Xbox 250GB S Int.HDD-& Wifi N-$299-Out Now|Kinect out 11/4|$199 Model and bundles

I'm waiting for the holiday bundles. I'd like a new system, but don't see a reason other than desire to be an early adopter. It's unlikely the trade-in value will stay this high, but I'm actually giving my old one to my mom (she's old) to stream netflix.

[quote name='reddjoey']I'm waiting for the holiday bundles. I'd like a new system, but don't see a reason other than desire to be an early adopter. It's unlikely the trade-in value will stay this high, but I'm actually giving my old one to my mom (she's old) to stream netflix.[/QUOTE]

the only reason to be an early adopter is the fact that gamestop is running a promotion. and i only see the current systems tanking in value since they are all highly prone to failure. resale value for 360s are pretty much already in the tank (trying to sell a console on CL for 100 bucks has been difficult).

also, do you really want to pay for xbox live for your mom?

I'm sure reddjoey will find ways to keep the XBL costs low. No one on CAG should be paying more than $20 for a year subscription, and in many cases, much lower than that. A lot of us are riding on free subs until 2013 because of that glitched promotion from a few months ago.

[quote name='shosh']the only reason to be an early adopter is the fact that gamestop is running a promotion. and i only see the current systems tanking in value since they are all highly prone to failure. resale value for 360s are pretty much already in the tank (trying to sell a console on CL for 100 bucks has been difficult).

also, do you really want to pay for xbox live for your mom?[/QUOTE]

Like Strell said, I'll find a deal. Maybe she'll want to play Gears and pwn some n00bs.

lol, as we speak the drive on my 360 wont read disc anymore. seems to think game disc are dvds and simply wont read them at all.

looks like MS has got me again. honestly, don't know why i keep paying MS, im going on my freaking 4th console now.

wonder if i can get something of value for a broken 360

[quote name='reddjoey']Like Strell said, I'll find a deal. Maybe she'll want to play Gears and pwn some n00bs.[/QUOTE]
as long as she isn't a dick and melee shotgun people

I wonder if I could trade in two systems to Gamestop? I have a Jasper I bought recently as well as a refurb sent from MS when my Falcon E74'd, with a 250GB and 20GB HDD respectively. I really have no use for the "features" of the new version, but $20 out-of-pocket is tempting. :)

[quote name='GizmoGC']Amazon pushed back slim for mr to be delivered on June 23. Argg.[/QUOTE]
Same here, but I ended up canceling because of it. I'll just get it later when maybe there is a deal or something.

[quote name='J7.']The new 360 uses the same X-Clamp on the chipset. http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?40645[/QUOTE]

fuck this shit. I'm modding the heck out of my 360 when I get it. And by modding the heck out of my 360 when I get it, I mean I'm going to dremel away the top of the enclosure and attach the biggest heatsink and fan combo I can possibly find.

I have the red resident evil Xbox 360. I remember reading about how it was the least prone to the rrod. I just don't know if it's worth trading in to get the new slim.

So the x-clamp is responsible for ALL problems that the 360 has had in the past then? Huh, I just thought all the errors happened because of heat.

Anyway, I'm super tempted with that GameStop TIV promo. I could get about $178 for my 60GB 360 w/ 512MB memory card + extra wireless controller. $122+tax for the 360S sounds pret-tay, pret-tay good. I could probably scrounge around and find some other stuff to increase that TIV too.

[quote name='MSP2008']I have the red resident evil Xbox 360. I remember reading about how it was the least prone to the rrod. I just don't know if it's worth trading in to get the new slim.[/QUOTE]

i have that same system and its very very quite. i have it sitting right next to a newer arcade and its easily twice as loud as my resident evil console. i wouldnt trade it in but thats just me. i have a pro console too, that im thinking about trading in to get it.

If it wasn't for me just geting the splinter cell 360 not long ago I would get this. My Pro rrod on me after years and was 366 days past the 3 year. A 3 year that started from the date I bought it was it was a 1 year and 2 year extended but any way, now I wish I would have held off. I did the transfer so I can't do that again for another year or else I would just buy the slim trasfer my account then take the splinter cell 360 back. Well I would atleast try. Hell I have not even opened the game that came with it.

WoAh, I was sitting here transferring my stuff to the new Slim and had to take a double take because I didn't realize it was on like the old one where it sounded like a damn wind tunnel.

I really don't get this about how loud the old ones were. Well not like everyone makes them out to be. My first one was fine and it was the old Pro back when you only had the Core and the Pro Skus. About 2 years later it started to get louder and the last few months till it died it was really loud but nothing that made me turn up my TV. After I fixed it the thing was really loud and that was when I had to turn up the TV. My Splinter Cell 360 I really don't hear much from it at all just like my old Pro when I first got it. Sure I can hear the fan some but nothing more so than a PC. Hell my computers some times seem louder than my new 360 and my old Pro when it was new.

Uh... ok, how bout this... the 4 times I've turned on my PS3 to play a game it's been NOTICEABLY quieter than my 360. (I just know someone's gonna say fanboi, troll, and/or hater instead of looking at it objectively...) :\

Edit: also, my 10 yr old desktop is quieter even if I had the disk drive on it spinning...

Glossy Black color, Chrome finish, touch sensitive power/eject buttons, built in Wi-Fi, internal HDD...sounds like it took the 360 another couple years to get up to what the PS3 had from launch....

Every Gamestop near me was sold out, but I did take advantage of the trade-in deal to reserve one from the next batch.

I spent $55 including tax after trading in my launch 360 (that never RR'd BTW), 2 extra controls, 2 headsets, 512mb memory card, wifi adapter and 20gb HDD. Not a horrible deal.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Glossy Black color, Chrome finish, touch sensitive power/eject buttons, built in Wi-Fi, internal HDD...sounds like it took the 360 another couple years to get up to what the PS3 had from launch....[/QUOTE]

Too bad the PS3 still doesn't have what the 360 has had since launch.

GAMES.

[quote name='Neo']Too bad the PS3 still doesn't have what the 360 has had since launch.

GAMES.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't? What are all those game cases under my TV filled with, then? Stop trying to one up one another with stupid comments. Obviously the PS3 has games. You can't even make an argument for it not having "great" games like the 360 since most of their libraries overlap at this point, unless you think Halo and Gears are the only decent 360 games.

Local BB had 20 today. They said they lasted a whole 2 hours. A CSR said it will be in the Sunday ad as he was building a display for it. I'd take that news with a grain of salt.

Also the 360 S won't red ring, but it will display a red light with an error.

so i got this new xbox via gamestops trade promo, and noticed this thing runs hella hot on the side (when vertical). its very quite, but i wonder if its better to lay it horizontally rather than vertically. seems there are vents on the top and bottom of the unit. i thought the touch sensitive controls were gonna be a problem and i was right. every time i handle the unit or try to retrieve a disc from the tray i accidentally hit the eject button. it sucks when i try to get a game out to have the tray close up on the disc.

Shit... On my old xbox if I'd hit the tray at all it would make the tray close while I was putting the disk in. I'd much rather "risk" a sensitive button I'd clearly avoid while putting a disk in than a tray that always closed on sensitive touch.

ESPN is really the only MS announcement that has me excited, as I watched a ton of college sports on ESPN360 (now called ESPN3). Was able to catch every televised game from my school between it and the nationally televised games.

Rage has promise as well. Otherwise it was just more tidbits on games I was already excited for like Gears 3 etc. and the motion control stuff that I have zero interest in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's something interesting:

Was playing on my new Slim for a bit, then the thing shuts off automatically when I was playing an online game of FIFA World Cup 2010. Look around and see that the light on the 360's power brick is red. Overheated.

What I don't get is that I had my old 360 in the same exact spot at the bottom of my entertainment cabinet. It NEVER overheated.

Anyone else having this problem?

[quote name='Regian']Well, here's something interesting:

Was playing on my new Slim for a bit, then the thing shuts off automatically when I was playing an online game of FIFA World Cup 2010. Look around and see that the light on the 360's power brick is red. Overheated.

What I don't get is that I had my old 360 in the same exact spot at the bottom of my entertainment cabinet. It NEVER overheated.

Anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]

Yikes. :headache:

I'm really hoping that this isn't an issue and just a freak occurrence. Otherwise, I'll be expecting a replacement of the power brick...yet again.

Dumb question, but did you dust the entire area where your new 360 and power brick are now? Dust might have gotten in there and done some damage but I really don't know.

[quote name='Pck21']Yikes. :headache:

I'm really hoping that this isn't an issue and just a freak occurrence. Otherwise, I'll be expecting a replacement of the power brick...yet again.

Dumb question, but did you dust the entire area where your new 360 and power brick are now? Dust might have gotten in there and done some damage but I really don't know.[/QUOTE]

Before I even put anything in, I went in with some cleaner and cleaned the entire area.

I'll be keeping my eye out on this thread, maybe this is something to discuss on my live show tomorrow. In any case, I really hope this is just a one-time deal.

[quote name='Regian']Before I even put anything in, I went in with some cleaner and cleaned the entire area.

I'll be keeping my eye out on this thread, maybe this is something to discuss on my live show tomorrow. In any case, I really hope this is just a one-time deal.[/QUOTE]

Damn, then I have nothing. Let's hope it was a fluke.

:knock on wood: I haven't had any problems so far. I did get two piece of wood to raise it up off the carpet while letting the bottom of it have airflow though.

[quote name='MSP2008']I have the red resident evil Xbox 360. I remember reading about how it was the least prone to the rrod. I just don't know if it's worth trading in to get the new slim.[/QUOTE]

Likely "least prone" because it was the least common. Might as well say the Simpsons yellow 360's were immune to RROD based on that. ;)

Fewer units mean fewer failures. It took a while for people to realize there were an abnormal number of launch 360's failing and practically 33% of those were failing.

On the Slim, mine is silent. Anyone who compares this unit to the standard 360's without talking about the silence is seriously shortchanging the main advantage of this unit. The S in Xbox 360 S on the serial code is not S for Slim, it's S for Silent. I switched not for the new hotness, but for the new quietness. The whine is gone. Finally. I hope Microsoft never does that again.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Shouldn't it be S for Savings since it uses over 50% less energy too. :p[/QUOTE]

You won't see a difference in your bill.

Got off the phone with Xbox support, they're sending me a replacement power supply. I should have it in about two or three weeks.

Looks like my PS3 is getting some love these next few weeks.

I really want to get a slim, but I keep telling myself no. I already have a 120GB Elite and a 60GB (that never gets played and is basically a media server in my bedroom...although, the connection seems spotty at best, even with N wireless in my house). I was thinking of trading that one in. My one BIG gripe is, no BLU-RAY still. I cannot believe more people did not complain. It's not like there is a format war anymore....Blu-Ray drives are cheap enough now. I just don't get it.

bread's done
Back