XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Gone about 7 months now with no e74 since i got my intercooler, been perfect, made it through our hot summer real well! "Keeps knocking on wood"

I sent off my xbox last month to get repaired, received a "Tracking" number which only says billing information received on the 7th, they won't tell me when they will be shipping out my unit to me. Anyone have any experience with this, I would like to get this thing back.

I sent off my xbox last month to get repaired, received a "Tracking" number which only says billing information received on the 7th, they won't tell me when they will be shipping out my unit to me. Anyone have any experience with this, I would like to get this thing back.

They say there's a 3 week turnaround time. But I've got one in less than a week once. Another time it was over 2 weeks. Michigan to Texas and back again.

I mailed mine off on Monday and they recd it like on thursday and they mailed me out a replacment console on Friday. I was surprised about the
turnaround time.

I had E74 last month. Took 10 days from the problem occurring to shipping off and getting it back. I printed off the shipping label from the website and did not make one phone call and mailed it about an hour or two after I first got the error. Easily the quickest turnaround Ive ever experienced with them and its been working great since I got it back.

I was playing X-blades and my 360 started to blink w/ the red lights, and the picture on the screen started flashing on and off.. the sound from the game was fine throughout everything. Is this the red ring of death, or is it another problem. I'd like get in on that ext warranty before it runs out.. my ps3 needs to get fixed and now I'm down almost two consoles.

Hi,
i just bought yesterday a Xbox360 Pro and the psu says its 175W and 12.1V. The manifacturing date is 2008-12-04.

The thing is, i plugged everything in and started to play and pressed on the controller the xbox button to turn on the controller and the screen went black and i got 3 red rings.
The red rings appeared on other occasions too.
Now i am just confused. I might just exchange it. Its a big bummer to buy your first xbox and it get red. :bomb:

Try unplugging the cables and making sure theres no dust in the ports. I had a similiar experience with my elite. It went a strong 8 months after that.

Actually, i have to report that so far today, everything is fine. As far as i got from the microsoft page, its the psu and not the console itself.
Well, i hope it will be fine for now.
btw. is it recommend to get a warranty from MS?

Ugh. My "will my Falcon die" saga continues. Just tried to boot it 3 times in a row. Came on, but no video or audio, and the lights on the console were out, but all four were on on the controller. It "took" on the fourth try and booted.

Soooooo I'm still thinking I must be on the verge of something going bad, but it's been acting weird every now and again since June...

And what will I do if it dies? Oh lets face it, Microsoft still has my favorite exclusives... *sigh*

Ugh, once again I'm having trouble reading this month's OXM demo disc. I wonder if this is my drive, or if the demo discs are just super low quality?

Sweet:

THE RECEIVER REQUESTED A HOLD FOR A FUTURE DELIVERY DATE. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON DATE REQUESTED.

They must be backed up.

[quote name='zakk']My 360 is out of warranty and has the RROD, I'm sure as fuck not buying another one since I expect it'll just error out down the line like the first. Might try the llama.com repair kit, has anyone else?[/QUOTE]

so I ended up getting that llama.com repair kit, used it to replace the thermal grease and the x-clamps. Works great! I beat shadow complex twice after repairing it.

*sighs* Yep, looks like I'm in the "HEY my 360 just died!" club. Just turned mine on and was greeted with the lovely 1 ring and E74 error.

So what's the likelyhood I'll get a black elite back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after trying the support site over and over, I've got a label coming from Microsoft.

While I wait, where exactly did you guys find boxes to ship it? Can I find it at the post-office/UPS office?

I have a weird situation. This is not a problem (hopefully), just an oddity. My box was repaired about two years ago, and is definitely out of the initial warranty and even the three year initial RRoD warranty (it was bought around launch). Hoping to try my luck, I phoned Microsoft twice seeing if I could get around the $100 fee. Both times I got accented outsourced help, who put up a wall of it being company policy, that I'd have to pay. So I escalated it via email, and got to the 3rd tier of help. What I assume to be above the supervisors of the outsourced help.

Apprehensive at first, because his name was Farhod, I called him. He spent a minute or two looking at my case, my email, my warranty, etc. I was prepared to try an argument based around how my SNES still works, I don't think they properly fixed my box the first time, I won't continue buying M$ products in the future if I have to pay a $100 fee so I can get a box that will fail on me in two years, etc.

To my utter surprise, Farhod looked at my warranty and told me something along the lines that I had two years left, or I was within two years of my warranty. He said the other CS representatives must have done the math incorrectly. I asked him about the warranty, wondering if each refurb you get back gets another 3 years of RRoD warranty. Sadly, he thought I meant my new warranty, and I didn't want to make him re-evaluate the math, just in case, so I dropped it. He sent me a shipping box, and my repair is set up.

Does anyone know what happened? Did I get a free repair simply because I escalated it? Is Farhod a genius, or a moron? I've yet to see anything indicating repairs get an extra 3 years of warranty tacked on, although I may be wrong on this.

[quote name='Moses144']
Does anyone know what happened? Did I get a free repair simply because I escalated it? Is Farhod a genius, or a moron? I've yet to see anything indicating repairs get an extra 3 years of warranty tacked on, although I may be wrong on this.[/QUOTE]

I think when you escalate to a Supervisor you can problably get the hook up.

The 'math' issue was problably just him trying to come up with an excuse.

Its just that MS is going to try its best to ward off customers who are not persistant with their frontline agents.

As always when it comes to deals, be persistant and keep trying until you get a CS agent or supervisor that will do it.

I have 2 360s now. One is a Jasper and the other is a repaired Xenon.

If they break for something else fine. However if either break due to the 3 lights before the next gen of Xboxs come around and they make me pay, I will become a Sony man (in the sense of buying the majority of games for), its that simple.

I dont think I will ever have to worry about that though as I am pretty sure (knock on wood) I am good until (hopefully) whenever that is.

Well, after a couple weeks of random lockups my elite finally bit the dust last night (RROD). In a way I'm relieved it finally died because the lockups were really getting on my nerves. This will be console #3 for me in about 2 years.

Do new Xbox 360's (like an Arcade) still RROD? My launch one just RROD'd for the third time and I'm fed up with it.

I can't even send in a repair request because it says my serial is already registered, which isn't true because this is my launch 360.

[quote name='Metallic00']Do new Xbox 360's (like an Arcade) still RROD? My launch one just RROD'd for the third time and I'm fed up with it.

I can't even send in a repair request because it says my serial is already registered, which isn't true because this is my launch 360.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure its still the same console? They don't always send you back your console.

I just sent mine off today, but they did send my a 360 coffin. Is this new or what? It is an option when you choose how to ship. They sent me one and it took like 4 days. Also, my 360 has been having disc read errors for about a year now, this being my 2nd 360. I recently tried playing an Xbox game and after about an hour, the screen went black and red ringed. I haven't tried playing a disc game since I sent it in...do they actually like try to make it red ring as to check we are not lying? It did red ring, but only after a while and it boots up fine without a game inside. I honestly hope they send me a new one. If I get the same one back with the broken drive I will be PO'D! Does anyone know if they check the entire system for problems?

[quote name='frhsirish']I just sent mine off today, but they did send my a 360 coffin. Is this new or what? It is an option when you choose how to ship. They sent me one and it took like 4 days. [/QUOTE]

You must have got really lucky or they just started sending boxes, since I submitted my repair request last week and there was no option what so ever to get a box, just to print or have a shipping label sent. I'm still looking for a box to send it in actually. :(

Can I possibly just take my 360 to the local UPS place and just buy a box and bubble wrap on site, just like I can do at the Postal Office?

[quote name='Aku']

Can I possibly just take my 360 to the local UPS place and just buy a box and bubble wrap on site, just like I can do at the Postal Office?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. When I went in the store, they had boxes and packing materials for sale.

[quote name='Aku']You must have got really lucky or they just started sending boxes, since I submitted my repair request last week and there was no option what so ever to get a box, just to print or have a shipping label sent. I'm still looking for a box to send it in actually. :(

Can I possibly just take my 360 to the local UPS place and just buy a box and bubble wrap on site, just like I can do at the Postal Office?[/QUOTE]

That's odd. I put in my request three weeks ago and it was an option for me. I just got around to sending it in today though :lol:

Thank god for spare 360's.

Got mine back, its some piece of crap refurb that sounds like its going to die every time I turn it on. And lucky for me I have the really old version (no hdmi, original power cable), so I will never get anything newer when I send it in again.

I just put in my request last night, and was given the option for a coffin. I took it. When you choose between printing a label and having the label mailed to you, select "Standard" as your option, and it will include a coffin.

Last night, the wife and friends forgot to shut off the xbox. This morning I realized this and shut it down. Now 7 hours later, it freezes about 4-10 minutes in game yet I have no red rings/lights. Any ideas if unplugging it all the way and allowing it to cool off for a couple of hours will help it regain its "no freezing" glory?

[quote name='lordopus99']Last night, the wife and friends forgot to shut off the xbox. This morning I realized this and shut it down. Now 7 hours later, it freezes about 4-10 minutes in game yet I have no red rings/lights. Any ideas if unplugging it all the way and allowing it to cool off for a couple of hours will help it regain its "no freezing" glory?[/QUOTE]

its a sign, red ring imminent

[quote name='Danil ACE']Does microsoft ship jaspers back if you sent in a falcon?[/QUOTE]

This is my first experience sending one in, so I don't know for sure, but my understanding is you get the same kind you sent in. Most Jaspers use a different power supply (150w), so if you did get a Jasper back, you'd probably be screwed.

[quote name='anubis20']its a sign, red ring imminent[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I was afraid of that so I just traded it in towards a Jasper Arcade (new) before it will crap out.

[quote name='lordopus99']Last night, the wife and friends forgot to shut off the xbox. This morning I realized this and shut it down. Now 7 hours later, it freezes about 4-10 minutes in game yet I have no red rings/lights. Any ideas if unplugging it all the way and allowing it to cool off for a couple of hours will help it regain its "no freezing" glory?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it may be overheating.

So my xbox literally died (again). Not of the red rings but its video signal slowly died. At first the graphics on a game, fifa 09 for example, would become jaggad and low res, and then it just stopped working.

...so i checked my warranty but its over. However, the manufacture date on my xbox is 2008. What can i do to get this fixed? The xbox is only a year old. PLEASE HELP? suggestion?

I had bought a used xbox off of Overstock.com from Best Buy's refurbishment warehouse, the warranty had already been used once by the previous owner. I just filled out a warranty claim on xbox.com/support and was able to get them to fix it no problem. It's worth a try even if it says out of warranty.

ALSO, you could try going to Play-N-Trade, they repair systems and I asked the other day about 360s, the guy said $80.

GOOD LUCK!

thanks alot guys, but i was also wondering if anyone know if this is a known problem; the weird graphical glitches and the video signal no longer being sent to the tv. Because the same thing happened to me the first time.

bread's done
Back