XBOX 360 Jasper Chip Discussion

i bought a refurbed 360 on one of those ebay deals things for $99 and it broke within 2 weeks, I exchanged it and now i have a Japer (for $99!!!!) and my friend claims its quieter but i cant tell the difference and the power brick is super light and the cables aren't as thick anymore. Nobody can tell right now what the reliability of the system is because at this point we are all guinea pigs, only time will tell.

[quote name='mjohnson798']Just ordered one from Dell, I'm hoping for a Jasper!!!![/QUOTE]
If you ordered an arcade unit it's pretty much guaranteed to be a jasper.

Hmmm i'm not positive but I just bought a elite on friday and the date says 10/2008 and i'm pretty sure it has those numbers on the back so i'm thinking i may have a jasper. which would be really nice cause so far it makes far less noise than my old non-hdmi system and i played in for like 7 hours the day i got it and it never felt hot in the back. mine still makes noise but it sounds nothing like a vaccum like my old one did. with the 120gb hd i'll just download all my games onto it and not hear anything at all.

Interesting. I just bought a Pro 60GB Holiday Bundle tonight to replace my dead launch system and it shows the 12V==12,1A on the back. Guess they started making 60GB Jaspers. It has a manufacture date of 11-06-2008.

order an arcade from dell, just yesterday... couldn't resist...

warrenty up on the lanuch system, good thing i sent it in for RROD last month...

Always nice to have a back up, when the lanuch model chokes again..

launch xbox rrod on me once more as it always does once every 6 months , had enough of it went to Wal Mart picked up Arcade pack , got home opened it up and saw a smaller GPU on the board and now happy that i have a jasper

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']launch xbox rrod on me once more as it always does once every 6 months , had enough of it went to Wal Mart picked up Arcade pack , got home opened it up and saw a smaller GPU on the board and now happy that i have a jasper[/quote]

So you voided your warranty, just to find out you have jasper? Or can you see through the grill?

You can tell it's Jasper if the 12V rail is rated 12.1 amps. Anything else is not a jasper.

voided warranty , put it in a pc-xb01 Lian Li replacement case no RROD for this one. i don't care what MS says about redesigned board, chip , or power i am not taking any chances with this one 120MM fan better then 2, 60MM

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']voided warranty , put it in a pc-xb01 Lian Li replacement case no RROD for this one. i don't care what MS says about redesigned board, chip , or power i am not taking any chances with this one 120MM fan better then 2, 60MM[/quote]

yet it doesn't fix the clamps bending the motherboard causing the solder to disconnect thus causing the red ring of death.

[quote name='Wolve11']yet it doesn't fix the clamps bending the motherboard causing the solder to disconnect thus causing the red ring of death.[/quote]
if the heat was there yeah but no real heat that I've seen yet , temp on GPU and CPU running about 125F. GPU is now open to air and so it the motherboard less heat is kept around it for warping of the board more heat moves out. Plus the socket 775 CPU coolers that i have tried just to see if they'd fit did thinking about the whole water cooling solution next.

launch system i will bring back to life useing buddys rework station https://www.manncorp.com/specialty-...04.6x_xbox_repair_station/index.php?auto=done Already place order for 2nd case for launch system. Case is not that much bigger the stock 360 case , and open for easy customization if you've ever done PC case modding

there the how to for doing it with the rework station if you have a extra $12,000 laying around https://www.manncorp.com/specialty-...box_repair_station/Xbox 360 Repair_092408.pdf

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']if the heat was there yeah but no real heat that I've seen yet , temp on GPU and CPU running about 125F. GPU is now open to air and so it the motherboard less heat is kept around it for warping of the board more heat moves out...

launch system i will bring back to life useing buddys rework station https://www.manncorp.com/specialty-...04.6x_xbox_repair_station/index.php?auto=done Already place order for 2nd case for launch system. Case is not that much bigger the stock 360 case , and open for easy customization if you've ever done PC case modding[/quote]

Sounds cool. I might try a fan on the grill next to the hdd to bring more air over the GPU. I don't know why MS doesn't just use higher quality solder, or change the connection, and/or the heatsink clamps.

I am hoping playing games off hdd will get temps down even more than Jasper alone. I would have gotten a 360 a long time ago, if they weren't such piles.

[quote name='Wolve11']yet it doesn't fix the clamps bending the motherboard causing the solder to disconnect thus causing the red ring of death.[/QUOTE]

Heat is a big part of that. Fixing the heat issue and not the clamp issue is better than fixing neither.

Fixing both, of course, would be the best still.

[quote name='Spoon_si']Got my arcade today... everything is confirmed above to be jasper,

but the power brick rating says: 175W

am I safe?[/quote]

You have internal memory? You're probably fine. The power brick can be more, the unit just won't draw the full 175w. The cable that connects the brick to the 360 is detachable so the 175w bricks can be used w/ 150w 360's despite the new plug in the back.

[quote name='kevlar51']You have internal memory? You're probably fine. The power brick can be more, the unit just won't draw the full 175w. The cable that connects the brick to the 360 is detachable so the 175w bricks can be used w/ 150w 360's despite the new plug in the back.[/QUOTE]

yep internal memory

thanks.

[quote name='Spoon_si']Got my arcade today... everything is confirmed above to be jasper,

but the power brick rating says: 175W

am I safe?[/quote]

how much did your shipment weigh? Mine was 13.3 lbs I think. I would prefer to get the 150W power supply, for size and weight reasons.

[quote name='playing mantis']how much did your shipment weigh? Mine was 13.3 lbs I think. I would prefer to get the 150W power supply, for size and weight reasons.[/QUOTE]

My shippment boxes just say 14 lb.

did some research, and many jasper are bein shipping w/ older PSU, because of back stock..

I was afraid of my system bein mislabeled, but to be really sure is by looking where the power supply unit plugs into the system, the jasper has a slit in the middle of the plastic tab.. that is 100% sure. which means new 150W PSU will plug right in, but will not fit any other model 360 units.

check picture

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/gadgets/microsoft/jasper/identifying.jpg

it would nice to get a 150 PSU, but hell it doesn't matter...

[quote name='Spoon_si']
I was afraid of my system bein mislabeled, but to be really sure is by looking where the power supply unit plugs into the system, the jasper has a slit in the middle of the plastic tab.. that is 100% sure. which means new 150W PSU will plug right in, but will not fit any other model 360 units.
[/QUOTE]

Or you could check the for the 12.A like we have already discussed in this thread. It's way faster and easier.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Does anybody know anything about elite jaspers?[/quote]

Start poking around at your local electronic store.

Just got my Jasper Arcade on Sunday after using my 2 year warranty plan with Microcenter. So far it seems quiter than my old refurbished/repaired unit I got from MS in April of 2008. It doesn't "CLANK" anymore when booting, but it does state a few seconds before it cycles the rings. The drive is a Toshiba which seems to slowly eject with hestitation.

Had to delete all my installed games from my 120 and reinstall them, but other than that, HDMI :) Guess my plan two years ago worked!

[quote name='eastx']Congrats, ItdefX![/quote]

Thanks...but... this more than 10 second delay before doing the ring boot concerns me. Is this "normal" for Jasper boards..perhaps doing pre-boot diagnostics before doing the ring cycle?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Thanks...but... this more than 10 second delay before doing the ring boot concerns me. Is this "normal" for Jasper boards..perhaps doing pre-boot diagnostics before doing the ring cycle?[/QUOTE]

If you are using HDMI, it does HDMI handshaking before boot which can take 5-10 sec depending on your components.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, that HDMI handshaking is a nuisance. Can't be helped.[/quote]

[quote name='Ruined']If you are using HDMI, it does HDMI handshaking before boot which can take 5-10 sec depending on your components.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up. I notice the same problem with my BR player, where my tv won't get a signal until 5-10 sec later. Wow that's a weird delay.

[quote name='Megalith']Is the Jasper seriously quieter?

Also, there's a black level option if you use HDMI output, yes?[/quote]

Seems around as quite as my repaired Xen from MS.

Wouldn't the Jasper only be quieter if it's fans were quieter? And they were probably using those fans for a few months pre-Jasper anyway.

I noticed at the store they had slightly different boxes. The holiday bundle has been out for awhile and the picture of the games pretty much covered the whole box. But now it's been shrunk and put in the bottom left corner of the box. These are definitely newer and could possibly indicate a Jasper model. I couldn't check and find out for sure though.

so the 150w power brick that came with my jasper is making an annoying buzzing sound, is it alright if i swap it with my old 203w power brick?

I don't think it'll fit. I'm pretty sure they have slightly different connectors to make sure you don't mix and match by accident. Can someone else verify? :D

[quote name='Danil ACE']203 brick works with all 360s.

150 brick only works with jaspers.[/QUOTE]

I think he means if anyone confused is "203 brick works with all 360s" yes even jasper. and I can confirm this.. it will only draw 150w not the whole 203w, so don't worry.. same goes for the 175 power brick also..

but the jasper 150w power brink only plugs into and works only on jasper...

The plug is different on the 203W AC adapter, as they changed it for the Falcon (175W) adapter.

A Zephyr/203W adapter won't fit into the receptacle on a Falcon/175W or a Jasper/150W system.

If you had a 175W adapter from a Falcon system, that one would work, as some of the first Jasper systems came with the 175W adapters from the Falcon systems.

[quote name='shrike4242']The plug is different on the 203W AC adapter, as they changed it for the Falcon (175W) adapter.

A Zephyr/203W adapter won't fit into the receptacle on a Falcon/175W or a Jasper/150W system.

If you had a 175W adapter from a Falcon system, that one would work, as some of the first Jasper systems came with the 175W adapters from the Falcon systems.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused... the 203W is the original AC Adapter, right? I have a Jasper, and when I replaced my launch Xbox 360, I used the same plug... it fit fine.

[quote name='fujishig']I'm confused... the 203W is the original AC Adapter, right? I have a Jasper, and when I replaced my launch Xbox 360, I used the same plug... it fit fine.[/QUOTE]

And it should... and would work.. my 203w brick powers my jasper & my old falcon just fine.. and same goes for the 175w brick..

150w brick fits only into jasper & only works for jasper.. kinda confusing. but yes..

Hmm just a quick question: Do all Jasper power bricks makes this sound or is it just a problem you are having? I plan to get one soon, but my room setup means having the power brick behind the couch, and making noises probably won't be good :p.

[quote name='shrike4242']The plug is different on the 203W AC adapter, as they changed it for the Falcon (175W) adapter.

If you had a 175W adapter from a Falcon system, that one would work, as some of the first Jasper systems came with the 175W adapters from the Falcon systems.[/quote]

Wrong.

203w brick fits and works with Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, and Jasper
175w brick fits and works with Falcon, and Jasper
150w brick fits and works with only Jasper
identifying_sm.jpg

[quote name='Danil ACE']Wrong.

identifying_sm.jpg
[/quote]
Indeed.

Can anyone help confirm what type of xbox I have. I bought an Elite holiday bundle a couple months ago with a manufacter date in June 08 which I assumed would mean I would have gotten a later build (at that time I didn't know there were so many types), but after doing some searches, my best guess is that I have a Zephyr. The console power plug has that middle square in-between all the connectors, the power supply is 203W and the numbers beside the "12V" on the back of the console are "16,5A." I'd prefer not to open up the housing of the console as I presume this is enough info to determine what it is. Thanks.

[quote name='jamezuva']Can anyone help confirm what type of xbox I have. I bought an Elite holiday bundle a couple months ago with a manufacter date in June 08 which I assumed would mean I would have gotten a later build (at that time I didn't know there were so many types), but after doing some searches, my best guess is that I have a Zephyr. The console power plug has that middle square in-between all the connectors, the power supply is 203W and the numbers beside the "12V" on the back of the console are "16,5A." I'd prefer not to open up the housing of the console as I presume this is enough info to determine what it is. Thanks.[/quote]
The PSUs are forwards-compatible, so technically you could have any version. My guess is that you have a Falcon. Many of the early ones were shipped with the older PSU.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Wrong.

identifying_sm.jpg
[/quote]That info I posted came from a MS rep on the Xbox phone line, so I guess I had the token idiot explain that to me.

The pic above explains it. I stand corrected.

bread's done
Back