Xbox 250GB S Int.HDD-& Wifi N-$299-Out Now|Kinect out 11/4|$199 Model and bundles

We've already established that M$ fucked up on the Blu Ray part. They were screwed if they didn't they were screwed if they did. That hasn't changed.

It's sad really... I like hitting the drive button for that stupid *ding* sound. I need to record that and make it my txt message alert sound. xD

Sorry to double post

http://kotaku.com/5567850/microsoft-confirms-kinect-bundles-new-199-xbox-360

Ask the right questions, get the right answers. An internal marketing Q&A for Microsoft about confirm that Kinect will be bundled with consoles, and a $199 configuration of its new Xbox 360 will be available this fall. In its document, Microsoft said Kinect would be available as a standalone device and as "part of a bundle with the newly designed Xbox 360 console," but "we have no additional details about pricing or retail strategy to share at this time." Kinect bundles already sprouted up at GameStop, earlier this week, an Arcade bundle for $299 and an Elite bundle for $399.
An Arcade version of the new black Xbox 360 was also alluded to, although, read verbatim, the Microsoft document says simply:
Q: Will you sell a $199 version of the new Xbox 360?
A: We will offer a $199 Xbox 360 this fall.
There were no further details about this console's features, such as hard drive/onboard storage (if any) or WiFi, which is 250GB and internal, respectively, on the new Slim design. A $199 model would probably lack both. The current Arcade layout supports HDMI output so that would probably carry over, at least.
In case you're wondering, that's the promo shot of the 250GB layout, which one assumes will look the same externally. Microsoft has provided no images of the bundles or the $199 slim.

Could that the 120GB version that Tested.com came across?

[quote name='reddjoey']It's too late in the product's life to change formats. I agree with VipFREAK. MS didn't have a horse in that race.[/QUOTE]

How is adding a Blu-Ray drive changing formats? You do realize that Blu-Ray drives also read DVD's. I don't see how adding a Blu-Ray drive really would've screwed with MS that much. Yes, the cost probably would've went up, but Sony seems to keep their cost at $299. Essentially, they are the same console now, except the PS3 has BD. I own both systems, and enjoy both....but from a pure Media Player, I enjoy the PS3 more at this point.

The games are regular disks not blu ray. Sony probably has been taking more loss than profit on the PS3 in general in terms of what they were trying to ask for. New tech at the time they did it was a lot more expensive.

[quote name='VipFREAK']oh, oops. Those aren't easy to find cheap online?[/QUOTE]
not good ones. you can probably get a crappy n router for 40 bucks new. but to get a dual n router that does 300 mbps that good would run you over 100 bucks

[quote name='VipFREAK']I forgot I have to have an N router to be able to make use of the N adapter built into the 360 too. :\

I'm in no rush.[/QUOTE]The only benefit 802.11N is going to give you is if you're streaming lots of large files locally on your LAN. It won't make any difference for Internet connectivity or speed.

I am selling one of my 3 360s to a coworker to get some money towards one of these new 360s. I want to keep the better system out of the following two:

I have a Halo 3 system that I got from the Hot Topic deal a couple years ago for $180 and a Arcade system from Dell for $170 like last year. How can you tell if one has a Jasper chip set if they do at all? they both have relatively the same play time, I just want to sell the one which is more likely to have the worse chip set. Thanks.

Got it, loving it so far. The top gets a little hot but it might work out for in the winter. I could easily heat up some food or keep my coco warm.

[quote name='doubledown']How is adding a Blu-Ray drive changing formats? You do realize that Blu-Ray drives also read DVD's. I don't see how adding a Blu-Ray drive really would've screwed with MS that much. Yes, the cost probably would've went up, but Sony seems to keep their cost at $299. Essentially, they are the same console now, except the PS3 has BD. I own both systems, and enjoy both....but from a pure Media Player, I enjoy the PS3 more at this point.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh...no. It's not that simple to just add a Blu-ray player inside.

And as Microsoft has shown, not having Blu-ray (or an internal HD DVD in 2005) has led them to being #2 this generation - the same as last generation - and not going from #1 to #3, like Sony. Blu-ray is a great added bonus to buy a PS3, but nowadays you can buy a BD player for $100 that likely as more features, loads faster, uses less power and has more 'online' options. I guess if you are a kid and don't have the resources to buy your own BD player it makes sense.

Ouch, so Sony's PS3 as a Blu Ray player fails now too ehh? lol

Well I guess there's always the Everything else part whatever that is.

By changing formats I mean this: The only reason to put Blu-Ray in a game console is to increase the amount of space available on disk. Why would MS put in a drive that's only use is to push Sony's format without a benefit to the core use of the system? A Blu-Ray player that only plays movie would undermine Zune Marketplace, Netflix, etc. Why?

Back OT: My buddy said he was able to put a deposit down at GS to hold a system. They are expecting 3 shipments between now and July 9th. FYI: he lives in a small town.

[quote name='reddjoey']
Back OT: My buddy said he was able to put a deposit down at GS to hold a system. They are expecting 3 shipments between now and July 9th. FYI: he lives in a small town.[/QUOTE]
That happened to me today and I was shocked. It's not like it's a new kind of console. This is my first xbox but they let people buy them all to ebay them. I live in a small town, also.

edit: I think I'm 166th in line. I'm hoping I can get it by July

[quote name='GizmoGC'] Blu-ray is a great added bonus to buy a PS3, but nowadays you can buy a BD player for $100 that likely as more features, loads faster, uses less power and has more 'online' options. I guess if you are a kid and don't have the resources to buy your own BD player it makes sense.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 is still one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market. There is no $100 player that matches it in every respect. Cheap players, for instance, usually load much slower, not faster.

[quote name='nore']That happened to me today and I was shocked. It's not like it's a new kind of console. This is my first xbox but they let people buy them all to ebay them. I live in a small town, also.

edit: I think I'm 166th in line. I'm hoping I can get it by July[/QUOTE]

They are NOT supposed to sell any more than 1 to a person. I would contact corprate and rat out the store. But then again I'm the vindictive type.

[quote name='nore']That happened to me today and I was shocked. It's not like it's a new kind of console. This is my first xbox but they let people buy them all to ebay them. I live in a small town, also.

166? are you kidding me? a lot of people including me just walked into the store to get one. i guess im glad i was late 20 mins to class to pick one up right when they opened.

I was at a best buy the other day and they had 2 and the walmart I was at the guy said they will have some in next week. I would go some place else isntead of being put on a list that is 166 long.

Very similar experience as well. I live in New York and called several local GS but none of them had any in stock. Several expected small shipments over the next few weeks, but as mentioned, there are already waiting lists. There are 2 local BB's that have them in stock, but like many others here, I'd like to take advantage of the trade-in promo.

I didn't mean to sound so bitter about people buying extra xboxes when this will be my first. It just bothers me because I was checking the gs website constantly and they were never in stock when they actually were. I'll check back July 9th and go from there

Yeah, sounds like there solution to RROD problems was to put in a failsafe that shuts down the machine when it gets too hot, rather than building a machine that doesn't get too hot in the first place!

That's fine if it doesn't come up on consoles that are in open areas and only ones in tight cabinets etc. Would be annoying if it happens in long gaming sessions even when in a well ventilated position in an air conditioned room etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's fine if it doesn't come up on consoles that are in open areas and only ones in tight cabinets etc. Would be annoying if it happens in long gaming sessions even when in a well ventilated position in an air conditioned room etc.[/QUOTE]

I keep all my consoles in an unventilated cabinet. I might have to watch this issue for a bit - I'm debating on whether to get a new one but the Arcade unit I got last November works great - I just need more HDD space.

I just have a TV stand with 3 shelves under it that's open in the front in the back. Xbox 360 is currently on the hardwood floor beside the tv stand, with the shelved taken by the surround sound receiver, cable box/dvr and blu ray player.

I don't plan on upgrading. Price is low enough now that if my 360 RRODs out of warranty (which would be October), I'd just buy a new one. I don't use it enough to do a preemptive upgrade.

[quote name='eastx']The PS3 is still one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market. There is no $100 player that matches it in every respect. Cheap players, for instance, usually load much slower, not faster.[/QUOTE]

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037627,62059977,00.htm

Wrong. You can't say something is better when it's not true. And that's from players that are already discontinued. If you want to read more, see here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7219480&postcount=2668

Which I go into several aspects by Blu-ray is not the best Blu-ray player anymore. It's slower, it has less features (no Netflix built in, no VuDu, no Pandora, No Cinemanow, can't play MKVs etc.). In 2008, sure. in 2010? It's not. I really wish people would stop spouting off incorrect facts because they think what they have is the best.

Yeah, the PS3 is still a very solid Blu Ray player, but it's not at the top of lists of best on the market anymore, and hasn't been for a while.

Still a great deal for someone that wants an HD console and a BR player though.

[quote name='GizmoGC']no Netflix built in,[/quote]

but you get it with a disc and it'll be available for download the second the exclusivity contract runs out

no VuDu, no Pandora, No Cinemanow, can't play MKVs etc.).

--never heard of it
--who cares
--never heard of it
--convert it
--what else falls under "etc."?

[quote name='ninja dog']but you get it with a disc and it'll be available for download the second the exclusivity contract runs out
--never heard of it
--who cares
--never heard of it
--convert it
--what else falls under "etc."?[/QUOTE]

Awesome! So you can just wait until it becomes available without a disc...in the mean time, every other Blu-ray player has it built-in along with my iPad and soon iPhone.

And sorry you don't know, nor care about anything else which is helping Blu-ray player sales right now. Alot of other people do care about that. But let me guess, who cares because the PS3 plays games!!!1 Not knowing, nor caring, shows how little you know about the current state of Blu-ray players and nothing I say will change your opinion how awesome the PS3 is. Even with proof it lacks features other BD players have and they are faster and use less power... But hey, party like it's 2008.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about the Xbox 360. There is a PS3 subforum if you want to talk it up.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Awesome! So you can just wait until it becomes available without a disc...in the mean time, every other Blu-ray player has it built-in along with my iPad and soon iPhone. [/quote]

Yeah, you can wait! and in the meantime, you can use netflix on your PS3 to watch movies! Torturous, I know. :lol:

And sorry you don't know, nor care about anything else which is helping Blu-ray player sales right now. Alot of other people do care about that. But let me guess, who cares because the PS3 plays games!!!1 Not knowing, nor caring, shows how little you know about the current state of Blu-ray players and nothing I say will change your opinion how awesome the PS3 is. Even with proof it lacks features other BD players have and they are faster and use less power... But hey, party like it's 2008.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about the Xbox 360. There is a PS3 subforum if you want to talk it up.

Okay, I informed myself:
Vudu-- wait, but I already have netflix.
Cinemanow -- wait, but I already have netflix

Try not to blow a gasket there, comic book guy

[quote name='ninja dog']Yeah, you can wait! and in the meantime, you can use netflix on your PS3 to watch movies! Torturous, I know. :lol:

Okay, I informed myself:
Vudu-- wait, but I already have netflix.
Cinemanow -- wait, but I already have netflix

Try not to blow a gasket there, comic book guy[/QUOTE]

As long as you have the disc in the system you can.

As for VuDu/CinemaNow, you clearly don't know what they do if you said Netflix is the same thing. Let' me know if you can watch Shutter Island on Netflix Instant streaming. No, I'll wait right here.

Enjoy spreading mis-information.

[quote name='GizmoGC']As long as you have the disc in the system you can.

As for VuDu/CinemaNow, you clearly don't know what they do if you said Netflix is the same thing. Let' me know if you can watch Shutter Island on Netflix Instant streaming. No, I'll wait right here.

Enjoy spreading mis-information.[/QUOTE]

i'm not spreading anything, I'm just having fun trolling you.

also, why would I stream Shutter Island when I can rent the blu-ray from netflix?

[quote name='ninja dog']
also, why would I stream Shutter Island when I can rent the blu-ray from netflix?[/QUOTE]

Instant gratification vs. having to wait?

I wish there were more new releases on Netflix's instant watch. Takes a while for me to get blu ray new releases for some reason.

I honestly think I get revers throttled on them since I often keep a disc for 2-3 weeks before getting around to watching it. One example, A Serious Man is still listed as "Very Long Wait" for me and has been since launch.

Avatar though, I got right away, so it varies by whether it's a blockbuster they have a ton of copies of.

yeah, but I bought a system with a blu-ray player for a reason. and I get movies in a day.

Unless the goal posts have changed yet again and now both the fact that it plays blu-ray movies and games BOTH don't count on the list of PS3 features anymore.

Maybe we can add "Kinect menu navigation while standing up" to the list of amazing 360 exclusive features as well?

Blu Ray is definitely still a selling point for the PS3 for sure, I said that much above.

I went 360 and standalone BR player myself as I don't game enough to need a 2nd console, and mainly only playing FPS and WRPG games, few PS3 exclusives really interest me much anyway.

With Netflix, I get the standard 3 day turnaround--i.e. ship a disc back on Monday get new one on Wednesday. I just have issues with new releases--could get them right away on DVD, but the Blu Rays stay on very long wait for 2+ weeks after they're available to rent for most titles. Which is especially annoying on titles from the studios which already make Netflix wait a month past the on-sale date to get their rental copies.

So I'd love to see more new releases on the streaming service, and will definitely be looking for those kind of features in my next Blu Ray player. Definitely Netflix since I probably won't buy a console after the 360, so I'll need another easy way to stream Netflix on my TV (no RGB input).

Personally I can't wait until the future when companies like Netflix can have their entire collections available to stream and we don't have to worry about discs at all.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I must be the only person that doesn't have Netflix...[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one.

[quote name='ninja dog']i'm not spreading anything, I'm just having fun trolling you.

also, why would I stream Shutter Island when I can rent the blu-ray from netflix?[/QUOTE]

I fully get you are trolling, which is why I am correcting you. I'd hate to see people buy a PS3 on your silly incorrect information. Unless you a Doc have figured out how to go back in time, the PS3 is not the best Blu-ray player on the market. Far from it.

[quote name='Chuplayer']You're not the only one.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much only have Netflix for Instant viewing. With 3 of the major studios holding back on rentals, they are pretty much useless for Day and Dates. But there are plenty of other ways to to watch movies besides Blu-ray.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I fully get you are trolling, which is why I am correcting you. I'd hate to see people buy a PS3 on your silly incorrect information. Unless you a Doc have figured out how to go back in time, the PS3 is not the best Blu-ray player on the market. Far from it.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wow

i never even said it was the best blu-ray player. the only thing I'm hoping to get people to do is to make them laugh. at you.

bread's done
Back