XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Sounds like it would be still under the 3 year warranty. I say try the "towel" trick to "fix" the xbox (keep trying and I'm sure eventually it will rrod). Other than that I'm not sure what to say. Graphical glitches are usually the first sign of rrod.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']If you've read this far I'll give you a tip that may or may not be working for me. I decided to try something new since it broke already once and with the hassle of the send out/return to me/send out again after getting it back messed up yadda yadda...

I read up that some people have had success using laptop coolers. I didnt like that idea so much because I didnt want to use something that sapped even a USB power from the console so I wanted something non-powered and couldnt find it. SO, I made a makeshift 'stand legs' which prop the 360 UP on four legs about 2 inches and I made sure it was steady so it wouldnt shake or be messed around with while you open and close the DVD tray. I noticed that the 360 runs much cooler underneath now that its not kissing the table or whatever you have underneath it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after having a disc drive go bad on my 1st falcon and then RROD on my second, i decided that i was going to try and take steps to prevent RROD and misc problems in the future by always installing games to the hard drive and setting up my own little cooling system.

I bought a cheap plastic grate utility shelf from Wal-Mart and a boxfan and so far not even a single freeze, top and bottom of the system always feels cool and the exaust air quickly get circulated. I also make sure to dust off my system regularly.

img0361hh.jpg

my question though is, since it was manufactured 1 years ago, does that mean that the RROD warranty still applies? even if it says that the warranty is over (im guessing it just means the 90 days are over, am i wrong?)

While picking up dinner after work tonight I was greeted with two lovely emails, one with my tracking number for my repaired 360 and another giving the whole "We've fixed it!" stuff.

According to UPS I should expect it tomorrow (today since it's past midnight). Does Microsoft pony up for 1 day shipping or something? Also, is there any way to tell rather or not I just got a referbed?

BTW, on the topic of cooling, I keep my power brick and 360 on soda bottle tops to give'em some air underneath to breath. Just put one under each of the rubber feet. I've noticed both the brick and system felt much cooler.

[quote name='Aku']While picking up dinner after work tonight I was greeted with two lovely emails, one with my tracking number for my repaired 360 and another giving the whole "We've fixed it!" stuff.

According to UPS I should expect it tomorrow (today since it's past midnight). Does Microsoft pony up for 1 day shipping or something? Also, is there any way to tell rather or not I just got a referbed?

BTW, on the topic of cooling, I keep my power brick and 360 on soda bottle tops to give'em some air underneath to breath. Just put one under each of the rubber feet. I've noticed both the brick and system felt much cooler.[/QUOTE]
I did that too, only with rubber stoppers that were about an inch tall each. Apparently it didn't help either.

Does anyone know if playing games off of the hard drive helps to prevent a hardware failure?

I've had my 360 since April of 2008, and let's just say it's starting to show its age.

I have my systems (and TV, and speakers) set up on one of these (http://www.sevilleclassics.com/products.php?pid=83), which I bought at Sam's Club for $55. A bit ghetto to be sure, but I think the well-ventilated open air shelves have helped to keep my older arcade unit alive for over a year and a half.

It can take wear and tear off the optical drive. Combine that with the (far) less noice, and the sometimes better loading/performance for me, I always install to drive. (Seems archaic now that I have to have the disc spinning on my PS3 and Wii! Though at least I don't HEAR it spinning in the PS3.)

Just got my referb. UPS guy said it's the 3rd one he delivered today. XD

So I'm noticing all my non-Live accounts and anytime I play the system online all my Arcade games are only demos. Even though the support page says they transfer the rights for you during repair, I take it I'm going to have to do this myself with the license transfer thingy or do I just wait a few days?

[quote name='Aku']Just got my referb. UPS guy said it's the 3rd one he delivered today. XD

So I'm noticing all my non-Live accounts and anytime I play the system online all my Arcade games are only demos. Even though the support page says they transfer the rights for you during repair, I take it I'm going to have to do this myself with the license transfer thingy or do I just wait a few days?[/QUOTE]

You'll have to redownload them onto the new console using whatever account you used to get them in the first place, and then they'll be full when you play offline. The rights were transferred on the servers, but the data still on the HDD doesn't know that.

Sending my three red ringed circus to MS tomorrow, got the freezing after being on for a few minutes on every game I tried and then the three red rings took over. Still under warranty thank god. Perfect timing though seeing how LFD and RE5 are in the mail from the Gamefly sale. I'll let you guys know how long it takes to get my baby, or someone else's, back.

I got the RROD today after nearly 3 years of service (right before DJ Hero is released!) When I went through the process online, it said that my standard warranty expired (but will still cover the RROD). Why do I still have to enter my credit card info for this if it's only an RROD? Why would I be charged $100 for this? Just in case if it's NOT an RROD issue?

Damn you Microsoft. You should be able to fix this type of issue for infinity?

[quote name='ronaldhennessy']I got the RROD today after nearly 3 years of service (right before DJ Hero is released!) When I went through the process online, it said that my standard warranty expired (but will still cover the RROD). Why do I still have to enter my credit card info for this if it's only an RROD? Why would I be charged $100 for this? Just in case if it's NOT an RROD issue?

Damn you Microsoft. You should be able to fix this type of issue for infinity?[/QUOTE]

I would call them, you shouldn't have to put in your CC information for a RRoD that's under warranty.

You have to go to the repair service form and select three red rings, this will then change your total to zero at the bottom. Your standard warranty is expired but that is not the same as your three red rings warranty. I called them when I saw this.

Just read the entire post and I must say that was great and very informative! Because I know that I was going to consider a fan cooling system if my 360 RRODed again, due to the popular rumor that it's heat that overloads the 360. Thanks for saving me hundreds of dollars!

That's odd. My standard warranty is out as of November 2008 but they didn't say when my 3 years was up. I was charged $0.00 for the repairs ( didn't even ask for CC) and also there was an option for MS to send a pre-paid box and label. I asked for the box just to see if I did get a coffin.

We'll see how this turns out.

I just had two boxes sent out for RROD on older consoles - no charge and they came in the usual 2 days with 2nd day air labels. They changed the style of the box, but that was about all I noticed different.

Ok guys, is there some issue with Xboxs going bad after the most recent update? I turned on my 360 tonight for the first time in a couple weeks and it said I needed to updated. It updated and restarted and it froze. Now when I restart it just freezes on the load up screen, this is total bs.....

Ok I just restarted and now its the RROD ... Wow ... just wow ..... I have been so gentle with this Xbox and it has been flawless then I apply the update and immediate RROD ... fuck YOU Microsoft, fuck YOU!!! Way to treat loyal customers ...

phew ...

Ok how do I find out whether its under warranty still etc?

Thanks for listening ...

Now I have my 360 again, but I signed up for the Live preview (you know, with twitter and Facebook) and was approved. Now, I can't download the update somehow. How should I resolve this?

Now I have my 360 again, but I signed up for the Live preview (you know, with twitter and Facebook) and was approved. Now, I can't download the update somehow. How should I resolve this?

My Elite(6/2007) RROD'd on friday 11/8/09. got it boxed up and label printed. going to UPS on Monday with fingers crossed. Maybe I'll get a new one instead of a refurbed unit. but really, I just want the damn thing to work. Only got to play Dragon Age for 2 days!!!

At least it's a free repair.

Ok, well 360 #2 came down with the RRoD yesterday. This is one of the Halo systems. Any chance I'm getting another Halo system back or am I stuck with whatever they send me? I was thinking of calling instead of just submitting it online, but then I remembered the story about the kid with the autographed xbox that the warranty center apparently wiped so I'm guessing it might not matter either way.

To answer my own question from a few days ago. Microsoft says that if you send them one of the LE consoles you will get the same type back (Halo, RE, MW2). I'm a bit wary, but I guess I'll be sending out my Halo 360 shortly...

This may have been discussed already, but out of curiosity, what's the "starting" point for the three year RLOD warranty? Is it 3 years from the first console you buy, or does it "reset" with each refurb they send you? The refurb they just sent me supposedly has a manufacture date of 09-24-2009 but with the dirt and smell of cigarette smoke, it's pretty clear it wasn't new. Does that mean it's now covered until 2012?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']This may have been discussed already, but out of curiosity, what's the "starting" point for the three year RLOD warranty? Is it 3 years from the first console you buy, or does it "reset" with each refurb they send you? The refurb they just sent me supposedly has a manufacture date of 09-24-2009 but with the dirt and smell of cigarette smoke, it's pretty clear it wasn't new. Does that mean it's now covered until 2012?[/QUOTE]

Xbox.com states it clearer than what I was typing up. :lol:

New Post-Service Warranty

If we repair your Xbox 360 within the original warranty period, you will receive either the balance of your original warranty, or 90 days, whichever is longer. In addition, we will pay for the shipping both ways.
If we repair your Xbox 360 after the warranty period has expired, while you will be responsible for the repair costs, you will receive either the balance of your original warranty (if it has not yet expired for all conditions), or one year, whichever is longer.

So you don't get another 3 years, you get the balance of what you had left on the warranty or 90 days whichever is longer.

my elite RROD'd for the second time.... weak sauce.... I actually bought it from a buddy of mine... does that void the warranty? if so, what in the world is there to do with a broken 360 elite?

[quote name='stk i wvu']my elite RROD'd for the second time.... weak sauce.... I actually bought it from a buddy of mine... does that void the warranty? if so, what in the world is there to do with a broken 360 elite?[/QUOTE]

Fix it! It's super simple to do, takes less than an hour and about 5 bucks if you have thermal paste already. You could sell it also, people on craigslist buy used broken ones all the time.

I called up MS this morning because I got the E74 error and the lady told me they'd send me a box and label as soon as possible. Just 10 mins ago UPS shows up with my L4D2 :)-() and my box from MS that is a quick turn around I mean I just called about 9 hours ago. I got a box, label and the foam inserts.

Can someone update the title to remove the "No More Coffins" as they are clearly sending free coffins out again.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Can someone update teh title to remove the "No MOre Coffins" as they are clearly sending free coffins out again.[/QUOTE]

I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago and was not given an option for a free coffin.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Can someone update teh title to remove the "No MOre Coffins" as they are clearly sending free coffins out again.[/QUOTE]

I also didn't get a coffin option, and to boot when I requested a UPS label it just showed up 2 days ago. My unit has been in the "repairing" status for 3 days before I even got the label. WTG Microsoft.

Oh, and they "fixed" it and shipped it back today. VIA GROUND!!! 6 more freaking days before I get it back. REALLY!!! I have to wait till the 24th!

I had heard they used 2-day shipping, but I guess they don't.

[quote name='subieracer']I also didn't get a coffin option, and to boot when I requested a UPS label it just showed up 2 days ago. My unit has been in the "repairing" status for 3 days before I even got the label. WTG Microsoft.

Oh, and they "fixed" it and shipped it back today. VIA GROUND!!! 6 more freaking days before I get it back. REALLY!!! I have to wait till the 24th!

I had heard they used 2-day shipping, but I guess they don't.[/QUOTE]
Wow that sucks.

I shipped my console on Monday evening with the box they sent me. They receievd it on Tuesday. Repaired it on Wednseday and today they have shipped it back to me. I may have it as early as tomorrow and no later than Saturday. A 5 day complete turnaround.

UNBELIEVEIBLE!

I had to send in two 360s a few days ago for repair and no boxes were provided. I've had about 5 RRODs and sometimes the 1-month XBL Gold card is sent with the repaired unit.

I had to call MS XBOX360 support for two consoles to be shipped with RROD since they are not showing up as registered for the online repair process at xbox.com.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Wow that sucks.

I shipped my console on Monday evening with the box they sent me. They receievd it on Tuesday. Repaired it on Wednseday and today they have shipped it back to me. I may have it as early as tomorrow and no later than Saturday. A 5 day complete turnaround.

UNBELIEVEIBLE![/QUOTE]

guess I gotta learn to blow the right support tech. :applause:

[quote name='subieracer']guess I gotta learn to blow the right support tech. :applause:[/QUOTE]
Never once spoke with tech support. Just went online, said "repair my hardware" selected "send me a box" and it came 2 days later. I boxed it up sent it and now it's on it's way back.

The first time my xbox broke I somehow got moved up to some priority list due to a small issue in getting a box. For my problem they gave me a free controler. Perhaps I'm still on this "list", but really I have no idea.

Sent out my halo system today. Guess we'll see how long this takes and if I actually get a Halo system back. One of the "good" things about this piss poor hardware is that if you have had a system for a while or multiple systems, you probably have an extra coffin sitting around somewhere. I just entered my info online, packed up my system in an old coffin I had and shipped it out.

My 2nd 360 died on me late last night. It died in its' sleep. Checked the power cords and everything, and it won't even fire up to the dash like my first 360 would. It's still under Target's warranty, so I might be getting it exchanged.

So yeah...that definitely sucks. Someone point me towards the DRM migration link, please.

I just bought an xbox 360 from my friend with the E74. Tried to get it repaired online but it says the serial is already registered. Not sure why he didn't get it fixed and registered it becuase the MFG date is 9/29/07. Is there anything I can do in this situation? Can I call MS and tell them I bought it used or something and need to transfer the serial over? Not sure what to do.

:edit: never mind, called technical support.. 10 minutes later the console was registered to my name and the tracking slip was being printed. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back