Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Has anyone checked the previously non-supported games, specifically Crackdown? Because Crackdown's supposed to be on Games of Demand when it launches.

[quote name='KingBroly']Has anyone checked the previously non-supported games, specifically Crackdown? Because Crackdown's supposed to be on Games of Demand when it launches.[/QUOTE]

Checked and Crackdown still isn't supported.

I already checked the three Burger King games (Sneak King, Big Bumpin', Pocketbike Racer) and those are still unsupported for HDD installation. Crackdown suffers from the same fate as does NBA Ballers: Chosen One. It would be safe to assume, then, that the rest of the uninstallable titles remain that way for the new NXE.

BTW, where did you hear that Crackdown was going Games On Demand?

It was on one of the E3 demo units seen in videos.

Oh, and one more piece of installation news:

Rock Band 2
- Was: 6.3gb
- Now: 4.6gb

A savings of 1.7gb

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway - 5.0GB
The Bourne Conspiracy - 5.0GB
Conflict: Denied Ops - 4.8GB
Guitar Hero 3 - 3.4GB
Bully: Scholarship Edition - 3.0GB
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails - 2.4GB
The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena - 6.7GB
Civilization Revolution - 4.9GB
The Club - 4.7GB
Burnout Revenge - 3.6GB
Condemned: Criminal Origins - 3.4GB
Condemned 2: Bloodshot - 6.8GB
The Darkness - 6.8GB
Culdcept Saga - 4.6GB
Dance Dance Revolution 3 - 3.6GB
Dark Sector - 1.3GB
Namco Museum Virtual Arcade - Not Supported. This is probably the first game to fail HDD installation since the new NXE update.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dumlaox']Namco Museum Virtual Arcade - Not Supported. This is probably the first game to fail HDD installation since the new NXE update.[/QUOTE]

Odd. Did you give the game enough time to load up? I know the 'Game Options' button sometimes takes a few seconds to load up...

SynGamer - I waited and once the option came up, I got the same message I did from Crackdown. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the XBLA Unplugged and Arcade discs will do the same thing now that the system is doing a better job of trimming down the fat.

Matt2005USAF - Which one? Remember, there's PGR3 and PGR4.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot - 6.8GB
The Darkness - 6.8GB
Culdcept Saga - 4.6GB
Dance Dance Revolution 3 - 3.6GB
Dark Sector - 1.3GB

That confirms it. Looks like all of the compilation discs that we used to be able to install before have been disabled here. Oh well, no performance gain from them anyway so no real loss here I suppose.

[quote name='SynGamer']really shows just how much MS screwed us over before. [/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? I hardly think that improving the compression used to store games on the hard drive was them "screwing us over."

This is undoubtedly for their upcoming Games on Demand section. Increased compression abilities for huge titles like Mass Effect will go a long way for making the games a little bit more "on demand."

[quote name='DustoMan']What the hell are you talking about? I hardly think that improving the compression used to store games on the hard drive was them "screwing us over."[/QUOTE]

1. They aren't compressing the games, they're stripping the dummy/padding files. 2. The size of the games were inflated by 2+GB for some games. A 20GB HDD would run out quickly where as with these new sizes, you can fit a good number of games on your HDD.

So these are for sure still running completely off the Drive right. This change is due to MS compression tech and not that it is reading small amounts of data off of the disc even when installed?

It's still reading off the HDD when you install the game. The only time it ever goes to the DVD is for verification purposes.

Dead Or Alive 4 - 6.7GB
Devil May Cry 4 - 6.5GB
Dead Space - 6.4GB
DiRT - 6.1GB

[quote name='JDUB X']So these are for sure still running completely off the Drive right. This change is due to MS compression tech and not that it is reading small amounts of data off of the disc even when installed?[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with MS compressing anything. Games on disk come with dummy files and padding to help the data be read faster off the disk. MS simply omitted that data when installing the games (no need for the padding/dummy files).

GTA IV: 6.5GB
Saints Row 2: 6.8GB
Test Drive Unlimited: 3.4GB
Hitman Blood Money: 4.9GB
Prince of Persia: 5.2GB
The Force Unleashed: 6.4GB

I have the new preview update and these are the new game install sizes. I'm done with this for today, but I may do some more tomorrow if I have time.

Enchanted Arms - 6.6GB
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 5.9GB
Eat Lead: The Return Of Matt Hazard - 5.5GB
Full Auto - 3.3GB
DragonBall Z: Burst Limit - 3.2GB

And that's it from me for the day. This is some tedious (and necessary) work but I have to play something before I go nuts. I'll continue helping with the updates tomorrow.

PGR4 - 5.8GB
Silent Hill Homecoming - 4.8GB - Disc Loading: 11.2sec HDD Loading: 6.6sec
Hitman: Blood Money - 4.9GB - Disc Loading 15.4sec HDD Loading: 12.9sec

I just finished reinstalling all of the games on my hard drive (with the August update) and saved about 7.0 GB in total. These are new install sizes for games not updated on the list:

GRAW 1: was 5.2 GB - now 4.8 GB
Saints Row 1: was 6.8 GB - now 6.8 GB
Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc: was 5.9 GB - now 4.2 GB
Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Volume 1: was 3.4 GB - now "Installation of this game isn't supported" :whistle2:( (it says this when you choose Install to Hard Drive)

(NTSC-U/C versions)

Edit: I went back and double checked XBLA Unplugged just to be sure, install no longer supported

More updated install sizes from the new Dash update:

Chromehounds: 3.5 GB
Clive Barker's Jericho: 3.1 GB
Devil May Cry 4: 6.5 GB
Eternal Sonata: 6.7 GB
FarCry Instincts: Predator: 4.5 GB
F.E.A.R: 3.8 GB
F.E.A.R Files: 6.2 GB
Frontlines: Fuel of War: 6.3 GB
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2: 6.8 GB (No Change)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: 6.8 GB (No Change)
Mirror's Edge: 5.5 GB
N3: Ninety-Nine Nights: 5.4 GB
Perfect Dark Zero: 4.9
Resident Evil 5: 6.7 GB
Sonic the Hedgehog: 5.2 GB
Soul Calibur VI: 4.3 GB
Splinter Cell: Double Agent: 6.7 GB
Star Trek: Legacy: 4.7 GB
Tomb Raider: Anniversary: 3.0 GB
Tomb Raider: Legend: 6.6 GB
Tomb Raider: Underworld: 6.6 GB
Turok: 6.4 GB
Two Worlds: 2.9 GB

Here's some I've noticed (poss. duplicates):

Game: Old Dash: Summer 09 Dash:
Amped 3: 6.70Gb 6.00Gb
Beautiful Katamari: 3.40Gb 2.70Gb
Fable 2: 6.80Gb 6.60Gb
Fallout 3: 5.90Gb 5.50Gb
Far Cry 2: 4.50Gb 3.60Gb
Gears Of War 2: 6.70Gb 6.30Gb
GTA IV: 6.80Gb 6.50Gb
Left 4 Dead: 5.00Gb 3.70Gb
Saints Row 2: 6.80Gb 6.80Gb (No Change)
Burnout Paradise: 3.40Gb 2.80Gb
Fatal Intertia: 3.40Gb 1.00Gb (2.4Gb saved!)
Bully: Scholarship Edition: 3.40Gb 3.00Gb
Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection: 3.40Gb 698Mb (2.7Gb saved!)
Ninja Gaiden II: 6.8Gb 6.7Gb

I didn't know they had even been working on this.
It's really good to know that MS has been listening to people. They know we want smaller install sizes. Unless they have plans on releasing a terabite drive some day (for a kazillion dollars), they had to do something to get sizes down a bit. especially with "games on demand" starting up soon.

From what I can see EU installs seem to be exactly the same size as US installs. These are what I've installed so far on the preview programme (all PAL/EU titles):

[Prototype] - 6.8GB
Fallout 3 - 5.5GB
Fatal Inertia - 1.0GB
FUEL - 3.7GB
GTA IV - 6.5GB
Halo Wars - 5.7GB
Rock Band 2 - 4.6GB

Is it safe to assume that all other EU titles will also be the same size as their US counterparts? If so, I can start installing some untested games.

two games that i installed on the new preview-dash

GH: Aerosmith: 4.4 GB (0.1 GB less than before)
Lost Via Domus: 4.0 GB (0.2 GB less than before)

btw I'm new here and I wonder how I can get my gamercard as my signature. Thanx in advance!

My contribution (possible dupes)

Game Before After

Gun *** 2.1
Lego Star Wars: Complete Series 5.8 5.7
Lego: Indiana Jones 4.4 3.5
Burnout Paradise 3.4 2.8
Fable 2 6.8 6.6
Battlestations: Pacific 5.0 4.9
Rockband 2 6.3 4.6
Scene It: LCA 6.8 5.6

Total savings for me of 5 gigs of space!

[quote name='Insider']
Is it safe to assume that all other EU titles will also be the same size as their US counterparts? If so, I can start installing some untested games.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that the EU guy I posted earlier with the COD4 and COD:WaW sizes was totally off base, throwing us off a bit. If you can do us a favor and check the install size for COD:WaW (assuming you have it) that would let us know if the EU and US sizes really match or not. It would really be awesome if those sizes were the same as it would help us get the list updated more quickly.

Back to the grind for me. Once I get game sizes done I'll be going back to performance checking once more.

[quote name='Insider']
Is it safe to assume that all other EU titles will also be the same size as their US counterparts? If so, I can start installing some untested games.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure yet, as the COD installs are varying.

It's going to depend on the game, what languages are included on the disc (there can be multiple EU/PAL versions of the same game), whether the game has multilingual audio (more audio = more MB) instead of subtitles. Then you have German games where the content can be completely modified to suit their culture. The UK versions are more likely to be similar to their US counterparts but I wouldn't assume it 100%.

All Games Are US installs

Fight Night Round 3 - 3.4gb >>> 3.2gb
Rock Band 2 - 6.3gb >>> 4.6gb
UFC 2009 - 6.7gb >>> 6.6gb
Prey - 5.0gb >>> 4.3gb
Red Faction: Guerrilla - 6.5 >>> 6.4gb
Tom Clancys EndWar - 5.1gb >>> 4.8gb

G-Force - 4.4GB - BLUE - Just reaches the minimum for the color when loading from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
Training - 4 seconds
Level 1 - 7 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
Training - 3 seconds
Level 1 - 4 seconds

--------------------------

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - 698MB

This lends some weight to Insider's observation that EU and US sizes could be the same. Could be wrong but it might be worth it to have those UK sizes until we can get US sizes in their place.

Grabbing from some US xbox.com postings (not including what's already reported, though I may have missed a few postings here):

Guitar Hero Smash Hits: 5.0->2.9
Guitar Hero Metallica: 6.8->6.8
Guitar Hero World Tour: 6.5->5.9
Left for Dead GOTY: 5.0->3.8
Overlord 2: 3.4->3.2
Saints Row 2: 6.8->6.8
The Bigs 2: 6.8->6.5
Tiger Woods PGA 10: 6.5->6.4
Assassin's Creed: 6.7 -> 6.6
Guitar Hero II: 3.4 - > 2.4
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: 6.8 -> 6.8
Kung Fu Panda: 5.2 -> 3.6
Marvel Ultimate Alliance: 5.9 -> 5.5
Perfect Dark Zero: 4.9 -> 4.9
Rock Band Track Pack: AC/DC Live: 3.4 -> 2.6
Sonic the Hedgehog: 5.6 -> 5.2
Splinter Cell: Double Agent: 6.8 -> 6.7
Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires 6.3 -> 5.6
Grid 6.6 ->6.4
Sonic Unleashed: 5.9 -> 5.7

From the xbox.com forum

Phantasy Star Universe - 6.8GB > 6.4GB

Also, Page 38 onwards has games that haven't been updated since SynGamer's last update on 6:59PM yesterday. please look through them before posting your findings as several members (myself included) have posted information on tons of games since then. No need to post your findings if someone else has already.

Hey, Syn, you missed a game posted before your 6:59PM update last night:

From FriskyTanuki
Gears of War - 6.3 GB - .2 GB less

Also, some new ones (apologies if these were posted before):

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - 4.2GB
Far Cry Instincts Predator - 4.5GB
Eternal Sonata - 6.7GB

[quote name='darklinkinfinite']More updated install sizes from the new Dash update:

Chromehounds: 3.5 GB
Clive Barker's Jericho: 3.1 GB
Devil May Cry 4: 6.5 GB
Eternal Sonata: 6.7 GB
FarCry Instincts: Predator: 4.5 GB
F.E.A.R: 3.8 GB
F.E.A.R Files: 6.2 GB
Frontlines: Fuel of War: 6.3 GB
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2: 6.8 GB (No Change)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: 6.8 GB (No Change)
Mirror's Edge: 5.5 GB
N3: Ninety-Nine Nights: 5.4 GB
Perfect Dark Zero: 4.9
Resident Evil 5: 6.7 GB
Sonic the Hedgehog: 5.2 GB
Soul Calibur VI: 4.3 GB
Splinter Cell: Double Agent: 6.7 GB
Star Trek: Legacy: 4.7 GB
Tomb Raider: Anniversary: 3.0 GB
Tomb Raider: Legend: 6.6 GB
Tomb Raider: Underworld: 6.6 GB
Turok: 6.4 GB
Two Worlds: 2.9 GB[/QUOTE]

Are these all N.A. games?

The Godfather II - 6.4GB
The Godfather - 5.7GB
Flatout Ultimate Carnage - 4.3GB
Fight Night Round 4 - 4.2GB
Fracture - 3.8GB

[quote name='Doomed']Why is http://www.gameinstalls.com/ linked if we keep using this thread? Wouldn't it be easier to just move all work to that site?

[ignored last time, trying again][/QUOTE]

People are free to post there as well, but here, we have complete control over the list. I think our system is fairly easy to understand; red = bad, white = no change, blue = a slight improvement, and green = definitely worth installing. The problem I see is that the other site can be manipulated by users in terms of ratings and such.

GameInstalls.com was born out of the work we did here. The link is there in hopes that people will use the site but people might know this one more and just be inclined to update here first. That's my reasoning, at least.

The site isn't being ignored, though, as I'm just about to send an influx of game size changes there right now. Sending it directly to the site operator, though, so I don' expect it to reflect immediately.

Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights - 5.1GB
Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix - 4.5GB
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince - 2.9GB
Infinite Undiscovery - 10.8GB [Disc 1 - 4.7GB, Disc 2 - 6.1GB]

bread's done
Back