn't changed the content a bit. The Xbox Live Arcade version will play exactly the same as the old PlayStation game, only in widescreen with cleaner models that don't break or artifact.

:drool: :drool:

And how they got past the 50 mb limit:

With old PlayStation games, most space was taken up with audio. Audio compression is so much better, and those files are compressed to a fraction of what they were. The sound is improved, and it's now more than two channels. We didn't cut anything."

That IGN preview, as usual, is way better than the shit Kotaku posted.

That lousy wanna be Victorian literature-like dialogue makes me want to play this immediately.

I don't know if I buy a 2/10 release date, but any time around that is fine by me.

EDIT: From the Achievements list:
Belmont's Revenge 45(points):Finish the game, including the inverted castle, as Richter.

Could you play as Richter in the PS version through the game? I thought only the Saturn did that.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'll just throw out a noob question here - if I put one of my Live arcade games on a memory unit, can I play the game on someone else's 360 (without copying it to their hard drive)? Or do I have to go through "Account Recovery" and all that crap just to bring my game to a friend's house?

Anyway, even though I have this already, I'll probably buy anyway. Both to play again, and simply to support the idea behind it (2-d greatness on a home console).[/QUOTE]

I believe if you store your profile on your memory unit and sign in with your profile you can play it as long as your connected to Xbox Live otherwise you will need to go through Account Recovery.

I keep my profile on my memory unit because I like the ability to sign on to live using my Xbox Live account at friends' houses.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Could you play as Richter in the PS version through the game? I thought only the Saturn did that.[/QUOTE]

No, you could... I think in the Saturn version you could play as Maria.

[quote name='Roufuss']No, you could... I think in the Saturn version you could play as Maria.[/QUOTE]

I remember being able to select Richter and Maria from the start in the Saturn version, but don't recall playing as Richter (aside from the intro) on PSX. Either way, a right challenging achievement.

[quote name='mykevermin']That lousy wanna be Victorian literature-like dialogue makes me want to play this immediately.

I don't know if I buy a 2/10 release date, but any time around that is fine by me.

EDIT: From the Achievements list:
Belmont's Revenge 45(points):Finish the game, including the inverted castle, as Richter.

Could you play as Richter in the PS version through the game? I thought only the Saturn did that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, if I remember right you had to enter the name "Richter" after you beat the normal game. I don't remember if it required getting a certain ending or if you really even had to beat the game at all. The inverted castle is pretty tough as him because his attacks don't increase the way Alucard's do.

EDIT: The way I worded that sounded dumb.

[quote name='mykevermin']I remember being able to select Richter and Maria from the start in the Saturn version, but don't recall playing as Richter (aside from the intro) on PSX. Either way, a right challenging achievement.[/QUOTE]

You had to put it in as your name I think.

[quote name='felixlighter']I believe if you store your profile on your memory unit and sign in with your profile you can play it as long as your connected to Xbox Live otherwise you will need to go through Account Recovery.

I keep my profile on my memory unit because I like the ability to sign on to live using my Xbox Live account at friends' houses.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you have to have a broadband internet connection and be signed in to live if you're playing a game you "bought" on any system except for the one you bought it on.

I have no idea why Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony don't just copy Apple's method which lets you authorize a system, and deauthorize it so a new one can be authorized. (In Apple's case you can do it with 5 systems at once, but even just a single system would be MUCH better than what the three console companies are doing.)

Yeah, that's kind of annoying. My church has a 360 downstairs so I was hoping to bring over UMK3 and play against people after service. I don't think it's usually connected to the internet though, oh well.

I'm liking the achievements list. I think the Richter achievement is the final "justification" I need for buying this... I never played through the game with him on the PS.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'll just throw out a noob question here - if I put one of my Live arcade games on a memory unit, can I play the game on someone else's 360 (without copying it to their hard drive)?[/QUOTE]

Yes, as long as your profile is on the memory card as well. Otherwise... well, I don't feel like typing up the possibilities, so just stick your profile on there as well.

[quote name='nasum']Something strikes me as odd about playing Mortal Kombat in a church...[/QUOTE]Hey, it's less violent than The Passion of the Christ...

[quote name='shipwreck']Yes, as long as your profile is on the memory card as well. Otherwise... well, I don't feel like typing up the possibilities, so just stick your profile on there as well.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK (and as I stated in an earlier post) that's not enough. You have to actually be signed in to the Live service.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!

[quote name='Wolfpup']AFAIK (and as I stated in an earlier post) that's not enough. You have to actually be signed in to the Live service.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please![/QUOTE]

No, you are right. In my mind, there is no such thing as an Xbox 360 that is not connected to Live.

I can't wait. After playing through PoR, and about to finish DoS, it has my hyped for the Best Castlevania ever. I wish I knew where my copy for PS1 was though.

fuck, they are releasing Settlers of Catan on there too?

I mean, I know I'm going to break down for a 360 someday, but Catan? That's like greasing the wheels with delicious, viscous candy.

I only learned to play it over the holiday but it is DAMN addicting.

[quote name='Roufuss']
And how they got past the 50 mb limit:

With old PlayStation games, most space was taken up with audio. Audio compression is so much better, and those files are compressed to a fraction of what they were. The sound is improved, and it's now more than two channels. We didn't cut anything."

That IGN preview, as usual, is way better than the shit Kotaku posted.[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it... I think if you put that game in an ordinary CD player the first track is the game and the other tracks are music. I'll try it when I get home from work.

So a little help here. I loved the first 4 Castlevanias on the NES/SNES, but played CotM on the GBA and wasn't very impressed compared to earlier efforts. Is SOTN more like the first 4 games or more like the GBA/DS series?

My favorite part of the video is "Is there a door or something I can go into?"

Seriously, who hasn't played this game? And if you havn't well, download it in Feb.

[quote name='felixlighter']Come to think of it... I think if you put that game in an ordinary CD player the first track is the game and the other tracks are music. I'll try it when I get home from work.[/QUOTE]Yeah, the bonus audio is like a techno remix of the CastleVania theme music, with Alucard speaking at the beginning (he warns you not to play the data track in a CD player, lol). They didn't use redbook audio for the in-game music, however. You'll need PSX audio extraction software, or an imported soundtrack, or the Lament of Innocence bonus CD sampler to hear that.

Did anyone else catch the "Second Symphony" blurb in the new (February) EGM? Here's the pertinent text:

"Check back here next issue to get the exclusive scoop on the next Castlevania installment. Trust us--if you're a fan of SOTN, you'll want to sink your fangs into this killer exclusive."

Bracing myself for disappointment (i.e. just another DS game, not that there's anything wrong with that), but a home-console 2-D successor, finally? Dare to dream??

[quote name='guyver2077']did this game have fmv's at all?

i recently got this working on my psp but i might as well wait for the live version now[/QUOTE]
Yes. Like one or two very shitty ones.

350973082_6dec1e7110.jpg

Leaderboards?!?

[quote name='felixlighter']Come to think of it... I think if you put that game in an ordinary CD player the first track is the game and the other tracks are music. I'll try it when I get home from work.[/quote]
The only track there was was a techno remix of the CV theme, with Alucard talking at the beginning.

[quote name='mykevermin']I remember being able to select Richter and Maria from the start in the Saturn version, but don't recall playing as Richter (aside from the intro) on PSX. Either way, a right challenging achievement.[/quote]
Yes, you type Richter as your name.

I can't wait for this, I've played through SoTN about, oh, I'd say around 10+ times.

people forgot to mention you have to beat the game first before you can unlock richter with richter as your name.

It is too bad they couldnt add in the Saturn extra, otherwise it would be prefect.

[quote name='Roufuss']No, you could... I think in the Saturn version you could play as Maria.[/QUOTE]

Correct. The PSX version let you play as Richter if you finish the game with Alucard and enter your name as "Richter" next time you start. The Saturn version let you play as Maria and had a couple new stages, but at the expense of far worse graphics and longer load times.

good. looks like this might actually see the light of day.

complete release list for XBLA 2007:

February: SOTN

May: Catan

August: Patch for Lumines live

November: Alien Hominid (with fatal glitches, but with patch due out late 2008)

[quote name='Apossum']good. looks like this might actually see the light of day.

complete release list for XBLA 2007:

February: SOTN

May: Catan

August: Patch for Lumines live

November: Alien Hominid (with fatal glitches, but with patch due out late 2008)[/QUOTE]

Any word on when SFII's getting fixed?

[quote name='Chacrana']Any word on when SFII's getting fixed?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah, that's kind of annoying. My church has a 360 downstairs so I was hoping to bring over UMK3 and play against people after service.[/quote]
God says ... FINISH HIM!!!!

A sequel to SotN would so kick ass. I'm sure Iga has gotten the message that SotN needs to be the blueprint for any other Castlevania games going forward considering how many decent GBA / DS CV games there have been.

Most of all, I hope he's gotten the message that CV doesn't translate well to 3d when you just repeat the same rooms with the different monsters (Lament of Innocence IMO was the WORST CV to date).

P.S. I'd like to see CV 3 come either to XBLA or the Wii VC, I really liked that game.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
P.S. I'd like to see CV 3 come either to XBLA or the Wii VC, I really liked that game.[/quote]

Me too, though it would be cool if it were to be the Japanese version. Some weird memory restrictions and censorship issues caused the US version to be changed. Now the levels are the same and it plays the same, it's just the music and some of the background art has been changed.

bread's done
Back