XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

okay I did some research and the elite unit I received is most likely a jasper. the loud noise I kept hearing was a sign: error codes abound (e64, e65, e68-with 64 most common and 65 every so often)

I guess I'll be requesting a repair again. it's too unreliable, takes nearly a dozen attempts until the dashboard appears without hdd. then when I attach the hdd it usually brings up a e64.

question: since I just had a unit sent in and got another back, will a license transfer still be done? I read somewhere that a license transfer can only be done once a year, unless this only pertains to the license transfer kit that consumers use and that repair center can do it whenever needed?

You can only do a license transfer once per year (I wrote the date in my calendar!) You MIGHT be able to get an exception if you contact them or whatever, since they know you wouldn't have the same system-but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Sounds like it's broken :whistle2:/

Regarding the system revision, it's actually really easy to tell. I think Anandtech posted pictures of the power connection *on the system* for all three major revisions. Used to be hard until someone figured that out, now should just take a couple of seconds to know for sure. Only completely reliable way, as the power supply, what's printed on it, etc. doesn't mean anything.

[quote name='Wolfpup']You can only do a license transfer once per year (I wrote the date in my calendar!) You MIGHT be able to get an exception if you contact them or whatever, since they know you wouldn't have the same system-but I wouldn't hold my breath either.[/QUOTE]I've been through this scenario personally.

Bought a COD MW2 Super Elite, did a license transfer from my Pro system to the MW2 system, worked without a hitch.

Went to go copy a couple of games to the HDD and they'd keep failing with the "disc is dirty or damaged" error. Tried on the Pro system, worked without any issue. Eventually, the MW2 system failed with an E67 error (DVD drive timeout) and was sent in for repair. Instead of swapping out the DVD drive, they did a whole-unit swap. In multiple places on the Xbox website it shows that when they do a whole-unit swap, they're supposed to do the license transfer automatically, so I assumed that it was already done. When I downloaded the items again, they wouldn't work without being connected to XBL, and the license transfer shows only when I did it, not anything that Xbox support/repair had done. So, I was a bit screwed after the license transfer I did and that it wasn't done again for me with the "repair" of the console swap.

I called into Xbox support multiple times to try and get through the issue and didn't have any luck, either from Level 1 or Level 2 support. I eventually managed to have a Level 3 engineer involved with the issue, and she managed to get it done with some work on her end. Took about a week for it all to be resolved and involved numerous phone calls and people getting involved to get this taken care of.

A real mess, since I was told multiple times that the license transfer couldn't be done more than once per year, so they kept saying that it was likely that it couldn't be fixed. That, and that it had to be escalated to "upper level management" :roll: to get it resolved. Xbox support was useless until I made it to the Level 3 support, which I only managed to get escalated to by emailing the VP of Microsoft's Entertainment division about trying to get the situation resolved. Once Level 3 support was involved, things started to get taken care of.

thanks for the info strike. that seems like a lot of hassle though I might be in luck sorta. when I'm not signed into Live all the games show up as trials. I even deleted them and redownloaded them, still trials offline. I guess there was no license transfer done then. maybe it's because I got a refurb and not my own unit back?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']thanks for the info strike. that seems like a lot of hassle though I might be in luck sorta. when I'm not signed into Live all the games show up as trials. I even deleted them and redownloaded them, still trials offline. I guess there was no license transfer done then. maybe it's because I got a refurb and not my own unit back?[/QUOTE]

Even when you get a refurb (don't be fooled I'd bet 99% of people get a refurb), they're supposed to do the license transfer for you.

If Shrike had to go through so much hassle, then I'd venture it would be the same for you.

[quote name='shrike4242']A real mess, since I was told multiple times that the license transfer couldn't be done more than once per year, so they kept saying that it was likely that it couldn't be fixed. That, and that it had to be escalated to "upper level management" :roll: to get it resolved. Xbox support was useless until I made it to the Level 3 support, which I only managed to get escalated to by emailing the VP of Microsoft's Entertainment division about trying to get the situation resolved. Once Level 3 support was involved, things started to get taken care of.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sad and pathetic the way these companies operate. The gatekeepers are indoctrinated to deny you everything and anything, in hopes that you will just go away. I have no issue with them doing the whole "one transfer per year" thing, if that's what they want. But once you have some kind of hardware issue, that should be thrown out the door, no matter who you talk to. You shouldn't have to go through three or four people to get something done.

I am getting a grinding noise when I turn on my system and also when the game loads up. I didn't have this problem with the system I sent in until about a week before it died. Should I be proactive and call it in asap or wait it out and see?

So it's been over a week since I sent my 360 away; it's been five days since the UPS tracking number stated that it was delivered. Yet the xbox website still says that they're "waiting" for the console.

How accurate is the "Check Repair Status" page on the xbox website, should I worry?

Just downloaded the new update and after over a year of being on its death bed it got the 3 rings. I remember in the past an update would come out and people would report that their 360 died. So has anyone else had this happen with this update? Also with the transfer kit no longer an option for free and I'm not paying them for it what is the max amount on the memory stick one can get to transfer files?

My brother in law got RROD right after downloading the MW2 map/map patch. When he called to get a shipping label, they made a note that it happened immediately after the download/update.

^^^I downloaded the update yesterday and today my 360 RRoD. Tried restarting it several times throughout the day, and then suddenly 9+ hours later right before I planned to send it in, starts working again and now is playing fine.

My 360 is two years old and know it's probably due for a RRoD. I'm hoping the RRoD was just from the USB update and it fixed itself somehow.

My Xbox 360 just died yesterday. Last time I got a RRoD was back in Nov. 2006. Therefore, it's out of warranty and not really sure what to do. I'll call MS anyway, but if I have no luck, faced with a decision.

Mana- Mine was from 2006 as well. I filled out the online return sheet. They accepted it. No money paid and they sent me back a 2010 model. So try the online form and see if it will accept it.

[quote name='Lice']Mana- Mine was from 2006 as well. I filled out the online return sheet. They accepted it. No money paid and they sent me back a 2010 model. So try the online form and see if it will accept it.[/QUOTE]when I filled out the online return sheet, they said pay $99.99.

I just got off the phone with tech support and got no where with them. They still wanted me to pay. The guy said that no one there could override that and that his supervisor was on the phone and could not talk to me. I said the hell with it and hung up on the guy. So I contacted the BBB on them and Microsoft. I contacted the BBB on the people doing the repair service because they would not even let me talk to anyone else and didnt even try to do anything. I contacted them on Microsoft because it it an odd coincidence that this happend with in 10 minutes of the April update.

Also the guy on the phone said my red ring warranty ended April 10th of last year. So I'm JWF because it died almost one year to the day my warranty on the red ring went out.

My launch day 360 has red ringed three times - I seriously think the red ring statistics are misleading. I think anyone who actually PLAYS their 360 will get a RRoD. It's not a question of if, rather of when.

I think everyone should update their XBL motto with how many RRoDs they've had. There's almost nothing else you can fit in that space anyway. lol.

I just did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsz0lNJ6JrQ

Mine was out of the warrantey and they did not want to do anything about it and the guy on the phone was an ass. So I contacted the BBB and then the woman that called from support just wanted to say that it did not red ring due to the update and that it was just a coincidence. I think that is bull shit but maybe it is just one hell of a coincidence. So instead of paying 99.99 to get it fixed I paid 23.88. It would have been less but I had not electrical tape and could not find my t9 screwdriver.

the repair center got the exchange elite. I hope I get a different unit back and not the same one repaired. if I do, I really wonder why didn't they just fix my original one and send it back. anyone ever have this happen where they got the same exchange/refurb back?

im on the repair status screen. my xbox went from arrival scan to unload scan. how many more steps should i expect? also, how do i tell if its jasper again?

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/gadgets/microsoft/jasper/identifying.jpg

compare this to the unit you get back.

I got a unit back from repair center. this one doesn't look as new as the one I got 2 months ago, though doesn't seem to be as loud for now. I still can't play my xbla games offline, guess license transfer are more likely to be done if they actually repair your console. I'll probably wait when I buy a brand new 360 until I do a license transfer using the online tool.

the most annoying thing I realized from getting 2 repair units back is that you have to delete and then reinstall a game (disc) to the hdd if you want to play it without it spinning. also if you have a game already installed, it won't play unless you go to it via the guide button and then it'll play via spinning.

Apparently I'm getting my (a) 360 back today. If I'm reading this right... I can still play all of my DLC while ONLINE, but I can't access it OFFLINE without redownloading everything?

I'm never really 'offline' unless the cable goes out, and the prospect of redownloading 50-60 gigs of stuff isn't terribly appealing to me, especially since I have a shitty internet connection to begin with.

So... as long as I'm online, I don't really have to do anything, right?

You don't need to redownload all that stuff, you'd just do a license transfer, and download stuff from your list, but it wont' actually redownload most of it. (I've found the list of stuff you've downloaded is super annoying though-includes all kinds of extraneous stuff, can't be sorted, etc.)

I just had my second Elite die on me. My launch Elite died around August '08, which was replaced with this unit. Recently, Halo: Reach would freeze on me, so I figured it was just the game, but when I try to turn the system on, it freezes during the start up screen and makes a loud noise (that's when it actually turns on and doesn't just give me the three flashing red lights). Shame it didn't happen last month, as I doubt it's still covered.

Guess I'll just wait to see if they announce the slim at E3. No sense in paying $99 for them to send me back a used one.

Actually, I just filled out the form, and it didn't ask me when I bought it. Worst case scenario, they'll just send it back unrepaired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I just go new-particularly if you have to pay them. I told Gamestop what was wrong with it, and they still gave me $50 (versus $100-this was in January). Obviously I wanted to be up front about it not working, but I just spent that $50 towards a new arcade unit, and am using my old hard drive on it.

They sent my xbox out on the same day that they recieved it. The website says that they did the repair on it. It also says they are sending me the same one back that i sent in. Has anyone experienced this before??? should i be worried that they actually didnt fix it considering the fact that it only took one day?? i was under the impression it took several weeks to fix them.

I dunno if it's my Jasper's gpu going but some of those new videos on xbox live (like the preview of the new MW2 maps) look glitchy. Are you guys having the same problem?

Hey all. My Xbox 360 has been getting the RROD lately. Sometimes it will start up, but later to freeze. Then I sometimes turn it back on again, to get the RROD. I believe I purchased my console back in 2006 or so. Am I screwed as far as getting it repaired for free? I tried to initiate a repair request, but it asks for my credit card information for payment. I would rather put the $100 towards buying an Elite console then.

Hey guys,

I just have a question. I don't have RROD, but I just want to make sure I'm covered and I thought it would be better to ask here instead of starting a new topic.

I purchased my 360 last July, so I'm almost finished with my first year of warranty. I checked on the site and it shows that I have a standard one year warranty and that is it. Is it normal for it not to show 3 years?

I don't know how it normally reads, but I just want to make sure I'm covered... I tried e-mailing Microsoft, but I just get a generic reply.

Thanks!

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought it was. I figured they wouldn't list it as 3 because of people thinking everything is covered, but I wasn't sure if it should be mentioned somewhere.

Mine just came back the other day. What's a freshly repaired, still in the plastic Elite worth? I feel like either getting a brand new one now, or waiting to see if they announce a slim version.

[quote name='lmz00']Mine just came back the other day. What's a freshly repaired, still in the plastic Elite worth? I feel like either getting a brand new one now, or waiting to see if they announce a slim version.[/QUOTE]

did you really get the same unit back? I've sent in my elite and got back a repair unit. that one had a shit dvd drive so sent it back and got another repair unit. One getting ready to pack this one up sine it's nearing the 3 months and it seems to be freezing up ever so often. I'm thinking of just sending them back every 2-2.5 months from now on :D

I'm waiting for a good holiday deal or for a slim too

[quote name='Gamer SDP']did you really get the same unit back? I've sent in my elite and got back a repair unit. that one had a shit dvd drive so sent it back and got another repair unit. One getting ready to pack this one up sine it's nearing the 3 months and it seems to be freezing up ever so often. I'm thinking of just sending them back every 2-2.5 months from now on :D

I'm waiting for a good holiday deal or for a slim too[/QUOTE]
No, it's a different one that was serviced in March.

I have 2 broken 360s that are currently collecting dust. Both of them had graphics issues, rather than rrod. The first one started showing artifacts that would go away after rebooting. That one died shortly after the artifacts started appearing. The console boots, has sound, and functions with the controller, but has no video (black screen). I also have an elite that has the same problem, black screen. That one did not show artifacts though. The screen went white slowly at first and I rebooted. When it loaded, it was OK for a while and then the color like burned away to a black screen slowly / exponentially. The effect was a crazy color burn fade to black. I'll probably pay the $99 to get the elite fixed, it was expensive.

ok I updated the FAQ with new questions just for the heck of it because I know it will be asked down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
:-({|=:-({|=I just after 4yr, and under warranty got code E74 and was hoping I could just replace the av cord.... nah, that would be to easy but I just need to squeezed 30000 pennies together and get the slim

so i think this a good place to ask this question- i sent my e74 360 out on the 4th, and by the 12th the tracker on their site said it was repaired. this monday it went to "console shipped back" and provided a tracking number for UPS, but thus far it only says "BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED". is it normal for microsoft to take so long to send it back? or does ups not update the tracking information? i'd imagine if it had been shipped out by now it would have been scanned at some location...

[quote name='y2jasper']so i think this a good place to ask this question- i sent my e74 360 out on the 4th, and by the 12th the tracker on their site said it was repaired. this monday it went to "console shipped back" and provided a tracking number for UPS, but thus far it only says "BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED". is it normal for microsoft to take so long to send it back? or does ups not update the tracking information? i'd imagine if it had been shipped out by now it would have been scanned at some location...[/QUOTE]

The on line tracking system is wonky...just give it time..it's coming...but if it's been over a month, then either someone jacked your 360 or someone f'ed up.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The on line tracking system is wonky...just give it time..it's coming...but if it's been over a month, then either someone jacked your 360 or someone f'ed up.[/QUOTE]

yeah looks like i started to get annoyed a bit too soon. just checked about an hour ago and it FINALLY got an origin scan at a UPS location, and should be delivered next tues. still annoyed that it's gonna take more then a week from the point it was repaired until its delivered back, but whatever just a few days.

now to figure out whether i want to keep it or upgrade it for the slim when it comes out.

And for anyone buying one of the new redesigned 360's I'd like to point out this article: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099382p1.html

Apparently MS is no longer offering a 3 year warranty for RROD on the new redesigned consoles. Which either means they are very confident the new systems won't have problems and/or are going to wait for another outrage of complaints/lawsuits before they go beyond the one year warranty.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']And for anyone buying one of the new redesigned 360's I'd like to point out this article: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099382p1.html

Apparently MS is no longer offering a 3 year warranty for RROD on the new redesigned consoles. Which either means they are very confident the new systems won't have problems and/or are going to wait for another outrage of complaints/lawsuits before they go beyond the one year warranty.[/QUOTE]

I agree... It's going to be a wait and see...minimum 6-8 months before the first unit(s) are declared defective. If the fail rate is below 5%, microsoft will declare a major victory over the RROD and state the problem has been fixed. We may not have a general system wide failure anymore, but money says we will have a failure of either the Wireless N parts of the system, or the touch buttons for the eject and power :|

[quote name='VipFREAK']I just got a Slim and I figure I'm screwed either way so I'm not gonna worry about if it dies.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s
So....your ok with losing 300 bucks in cash or trade ins?

I am so ready to jump into this promo, however the reports of the top part getting extremely hot does concern me as it seems like a new heating problem has cropped up that the new design doesn't take care of :|

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am so ready to jump into this promo, however the reports of the top part getting extremely hot does concern me as it seems like a new heating problem has cropped up that the new design doesn't take care of :|[/QUOTE]
Someone on another board pointed out the potential heat problem with the new hdd. It's in a sealed caddy with no ventilation whatsoever.

bread's done
Back