Xbox 360 Premium & Elite w/Forza 2 & Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Supplies Running Out

PyroGamer

Banned
Microsoft this morning confirmed part of the bundle rumor that's been ravaging the Internet for weeks: All Xbox 360s and Xbox 360 Elites will now come with free copies of Forza Motorsport 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, a $90 value.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/microsoft-gives-away-two-games-with-360s-308136.php

Nice to hear the double-game bundles are finally back. Hopefully they keep bundling such great games, too (as opposed to the Tetris Worlds crap they started resorting to on the OG Xbox)

Hot on the heels of a price reduction for all Xbox 360 consoles, Microsoft is now giving holiday buyers even more value by including two great games with every Xbox 360 console and Xbox 360 Elite, a retail savings of $90 for consumers. The acclaimed "Forza Motorsport 2" (Microsoft Game Studios) and "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" (Activision) will both be included for the recently reduced prices of $349.99 (U.S.) for Xbox 360 and $449.99 (U.S.) for Xbox 360 Elite. Both bundles will be available retail-wide by the end of October.

Well, theres no guarantee of course. But less watts being drawn, and less heat being produced is only a good thing. Perhaps the falcon will have a totally different issue crop up months down the road but for right now it addresses some of the big problems haunting the system. Heat eats up basically any piece of electronics. I mean im so pathetically into the practice of removing it I sit around and doodle air flow designs for various computer cases when im bored.

Are the falcons a cure to xbox problems? Not likely, but I cant imagine nearly as many will be keeling over quite so fast anymore.

Got my backordered Pro bundle from Fry's. It's a zephyr with the 90nm. Booo! I thought for sure my chances would have been good.

Lot no 0739 Team FDOU and manufactured towards the end of September. Looks like MS is trying to get rid of old junk. Oh well. I'll replace it in a couple years when it RRODs again.

Has anyone who purchased the package at buy.com recieve the falcon? I want to by one at buy.com because it is $334.99, but want to make sure it is the falcon.

[quote name='Locinator']Has anyone who purchased the package at buy.com recieve the falcon? I want to by one at buy.com because it is $334.99, but want to make sure it is the falcon.[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine last night with free shipping, and it's already shipped :D. I'm hoping for a Falcon, but I'm skeptical about it. If you decide to go with buy.com, be sure to decline the magazine subsription. You'll then be eligible for a $10 mail in rebate.

Got one today that I thought for sure would be a falcon. Lot 0740, FDOU, manufactured 10-13-07. Flashlight dreadfully revealed heat pipe, and three copper coated heatsinks. Got it at Target with no ext warranty. Got 90 days to return and I have not opened any of the manual, games, etc. May try my luck at Black Friday somewhere and see if I can pick up any freebies. If I am going to end up with a Holiday bundle Zephyr I at least want some bonus items on top of Forza and MUA.

No offense to anyone, but you all need to STFU about Falcon-this, Falcon-that. Do you have cotton for a brain? Falcons have the new 65nm technology CPU - Central Processing Unit. The component that is causing hardware failure is the GPU - Graphics Processing Unit. The GPU is still 90nm technology in the Falcon and will not be 65nm until "Jaspar". CPU, GPU. GPU, CPU.

There is no improved processing performance of a Falcon vs Zephyr. 65nm chip technology is simply more cost-effective. It's not going to drop your XBOX360's operating temperature significantly at all. That's what the fans are for and to kill as much heat as possible for the GPU, the "dreadful heat pipe, and three copper coated heatsinks". Copper is a good conductor of electricity and heat - meaning heat likes to travel through it AWAY from the GPU. Low density, very light, does not rust. Yeah, "DREADFUL".

Cotton brains, I tell ya.

[quote name='misbitski']Got my backordered Pro bundle from Fry's. It's a zephyr with the 90nm. Booo! I thought for sure my chances would have been good.

Lot no 0739 Team FDOU and manufactured towards the end of September. Looks like MS is trying to get rid of old junk. Oh well. I'll replace it in a couple years when it RRODs again.[/QUOTE]

The Zephyrs have the added heat sink, so they should be less like to RROD.

The falcon shouldn't make all that much difference, as has been noted in the forums repeatedly (including 2 posts above this one), since the GPU which causes most of the heat is still 90nm in it anyway.

Glad to see Frys.com coming through on the backorders though! I've enjoyed the hell out of mine that I was lucky enough to get right away.

Screw it- I've waited long enough and I have 10 360 games already- I'm going to order one today- likely from Amazon

EVEN THOUGH THEY DO CHARGE SALES TAX

Yes, I live in Washington State

When I get it I'll let you all know what one it is- though I wouldn't doubt that I get an older one. I'm kind of resigned to just spend the extra money on the extended warrantee and buy another one two years from now if I need too.

Cheaper than a single high performance video card (Defined as the best video card available- I.E. the ones that run $500+)

I started seeing the Elite in my Amazon Gold box for $427.49. Might want to check yours on amazon. That's a pretty good deal shipped free and no tax most states.

I just bought the Xbox 360 Elite Bundle at Best Buy...bought Eternal Sonata and Oblivion: GOTY with it, and to be safe bought the 2 yr warranty for it...After waiting on the fence for MS to fix the faulty 360 after 2 yrs, took the plunge and am now "officially" a Multi-console owner :D :p....hope the one I have was a Falcon, but if it wasn't, I'll wait when my warranty is almost up, before I decide to make the switch, which by than should be a perfectly fine and working 360, RROD free, hopefully.

[quote name='NolbertoS']I just bought the Xbox 360 Elite Bundle at Best Buy...bought Eternal Sonata and Oblivion: GOTY with it, and to be safe bought the 2 yr warranty for it...After waiting on the fence for MS to fix the faulty 360 after 2 yrs, took the plunge and am now "officially" a Multi-console owner :D :p....hope the one I have was a Falcon, but if it wasn't, I'll wait when my warranty is almost up, before I decide to make the switch, which by than should be a perfectly fine and working 360, RROD free, hopefully.[/quote]

I hope you are a Reward Zone member and chose Holiday Choice #1: "Get 750 additional RZ points for spending $500+".

That means for spending $500, you get 500 points - that's worth $10. An additional 750 RZ points - that's $15 certificate - for a grand total of $25 in certificate. If not, then sorry but I must have to say it...SUCKA

Unless of course you don't have the offer in Canada.

[quote name='nintendokid']I hope you are a Reward Zone member and chose Holiday Choice #1: "Get 750 additional RZ points for spending $500+".

That means for spending $500, you get 500 points - that's worth $10. An additional 750 RZ points - that's $15 certificate - for a grand total of $25 in certificate. If not, then sorry but I must have to say it...SUCKA

Unless of course you don't have the offer in Canada.[/QUOTE]

Actually bought both my PS3, Wii and 360 in the USA and I am a Rewards Zone member ;)..thx for the heads up though.

[quote name='bugg33']I started seeing the Elite in my Amazon Gold box for $427.49. Might want to check yours on amazon. That's a pretty good deal shipped free and no tax most states.[/QUOTE]

Any idea what you did to trigger that? I checked my goldbox, and it doesn't have anything useful.

[quote name='friedram']...
Cheaper than a single high performance video card (Defined as the best video card available- I.E. the ones that run $500+)[/QUOTE]

That's not a fair comparison. You can get a $120 video card with more power than the 360's GPU. A $250 card absolutely decimates the 360.

I picked up a 360 "Pro" from Gamestop tonight, but I'm having second thoughts about whether I should just keep waiting-maybe pick one up a month from now?

It's a 739 FDOU from 9/24/07, which it sounds like another person on here said was a Zephyr. I'd actually rather have a Zephyr with a quiet drive than a Falcon that's loud, but I have no idea how to determine the drive without opening the package.

[quote name='nintendokid']No offense to anyone, but you all need to STFU about Falcon-this, Falcon-that. Do you have cotton for a brain? Falcons have the new 65nm technology CPU - Central Processing Unit. The component that is causing hardware failure is the GPU - Graphics Processing Unit. The GPU is still 90nm technology in the Falcon and will not be 65nm until "Jaspar". CPU, GPU. GPU, CPU.

There is no improved processing performance of a Falcon vs Zephyr. 65nm chip technology is simply more cost-effective. It's not going to drop your XBOX360's operating temperature significantly at all. That's what the fans are for and to kill as much heat as possible for the GPU, the "dreadful heat pipe, and three copper coated heatsinks". Copper is a good conductor of electricity and heat - meaning heat likes to travel through it AWAY from the GPU. Low density, very light, does not rust. Yeah, "DREADFUL".

Cotton brains, I tell ya.[/quote]

Ill just repeat it one more time I guess, though I doubt the knowledge will be absorbed. 65nm chips draw significantly less power than 90nm chips. Less power is less heat being generated. Yes, we all know the rrod are concerning the GPU. The xbox forums are filled with people who have to be contrary and gleefully point this out. Yes, copper is a damn fine heat conductor and is better than what the falcons have. However, 65nm chips produce so little heat in comparison the heatsink could practically be made of pot metal and be alright. If you have been even peripherally aware of computer hardware in the last couple years you would be aware of that fact. Basically, less heat from the CPU = less ambient heat in the xbox = lower GPU temperatures. The general rule of thumb is 1 degree difference in ambient temperature is ~0.8 degree difference in component operating temperature. The CPU operating quite a few less degrees than normal (and producing less ambient heat) therefore will directly affect the temperature of the GPU. Fans will of course mitigate this effect but not to the degree you seem to think.

Anyhow, im not out to argue. But having a 65nm chip is certainly better and theoretically should lower failure rates. At this point its rather academic of course as to what degree lowering the ambient heat will have on the GPU design flaw. I guess we will just have to see. Although I doubt microsoft will be too forthcoming with failure rates.

[quote name='Big Wang']so is it worth it to get the 2 year warranty for xbox 360 if i bought ti at target? The warranty were like 30 dollars.[/quote]

definitely yes, if it's a replacement warranty. if it's a service warranty you might as well just keep what you have since MS will service it for 3 years (for red rings).

I got a Premium one last Friday as well... also went with the 2-year warranty (which was only $28 at Walmart). In addition I got Oblivion GOTY, and Perfect Dark Zero. I also got a $20 points card.

And so far, I've been too caught up in Catan to play anything else.

[quote name='relith']
Anyhow, im not out to argue. But having a 65nm chip is certainly better and theoretically should lower failure rates. At this point its rather academic of course as to what degree lowering the ambient heat will have on the GPU design flaw. I guess we will just have to see. Although I doubt microsoft will be too forthcoming with failure rates.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is arguing that it won't help some. Just that it's not a hugely big deal, and people shouldn't be so obsessed with finding a Falcon. Especially when as of yet there's no way to tell that you're getting one without opening the box and looking in side with a flashlight.

The added heat sink in the Zephyr should help a lot, and if you still get the RROD you have the three year warranty (or a store replacement plan if you bought one) to cover, so if people really want a 360 they should just buy one and enjoy it IMO.

The failure rate sucks, but hopefully the Zephyr cut that way back as did the Falcon, so I wouldn't worry about it now. Especially with the 3 year warranty. I know MS is slow with getting a fixed console to people, and I guess that could suck for people that only have a 360 and play a lot. But it doesn't bother me since I also have a Wii and DS and don't game all that much anyway.

[quote name='Big Wang']so is it worth it to get the 2 year warranty for xbox 360 if i bought ti at target? The warranty were like 30 dollars.[/quote]

I made a post back a few weeks ago. You might want to read on. It's a little long so I'm SPOILING it:

There are 2-3 very critical differences between Target and BB extended warranty. One thing to note is that in order to repair a 360 without voiding the Microsoft warranty, you need to be a trained and licensed MS technician...meaning you work at Microsoft. Why is that important? Read on to Target's part below. I shall do my best to explain it:

BB:
a) official name is "Product Replacement Plan". "Replacement" is the key word here. There is no attempt to fix on BB's part whatsoever, not that Geek Squad would even know where to start for something so technical as 360 hardware.

b) you get the full original purchase amount back to you. Feel like you no longer want a 360? Buy anything else you want in the store. Bought a Pro 360 back when it was $399? Hey, why not buy the Halo 3 version or better yet, pick up a new Pro and put the $50 towards a new PRP.

Target:
a) official name is "Extended Service Plan". "Service" is the key word. On the service plan product card it clearly states "If we can't fix it, we'll replace it." HERE In other words they never said replacement...unless they can't do anything to fix your original actual product. But how can Target attempt to fix it without having licensed MS technicians? The second you open a 360 console without a Microsoft employee badge and a job title like engineer, the company warranty is VOIDED.

b) you do not get an actual refund of some sort but are only given a new equivalent product (if you are lucky and they can't fix it). This is irregardless of the original purchase amount. Bought a Pro 360 back when it was $399? Tough luck, you don't get the $50 back.

Wanna bet that Target's 360 repair center is 1-800-4MY-XBOX?

"Hello and thank you for calling XBOX service help. How may I help you today?

"Hi. This is Target warehouse 0123. There is a 360 that needs repair from retail location 4567. This cannot be a refurb exchange because this is a warranty-liable purchase. We need to know by next week if it can be fixed."

"Sure thing. I'll be sure to note that right now for this serial number. Are there any other 360s that need to be sent in from that location?"

[quote name='spookyhurst']I ordered mine last night with free shipping, and it's already shipped :D. I'm hoping for a Falcon, but I'm skeptical about it. If you decide to go with buy.com, be sure to decline the magazine subscription. You'll then be eligible for a $10 mail in rebate.[/QUOTE]

I got my 360 today. I looked in the bottom, and of course it's pretty hard to see. But based on the pictures radjago posted, it looks like a launch version. It has an HDMI input though, so I must be mistaken. I hope. Oh well, I'll just buy the extended warranty to give me a little peace of mind.

[quote name='bugg33']I started seeing the Elite in my Amazon Gold box for $427.49. Might want to check yours on amazon. That's a pretty good deal shipped free and no tax most states.[/QUOTE]

I got the same thing, but it was the non-bundled version of the Elite. So, I guess the question becomes is MUA and Forza 2 worth $22.50? :cool:

Huh, I just got a regular 360 in my gold box for about $20 off. First useful Goldbox thing in years (although I don't bother checking it anymore...)

It too is one without the free games. For myself personally, I'd rather save the cash.

I already picked up 360 #4 a couple of days ago though, and completely hit the jackpot with it!

[quote name='orimental']Go Pro boxes on Black Friday? Or just repackaged bundles?[/quote]

"Go Pro" boxes are like the amount of snow we have in Minnesota right now: NONE!

They are all just Pro packages with the sticker. At least you can still buy a Pro if you wanted. I haven't even seen a regular non-bundled Elite anywhere for weeks.

Got my Elite from Amazon before Thanksgiving. Runs incredibly cool, very quiet. I love it- I wish I hadn't felt like I had to wait to get one.

[quote name='nintendokid']"Go Pro" boxes are like the amount of snow we have in Minnesota right now: NONE!

They are all just Pro packages with the sticker. At least you can still buy a Pro if you wanted. I haven't even seen a regular non-bundled Elite anywhere for weeks.[/quote]

Haven't seen a "Go Pro" box yet. My local Best Buy has a pile of 360s, many of which don't even have the stickers and are 2006 date codes.

[quote name='gantt']Haven't seen a "Go Pro" box yet. My local Best Buy has a pile of 360s, many of which don't even have the stickers and are 2006 date codes.[/QUOTE]

Those are probably the Black Friday stock where you can get Guitar Hero II free with purchase.

[quote name='orimental']Those are probably the Black Friday stock where you can get Guitar Hero II free with purchase.[/quote]

No doubt; they had a bunch of GHII left as well. But I don't think there's anything that restricts that deal to non-holiday bundle units.

I'm a little surprised that a) they had such old stock (it's a very busy store in a big city) and b) they hadn't repackaged more/all of them as holiday bundles.

[quote name='Mako1215']Does anyone know if Wal-Mart has a replacement plan since it'll prolly be cheaper then best buy?[/QUOTE]

They do, but you don't really need it. The one major problem everyone's having (RROD) is covered for three years by Microsoft.

[quote name='relith']Ill just repeat it one more time I guess, though I doubt the knowledge will be absorbed. 65nm chips draw significantly less power than 90nm chips. Less power is less heat being generated. Yes, we all know the rrod are concerning the GPU. The xbox forums are filled with people who have to be contrary and gleefully point this out. Yes, copper is a damn fine heat conductor and is better than what the falcons have. However, 65nm chips produce so little heat in comparison the heatsink could practically be made of pot metal and be alright. If you have been even peripherally aware of computer hardware in the last couple years you would be aware of that fact. Basically, less heat from the CPU = less ambient heat in the xbox = lower GPU temperatures. The general rule of thumb is 1 degree difference in ambient temperature is ~0.8 degree difference in component operating temperature. The CPU operating quite a few less degrees than normal (and producing less ambient heat) therefore will directly affect the temperature of the GPU. Fans will of course mitigate this effect but not to the degree you seem to think.

Anyhow, im not out to argue. But having a 65nm chip is certainly better and theoretically should lower failure rates. At this point its rather academic of course as to what degree lowering the ambient heat will have on the GPU design flaw. I guess we will just have to see. Although I doubt microsoft will be too forthcoming with failure rates.[/quote]

Ooo. That was a nice read. I went to Best Buy today to get a 360 and I didn't realize it was the old 90nm. And both of my cousins got the new falcon board except for me. D: So tomorrow morning I'm going to either exchange or refund. xD Do you guys think they will let me do that?

i picked the black friday deal up today at like 3 pm at best buy.
it was the old 360 box w/o the games, manufactured in 8/06.
it already froze up 5 times in the past 2 hours.
i'm definitely going to return it for a newer bundle.

If you guys do get a new bundle, you should check the watts. The falcons are 175W while the zephyrs are 200W+. I don't know the exact number for the Zephyr, but it is over 200W. Makes sense, the new one uses less power...

im happy with my purchase..but its not a falcon =( but its the pro bundle and recieved a 50 dollar gift card, (which i bought a controller) haha! but i waited

[quote name='koji126']If you guys do get a new bundle, you should check the watts. The falcons are 175W while the zephyrs are 200W+. I don't know the exact number for the Zephyr, but it is over 200W. Makes sense, the new one uses less power...[/QUOTE]

Where can I check that? Can I find that on the outside of the box?

[quote name='orimental']Where can I check that? Can I find that on the outside of the box?[/quote]

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=552406

Well there is a white sticker on the box somewhere with barcodes and etc. You can also open up a flap on the top of the box to reveal the serial number and manufacture date. Those are important in determining if an Xbox 360 has a falcon mobo.

i don't know if they're reliable or not, but i have heard reports of the Falcon units also dying on people. again, people may just be confused or lying, but as far as reliable will go, only time will tell. one thing is for sure, they do consume less power, run cooler and are much quieter.

Just got the premium bundle. Looks like the sticker reads 203 watts. Bummer. Maybe Ill return it for a Falcon biatch!;)

[quote name='ironlion']Just got the premium bundle. Looks like the sticker reads 203 watts. Bummer. Maybe Ill return it for a Falcon biatch!;)[/quote]

i thought of that to..but i opened and played mines..can i just return it (wal-mart) do they charge restocking? um...and when does those falcon batches come out? its so rare at the moment!

I think stores are clearing current inventory before putting out the new batch. But they are out there, just in small quantities. I think they said you can easily find them in the Halo Edition bundles.

[quote name='Daemonocracy']i don't know if they're reliable or not, but i have heard reports of the Falcon units also dying on people. again, people may just be confused or lying, but as far as reliable will go, only time will tell. one thing is for sure, they do consume less power, run cooler and are much quieter.[/quote]
Falcon units are far more reliable than the zephs and launch ones. No Xbox 360 is 100% RRoD Proof.

[quote name='koji126']I think stores are clearing current inventory before putting out the new batch. But they are out there, just in small quantities. I think they said you can easily find them in the Halo Edition bundles.[/quote]

Yeah, that's right. Everybody just look for the 175W on the white sticker. :D Cheers!

I got lot 0734 Halo Ed with $50 gift card at Wal Mart, and it was not a Falcon. No problem, if it burns I will send it off and I would think it would be hard for them to not fix this or send me a newer Halo ed back? The games in the Holiday bundle are not that great anyhow (I don't care for racers).

I got a Lot # 0741, Team FDOU, manufactured 10/9/2007, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the Falcon chipset. You guys are really just wasting your time worrying about this, as there is really no way of knowing what you are going to get. On top of that, we don't even know yet if the Falcon CPU significantly improves the 360's stability. Either way, the 360 will still be loud as hell and will be covered by a good warranty.

bread's done
Back