XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='ITDEFX']:whistle2:s
So....your ok with losing 300 bucks in cash or trade ins?

I am so ready to jump into this promo, however the reports of the top part getting extremely hot does concern me as it seems like a new heating problem has cropped up that the new design doesn't take care of :|[/QUOTE]

The top doesn't get that hot if it's laying horizontal. The vent at the top does a great job of getting rid of heat pretty quickly imo.

You'd think, given the problems, that this 360 would have been tested, and tested, and tested. So, we'll see how it performs.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I don't know the context of the pictures, but someone posted a couple of RDoD/Ventilation error message photos in the impressions thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7327678&postcount=81[/QUOTE]

Yep I saw that...

I am not going to declare it a full general hardware failure....yet...as it could be one of the new safety features on the new system to warn users that the system is getting too hot due to lack of ventilation. It's only a matter of time to see if this is true OR to see if this is the "official" screen that the device gives when the system does have a general hardware failure. I will be updating the FAQ shortly about this.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yep I saw that...

I am not going to declare it a full general hardware failure....yet...as it could be one of the new safety features on the new system to warn users that the system is getting too hot due to lack of ventilation. It's only a matter of time to see if this is true OR to see if this is the "official" screen that the device gives when the system does have a general hardware failure. I will be updating the FAQ shortly about this.[/QUOTE]
I looked into it a bit more and it apparently it originates from a post over at NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21970122#post21970122

If you read further ahead, apparently it's not a new feature...it's the same as the 2RL (1,3) warning on standard 360's.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I looked into it a bit more and it apparently it originates from a post over at NeoGAF:

If you read further ahead, apparently it's not a new feature...it's the same as the 2RL (1,3) warning on standard 360's.[/QUOTE]

ahhh I see.... I also see where people say it was ovenized lol. Thanks for the input. Never had that message before with my previous 360's that RRoD.

My console just RROD'd playing Dragon Age. I rebooted it, everything was OK. Left it on the dashboard... RROD in a couple minutes, and power flickered for some reason (only happened in my room).

I left it alone, unplugged the cable and plugged them back in etc. So far working fine (I hope) but now I'm scared. I think it's still under warranty though.

No graphical glitches, no freezes (not notably anyway, a couple here and there related to specific games) so far. I'm hoping it was temporary. The console also powered down completely while showing the RROD both times (with the flicker happening the second time). Maybe it was just a/the power surge?

What does "no more free coffins" mean? Microsoft won't provide a box, just a shipping label?

[quote name='Rhett']My console just RROD'd playing Dragon Age. I rebooted it, everything was OK. Left it on the dashboard... RROD in a couple minutes, and power flickered for some reason (only happened in my room).

I left it alone, unplugged the cable and plugged them back in etc. So far working fine (I hope) but now I'm scared. I think it's still under warranty though.

No graphical glitches, no freezes (not notably anyway, a couple here and there related to specific games) so far. I'm hoping it was temporary. The console also powered down completely while showing the RROD both times (with the flicker happening the second time). Maybe it was just a/the power surge?

What does "no more free coffins" mean? Microsoft won't provide a box, just a shipping label?[/QUOTE]I had a power surge/drop kill my first 360, so that's likely what happened.

Microsoft will provide a shipping label for the shipment, though it's up to you to find a box for it. Always helpful to keep your previously used box if you've had any previous repair, since it's an "approved" shipping box for your 360 if it gets damaged in shipment.

If you don't have one, just find a box that'll accommodate it with at least 1" of padding around all sides.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I looked into it a bit more and it apparently it originates from a post over at NeoGAF:

If you read further ahead, apparently it's not a new feature...it's the same as the 2RL (1,3) warning on standard 360's.[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised that RDOTTed. It's venting out the top yet he has it in an enclosed entertainment center on all sides except the front, brilliant...

This guy got the red brick of death 2 days after the slim came out. http://www.ironstarmovement.com/profiles/blogs/the-red-brick-of-death

The guy in the video shouldn't unplug the cable from the 360 end first.

[quote name='shrike4242']I had a power surge/drop kill my first 360, so that's likely what happened.

Microsoft will provide a shipping label for the shipment, though it's up to you to find a box for it. Always helpful to keep your previously used box if you've had any previous repair, since it's an "approved" shipping box for your 360 if it gets damaged in shipment.

If you don't have one, just find a box that'll accommodate it with at least 1" of padding around all sides.[/QUOTE]

Turns out it was a power surge, and the 360's working just fine. I had another surge happen (likely due to the heat, large numbers of A/Cs on at the same time etc) later on, in another room.

Thanks for the answers though.

Also... I put my serial in on the website under my GT, and it says the standard warranty is expired. It says I can dispute it... I have always assumed that my 360 was under warranty from 3 years from the date of purchase (Feb 18 2008), so do they enforce the 3 year E74 warranty but separately from the 'Standard Warranty'?

[quote name='Rhett']Turns out it was a power surge, and the 360's working just fine. I had another surge happen (likely due to the heat, large numbers of A/Cs on at the same time etc) later on, in another room.

Thanks for the answers though.

Also... I put my serial in on the website under my GT, and it says the standard warranty is expired. It says I can dispute it... I have always assumed that my 360 was under warranty from 3 years from the date of purchase (Feb 18 2008), so do they enforce the 3 year E74 warranty but separately from the 'Standard Warranty'?[/QUOTE]3RROD warranty covers from 3 years from date of purchase, so you're still within that timeframe if it happens again. Anything other issue than a 3RROD or an E74 issue, that's not covered because it falls under the 1 year standard warranty.

Does any one tried popping out the hard drive of the new system (after powering down of course) to see how hot it gets? Being enclosed like that with no vents doesn't seem like a good idea.

I've kind of wondered that too. The old design it's kind of nice that it's separate (although it's sealed...though hopefully it sucks heat away from the drive).

I have had two 360s suffer from the dreaded 3RRD. I love the 360 and Live but I feel like Mircosoft just doesn't care about making a quality system that isn't prone to failures. The new 360 s just changes a few things like changing from two small fans to one large and the way the system displays the 3RRD as a dot now. There are already very believable videos of New 360 s failures. In my opinion Mircosoft fails again by rushing a new 360.

There is the real possibility that this new model is LESS reliable than Jasper. We don't really know if Jasper has unusual reliability problems, that I'm aware of. I feel it's still too early to know for sure, but it already feels like I'm hearing more issues with this new one than Jasper, though it could just be that people are paying more attention to it.

Got my Xbox 360 Pro system (UA/Forza 2 bundle) on sale back in April 2008.

Since I work during the week, have a backlog of games from the last generation systems , and just don't play as much as I did as a kid or teenager on weekends, I have barely played this system (I don't have a PS3 or Wii either). In total I've played about 100 hours give or take most of which was spent on Mass Effect.

My order last Sunday for Mass Effect 2 on Gohastings was processed and I received my copy on Friday but didn't have to play it that night.

Bad news: I made an effort to play this weekend to see if I would like the changes in ME2 (not liking the changes one bit so far) and played three hours on Saturday during which the game locked up on me which I thought was strange but online postings made me think it was ME2 specific.

Worse news: I tried booting up the game today and it immediately crashed after loading an autosave. I tried booting up without the game and it was 3RRoD time.

I'm just hoping I don't have any complications getting this repair done since there is a major holiday coming up even if I get this to UPS tomorrow evening after work.

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 the last few weeks and haven't had it crash or anything like that.

I don't think I like any of the changes either, though I still love it.

[quote name='thelastgamer']I have had two 360s suffer from the dreaded 3RRD. I love the 360 and Live but I feel like Mircosoft just doesn't care about making a quality system that isn't prone to failures. The new 360 s just changes a few things like changing from two small fans to one large and the way the system displays the 3RRD as a dot now. There are already very believable videos of New 360 s failures. In my opinion Mircosoft fails again by rushing a new 360.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is immortal, and it's not fair to expect it to be. You can improve on it and make it more reliable but whether it's sooner or later, something will give. That's just life and, at least in this day and age, technology is not exempt from that rule.

The thing with mine is I've had it since October 2007, and it's the only one I've ever owned. You always hear the crazy RRoD horror stories, but it's easy to overlook this simple fact: any time you buy something, more people will tell you when it doesn't work right than will tell you when it does.

For every one person you hear who RRoD'd, there are many more who haven't, but you never hear about it because they have no reason to complain. That's why an Xbox can have a 30-some-odd-percent failure rate but it seems like everyone has the same problem, because that's the only side of the story you ever hear. The same thing happens with my cell phone and my car and the iPod and probably every other piece of technology I own.

I agree that the failure rate was and probably still is stupidly high, but the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor.

[quote name='Survivalism']Nothing is immortal, and it's not fair to expect it to be. You can improve on it and make it more reliable but whether it's sooner or later, something will give. That's just life and, at least in this day and age, technology is not exempt from that rule.

The thing with mine is I've had it since October 2007, and it's the only one I've ever owned. You always hear the crazy RRoD horror stories, but it's easy to overlook this simple fact: any time you buy something, more people will tell you when it doesn't work right than will tell you when it does.

For every one person you hear who RRoD'd, there are many more who haven't, but you never hear about it because they have no reason to complain. That's why an Xbox can have a 30-some-odd-percent failure rate but it seems like everyone has the same problem, because that's the only side of the story you ever hear. The same thing happens with my cell phone and my car and the iPod and probably every other piece of technology I own.

I agree that the failure rate was and probably still is stupidly high, but the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor.[/QUOTE]

While you do have a point, my feeling is that the shift to CD/DVD technology while great in some respects led to a higher frequency of problems in console systems whether its the Dreamcast (one of my all time favorites) laser needing recalibration after awhile, the PS2 and its laser issues, the always lovely dirty disc error of the original Xbox, to the current RRoD issues.

Sometimes it just makes you long for the days when the NES head was going and you had to keep blowing to get a game to work or use the cleaning kit (if you had one). Although to be fair even Nintendo had to pony up cash for its own NES repair centers. I don't remember the days of the Genesis or the SNES having major design issues but I could be forgetting something in my nostalgia.

I bought my original in the summer of '06, it rrod'ed, MS replaced it and then the replacement got E74 about a year and a half ago and they replaced it. So my box rrod about two days ago. I figured it was out of warrant cause my purchase date was '06. However the manufacture date of it is 08/2007. Like an idiot I cracked the box open to do the x clamp fix (which is a real trial and error process) and haven't got it working yet. I should have checked the warranty cause I think they would fix it if I hadn't voided the warranty even though my original purchase date was '06. Can anyone confirm this (even though I don't really want it confirmed because it will make me angry)? Anyway, I have no money now to get a new one. I will update if I get it working. If not I found a guy on craigslist that will fix it for $30 and no charge if it doesn't work. I have a real love/HATE thing with these machines. I'm considering selling all games/accessories/box and going ps3.
Thanks

[quote name='Energy Penguin']I have a real love/HATE thing with these machines. I'm considering selling all games/accessories/box and going ps3.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Always try the warranty first before you go tinkering with your electronics. You would probably have been able to get them to fix it, regardless of dates, especially for a repair due to E74 error. Sorry. I kind of did the same thing, but I was planning to get a new 360 anyway, and kind of enjoyed breaking it apart just to see it in pieces.

If you dig some of the PS3 exclusive games, why not give it a shot for a while? You might regret ditching your 360 games and accessories later, though.

One thing I thought about today is that the top of the new 360 has those vents and they're likely to get filled with dust that gets into the system even if you clean it often. You generally don't ever see vents on the top of electronics unless it's some crap cable box.

[quote name='Survivalism']Nothing is immortal, and it's not fair to expect it to be. You can improve on it and make it more reliable but whether it's sooner or later, something will give. That's just life and, at least in this day and age, technology is not exempt from that rule.

I agree that the failure rate was and probably still is stupidly high, but the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor.[/QUOTE]

Don't kid yourself on 360 F reliability. The design itself is faulty and all old 360's (all Xenon's, probably all Zephyr's, and possibly all Falcon's & Opus's) will eventually go RROD. It's only a matter of time. The actual failure rate in multiple studies has been well over 50%. The 33% failure rate figure is from an older study acknowledge by MS.

[quote name='J7.']One thing I thought about today is that the top of the new 360 has those vents and they're likely to get filled with dust that gets into the system even if you clean it often. You generally don't ever see vents on the top of electronics unless it's some crap cable box. .[/QUOTE]
Dust will find its way in regardless, especially with a fan(s) forcing air through the box.

Also, every (or nearly every) receiver built is vented at the top.

[quote name='Allnatural']Dust will find its way in regardless, especially with a fan(s) forcing air through the box.

Also, every (or nearly every) receiver built is vented at the top.[/QUOTE]

It certainly will which is why I often clean the area before using a system for the first time in a while. But with vents on top the dust is falling in there 24/7. Receivers usually are within a cabinet or have stuff placed on top of them and they don't get nearly as hot as a games console does so you don't have to worry much about placing stuff on top of them.

[quote name='J7.']Receivers usually are within a cabinet or have stuff placed on top of them and they don't get nearly as hot as a games console does so you don't have to worry much about placing stuff on top of them.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

[quote name='JK-C']kind of enjoyed breaking it apart just to see it in pieces.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I have enjoyed tinkering with it. I would feel a lot better about it if I could get it working, but I took a break for a couple of days and will dive into it today. Here's hoping I win the xbox 360 slim giveaway!!

Here is a strange warranty issue.

I recently purchased a brand new Japanese 360. When I registered my system (didn't know I could even register an out of region 360), I noticed that I was shortchanged on the standard warranty (instead of expiring next year, the warranty expires around the end of this year).

I call Microsoft and I was told to fax over the receipt from the store I bought it from and I'll receive a call from them within 48 hours with an update. Yea right...I have yet to receive a call from MS on the update to my warranty.

Well, I just caved in and got a new one. Traded in a bunch of games and my ds and games for an arcade. $149 at gamestop with Banjo Kazooie and viva pinata. At least I have an hdmi port and internal memory unit now, and a brand new 3-year warranty. The x clamp fix is for the man with more patience than I.

Wow, I did not know this stuff was still going on. I just put in a request for my fourth warranty repair. Never have I seen a piece of electronics break like this. My original Xbox is still going strong.

Now that the Arcade bundles are $150, I was thinking about picking one up and just sticking my old hard drive in there (I already have Viva Pinata, though), but I still can't shake off the feeling that I'm a sucker if I go that route. Then again, this is the only free time I have to play any games before grad school starts in August.

Christ.

I was thinking about the new slim model, but you have to buy a $20 transfer cable to transfer over your saved games. Screw that.

[quote name='Spokker']I was thinking about the new slim model, but you have to buy a $20 transfer cable to transfer over your saved games. Screw that.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it would be nice if they just included the cable with the slim model. They should include an HDMI cable, as well. I mean, xbox customers have put up with so much. All these failed consoles, no other electronic device could pull off releasing a product with a 30% failure rate. Just do something for the customer. At the very least they should send one to you for free.

I get the 'no transfer cable' thing from a business standpoint, since they want more money, but it certainly would've been nice to include one in the new Slim box.

Problem is... they see this as a relaunch to get the Wii crowd in for Kinect, so the logic is that people buying the new one won't need a cable. Of course, I also guarantee that anyone buying them *right now* is someone who is upgrading, or has been on the fence a really long time, so they lose out... and it'd be weird to include them as a 'limited time' thing. My feeling is that, if you weren't going to charge, is to only put them in the 250gb and up models, and leave the cheaper models to fend for themselves.

Still, for something they used to give away for free, $20 is too much. $10 is fine, I could live with $10. Luckily, though, I already had one, which made the whole process easier.

Oh, and guy up top... honestly, getting a new one doesn't make you a 'sucker'. I've been unhappier and unhappier with the refurbs I've gotten back from them, and Arcades are cheap enough that it doesn't really matter all that much anymore. I say go for it.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just want to get out of Xbox 360 warranty hell. I'll try a couple Targets and see if they have the $130 bundles in stock, otherwise I'll just get it for $150 elsewhere.

When the refurbished console does come back in three weeks it can be someone's birthday present or something, haha. While it lasts, of course.

I'm still debating if I should upgrade (well I will but not sure if I should wait till holiday season). it kinda depends on how fast some old one I bought arrives and weather GS has slims in stock.

my current refurb is nearing it's 3 months so I'll be sending it back several days before it ends. I think that's the best thing to do with refurbs since it basically tacks on 3 more months to the warranty and you get a live card (which I sell for a few bucks).

Got my 2nd RROD a couple weeks back. I'll think of it as a blessing in disguise since the three year mark from the original console's purchase was coming up this fall. Hopefully they send me a more recent model this time. The one that just RROD'd was 2007 or something. I'm hoping I can ride out the rest of the generation with this one they are sending me. I feel like I've invested too much in my current 360 (got it when it was $350 and then shelled out $100 for wireless) to upgrade to a refreshed 360. Plus, I'd rather finally get a PS3 and then I will have all three consoles.

my 360 got the e74 a few days back and I'm out of warranty already so I'm probably going to get an Arcade. What should I do with my old one?

Personnally I'd just see if Gamestop will still buy it. I just told them the error I was getting, and got half price for it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Personnally I'd just see if Gamestop will still buy it. I just told them the error I was getting, and got half price for it.[/QUOTE]
Did you have to trade in the controller and cables too or did they take just the system by itself. And how much did they give you, if you don't mind me asking?

They needed one controller plus the included cables (which I hadn't actually used).

They didn't need the hard drive-they would have given me extra, but I kept it for my new Xbox I was buying.

They have me $50. $100 minus a $50 refurbishing fee back in Januaryish.

Man MS really has us by the balls with the new models.

I really want a new model but I can't get a arcade because I *need* a hard drive - which doesn't fit the new 360's, so I'll have to buy an elite *and* a transfer cable to transfer my content over. I'm debating getting a new 360S because my console had the E74 error last year and now I read that you only get an extra 90 days of warranty after your console gets repaired, which means if anything bad happens to my 360 I'll have to send MS another $100, when I rather just get a new console to replace it.

This is becoming the most expensive system ever when you throw in Live costs.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Man MS really has us by the balls with the new models.

I really want a new model but I can't get a arcade because I *need* a hard drive - which doesn't fit the new 360's, so I'll have to buy an elite *and* a transfer cable to transfer my content over. I'm debating getting a new 360S because my console had the E74 error last year and now I read that you only get an extra 90 days of warranty after your console gets repaired, which means if anything bad happens to my 360 I'll have to send MS another $100, when I rather just get a new console to replace it.

This is becoming the most expensive system ever when you throw in Live costs.[/QUOTE]

my elite (after a little over a year) got an e74 in January. I sent it out in early Feb and got a replacement soon afterward. that replacement was much louder and had some dvd drive problems so I requested another repair after 6-8 weeks. now I'm sending this replacement back since the warranty expires this week. I plan to keep sending replacements back until I can't anymore. I also bought a new model so I can rent out the replacements to my friends. oh and I also get a free month card too :)

Guys I have a quick question. I bought my elite in January, played Mass Effect 2 for about 30 hours and it has sat ever since. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption now for about 4 hours. I install all of my games on my HD, and I've never played a game directly off the disc.

Last night, my xbox was hooked into an extension cord and so was my friend's. He was playing his while mine was off. He accidentally turned my console on with the controller and it had the RRoD. We turned it off and back on and it still had the RRoD. After I unplugged my power cord and plugged it back in, it worked perfectly.

Was this actually the RRoD? Even though it is working ok now, should I expect it to fail soon? I RARELY play my 360 and don't want it to die in 6 months when my warranty is up. That would stink.

Do any of you know any trusted and proven DIY fixes available for the RROD?

My ol' xbox pro is showing the RROD again. I got the original free fix a few years ago but now its way out of warranty and I don't want to send it in for a $99 support fix. Any cheaper options? I googled it and there are some instructables but didn't know if they worked or if they solved all or newer RROD problems.

[quote name='tivo']Do any of you know any trusted and proven DIY fixes available for the RROD?

My ol' xbox pro is showing the RROD again. I got the original free fix a few years ago but now its way out of warranty and I don't want to send it in for a $99 support fix. Any cheaper options? I googled it and there are some instructables but didn't know if they worked or if they solved all or newer RROD problems.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat, I was hoping that microsoft would reinstate the three year warranty since they sent me a *new* 360 but apparently they dont see it the same. So I am thinking about fixing my xbox with a manual I found http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/ see what happens. Not like I have anything to lose but some time.

If anyone has a better guide please post here!

[quote name='outlawz42']I am in the same boat, I was hoping that microsoft would reinstate the three year warranty since they sent me a *new* 360 but apparently they dont see it the same. So I am thinking about fixing my xbox with a manual I found http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/ see what happens. Not like I have anything to lose but some time.

If anyone has a better guide please post here![/QUOTE]

Unless you know your electronics inside and out, I would not dare to try to fix it yourself..

And what do you mean posting a better guide to fixing your 360 here? Wrong thread my friend.

[quote name='jacobeid']Guys I have a quick question. I bought my elite in January, played Mass Effect 2 for about 30 hours and it has sat ever since. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption now for about 4 hours. I install all of my games on my HD, and I've never played a game directly off the disc.

Last night, my xbox was hooked into an extension cord and so was my friend's. He was playing his while mine was off. He accidentally turned my console on with the controller and it had the RRoD. We turned it off and back on and it still had the RRoD. After I unplugged my power cord and plugged it back in, it worked perfectly.

Was this actually the RRoD? Even though it is working ok now, should I expect it to fail soon? I RARELY play my 360 and don't want it to die in 6 months when my warranty is up. That would stink.[/QUOTE]

As a little update for people who may be in the same position at some point, my xbox has been fine. I played Red dead for another 25 hours and I played through Alan Wake (probably another 8-10 hours, I didn't count), and it has worked fine.

[quote name='jacobeid']As a little update for people who may be in the same position at some point, my xbox has been fine. I played Red dead for another 25 hours and I played through Alan Wake (probably another 8-10 hours, I didn't count), and it has worked fine.[/QUOTE]

If the power cord isn't completely in, or doesn't have a good connection with the console it can display the RRoD. Un plugging, and plugging it back in fixes it. I have tested this, and all 3 of my Xbox 360's will flash the RRoD if the cord isn't in completely.

[quote name='El1te']If the power cord isn't completely in, or doesn't have a good connection with the console it can display the RRoD. Un plugging, and plugging it back in fixes it. I have tested this, and all 3 of my Xbox 360's will flash the RRoD if the cord isn't in completely.[/QUOTE]

It isn't "the" Red Ring of Death. It is just a different error code. PCs have this as well usually communicated through or coded beep at startup or lights on the back of the tower. There is also a ring of lights if the video cable is not plugged in properly or if the system is overheating.

[quote name='Renegade Moose']It isn't "the" Red Ring of Death. It is just a different error code. PCs have this as well usually communicated through or coded beep at startup or lights on the back of the tower. There is also a ring of lights if the video cable is not plugged in properly or if the system is overheating.[/QUOTE]

if it has no cable, or is overheating it displays a different red ring (2 for overheating, all 4 for no video) only the pre-HDMI systems will flash if there is no video. The main red ring of death is 3, and it means "general hardware failure." It flashes the same error for not having the power cable in correctly as it does when the system has failed.

[quote name='El1te']if it has no cable, or is overheating it displays a different red ring (2 for overheating, all 4 for no video) only the pre-HDMI systems will flash if there is no video. The main red ring of death is 3, and it means "general hardware failure." It flashes the same error for not having the power cable in correctly as it does when the system has failed.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought the three red lights was only for the video card issue. I thought power chord and a/v cables each had different quadrants that lit up. Learned something new.

bread's done
Back