Xbox 360 system update preview nets you a free copy of Reach (closed)

Kinda forgot about this...no email....checked the website and I am in the Live Beta!!! And my friends in the disc beta...so this should be fun

[quote name='Morandor']think the game will have any limitations or missing anything? I've never known about these betas.[/QUOTE]

Never thought about that. It might be limited to singleplayer or multiplayer.

YOU are in the Xbox LIVE Update Audience... what does this mean?.. will i get a copy of halo: reach to play?

sorry, i am kinda stupid... i just read the previous post... thank you :D

Does somebody knows when is the xbox live update going to be out?

[quote name='davfer']YOU are in the Xbox LIVE Update Audience... what does this mean?.. will i get a copy of halo: reach to play?

sorry, i am kinda stupid... i just read the previous post... thank you :D

Does somebody knows when is the xbox live update going to be out?[/QUOTE]
Just bookmark the website and keep checking back. What it says.

[quote name='HydroX']I'm in the Live update audience.

I wonder what the big difference is, as both are said to utilize the Reach disc.[/QUOTE]

Then you will get the dashboard update over Live like always(you will still get a special Reach disc to play). The other group will be updating the dash via the Reach disc.

i also checked my connect and saw i was in, the Xbox Live audience.

I did not get an email, i was all worried, but to see that the site says i am in, i feel better about it.

can't wait.

[quote name='thekrayze']i also checked my connect and saw i was in, the Xbox Live audience.

I did not get an email, i was all worried, but to see that the site says i am in, i feel better about it.

can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah so far the only emails that people have gotten are the ones being told they aren't accepted into the program. Getting an email was not what you wanted yesterday :lol:

[quote name='GenPirate']I got in but the page makes it seem like they have two different categories of testers...[/QUOTE]

yes, everyone has been discussing it already.

You're either in the LIVE group which means you get the dasboard update via XBOX Live
-or-
You're in the DISC group which means you'll get the update via the Halo Reach game disc.

Either way, both groups get Halo Reach disc mailed at an undetermined date. Congrats on getting in!

Still confused, why would they issue the update two different ways? I guess depends on if you have the slim 360 or the older one. Although it could also be internet speeds, maybe depending on what internet speed you chose they did it this way so people with slow speeds would not have to download the big update. Either way, thanks for the info :) I got scared and thought I wasn't getting the Halo Reach disc.

[quote name='GenPirate']Still confused, why would they issue the update two different ways? I guess depends on if you have the slim 360 or the older one. Although it could also be internet speeds, maybe depending on what internet speed you chose they did it this way so people with slow speeds would not have to download the big update. Either way, thanks for the info :) I got scared and thought I wasn't getting the Halo Reach disc.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone has their Xbox hooked up to Live. If they're using a new disc format, everyone who buys a game with that new disc format will have to have the new dash to play the game. Therefore, the update will need to be on the disc. They're testing to make sure that when someone with an older version of the dash puts in a new format disc, that it updates the dashboard properly and allows them to play the game.

No email, but every time I check the site it says it is having trouble. Weird. I can log in to hotmail and xbox and xbox rewards just fine.

[quote name='louiedog']Not everyone has their Xbox hooked up to Live. If they're using a new disc format, everyone who buys a game with that new disc format will have to have the new dash to play the game. Therefore, the update will need to be on the disc. They're testing to make sure that when someone with an older version of the dash puts in a new format disc, that it updates the dashboard properly and allows them to play the game.[/QUOTE]

Oh, makes sense. I wish I could have used the old blade style dashboard. When I got my Xbox it was the dashboard just before the current one and I for some reason have always wanted to try the blade style one (it looks the coolest imo).

I got in, trust me you don't want an email yet. Users are reporting that the only ones to receive an email were people informed they didn't get in.

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']got into the live update too.. hope the disk will come too. :)[/QUOTE]

Everyone that is accepted will get a disk regardless of audience group.

[quote name='madgamez']Yup got an e-mail said i didnt get in. Maybe because my xbox is pretty new and they dont need to test on newer consoles?[/QUOTE]

I doubt that's the case since I'm using a new slim console. It was probably just the luck of the draw.

[quote name='GenPirate']Still confused, why would they issue the update two different ways? I guess depends on if you have the slim 360 or the older one. Although it could also be internet speeds, maybe depending on what internet speed you chose they did it this way so people with slow speeds would not have to download the big update. Either way, thanks for the info :) I got scared and thought I wasn't getting the Halo Reach disc.[/QUOTE]

As someone else said, it's probably to test if updates from the disc go as well as updates from live. Personally not excited I'm in the disc group as I have high speed internet, but oh well.

It also helps them narrow down potential problems in the future, such as if people who all got their update from the disc seem to have the same problem, but people who updated from live don't they've already narrowed the bug down to something on the disc.

I have an pre-slim Xbox (Jasper) and High Speed Internet. And I got into the "LIVE" group.

YOU are in the Xbox LIVE Update Audience

· Xbox LIVE Update – The updates will be released via the LIVE service and will work with the Halo Reach disc that we are providing.
· Xbox DISC Update – The initial update will be taken directly via the Halo Reach DISC that we are providing.

[quote name='blinkFRO']So what is the main difference between the LIVE Update and the DISC Update?[/QUOTE]LIVE audience's Halo: Reach disc does not contain the update, and DISC audience's Halo: Reach disc contains the update?

So the Halo: Reach discs for the LIVE and DISC audience are going to be digitally different?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='XP1']LIVE audience's Halo: Reach disc does not contain the update, and DISC audience's Halo: Reach disc contains the update?

So the Halo: Reach disc for the LIVE and DISC audience are going to be digitally different?[/QUOTE]

I think it's something like that. Perhaps the LIVE audience will be prompted to download the update before they can play the game.

Makes me to wonder if they are going to start requiring updates to play newer games, whether you are on LIVE or not, whether it be for piracy prevention or to allow XBox devs access to new toolkits and such.

I'm also curious if this copy of Reach will have any Map Packs pre-loaded.

Got the live update as well! I'm pretty stoked especially for Halo Reach!

P.S.
· Xbox LIVE Update – The updates will be released via the LIVE service and will work with the Halo Reach disc that we are providing.
· Xbox DISC Update – The initial update will be taken directly via the Halo Reach DISC that we are providing.

That's directly from the site, and I'm a part of the disc update.

Ya' know.. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get some sort of a GOTY version of Reach that has the map packs and stuff included. Normally they send out full retail versions of games, and a GOTY version would be the perfect reason to press a new batch of discs using the new format.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I just downloaded the update.[/QUOTE]
Same here, just now!
Edit: All it did on my console is add an Xbox Beta section basically telling me to check back concerning more details about the program as information is available. No major changes on my end yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back