XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bercelak']Which one's better game....Section 8 or Moon Diver?

-B[/QUOTE]
That's kinda like comparing apples to oranges isn't it?

Assuming Section 8 has a solid multiplayer community I'd say that would probably be your best bet. However, personally I picked up Moon Diver and passed on Section 8 because I don't like FPSs. I will be shocked if, when I get to Moon Diver, there is much of any online community to play with.

[quote name='Cysquatch']So I beat Hydrophobia....after that ending....I feel ripped off.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that was actually a jaw-dropping moment for me. Not jaw-dropping good. More like, "Seriously? That's it?"

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yet how much did you pay for it.[/QUOTE]

I know...I know but still....I didn't really expect what happened....

[quote name='Cysquatch']I know...I know but still....I didn't really expect what happened....[/QUOTE]

I still recall that day. My husband was watching me play. Then I was like, "What? What?!"

Still debating whether or not I should pick up both Outland and Wakfu. Reading the posts here tells me I should get Outland since I heard the whole campaign can be done cooperatively, but I'm on the fence with Wakfu. Played it for about 45 minutes on two separate occasions (on release and during this sale), and I still can't decide. I've already purchased Torchlight and Trouble Witches Neo so far though.

Can't speak highly enough for Outland. I've only played it solo for a couple hours, so it's totally worthy of 5 bucks.

If you're trying to figure out if a game is still worth it after reading the reviews and playing the demo, then I kinda have this theory:
If I can get at least an hour of *enjoyable* gameplay for every dollar I spend on a game, then it's worth the purchase.

(I've always been a big RPG player, so that's how I've justified getting those games. Spending $40-50 bucks for a 40-50 hour RPG is totally worth it in my opinion.)

[quote name='Ma12kez']Still debating whether or not I should pick up both Outland and Wakfu. Reading the posts here tells me I should get Outland since I heard the whole campaign can be done cooperatively, but I'm on the fence with Wakfu. Played it for about 45 minutes on two separate occasions (on release and during this sale), and I still can't decide. I've already purchased Torchlight and Trouble Witches Neo so far though.[/QUOTE]

Outland is good and for the 400 msp, it's definitely worth the purchase. I got it @ launch and well worth the price. Wakfu I passed on even at the price. I don't see much point to the game and feels like a chore. I too spent over 45 minutes trying to get into the game and enjoy it but just can't. Still debating on Moon Diver though..

[youtube]WLUzXfPMKaE[/youtube]

If you like platformers with lots of grinding like Castlevania: HotD and Hard Corps: Uprising, Moon Diver is a great buy. The game doesn't explain its mechanics/secrets to you very well, but there are Achievement guides and such on the net for that. Going through the levels looking for secret exits and MC techniques (spells) is pretty enjoyable. Killing enemies/grinding to level up is pretty fun too - max out your ATK and you get really buff. Four player online's good too.

I have to thank all from this thread to give me notice of the sales this week. Not once aside from the Gold Member exclusive D&D and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes deals has been on my dashboard. I get ads for "Real Steel", Bay "Transformers", FIFA, MLB, and random Kinect games (I still don't own the peripheral) ... so I guess the advertising is supposed to convince me to get stuff I am not interested in? I never saw the deal tab for all the awesome XBLA titles on sale. Without this thread, I would have not hauled in as much as I did.

I still do not know if I should regret not pulling the trigger on The Path of Go, since I do want to learn and get better at the game of Go. If I ever come to a decision where I do regret it, I hope it is as low as it was last Friday (or lower).

I did get Hydrophobia a while back when it was 400MSP, like many others I found it doing enough to not make me put it as a regret purchase, but I will not call it good either (I at least have some comments for it as a review ^^). It's ending is aburpt on the XBLA release, but I read the PSN and PC versions does go further [the were released later]; hopefully those versions end in a time that would be a better narrative stopping point, opposed to the XBLA's "... and, that's it"

Outland is as good as I had expected it to be, it was only a victim of its release time [came out with Trouble Witches Neo, which I wouldn't think would go on sale, along with a couple others in its surrounding weeks which I bought on-release]. My only reason for not getting it was "I ended out waiting this long to get it, I may as well wait it out for a sale on it." I've enjoyed the experience so far, but I haven't felt the game "open up" for exploration yet (feels sorta like a guided path with side outshoots for the collectable items, and a few taunts of locales which need to be backtracked to, such as Launch Pads).

Got Torchlight again because that's just value which cannot be denied. I've yet to try out Moon Diver, Section 8, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ... I hope they do not disappoint me.

Due to all of your comments on this thread, I was steered away from Islands of Wakfu, despite its great price point of 400MSP [I have a couple regret purchases even at 400MSP before].

I have to pay attention more to the Gold Membership and points thread, because I keep missing out on cheaper MSP lately. I will need more for this month's Xbox Live Rewards Program promotion. Given how I am eagerly awaiting to spend full asking prices for Guardan Heroes and NBA Jam: On Fire Edition (also hopefully the indie They Bleed Pixels).

It looks to be a great start to the month. The more deals, the easier it is for me to wait for a deal on Pinball FX2 tables/bundles.

I played the PC version of Hydrophobia and I'd like to trade endings. I'd kinda like to know how the Xbox version ends. The PC version supposedly has more of an ending, but it's not that good either. Forgive my memory, it was a bit hazy.

Ending in spoilers:
The scarfaced uninteresting big bad girl is revealed to be using the good guys research to make an evil human killing poison virus thingamajigger. In a gunfight to stop this nonsense, you're infected by it and are occasionally called upon to scramble for dead scientist carried medication to stave off the infection, always precisely 20 feet or so from where you get attacks of it. After fighting through the big main lobby and climbing up, you get water powers from the evil virus thingy and start splashing people everywhere while you chase down scarface. She has the cure or something. Finally, you catch up with her and she attacks you with a giant turret robot which you have to shoot with electricity ammo and water throw stuff at with your water powers. You destroy the robot. Scarface dies. And with not a word spoken you grab the antidote, stick yourself, finally lose the blue lines all over you, and pass out. THE END.

Note of course, if you actually expected any of this to be played for tension, drama, conflict, or resolution, then I ask you, what Hydrophobia did YOU play? I actually make it sound more interesting than it is.

^ On Monday, wonder what this week's dotw is going to be? Also it's new a new month, so what's October deals. Hopefully some great 800 MSP arcade games that become 400.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played the PC version of Hydrophobia and I'd like to trade endings. I'd kinda like to know how the Xbox version ends. The PC version supposedly has more of an ending, but it's not that good either. Forgive my memory, it was a bit hazy.

Ending in spoilers:
The scarfaced uninteresting big bad girl is revealed to be using the good guys research to make an evil human killing poison virus thingamajigger. In a gunfight to stop this nonsense, you're infected by it and are occasionally called upon to scramble for dead scientist carried medication to stave off the infection, always precisely 20 feet or so from where you get attacks of it. After fighting through the big main lobby and climbing up, you get water powers from the evil virus thingy and start splashing people everywhere while you chase down scarface. She has the cure or something. Finally, you catch up with her and she attacks you with a giant turret robot which you have to shoot with electricity ammo and water throw stuff at with your water powers. You destroy the robot. Scarface dies. And with not a word spoken you grab the antidote, stick yourself, finally lose the blue lines all over you, and pass out. THE END.

Note of course, if you actually expected any of this to be played for tension, drama, conflict, or resolution, then I ask you, what Hydrophobia did YOU play? I actually make it sound more interesting than it is.
[/QUOTE]

The XBLA ending ... I hope I got the spoiler tag right:

You go to rescue the guy with the bad Irish accent, find out he's not there, so you get tripped up and the guy who was the security officer points a gun at you. The end.

Yep, that's it, that's where it ends on the XBLA version. So you don't even finish that task, you just get some achievements for beating the game and unlock the tech demo mode where you throw water around.

So that was probably earlier than where the PC/PS3 version ends by a milestone. Given that ending, I feel it was more conclusive than the XBLA game which just ... stops, leaving any important character without any closure or resolution at a natural stopping point.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Geello']I bought Serious Sam: First Encounter. Why, oh why, did I buy this pile of shit? =([/QUOTE]

Care to substantiate that negative opinion with details?

By now I say good on arcade games since I got 5 games in past week alone, REALLY want some DLC deals. I'm hoping with Dance Central 2 coming out this month we got some deals on it and Halloween centric stuff meaning Left 4 Dead 2 (c'mon Sacrifice!), Dead Space 2, FEAR 2, Castlevania: Lord of Shadow and Red Faction: Armageddon are all the stuff I need. So c'mon! MAKE IT HAPPEN, MICROSOFT!

If it doesn't I'll...just keep playing my games I have in my backlog as is.

And thank God I have a 250GB HDD.

I'm going to need to upgrade my HDD at the rate i'm going.

I just went over my trials list and I have a little less than 40 arcade/indie games I wanna buy. It's actually lower because of delisted games and stuff like the HDRemix beta. So stocked that very soon I'll have actually 'caught' up to all my intended purchases and then start focusing on buying stuff from Game Room.

[quote name='HDShadow']I had the opposite experience. The game is a blast when my friends and I are all playing.[/QUOTE]

Umm duh! I don't mean that in a bad way. It's awesome to have a "guys night out" where you all play online. Can actually decide before hand "we're playing $20 winner take all" before you play too, so it "actually means something!". I think what was meant about it being the "worst XBLA purchase" (and I'm in that camp too) is that 90% of the people playing have no idea what they're doing, and the other 10% can't take it serious because of that.

Yes it would be gambling, but they should have allowed us to actually wager Microsoft Points playing. Then it would "mean something".

I think Orcs Must Die comes out this Wednesday. Looks like a fun enough game, but with (a much better looking IMO) Dungeon Defenders coming out 2 weeks later, I'll surely be waiting for a sale.

Guardian Heroes on the 12th! CAG be damned I'm picking it up as soon as that shit hits the marketplace.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Assuming Section 8 has a solid multiplayer community I'd say that would probably be your best bet. However, personally I picked up Moon Diver and passed on Section 8 because I don't like FPSs. I will be shocked if, when I get to Moon Diver, there is much of any online community to play with.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it's already pretty sparse, which is a shame as it would be a lot of fun to co-op these levels with a full team. I've been relegated to late-night gaming lately but drop me a line when you start this if you want to co-op it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played the PC version of Hydrophobia and I'd like to trade endings. I'd kinda like to know how the Xbox version ends. The PC version supposedly has more of an ending, but it's not that good either. Forgive my memory, it was a bit hazy.
[/QUOTE]

Here's a youtube video of the ending. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2l7P2UiCY

I still think the game was worth the $5 I spent on it, but I did get pissed off at how it ended because I was just getting interested in the story.

[quote name='Geello']I bought Serious Sam: First Encounter. Why, oh why, did I buy this pile of shit? =([/QUOTE]

Game is an absolute classic. I'll take that over any over-rated Halo or GoW title any day.

Aw man... give it more of a chance than that. :) I haven't played it since its original incarnation came out about a decade ago (what's happening to my life???), but if you put yourself in the kill-everything mindset and can accept that the game has a thick layer of Croatian goofiness about it, it can be a blast. Maybe you need a coop partner?

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']Game is an absolute classic. I'll take that over any over-rated Halo or GoW title any day.[/QUOTE]

Seconded, thirded, and fourthdided.

Sam is the quintessential run n' gun FPS. If you're not down with that, so be it, but calling it a pile of shit is internet hyperbole in its purest form.

has Shadow Complex ever gone on sale, or is it still too much of a best seller to discount?
I happened to pick up an old OXM magazine and there was a great interview with the developers, which made me want to go back and finally play that game.

[quote name='100Proof']Seconded, thirded, and fourthdided.

Sam is the quintessential run n' gun FPS. If you're not down with that, so be it, but calling it a pile of shit is internet hyperbole in its purest form.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic game, if a gamer didn't grow up with wolfenstien, doom, heretic, etc... they probably wouldn't understand the crazy run and gun style. I love the game on pc.

[quote name='pasolini']has Shadow Complex ever gone on sale, or is it still too much of a best seller to discount?
I happened to pick up an old OXM magazine and there was a great interview with the developers, which made me want to go back and finally play that game.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it went half price. I remember checking out the demo and thinking it wasn't for me even at the sale price.

[quote name='pasolini']has Shadow Complex ever gone on sale, or is it still too much of a best seller to discount?
I happened to pick up an old OXM magazine and there was a great interview with the developers, which made me want to go back and finally play that game.[/QUOTE]
It went on sale for a few months back for I believe half or so.

it was on sale back in mid-April for 600 MS points (50% off)

It's been on sale several times. If you've waited this long, it's worth waiting for it to go on sale again.
http://xbldb.com/offer-details?offer=66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584108f6

I'm still debating on buying Might and Magic, how good/necessary is that story? I rushed through it just to get a feel for the gameplay and was surprised how much I had to go through to get to the first battle.

Shadow Complex is easily one of the best, if not the best, full priced games on XBLA. It's easily worth the $15. HOWEVER, being this is CAG I have to tell you that there is a 90-95% chance it will go on sale again. So if you can wait it out it almost assuredly will go on sale again and probably sooner than later.

I Honestly wouldn't be surprised if during the holiday season it goes on sale for 400 points. Though I did it get day one for full price and I can't deny it is great fun. Especially if you like Metroidvania kinda games.

[quote name='Fonz72']Fantastic game, if a gamer didn't grow up with wolfenstien, doom, heretic, etc... they probably wouldn't understand the crazy run and gun style. I love the game on pc.[/QUOTE]

agreed on Serious Sam first and second encounter games. awesome times. Love the new models and textures for the 360 version. the weird thing is they kept the console controls of the Xbox1 version (e.g., left trigger to jump) rather than change to more modern styles like Halo.

My friends and I used to set up LANs for the PC to play this game. Huge co-op gaming when the idea of co-op campaign was foreign. The draw distances were amazing and the maps were huge. Even when you run the old PC version at 1600x1200, it doesn't look nearly as good as the 360 version.

now, serious sam 2... that was a turd.

[quote name='Fonz72']Fantastic game, if a gamer didn't grow up with wolfenstien, doom, heretic, etc... they probably wouldn't understand the crazy run and gun style. I love the game on pc.[/QUOTE]

I did grow up with those and Serious Sam is a pale imitation at best. Levels of almost nothing but linear hallways and gimmick rooms and 100+ enemy encounters are almost the polar opposite of those classic shooters. How do people keep making those comparisons?

Serious Sam isn't especially bad but I can see it both ways on the quality.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I did grow up with those and Serious Sam is a pale imitation at best. Levels of almost nothing but linear hallways and gimmick rooms and 100+ enemy encounters are almost the polar opposite of those classic shooters. How do people keep making those comparisons?[/QUOTE]

Most weapons don't deal with reloading, being able to carry more than two weapons at once, health packs instead of auto regenerating health, terrible one-liners straight out of Duke Nukem. For a game that's over a decade old, it's design philosophy clearly leans towards those older FPS games. Even if Sam does deviate on certain aspects, the comparison is not unrealistic.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I did grow up with those and Serious Sam is a pale imitation at best. Levels of almost nothing but linear hallways and gimmick rooms and 100+ enemy encounters are almost the polar opposite of those classic shooters. How do people keep making those comparisons?

Serious Sam isn't especially bad but I can see it both ways on the quality.[/QUOTE]

You so crazy. Serious Sam is easily as great as everyone's been saying. It's as old-school as they come - just amped up a bit as only Serious Sam does.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I did grow up with those and Serious Sam is a pale imitation at best. Levels of almost nothing but linear hallways and gimmick rooms and 100+ enemy encounters are almost the polar opposite of those classic shooters. How do people keep making those comparisons?

Serious Sam isn't especially bad but I can see it both ways on the quality.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

According to my records I bought Shadow Complex on 6-14-2010 for 560 points. No idea how, but that's I paid. Slight chance it could be wrong, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Also: bought Trials HD for 400 on 11-25-2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back